Chapter 9 First brief encounter*
146 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First brief encounter

 

"Fuck, it's too dark in here!"

 

As if I were entirely in a different place, the vast land was eroded with darkness. With the dense trees, the dim light from the sky can't pass through. The shrill cold hit my body. Shivering, I hug myself.

 

Why did I decide to stay here again? I couldn't help but question myself.

 

"Tsk, this makes me remember unpleasant things." I groan, regretting my actions.

 

I couldn't even get a glimpse of the night sky with these thick leaves. The path I’m taking is not even visible. My feet came to a halt as my mind came to a realization.

 

I don't have a flashlight, do I? There's no way a kid like me would have one unless someone gave me one. But I don't. Shit, I don’t like to be alone, like in a place like...

 

Huh?

 

Right then, something appeared in the corner of my eyes. Yet it didn’t incur any fear or confusion, but nostalgia enveloped me. As well as I know the most; after all, this was the primary reason why I had been labeled a freak here.

 

Ahh, that’s right.

 

“You’re here with me, Cilestia.”

 

 

A dust of lights emerges one after another, multiplying seemingly endlessly. As if some were water flowing in the air. The once-empty darkness disappeared. Thanks to the bluish mana illuminating the forest, it makes for stunning scenery.

 

“Thanks Cilestia.”

 

Expressing my gratitude, a blue orb unveils itself. Flickering brightly, she leads the way through a road of light.

 

Though I know, it's my own doing. It's not anyone's fault. Even if someone belittles me because of my incompetence, I'm the one who chooses to interact with Cilestia in public. I, myself, would be weirded out if I found someone talking about strange things.

 

At first, Lhina wouldn’t let me release my mana. Although I know the reason for that, I still retorted with my 2-year-old tone: "Mhm, I wouldn't... I just let Cilestia out.” Lhina has a troubled expression, which I didn’t expect from a calm person like her.

 

However, she discovered something about me. I hadn't realized that at that time. I get uneasy whenever Cilestia isn't around. It might be a trauma inflicted when I reincarnated here. Lhina allows it, but I need to maintain its presence so those guys won't notice. Though I get ahead of myself, I interact with Cilestia, whatever the place and time.

 

Others get the wind of it in no time. Leading them to believe that I'm a lunatic.

 

Yet, regret wasn’t an option. In this kind of world, who else should I entrust myself with?

 

We have each other; I'm the only one who knows her. It's my own selfishness and greediness.

 

“Yeah, let’s go home.”

 

Walking through the majestic path made from mana. The dark forest slowly disappears as I approach my destination.

 

………………….

…………………………..

………………………………

 

It didn’t take a while for me to get a glimpse of several lights coming from buildings in the orphanage.

 

“Cilestia, thanks for the light. You can keep it low now.”

 

Following my words, the bright mana surrounding us dissipates. It wouldn't be good if someone caught our attention.

 

“Hmm, it doesn’t seem to have any trace of mana aside from mine.”

 

A normal-looking wall blocks my way. Yes, if I hadn't discovered it years ago, I'd certainly perceive it as a regular wall.

 

Outstretching my hand, I stick my palm on the wall. Several lines of light glow dimly, as if tracing circuits. The cement wall opens a path for me. It closed down right after I passed through.

 

It's a secret passage I discovered randomly three years ago. I was practicing perceiving mana and coincidentally came across a wall with a magic circuit. As a curious child as I am, I trace it with my mana without a second thought. Thus, I acquired a route to capitalize.

 

Above all, there are bushes and trees on either side, making it impossible to notice whenever the wall opens. It’s also not near or far from our place. Now act as my hidden way any time I want to sneak out.

 

But where did those brats exit to make their way into the forest? There are no traces of mana besides mine here. This secret passage was complicated to open. A mere kid, aside from me, wouldn't be able to access it.

 

I guess I'll look at it later.

 

“Ohhh!”

 

As I walk out of the plants, the sky above welcomes me. A sight that was impossible to see in my past life...

 

"There're two moons today," I muttered, mesmerized by the sight above me.

 

Two moons are hanging in the sky at the same time. One of them was a blue color, and the other one was...

 

“Purple.”

 

I didn’t expect the rarest of them to make an appearance. My body halts any movements, captivated by the night sky above. This would be the first time I witnessed the purple moon.

 

The so-called seldom moon.

 

Overall, there are six moons in this world, although in some legends it's stated there used to be seven. Seven is the most cliché number in fiction. Why is it always seven? Aren't there nine single digits out there, plus the 0, which is also cliché? Can they pick any number aside from the cliché number?

 

Well, I guess it's not that important after all. In the history book, there are only six existing moons. And the one with the purple color is the scarcest to spot in the sky. Even I, myself, was only able to get a glimpse of this moment. That's why it leaves such an impression on me.

 

"Since I'm already this late, it wouldn't be a problem if I spent more time appreciating this spectacle, right, Cilestia?”

 

Reassuring myself with a careless attitude and even going so far as to drag Cilestia, who delightfully brightens, I engross myself in the rare scenery in front of me.

 

After watching the sky for a couple of minutes, my focus shifted to the purple moon. To think such a rare occurrence would happen today. Maybe something good is coming to me.

 

"Well, I get to taste the sweet fulfillment of bashing some lowlifes. I got to experience good things; I can't possibly ask for mor........"

 

Little did I expect the worst thing to fall on me.

 

My voice caught in my throat. A gentle voice reaches my ears from my back. It's the voice I'm most familiar with, but I shouldn't be hearing it here. Cold dread flows down my back and slowly turns on where the voice came from.

 

"Ahh…Caru! So this is where you are, huh?"

 

I meet a pair of emerald eyes; there stands the owner of the voice, the unparalleled beauty, and the lustrous silver hair that protrudes on her back with its end turning green. If I hadn't spent time with her in the beginning, I wouldn't have gotten used to her otherworldly looks.

 

Lhifhina, my current guardian, is the person who has been fostering me. We got close over all those years and even have nicknames for each other.

 

"I finally found you. I have been looking for you everywhere."

 

Her tone was gentle, but her stern expression was visible.

 

“Errr, I was so mesmerized by the scenery that I forgot the time."

 

I said it innocently, as if I hadn't committed a vicious onslaught earlier. I thought I had safely gotten away, but Lhina narrowed her eyes and hinted at something I knew.

 

"Several kids manage to sneak out from the orphanage," she continues, boring her eyes on me. "And somehow come back full of wounds. You haven't happened to know anything, have you?"

 

Well, I didn’t injure them.?

 

"Ehh, some kids manage to sneak out?!" I pretend to widen my eyes as if in shock. "Maybe the monster got them, as those teds roam around the forest?"

 

A bare-face lie is a skill learned by a liar. Yet, despite my best act, it's futile, as Lhina seems to know what transpires in the forest.

 

“And they say you beat them up cheatingly.”

 

"How do I beat them if I'm untalented? Besides, they have numbers and power."

 

I spout random nonsense, pretending to be weak. But Lhina wouldn’t let it slide.

 

"Caru, have you used your mana?"

 

Her eyes gleam, staring straight at me as though to see my soul, yet she seems to be worried."

 

Ah, yeah, a lie wouldn't work.

 

“Don’t lie; I can feel your mana.”

 

Perplexedly frozen in my feet, I remember one thing. She was the one who taught me about the emotion within mana and also the one who taught me how to sense it. Obviously, she can sense mine. No lie can pass through her.

 

“I’m sor....”

 

Incidentally, as I'm preparing for my destined fate, an unexpected savior comes to my rescue. A mysterious presence suddenly appeared near us. I promptly move in alarm at the sudden arrival, which I barely pick up.

 

Nonetheless, Lhina’s expression changed significantly to a teasing look as she turned to the presence direction, whereas I did the same, curious about why Lhina’s expression changed. There, I noticed a person I'm familiar with—not because we met before—but...

 

“Ohh, Euvialin, why are you staying out late at night? It's dangerous for a little girl like you."

 

Lhina strangely regards her cheerfully while gracefully covering her mouth with her hand. As if she’s... ain’t she mocking her?

 

Such thoughts cross my head. Although my head was busy processing the countenance of the person in front of me to utter it,.

 

She has a small body that doesn't seem to be that much older than mine. She has a doll-like structure with pale skin. Her long, unkempt hair touches the ground, wasting its glossiness. Unlike Lhina, her silver hair remained mostly on top while the rest turned purple.

 

Her eyes are composed of purple on top and blue on the lower part. Despite her beautiful eyes, it was devoid of life. Such a hazy gaze now frowns upon hearing Lhina's snide remark.

 

The appearance she has and the name Lhina called her... without a doubt.

 

She’s Euvialin from the novel.

 

There was my unexpected first brief encounter with one of the characters.

 

6