Chapter 14 Strongest power*
196 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Strongest Power

 

This world already has plenty of dangers; things wouldn't end there. The game, or perhaps the novel, has a borderline scale; this world wouldn't be the end; there's the vast dimension, and so forth. There's no telling when malice will reach me. Hence, I would need the power to withstand it. Strong enough to erase the bind of so-called fate.

 

Alas, I'm not in possession of such a power. It’d be cool if such a thing existed; the fate of this world might change course. I doubt there's something like that; there is...

 

In this reality, there are two, but then again, it's not in my hands. A hero blessed by gods. And the owner of a system that bends the rules of the world.

 

Yet, it's not enough to withstand the fangs of fate.

 

I've got no choice but to work on something I can do and let the important characters handle the rest. More than that was less than necessary; I don't need to delve deeper into a story to which I don't belong.

 

Lies...

 

That’d be the most common line of a protagonist, and likewise the protagonist of the novel. I wouldn't get involved in the story or character, so it wouldn't change the scenario whatsoever. What a load of bullshit! I would get involved in every single shit I could think of.

 

The novel says that this world has a terrible end. If the only destination is a cataclysm, who cares for the course of a faulty scenario? There’s a saying that you're the main character of your own story; if that's true, I’d be the one to make the story and choose the path to take.

 

First, I need to get through my prior path, my arc in this orphanage.

 

***

 

“Carus, this was all the stuff the Vice Head left on us for you."

 

Another boisterous day in the orphanage. I’m standing in front of one of the buildings when a modest voice with a hint of fright and awkwardness reaches my ears.

 

A woman with brown curly hair wearing a cloth that seems to be a scrub—it's a shame they don't wear maid uniforms here. She handed me a few boxes, which I directed to my storage ring given by Lhina before. It’s the standard model of this world's current age; it can display a window in thin air.

 

Lhina has a job to do, so she'll be coming late today, so I can guess that the boxes contain food. There's quite a lot of it; she might predict that I’d go outside to mess around, so she prepared extra. And she's exactly right; I’m planning to do some stuff that might exhaust me later.

 

She already knows a lot about me, like how I’m a heavy eater and tend to overeat and hurt myself. Also, she knows I crave snacks whenever I’m bored or tired, so she often puts more effort into me. This was bliss. I never expected that I’d get to experience being pampered like this. I couldn't be more glad that Lhina was the one who found me.

 

"Hmmm...?"

 

I woke up in my reverie as I realized that the woman in front of me was still stiff, with the other two behind her seemingly frightened about something.

 

It’s been a year since that day, but they still like this. Just what could happen to them to make them act like this? '

 

Though I have a clue what might cause this, I don't have every detail on it. A year ago, I discovered how I arrived in this orphanage. The perpetrator was in front of me. They gossiped about how Lhina discovered me in the deep part of the forest; at that time, I barely paid any mind, but Lhina somehow discovered it. The day after that, they had a terrified expression, as if they had experienced hell. It still makes me wonder what Lhina did to them to impale them so much.

 

I’m curious, but I’m scared of knowing it. So I bow slightly, expressing my gratitude. “Thank you."

 

"Mhh, no problem, take care." They wave their hands with an uneasy expression. 

 

As soon as I turn my back to them, a loud sound reverberates in my surroundings, halting my feet. It's not just me; even my surroundings were in commotion as static was heard throughout the whole orphanage.

 

A few giant screens emerged in thin air, enough to make everyone in the orphanage aware of them. A beautiful newscaster appears on it, displaying an image of an unknown place.

 

Huh? What kind of news is enough to be broadcast on the big screen?

 

I know this thing; it's a holo-screen made with a combination of science and magic, set up in the orphanage. However, it serves as an emergency siren in case of a disaster or a really important announcement.

 

Just what could have occurred for this thing to appear? Does a new fissure emerge somewhere, perhaps in a nearby world that was destroyed? I doubt something big happens in the story as early as this. Let’s hear what it has to say first.

 

[Araeh successfully established a connection with a new world. The peace talk ends without a single flaw, thanks to our great sovereign. Gate construction has begun and is expected to be complete in a few months.]

 

I see. That is certainly an important announcement. A new path to a new world was certainly important because...

 

Before I even complete my thought, a ruckus erupts in the orphanage.

 

"whooooooo!!!!'

 

"Finally, a new world to explore!!!"

 

"Shit, I can't wait to discover new things there!!!"

 

“I’m going to renew my adventurer permit."

 

Their reaction was something to expect; without a doubt, some of them were adventurers despite working here. A new place to venture surely excites them, as does fighting a monster they have never seen before.

 

Hearing this world’s name really hurt my ears.

 

Despite the excitement of the crowd, woes are hovering in my mind. I already accept that I’m really in this world, but just hearing that news made me realize how ridiculous the scale of the novel is. With a variety of worlds to explore, countless enemies were also waiting. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.

 

I know what is to come after all; this is the world of

 

“Grand Worlds Saga"

 

Wait, that's the line of the MC.

 

Anyway, this place is unlike any manga or novel that I know from my past life. Life here is not exactly in a medieval setting. The environment here was exactly as it was on Earth, with slight advancements in some parts, including magic. So my past-life knowledge is pretty much useless here.

 

Undoubtedly undesirable isekai life for me. Even the monster that I might face in the future was the maximum difficulty. Mechanical monsters do exist and roam around somewhere in this world.

 

I sigh longer than usual, ignoring the bustle in my surroundings. I stride away.

 

"This is not my dream Isekai at all."

 

                                                                             ***

 

Using the commotion in the orphanage, I swiftly sneak out without anyone noticing. I venture into the deep part of the forest until my surroundings turn silent. Without a single trace of living beings, I’m in a place surrounded by trees.

 

"This place will do." Muttering in satisfaction, I scan my surroundings by sensing the mana. I can feel my awareness scattering around in a dome shape that covers a large space.

 

Hmmm, it seems there are no people in my surroundings, but there are a few animals that are hiding.

 

"Yosh, this is perfect for that."

 

In excitement, I open my ring, and the screen flashes upon me. Searching in the window, I pull out a few things from my ring. In the corner of my eyes, I spot a big, cut tree. Carrying all the stuff in my hand, I walk towards it, realizing how big it is and how it would fit as a table.

 

I lay all the things I’m holding on to. I smile in delight, stretching my arm. "Let’s start then."

 

The first thing I picked was the wood that was shaped into a fork with only two fingers that caught my eye first. This was from Lhina, specially made by her using her nature-type power. I can feel strong power coming from this mere wood.

 

Lhina definitely gives it some thought after she knows what I’m trying to make. This wood can withstand the sheer burden of my mana. A while ago, we discovered that my mana already possesses a great power that can destroy things that come into contact with it.

 

That’s why I need to be careful when imbuing mana on an item, or else it might shatter to pieces. If an item has a limit of 10 outputs of mana, I can only put 1 on it, or else it will overcharge and explode. Despite the manicure amount of my mana, the quality ascended, and its power was incomparable with normal mana.

 

Well, I don't know if the strongest power exists, but I'm sure it's not in my hands. My mana is not as powerful as it sounds; it has a lot of flaws in it. In this world, there are other powers that can match mana.

 

But I need to test what this power of mine is capable of.

 

This was the main reason why I made my way all the way here. I can't afford to be seen by others displaying an unfathomable power. Though I don't know what my mana is capable of, Lhina was limiting my use of my mana, but I do get that it's for my own protection.

 

That’s why I’m going to make this thing to measure my current ability.

 

Thanks to Oscar, I got my hands on this. I set my eyes on the rubber and small-looking leather. It was a personal order in the capital; I asked Oscar when he visited there. What I’m aiming to make is a slingshot. It might look childish, but it's perfect for practice and easy to make.

 

With an item in this grade, I should be able to make a slingshot that can take the sheer force of my mana.

 

“With this, I should be able to see it."

 

Cilestia, I want to see what power you hold.

4