6. Army
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What the freaking hell is this?" Lucas' eyes widened in disbelief as he stared at the army of robots ahead of him and a lot of other devices that resembled fighter jets and spaceships. What were they exactly? He didn't know. But they looked cool and hi-tech, something he had only seen in movies. It was as if he had entered a science fiction movie. 

'Can someone explain to me what's happening and why are there robots and spaceships before me?' He wondered as he ventured further inside the place. To him, the warehouse was like a candy shop and his eyes lit up as he surveyed it.

After exploring the two basements, Vance and Ryker led him outside the building towards the back. Well hidden and covered by the gigantic structure, Lucas had not seen the warehouse before. But when Vance and Ryker brought him inside, all he could do was stare at it with eyes wide.

"And this is what we feel will save us in the future," Ryker mumbled with pride and Vance nodded at him instantly.

"This is so cool," Lucas stated and touched one of the robots that was taller than him. All of a sudden, he was reminded of the Iron Man series. The warehouse resembled something close to Tony Stark's lab, only that it was bigger and held many devices and vehicles he had never seen before.

"Agreed. It is cool." Ryker chimed. "But too bad. None of us know how to operate this stuff."

Lucas' smile vanished and he frowned immediately as he turned towards the two men who were inspecting the place in awe. "What do you mean? Why can't you operate these devices?"

"We've tried everything we can to operate the devices. But in vain." Ryker sighed and glanced at Vance who had turned silent and solemn all of a sudden.

"What about the people who created this stuff? They should be able to get these things operating right?" Lucas was confused beyond his mind and couldn't fathom what was happening. How was it possible for anyone to not know how to operate these cool devices?

"It's not people, Lucas. It was just one person. Only one person created all of these." Ryker explained and Lucas' mind exploded in astonishment.

"Was this all built by one person alone?"

"More or less."

Lucas couldn't hide his admiration for the person who had created all these devices and his eyes twinkled in respect. They must surely be a genius to create such amazing stuff. What a talent! But soon his expression changed when he recalled what Ryker had just said. 

"Did you just say 'was'?" He questioned and Lucas noticed Ryker glancing at Vance again. 

Something was odd about Vance. He sensed it, he saw it. All of a sudden, the man had become silent and his face held a sorrow he had not seen on him since the time he had met him.

Lucas didn't know what to do. 'Did I just scratch an unhealed wound? Is the person who created all of these someone close to him? Shit! What do I do now?' He wondered and looked at Ryker for help.

"Yes, was. The person who created it is no more." Ryker confirmed, his expression mirroring Vance's.

"Were they...."

"She was Vance's niece, Trevis' daughter."

Lucas felt sorrow and admiration filling his heart at the same time. 'How young must she have been, considering the Trevis doesn't look old at all?' He pondered. 'And what a genius brain she must have had to create all these devices.'

"Does Trevis not know how to operate these devices as well?" Lucas questioned, now completely intrigued to learn more about the lady who had created an intelligent and mighty army.

Ryker shook his head before he started walking towards Vance who seemed to have gone into a trance all of a sudden.

"Shall we leave, Vance?" Ryker was careful with him so as to not aggravate his emotions. Every time they visited the warehouse, Vance would drown himself in sadness. After all, it was his beloved niece who had created all of these and she was now deceased.

Vance nodded silently and Lucas felt bad for him.

"She must have written a book or some sort of note or an instruction manual. What about her laptop? She must have left a blueprint somewhere." Lucas was still puzzled. How could it be that they had an army of robots and super vehicles and none of them knew how to operate them? Was it a joke?

Ryker shook his head immediately. "Nothing. We looked for it everywhere. But there's nothing. Elly's has not written anything down. We're just hoping to find a way to start these things."

"You need a Computer Engineer, more specifically someone who's well versed in Artificial Intelligence," Lucas stated and Ryker nodded at him. He didn't have to think hard to guess who Elly was. It had to be Trevis' daughter.

"We have tried everything possible. But none of us have been successful. We just hope we find someone who can find a way to operate these things."

"There has to be some way. Let's hope we find it soon." Lucas didn't know what else to say and wrapped his arm around Vance's shoulders, forcing him to come out of his stupor.

"What are Vance's skills?" He inquired as he tried to change the topic.

"Vance has good aim. He is one of the best shooters in our city." Ryker said with pride and a small smile bloomed on Vance's face much to Lucas' relief.

"That's awesome. Can you teach me how to shoot? I suck at it." Lucas gave him a pleading look and Vance let out a small laugh.

"Is shooting the only thing you suck at?" He gave him a look of despise which Lucas knew he didn't mean from the teasing glint in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" Lucas glared at him and let go of him immediately.

"Man, your running skills are equally bad. You need to train harder. I can easily outrun you in a race." Vance pointed out his flaws immediately and Lucas couldn't deny him even if he wanted to. It was the truth. He sucked at anything that involved him being athletic.

"He's right. You should train your other athletic skills as well." Ryker added and Lucas' lips twitched in dismay. But he knew they were right. If he wished to survive in the world he was in, he had to start training. Otherwise, he was doomed.

0