21.2 | Pars XXI – Clámantés Vócés Corda Rapta Reddenda Flágitant (Cont.)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-??-

The crystalline cavern all around was glimmering and bright…brighter than any other area of this cavern system she had been to thus far. She was…deep underground and deep within this sunny-cave…arguably even more deep than when she had stumbled into that guardian colossus trap-den.

Much like that…trap-den of a chamber, the crystalline materials about were imbued and infused in the walls and ground around…yet unlike that trap-den, there was no crystalline colossus whose essence had crafted and forged such exotic compounds.

Indeed…even if similar…the crystalline materials were…different, more akin to glimmering marble, glass, and stone…structural parts, not rocks. This crystalline area…in fact…did not even seem like a cavern at all. It had halls, chambers, and…a style to it; it seemed more like the halls of a crystalline subterranean fortress than it did a cave.

Hmm…‘guardian colossus’…right…maybe this area was what it had been supposedly ‘guarding’? She did not know, nor did she care…all that was important was that such was the environment in which these ‘glow-golems’ habitated—a new category of targets for her.

The Guild classified them as Steel-rank, apparently, and they were awfully similar to that crystal colossus encountered prior…being bipedal and humanoid. But…they were far more ‘regular-sized’ in height and did not have that same ‘armored’ appearance to them—naked featureless crystalline mannequins, essentially.

And…unlike that colossus, they were fairly soft and squishy too…comparatively speaking—her bullets could actually penetrate through…their interior being filled with glowing crystalline goopy-fluids of sorts…that would bleed out consequently.

No doubt, these glow-golems were a similar sort of atrocity of existence as that colossus…and indeed…it was evident that they had a human-like central nervous system shovingly integrated into them; a brain…exotified spine, and glowing nerves…that could be somewhat distinguished with careful eyes.

Ironically, despite their Steel-rank designation, she had less of a struggle dealing with these golem-things than she had with those supposedly lower ranked crystalline arachnids. They had clear spines to be shot and destroyed, and…their glowing pulsating ‘heart’ was also a critical point that dispatched instantly when shot.

However, these golems were seemingly intelligent and utilized tactics, albeit sometimes questionably so. They came equipt in an array of crystalline weapons and specializations, from sword-and-shields, phalanx polearms, javelin skirmishers, and such. They were not exactly lethal in close combat, but they came in numbers, always. Though…their odd need to always form a formation tended to blob them up…thus she hardly had to deal with them up close, for she never let them get close.

Their aforementioned ‘hearts’ were the principal object of interest for this quest of hers…thus despite it being a kill-point, it was not to be targeted…or at least not in abundancy. Their glowing ‘hearts’…were not really hearts, of course, rather these strange thick and fat crystalline masses of concentrated essence-synthesized materials of stored ‘energy’ and exoticism…or something.

She did not know the true functions of these glowing exotic ‘hearts’, only that they were seemingly important for such unalive things; though, she cared little to think about such pointless details…she had directives needing to be completed and thus she needed to complete them.

Albeit, she had forgotten to bring an actual sack…to collect any glow-golem hearts; in truth… she was more here to hunt and dispatch. Indeed…one thing that she had long noticed, both in times most recent and times most ancient, was that…the numbing inhibiting effects of continuously triggering her combat state and related essence encoded protocols…were enough to temporarily flatten everything out and empty her thoughts and mind with that cold focused calm…keeping that shadow deep within from making its growing presence known.

While her lack of doing anything to further her given directives and objectives was certainly…not preferable at all…at least…she got to engage in combat and simply float away in such moments, for…such were becoming the only moments…of any tranquility in mind.

The foreigner patrolled and wandered through and around, her eyes and ears attentive to all around…equipt in hands…her revolving-repeater, left strapped and dangling on her shoulder…her hand-mortar.

Hmm…yet…this whole area was empty. She was…absolutely certain that she was where those glow-golems usually congregated—she had done this quest enough times to know; yet…nothing could be found at all.

Well…no doubt, a commotion must be happening…somewhere…around here. Those glow-golems were rather the communicative and responsive things…being capable of…somehow…communicating with each other, even at rather disconnected distances; thus…whenever something happened and there were others around to notice…it would not take long at all before an entire legion of them would suddenly come rushing…emptying out entire sections and areas.

Of course, for most…such an outcome would be a major problem, but for her…having an entire blob of them descend right into her killzone was rather…convenient, most indeed.

Hmm…though regardless, where had they all gone? Ugh…this area was so bright and visible…her ears were not nearly as sensitive as they were prior. Thus…she could not follow and track bouncing sounds as easily.

She continued to stroll and wander around, searching attentively…focusing her senses on her ears…taking in all that she could. Suddenly, she halted as her ears…finally began to hear traces of bouncing sounds from afar…emanating from somewhere else deeper within.

A fight…she could tell…a big one…ah…so she was not the only adventurer here, then? That must be where all those glow-golems had gone off to, then.

Without any delay, she began to make way…and with great eagerly speed.

-||-

Dozens upon dozens of glow-golem corpses, bleeding their strange glowing goop, littered the ground around this large chamber of an open space, one that appeared almost as if it were a crystalline arena-field. Though, dozens of glow-golems still remained standing and mobile. 80 to 90 in total, all withdrawing from a recent assault as they reorganized into a stringent formation.

Their foe…a combined force of eight full adventurer parties from both Oceanfield and Coastfield, 40 adventurers in total; their weapons and armor were...basic but adequate enough; all largely Steel-rank with maybe some Irons, and one Bronze; most were difficult to distinguish from mercenaries, to be frank.

Tired…panting…many injuries all around yet…none had been killed, miraculously. The majority were all melee fighters, but each party had at least one ‘ranger’—a ranged specialist adventurer—though, two parties had two. Thus, there were ten rangers, armed with bows and crossbows.

There was only one spellcaster among them all…a single life mage, who ran around and around, panting away with such lifely-green ignited eyes, as she tirelessly used her magic to sedate, decontaminate, and…alleviate the injuries of all those wounded souls.

The combined parties of adventurers had been locked in this bloody feud for almost an hour. What had started off as a minor coordinated ambush that was supposed to be a simple and quick endeavor…had quickly escalated into to…well…this; glow-golems had rapidly descended upon them in relentless waves.

Now…they were all battered and tired, no deaths but holding on just barely…all the while the glow-golems had only become more tactically irritating as their numbers increased. Assaulting…only to fall back, reorganize their mock ‘frontline’, and then assault again…cycling over and over, and only worsening as more…types began to arrive—those skirmishers especially.

Tuckered behind the battered improvised formations of melee adventurers, the rangers fired their arrows and bolts through the gaps in-between…though to limited effect.

The golems immediately formed a tight ‘turtle-phalanx’ sort of formation; two lines of crystalline shields raised in front of the polearm glow-golems behind whose crystalline polearms protruded through tiny gaps; indeed, designed with intention and in perfect harmony, this strange formation slowly marched, blocking any frontal projectile assault.

Panting and sweating…a halberd wielding adventurer, the single Bronze-rank and…the lead figure of this combined force—not by any choice of his own—stared at the remaining glow-golems…tsking; “Out of all days…to not have a fighting mage on us…” he muttered out.

“I…I can’t keep drawing like this! My arm…is about to give out! And I’m almost out of arrows!” so shouted an exhausted ranger, whose war-bow packed quite the punch but…its draw-power zapped quite the stamina from her arm in kind.

She and the rest of the rangers had been relentlessly skirmishing but…five of the archers—being Steel-rank at most and thus not exactly experienced in such combat archery—were slowly about to give out. The crossbows were doing fine…ish, but they were running out of bolts.

“Oh psssh! This is nothing…just keep the pressure up!” so shouted in reply…a sixth archer, an elf seemingly—a rarity in the Central Continent, at least in the realms of men—and one of a forestry sort; clearly from a culture of hunters, ambushers, and rangers. Armed with a traditional elven-styled long-bow, her arms were evidently…built…for sustained fast-paced archery; her only problems were limited arrows and the fact that her draw-posture required a stable standing position.

The lead adventurer groaned; “Alrightly! Just stop your shooting! Save arrows! It’s pointless! It’s pointless! They’re Gods’ fucked shield-walling again!” he shouted in command.

The elf ranger sighed; “Fine fine…peh” she muttered out; the other five archers let out an exhale of relief, their arms finally allowed momentary rest.

“Moving slow…alright, let’s take this chance! Everyone, move back! Move back a bit! Distance, we need distance!” the lead shouted out as they all fell back…distancing themselves from the glow-golems while maintaining some semblance of a formation.

These adventurers were by no means used to…well…mock warfare tactics—they were used to bludgeoning monsters that hardly cogitated, only having a limited exposure to intelligent ‘mobs’, and only in the form of…adolescent goblinsnot crystalline warriors from a bygone era pretending as though they were an army of thousands and not less than a hundred.

Indeed, these adventurers struggled with not only employing their own tactics but…countering the glow-golems’.

As the adventurers fell back…and as the rangers halted their barrage, the glow-golems immediately took this chance as a few dozen came out from behind and into the front of their formation, glowing pulsating crystal-javelins in their crystalline mannequin hands.

“SHIT! TIGHTEN AND SHIELDS UP! EVERYONE ELSE FALL AND COVER!” the lead shouted in panicked notice. They all halted in place before immediately scrambling for cover or falling prone onto the ground as a fury of pulsating javelins suddenly came lancing.

Those with shields quickly tightened their protective formation, standing their ground and raising their shields. Many shields were struck and penetrated by the onslaught of javelins…thoroughly lodged in place. But…unlike all the times before…these javelins…throbbed differently.

Poof. Poof. Poof. One by two by three, the stuck javelins detonated in an explosive crystalline burst, tearing shields and…a few hands to go along. Screams of pain and or panic echoed…as now one-handed adventurers fell to the ground, those remaining shielded peers…opting to simply lunge for cover instead.

“GODS’ SACRED! YOU! LIFE MAGE! GET TO THEM!” the lead shouted in command.

“HUH?! I AM STILL DEALING WITH…f…fi-fine! FINE GOT IT!” the life mage shouted back before she quickly hurried to those bleeding one-handed others.

The lancing stopped as the skirmishers paused to javelins conjure anew. Immediately, the rangers began to counter-fire their bows and crossbow; the javelin glow-golems quickly retreated, a few being struck and pireced…though none being…dropped down for good.

The turtle-phalanx continued its slow organized march towards them. Yet now, from the comfort of being in the backline, those same javelin glow-golems continued their volleying, hurling…different pulsating javelins straight over and above the marching formation…which came arching down.

“OH GODS’ SACRED FUCK! PINK ONES! PINK ONES! HIDE AND COVER!” the lead shouted before jumping straight down to the ground, covering his exposed neck and head.

The lancing javelins detonated in a shattering blast mid-air, scattering dozens of sharp pieces and shards all around which cut and tore into flesh, tunics, and even armor…before those very shards went poof in kind, tearing even more chunks of flesh and metal.

Sudden shouts erupted as dozens were immediately injured with cut and torn flesh, the lead adventurer himself having dozens of crystalline burst-shards pierce his armored back…shattering and poofing further; his quality armor and tunic took the brunt of the damaging effects, but…flesh had certainly been cut.

“STEEL-RANK MY DEMON-RAPED ASSHOLE!” so clamored an adventurer clinging behind cover, gripping his gashed bleeding arm; “My arm! Shit! Oh THATSA BAD! FUCK MY ARM!”

“AH!” so exclaimed the elf archer, tightly grabbing her flesh-torn leg which too had been struck…bleeding dangerously so; “MY LEG! MY LEG! WOW THAT IS A STINGING ONE!”

The life mage, still panting and spelling away, continued to ease the pain and injuries around…even at considerable risk, her attire and skin…visibly cut. “Coming! Coming!” she shouted to all those clamoring hails, yelling out for her help.

Yet, no pause would be allowed; following the volley, the glow-golem formation loosened as they abruptly began to charge the staggered adventurers. The lead, panicking, immediately lunged his injured being up, joined by any and all who could still vaguely fight…overwhelming adrenaline suppressing pain and injurious effect.

“SHIT!! HERE THEY COME! GOD OF ADVENTURE BE WITH US THIS DAY AND NOW!” the lead shouted out with an echoing voice, readying himself for yet another clash…this time expecting deaths, knowing Fortune’s luck had waned.

Yet suddenly: Bang, whistle, flash, then boom.

Ears were pierced as a discharge echoed from somewhere higher up before a small-yet-potent boom smashed the center of the glow-golem formation…as ten glow-golems suddenly found themselves in pieces…their glowing crystalline goop-fluids splattering all around from their shattered limbs and figures.

The glow-golems were immediately staggered as the paused in response, a few even tripping; confused and bewildered…they began to instinctually reorganize…yet once again another Bang, whistle, then flashing boom…followed by a loading breech then a lancing other…as cluster after cluster were blown asunder.

From atop near yet afar, the intervening foreigner came sliding down into the chamber from the entry-hole in which she had been…lingering as it all unfolded, watching…for perhaps longer than she ought to have had—she was curious of their battle tactics.

Once on the ground, she quickly lanced into action, sliding towards a conveniently located crystalline…boulder-thing…for cover; quickly taking aim, she fired her revolving-repeater at the glow-golems, still staggered and disorganized from her sudden shock assault…still processing what was even happening. Aiming for their pulsating spines or even glowing hearts, she fired shot after shot…five in total…hitting…most of her marks…largely.

The glow-golems, now being fired upon as three…now four…now five…dropped to the ground dead on the spot, began to retreat and fall back.

“…” the adventurers stared…bewildered utterly from the sudden and unexpected intervention, their ears certainly not enjoying the experience as much as their eyes and souls.
“W-who in the Gods’ sacred fuck-toilet are you???!” so shoutingly interrogated an adventurer next and nearby.

“Someone.” the foreigner replied straightly and blankly, her mask-obscured targeting eyes fixated.

The lead adventurer, however, readied his halberd; “DON’T MATTER! NOW’S OUR CHANCE! CUT THEM DOWN! DON’T LET THEM FLEE!” he shouted in command before he immediately began to charge, letting out a battle-crying scream.

The other adventurers followed suit; with battle-furious cries of rallying adrenaline, they charged the retreating glow-golems down as the rangers began to fire their own volleys in support…albeit, cautiously so.

The foreigner provided her own supporting fire…but used up all her remaining shots quickly, her repeater’s cylinder…now empty. She tsked as she stood up and unholstered her revolver, ready to lance up close herself…yet by the time she was ready to join in…the battle was practically over.

The glow-golems routed and scrambled off, their formation breaking completely…and were swiftly cutdown by the charging adventures…both somewhat fine and wounded alike, all…joining in the slaughtering retreat. Indeed…almost as if it were…truly battle in a war.

The foreigner watched and stared…sighing as she holstered her revolver and began to meticulously reload her repeater, making sure no lingering residue could cause any…problems. By the time she had reloaded it, no golems remained standing…as a relieving silence befell the whole chamber.

So many adventurers fell straight to the ground, exhausted…wounded, tsking away in pain now being felt…with a single life mage…mana running dry…caring for all whom she could, her lifely-green radiance overflowing…to the point of being a lot more visible.

The foreigner exhaled a disappointed breath; well, that was a fast and swift affair…perhaps a bit too much so…

Standing down, she began to make way to simply climb out and back up the way she had come…yet before she could do so…she was suddenly ambushed by…the worst of all possible things to deal with…

“HEY! YOU! GODS’ SACRED! YOU SAVED OUR ASSES!” so thanked in utter glee an approaching adventurer, a ranger of sorts seemingly, crossbow in hand, smiling, as another approached.
“Yeah! What she said! That’s some…advanced…firepower you’ve got on you! Wow! I know Gunslinger-wannabes eat a lot of shit, but you really are a Gunslinger-type haha! I heard she used boom-throwers too!” so remarked the other.

The foreigner sighed…turning to face this…encroaching circle of gathering…denizens…making their noisesugh; “…yes, you are given welcome…” she replied hollowly to the thanking adventurers.

Quickly, those huddling around her…finally saw her pinned badge. “…w-w-w-WAIT YOU’RE JUST A COPPER?!” so shouted out in surprise one.

« … » Oh goodness, this…again?

“GODS’ SACRED?! W-WHAT?! WOW!” so shouted out another…their denizen screeches piercing her ears and mind…truly, their voices frustrated her so…always impossible to get them out of her head once thoroughly implanted.

“W-wait! We got saved by a Copper?!”
“Wow…either we suck or she’s a future Onyx in the making!”
“Demon-King fuck this crossbow! Where can I get a boom-thrower like that?!”
So remarked echoing shouts both near and farther out.

More praising and bewildered denizens descended upon her…happy and smiling…would that her mind were in better condition…she would not…necessarily be disagreeing with such responses; though…praising laughter and tormenting cries were two sounds…so easily intermixed in her withering mind.

The more they spoke and praised the more…words, damnations, and screaming echoes flashed and pulsed in her mind…truly…she so hated these irrumating…noises made by their denizen mouths…pfft. She wanted to get out of here already and not deal with their…whatever noises.

Yet, before she began to abruptly depart…she realized quickly…in the corner of this chamber area…directly near the very part down from which she had slid…were dozens of filled sacks of glowing crystalline hearts, collected by these parties during prior happenings.

Ah…an idea suddenly entered her mind.

“What’s with your…tavern-gal outfit, anyhow? It’d look cute if weren’t so messy…”
“Seriously woman, I don’t think we can thank you enough! Are you…partyless…or something, by chance?”

Yet, the foreigner began to walk off from the gathered others…waving away faintly; “I see…” she began to reply, “well…if you all are with the thanks for me, then you all would not be bothered by this, no?” she said, approaching their filled sacks; “ ‘Nothing in this world is the free’ so the words run” she added…halting before those very collected sacks.

Suddenly, heads titled as all those praising smiles and eyes…began to…wither slightly, confused eyes staring at her…

One chuckled and giggled awkwardly; “Ahaha…I mean, w-what do you mean?”

Though, her answer came not in words, but in action.

Heh?” so blurted one, observing.

“W-w-wait wait…h-hey-hey! What are you doing???” another blurted out, realizing, as the foreigner so…casually picked up one of their stuffed sacks and, without any delay or words to be said, departed away immediately, faster than fast.

With only one free hand, she dash-climbed all the way up to and back through that same entry-hole slightly above, tactically withdrawing through the glimmering halls with their weighty sack of stolen hearts on shoulder and in hand, a very faint snow-wisp-dusty trail of cyanic radiance being the only vague presence lingering behind.

“…” All the once delighted and praising adventurers stared on…with such blanked faces and bewildered eyes…minds still comprehending.

“…d-d-did she just…rob us??? W-w-what the fuck?!” so blurted out one, flabbergasted.
“Sure seems like she fucking did!” so replied another.
“HEY! GIVE OUR HEARTS BACK!!” so cried out another.

“WHAT THE SHIT?! STOP STANDING THERE! WE’LL ALL HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN IF SHE GETS AWAY! AFTER THAT BITCH! NOW!” so finally shouted with echoing voice and in panicked command the lead adventurer…who had been resting his injuries, now standing up with fingers pointing away, imperatively.

Two rangers—the most agile and mobile of the bunch—immediately sprung up; “R-RIGHT! RIGHT! AFTER THAT BAG!” one shouted, as they, alongside a couple others still able to move, began to move with haste and climb up themselves…leaving the remainder behind to heal, rest, and collect any viable crystal-hearts from the golem corpses scattered about.

Truly…these parties could not seem find a break. Yet…in the end, they were not able to find that foreigner nor their stolen sack…thus, condemned to make up for that which had been stolen with more blood, injuries, and…sacrifices.

All necessary prices to pay, of course, for the foreigner’s own victory, for at least she had completed her own directives…which was all that she so cared to care about anymore, even in such moments like these. Such was, after all, the only purpose of her continued and endless existence…to be carried out until finally perishing in duty and service…yet…to whom or for what…such goals and meanings had long been lost to time’s everlasting decay.

0