C. 3
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Troublekit lay in his new nest, hardly daring to breath for fear of breathing in his sister's scent— which was crazy, because the old nursery had been completely scorched. And nothing had survived, not even scent... He found himself pulled into another one of what Stonebloom called fits. He curled up as tight as he could, whimpering, as the night of her death was replayed in his mind. Waking, running, being blinded, realizing she was gone and would never return... He remembered Snowpetal curling around him and Rascalkit... And then the latter walked into the nursery, making Troublekit jump. Rascalkit's eyes were slightly unfocused, and when he spoke, something was off about his mew. "Should I fetch Stonebloom?" He asked without looking right at Troublekit. The ginger tom shook his head quickly, staring at his brother and willing Rascalkit to meet his eyes. He didn't, instead turning and leaving again.

Troublekit let it go. He was grieving.

But he would pay attention tomorrow.

•••

Troublekit eyed his brother as they both stood in front of Brownstar. He was still acting strange. The lanky she-cat looked down at them and smiled gently before she spoke, her voice soft. "There should be one more with us today." Raising her voice, the leader added, "Troublekit and Rascalkit are six moons old and ready to become apprentices. Troublekit, from this day on until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Troublepaw. Your mentor will be Dustwish." Troublepaw smiled slightly. He liked Dustwish, he reflected, as he turned and touched noses with the tom. He would be a good mentor. 

"Runtkit has asked to become a Medicine Cat," Brownstar added, and Troublepaw whirled around. He hadn't heard about this! "Therefore, his mentor will be Stonebloom. Runtkit, from this day on until you receive your medicine cat name, you will be known as Rascalpaw." Rascalpaw turned and slowly touched noses with Stonebloom, who looked pleased. Troublepaw was not, however. What was going on?

•••

Troublepaw rose up on his hind legs as his attacker sped towards him. As the larger tom began to barrel into him, Troublepaw shoved his paws downwards onto the tom's shoulders, forcing him down and flipping over him so that the ginger tabby was at the other end of the clearing, unharmed.

 Dustwish, still on the ground, turned his head. His eyes cleaned with pride. "Good. Very good." As if hoping to raise Troublepaw's spirits some, he added, "I've never seen an apprentice get that move right on the second try. It always takes three or four." Troublepaw just stared at him, and, apparently giving up, the warrior rose to his paws. "Alright. Again."

After three more goes, all of which Troublepaw succeeded in, they headed back to camp, where Spiderscar, who had gotten his name after Troublepaw's apprentice ceremony along with Bluetwig, was waiting for them. "Where have you been?" He spat. Rainleaf wanted you for the patrol to Sunningrocks. There was a fight! Mintheart is with Stonebloom and Rascalpaw. She almost died!" His eyes glinted with worry, and Troublepaw realized that Spiderscar may have cared for Mintheart more than he had let on.

Dustwish set his jaw. "We were training. I was under the impression that is what mentors do with their apprentices. Or didn't your mother teach you that?" Without waiting for an answer, he strode past the black warrior into camp. Troublepaw scurried after his mentor. After he was sure Spiderscar wasn't following them, he broke off and sprinted to the medicine den. Mintheart and Cherryleaf were both there. Mintheart was unconscious with Stonebloom hovering over her, blood staining her fur and the cobwebs spotting the warrior's pale gold pelt. Cherryleaf was awake, a large wound marring her flank. She smiled at him.

"Hey. Sorry you weren't there. It was one heck of a fight. I got that mongrel Mistyshade good after he finished with Mintheart. I'd be surprised if he lives to see the next sunrise." Seeing his worried look, she added, "I'm okay. And Mintheart will be too." She looked to Stonebloom for confirmation and the medicine cat nodded. "Rascalpaw's getting more comfrey and dock. I have no idea what that stuff is, but apparently it'll help her."

With no prompting, perhaps reading his curious expression, she launched into the story of the face battle. "Me, Mintheart, Nettlejaw, and Shortstride went to mark the border— make sure RiverClan knows it's ours. Rainleaf wanted to send you and Dustwish, but you were training. Not that it's your fault, of course. Anyways, some RiverClan cats were already there. Mistyshade, Eagerwhisper, Stormeyes, Speckfluff, and another one— maybe Lightspot? But they were marking the border like Sunningrocks was theirs. Nettlejaw obviously wasn't going to let that stand, you know how hotheaded he is, so he jumped Stormeyes! The deputy! Well, we couldn't let him get destroyed, so we all followed him. I lost track of the others, but I grabbed Speckfluff. His fur is so long, I swear, I almost sneezed. But I grabbed his neck in my jaws and shoved him into the river, and I shouted 'Sunningrocks is ours! Go back to the water, fish-brains!' Or something like that. And then Lightspot, I really think it was her, she got me from behind! She did this to me," Cherryleaf swept her tail over her injured leg. "Luckily Shortstride hauled her off of me. They tumbled off, but she got off much worse than he did. Only a few tufts of fur, but she got knocked out. I helped him throw her in the river, too, and Speckfluff saved her. Then I saw Mistyshade standing over Mintheart, and she was covered in blood and her eyes were closed, and I really thought she was dead, you know? So I just— I didn't hold back. At all. It was kind of scary, actually, when I saw what I'd done to him. I think he might be dead by now. And yes, I see your face, and no, I won't tell you what it looked like. You're too young." Cherryleaf shuddered, lowering her head. Then she looked up, in the direction of RiverClan. And it was what she said next that really scared him.

"But if they had really killed Mintheart, I would have done it to them all."

0