Chapter 2 ‘Walking my enemy’
229 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Leo>

"HAHAHA, you look soooo ridiculous!!"

Leo stared at the young boy who had collapsed on the ground in a fit of laughter. It was no surprise that his enemy would act so immature.

'But even so... this is too excessive!'

"W-whatever! Let's just go already!!"(L)

Today was an important day for them. They shouldn't be wasting time.

'It's not like you're any better. You're still wearing the same stupid pattern!!'

Leo managed to hold his tongue. He would not stoop so low; he would not insult his enemy just because he was provoked. 

"W-wait... I gotta catch my breath"(N)

His enemy Neve, formerly known as a dark lord, looked up at Leo before bursting out laughing again.

'That's it!'

"You look just as dumb as me! I don't know why you're laughing!!"(L)

"There's...there's a serious key difference"(N)

As his enemy struggled to catch his breath, he let out an evil smile.

"I'm not wearing a dress with flowers on it!"(N)

Feeling his face burning red, Leo ran up and grabbed his enemy's hand. He forcefully pulled him to his feet and started dragging him deeper into the village. He would pay for this.

"H-hey! What are you doing!? Let go of me!"(N)

 

"How adorable! My heart!"

"Hush Claire! Don't be so obvious!"

"Come on, Sam! How do you expect me to remain relaxed after seeing that!?"(C)

Leo and Neve arrived in front of two sisters. They both spotted the same short black hair and dark green eyes. From a quick look, it appeared they were in the middle of opening up shop.

Leo smiled.

'How perfect!'

"Morning Claire and Sam!"(L)

Leo had genuinely grown to like these sisters over a rather short period of time. The reason to which was simple. Out of everyone in the village, they were the only ones to take his claims somewhat seriously. He still remembered the first day he properly met them.

Leo was sulking just a little bit after losing something precious to a bet. A bet with his enemy. The girls, who up until that point only greeted Leo in passing events, offered him advice. They caught him roaming the village aimless and took him to their place. Leo proceeded basically to vent to them about his enemy. He told them about the bet and why he lost.

His enemy had cheated. They told him he shouldn't have given up the stuff if his enemy had... but Leo couldn't. He had made a bet. He had to keep his word. Even if his enemy cheated, he still lost.

The girls were understandably mad. It was a dumb decision, but Leo couldn't help it. He had given his word on the bet.

The girls proceeded to interrogate Leo about his enemy after that. It appeared they thought he was being bullied and while that was not necessarily right, it was not entirely wrong. Leo decided to take the time to tell them about his enemy. He told them about all his enemy's evil deeds, he told them to stay wary and he also told them he would watch over him in case. The girls were understandably surprised. It was not every day you would hear such concerning news.

It was a good thing the girls were very trusting and sharp. They understood the gravity quickly and made Leo promise to never ever leave Neve alone. The trust they put in him was immense. Leo would not fail them. 

"Hey Cleo!"(S)

"Hello Cleo"(C)

Claire took a pause and looked behind Leo and Neve.

"You out on your usual walk?"(C)

Leo traced Claire's eyes. 

'Oh, the dogs!'

Leo didn't really need to pay attention to the dogs. The pair of puppies were usually well behaved and followed them... well at least Merry was. His enemy's dog was tainted a bit by his enemy's poor training, but it was nothing Merry couldn't straighten out. Even now she was dragging Neve's pup by the tail. It appeared the poor pup was stubbornly loyal to its master.

'Good work Merry!'

Leo couldn't help but praise the clever pup. For it to act so well behaved meant it must have a clever master.

"Uh, yeah but that's not important now!"(L)

If there was one thing Leo's enemy hated more than anything else, it was being helpful to anyone. Leo, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. He had made it his mission to help anyone and everyone.

"I was going to ask. Do you have anything you need help with?"(L)

In a voice that was quieter than a single hay falling, Neve quickly whispered,

"Okay, okay Leo. You win. I get it. I won't make fun of your clothes anymore"(N)

Leo could feel his enemy's attempt to escape grow more powerful by the second. 

'No, I don't think you do'

"I got nothing for you today, thankfully. Though even if I did, I wouldn't give you a thing"(C)

Both girls had smiles on their face.

"It's your big day Cleo. You shouldn't do any such work. It could ruin your pretty dress"(C)

"Yea, and with how cute you're looking... it would break my soul!"(S)

Without warning, the girls moved and started inspecting his clothes.

"Uh... thank you for the complement. I guess that makes sense"(L)

Leo internally sighed. He still wasn't used to such complements. His new body was... super adorable. If his past self had seen his current, he would have spoiled the child to no end. It was no surprise people handed such complements carelessly. It had gotten to the point he had started ignoring some.

'There's really nothing I can do' 

From the way things were looking, he wasn't going to become a God again any time soon.

'Life is truly unfair'

Leo was suddenly starting to feel down. It also didn't help that he heard his enemy let out a nasty little snicker.

"Oh, and who do we have here? Matching like always!!"(C)

The girls descended on Neve and started messing around with him.

"I tell you sis, boys these days have no manners"(S)

"None at all"(C)

They rubbed his cheeks, played with his hair and shoved him around. It was pretty petty bullying.

'I should do something...'

Leo was the last person to vouch for his enemy... but even he didn't deserve this. Having both girls descend upon a person was overwhelming. He knew from experience.

"Isn't that a bit too much...?"(L)

"Oh, don't worry Cleo. We perfectly understand what he means to you. We won't do anything too extreme"(S)

'That...'

What Sam just said was true, but it also felt wrong? Something was off with the way she said it. Leo just couldn't put it into words...

An elbow landed in Sam's mid-section.

"Oof!"(S)

"Yes, we know he is your nemesis to defeat!"(C)

Claire pushed Neve back towards Leo.

"Now, head along. You need to finish your rounds"(C)

"Uh... sure. See you later then!"(L)

Claire had a point. They did have a place to be.

"Oh, come on! Let go Leo. I'm not going anywhere you won't! I promise"(N)

Leo had grabbed Neve's hand again. 

"As if! I don't need you trying to disappear again or something"(L)

Leo had learnt enough not to trust the promises of a liar.

They were going round the whole village holding hands if it meant making sure.

 

"See ya later Mister and Miss Lumns!"(L)

"Bye dears, be sure to say hello to your parents"(Miss Limn)

"Alright!"(L)

"Whatever"(N)

It had been a simple trip. Twice through the village, twice around the village.  It should be enough to energize the pups. All they had to do now was walk back through the village to complete their last trip.

"Must you greet everyone we pass?"(N)

"No, but they enjoy it when I do. Plus, I like them"(L)

Leo took a sideways glance at his enemy.

In all their time together, Leo would have never guessed about his anti-social problems. 

"Why don't you try talking to people? They're not so bad"(L)

"Spare me"(N)

Neve took a deep breath then spoke in a lower subdued tone,

"If it weren't for you and my new damned mother I wouldn't-"(N)

"Don't speak like that"(L)

Leo stared at his enemy. At Neve. It was odd to consider that they used to be childhood friends. Before the memories started seeping in, before they discovered who each other were, they used to be close. Really close. This was mainly due to their parents being friends. Specifically, their mothers. Growing up, they shared the same crib, slept side by side and even bathed together.

Logically, Leo knew Neve was his enemy. He knew about all the heinous things he did. Like how he terrorised people, how he tortured and killed... but still there was a part of him that cared. A part of him that saw his former childhood friend. A friend who he wouldn't spend a second without.

The memories of his old self often felt distant. So distant that they didn't feel real.

The pair continued to walk in odd silence.

Leo's hands slowly reached up and smacked his face.

'What am I thinking! I need to refocus'

Leo's now soft hands started massaging his reddening face.

'I seriously shouldn't have done that'

"Well, see you later then"(N)

"Huh?"(L)

Leo gazed at his hands and noticed something missing... Neve's own.

"I wonder, was that egg I was smelling coming from your place?"(N)

It took a second for Leo to get what his enemy was saying. That vile evil wanted his breakfast. His family would feed random children if they came knocking. If Neve came knocking...

"D-don't you dare!!"(L)

"Or what?"(N)

The immoral smile that drew on his face was telling. Neve turned around and sprinted away.

"I didn't say you could leave! Comeback here!!"(L)

Leo gazed down at his dress. Every moment spent not running was one that put his breakfast at danger.

'Of all the times!!'

Pulling his dress slightly up. Leo bound after his enemy.

 

"Ah, that was so good"(N)

His enemy was stood at his own house rubbing his belly in an exaggerated manner. 

Leo was panting badly.

He had not even been close to catching up.

"See you in thirty minutes"(N)

He opened the door and went in.

Leo stared at the now closed door in simmering anger.

'Stupid! Stupid!! Stupid!!!'

There would be consequences for this.

Leo little by little made way to his own door.

He needed to speak to the person who allowed this to happen.

6