4. Skills to the use
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Vance, where are you taking me?" Lucas couldn't fathom why Vance had gone berserk all of a sudden. 'Was it something I said? Is it because I am a chemical engineer?' He wondered as he tried to match Vance's pace. The burly man was dragging him at top speed, without caring if Lucas was keeping up with him or not.

Vance didn't answer him. So, Lucas turned to Ryker who too was jogging with them as excitement possessed him, making him resemble a stallion that had been let loose after a long time of being restricted.

"Ryker, will you please tell me at least? What's happening?"

"Patience, Lucas. Patience, Lucas." Ryker just winked at him, making him all the more apprehensive about his situation. "You'll find out everything soon."

Lucas glared at the two men who were being mysterious with him. But soon his thoughts were distracted when they entered the large building. Just as Vance had explained, the place was divided into multiple blocks inside, each block resembling an apartment or a dormitory. 

People kept walking around and as Vance pulled him with him, they stopped to see what the commotion was all about.

"Ignore them," Ryker whispered as he winked at a few kids who were staring at them curiously.

Lucas didn't have to stay in the dark for a long time. He was pulled toward one of the secluded areas which was utterly deserted. 

"This entire block belongs to us and from today onwards, it includes you too." Vance beamed as he knocked on one of the doors while Lucas stood beside him in confusion.

"Who is it?" He heard a voice filled with fatigue from the other side.

"Trevis, it's me," Vance shouted and Lucas squinted his eyes and looked away.

There was no sound for some time and Vance was about to shout again when the door opened. There stood a man who was as tall as Vance but seemed more feeble than him and older than him. A pair of round glasses lay on his nose and he seemed slightly unkempt, his unruly hair pointing outwards at various places.

Lucas didn't have to guess who it was. The man's face held faint resemblances to Vance and that alone was enough for him to deduce who he was.

"Trevis, I have a surprise for you." Vance beamed and looked at his brother who stifled a yawn.

"What is it, Vance? I'm in the middle of taking a break before I return to my experiment. If you've nothing important to speak, please don't disturb me." Trevis pushed his glasses up and covered his mouth as he yawned again.

"Trevis, I apologize for disturbing you. But I have someone I want you to meet." Vance turned towards Lucas slightly and nodded at him. "This is Lucas and Lucas, this is my brother Trevis."

"Please forgive me, Lucas. I'm in the middle of something. I might not be able to entertain you much."

"Not a problem. I am..."

"Trevis, Lucas is a chemical engineer and scientist." Vance chimed all of a sudden and Lucas noticed how Trevis' fatigue vanished at once. The man stared at him as if he were gazing at something miraculous.

Lucas didn't even get the chance to speak a word when he was ushered inside the room and the door closed after him with a bang.

Trevis observed the man before him with narrowed eyes, making Lucas trepidatious. He fidgeted in his spot and looked at Ryker for help only to find the man digging through the cupboards as he munched on something.

"Are you really a chemical engineer?" Trevis spoke after a long time and Lucas only noticed then how hoarse the man's voice had become. Dark circles under his eyes clearly showed how little to no sleep he was having and Lucas felt terrible for him.

"Yes." Lucas nodded and glanced at Vance who gave him an encouraging smile.

"Do you have any knowledge in the field of biology?" Trevis continued.

"Does biotechnology count?" Lucas questioned and Trevis clapped in excitement, stupefying him with his sudden actions.

"That's perfect. Brilliant." Trevis commented and darted a look of appreciation towards Vance.

Handing over a paper filled with formulas and chemical names, he took a step back and smiled mysteriously. "Tell me what is wrong in this composition."

Lucas didn't know what Trevis had in mind and where this was going. Nevertheless, he did as he was told and studied the composition on the paper. At first, there was nothing wrong with it. But soon, he realized where the mistake was and why the entire composition was wrong.

"The composition here..." Lucas pointed out as he circled the anomaly he had found out. "Is for Ethylene Oxide and when mixed with water, it gives Ethylene Glycol which is a toxic chemical for humans. To be honest, this entire composition is wrong and if any human comes in contact with any of the by-products or the end product, they are bound to die for sure."

Lucas explained in detail while the three men listened to him silently.

"Amazing." Trevis clapped again and this time, it was in admiration. "You found out the mistake in a moment and it took me two weeks to do the same."

"But may I know what is the motive behind this experiment?" Lucas questioned as he studied the paper in his hand again. "This doesn't seem like something normal and some of the compositions are meant to alter the DNA. What's happening here?"

"You have caught onto it correctly." Vance butted in the conversation and leaned against the only table in the room. "Trevis is in the midst of an experiment." He started and glanced at his older brother who nodded at him in return.

"He is trying to create a mutagen that can alter our DNA and help us gain insurmountable strength."

"Is it to tackle the monsters who are out to destroy the world?" Lucas understood where this was going and his lips thinned into a straight line.

"Yes. We are safe for now. But that does not mean we are safe forever. We need to be prepared for the future." Trevis replied seriously.

"I see." Lucas nodded thoughtfully.

"Do you want to join me and help me with the experiment?" Trevis looked at him hopefully and Vance joined him, putting Lucas in a spot.

Even Ryker had stopped looking for food and was waiting for his response.

Lucas pondered over it carefully. He was now in a strange place where peculiar species were wreaking havoc and killing everyone without mercy. He now had only two options. Either he could wait for the Grim Reaper to approach him or fight for his life and protect everyone from danger. 

"Well.." He dithered for a moment before making a decision. "I will either have to wait for death or fight death somehow and save everyone. Since I'll be in danger in any way, isn't it better to fight than to surrender without putting up a fight?"

"Hurray," Ryker yelled while Vance punched the air in joy. Even Trevis was visibly ecstatic by his decision and he couldn't stop smiling.

"Thank you so much, Lucas. I appreciate your help. You may rest well today and make yourself acquainted with the place and everyone else. You may join me tomorrow after lunch. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good. By then, you too get ample rest."

"Will do. Thank you."

"Now, let's leave Trevis to get some much-needed rest. I'll show you our block where you'll be sleeping. Also, you must be famished. Let's feed your tummy as well."

Vance swung his hand over Lucas' shoulder and pulled him with him and once again, Ryker followed them.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Lucas," Trevis shouted from behind him before closing the door after them.

0