Chapter 8
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rygic awoke to the hushed murmurs of fellow testers engaged in conversation. When had he fallen asleep? The last thing he remembered, Yunea had just touched his forehead. As his senses sharpened, Rygic realized that he no longer felt the crystal in his hand. He anxiously unfurled his fingers, only to see his empty palm. Worried that he might have dropped it, he quickly checked his immediate surroundings. Perhaps it had slipped from his grasp during the transition? Either way, the mana crystal seemed to have vanished completely. He glanced over at Quart, who was sitting to his left wearing a confused expression while looking down at his small hands. To Rygic's right sat the human who wore the red and gold scarf. He was slumped in his chair with a look of relief etched on his face.

Just as Rygic was about to ask Quart how long he thought they’d been away, Sage Endo's voice resonated throughout the classroom. “Alright, that concludes the affinity test,” she announced. She then walked over to the door and held it open. “Those of you who do not plan on training as mages here at the academy may exit the room.”

To Rygic’s surprise, most of those present stood and began to quietly make their way out of the room. Leaning closer to Quart, he whispered, “Why so many?”

Quart quietly answered back, “Training at the Academy can be expensive. Those who are not from a wealthy background may take out loans, but most do not want the burden of debt.” He then added with a wink, “Thankfully all those affiliated with Elven houses attend for free.”

After the last one left the room, Sage Endo closed the door. She looked over those remaining in their seats. Her gaze lingered on Rygic for the briefest of moments. “First day of classes start tomorrow. Don't be late! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must see to the next round of test takers. Good day.” Without waiting for any comments, she then turned and immediately left the room.

So swift was Sage Endo’s departure that those gathered there briefly sat still as they processed her instructions. With the realization that she was finished with them and would return with the next round of testers, they hastily left the room. Rygic and Quart were halfway to the Academy’s front entrance when they crossed paths with the new group heading to the testing room. At its head was Nolrey Drakes, the scowl still plastered on his face.

When Rygic drew close enough, Nolrey venomously whispered, “You’ll pay for your insolence later, peasant.”

At Rygic’s side, Quart began to fume and move toward Nolrey. Rygic placed his hand down to calm his friend.

“Can’t wait, little squirrel,” Rygic quietly taunted back without turning to look at Nolrey.

“Squirrel?” a puzzled Quart asked. “You should have told him you belonged to House Olden. That at least would have shut him up.”

“Eh, he’s not really worth our time. He’ll find out soon enough,” replied Rygic.

Once Rygic and Quart emerged from the building, their brows furrowed in confusion as they realized that hardly any time seemed to have passed. The sun was still in the same spot in the sky, the shadows cast from it, the same length. They debated amongst themselves; how much actual time passed? Rygic pointed out that he thought it was weird none of the other testers failed to comment on it. Quart added that he was shocked that out of twenty testers, only the three of them seemed to have passed. They then lapsed into silence, a look of contemplation on their faces.

Suddenly, from behind them, the red and gold scarfed human warned, “You should watch out for Nolrey. I hear he can be a real piece of work. There are rumors of him going out of his way to ruin those he feels slighted him in any way.”

“Yeah, I was getting that vibe the moment he questioned if I knew who he was. Made it sound like he was of some importance. Thanks for the warning.”

“Don’t mention it. My name’s Dreck Faytime, by the way.”

“I am Rygic and my friend here is Quart.”

“Nice to meet you two. My family has always respected those from House Olden. I am also partial to the Rusty Cow, great food. I figured you two were somehow related, the way Quart tried to stick up for you. Been friends long?” asked Dreck.

“Oh yes, all of two days,” smirked Quart.

Dreck absentmindedly scratched his chin, the only bearded section of his otherwise clean-shaven face. “Not sure if that was an inside joke or not.”

“No, just two days,” confirmed Rygic. “Though the little guy is growing on me.”

“Little?!” spurted Quart.

Before Quart could continue, Rygic tried to change the subject, “Anyone up for some lunch?” he quickly asked.

“Sure, I was too nervous to eat this morning,” admitted Dreck. “Do you know a good place? I just arrived in town yesterday.”

“How about the Rusty Cow?” suggested Rygic.

“That would be great! I was going to suggest that but wasn’t sure if you wanted to go back there. I believe the Inn also doubles as House Olden Manor so you may want something different.”

“Nah, the food is exceptional, not to mention the house ale,” answered Quart. “What did Yaz call it? Kewlale?” The mention of good food and drink was steadily improving his mood.

“I think it was Kewale, but don’t quote me,” replied Rygic.

“Sounds great to me, lead on,” said Dreck.

They made their way to the gates leading out of the enclosed area protecting the Adventurers Guild and Academy. Rygic was surprised to see the steady flow of hopeful testers still arriving. It seemed that Quart was right, the affinity testing was an all-day event.

Once through the gates, Rygic asked, “Do you both mind if we take our time going back? We passed a few shops on the way in, and I’d like to see what they have.”

“No problems here,” replied Dreck.

“Me either,” answered Quart.

They passed a few shops before one caught their eye. Vials of all shapes and sizes lined the display window, each containing a kaleidoscope of vibrant liquids. The sign above the door read The Crucible, and just below it, there was a line proclaiming the effectiveness of their wondrous potions – from health potions to hair regrowth.

Once inside, Quart began to explain the merits of love potions to Rygic when Dreck leaned in close and whispered, “Don’t look, but I think we’re being followed.” Naturally, both Rygic and Quart immediately turned their heads and began to look at their immediate surroundings. When both failed to notice anyone, they gave Dreck an amused “ha-ha, very funny” look.

Shaking his head with a rueful smile, Dreck commented, “When someone says “don’t look... don’t. Whoever it was seemed to have vanished. They were just outside, looking through the windows.”

“I wonder who it could have been,” Rygic curiously asked. “You’re not pranking us, are you?”

“No, I promise. I wish I had gotten a better look. Nolrey maybe?” suggested Dreck.

“Already? No, too soon if you ask me,” remarked Quart.

“You’re probably right,” stated Dreck, though it sounded as if he wasn’t quite convinced.

“Hmm, maybe we should head straight to the Rusty Cow?” said Rygic.

“Probably best,” replied Dreck with Quart nodding in agreement. No sooner had they exited the shop than a voice spoke behind them, “About time.”

The three, startled by the sudden voice, nearly jumped. Quickly overcoming their surprise, they spun around to see who was behind them. A grinning Skoshi was leaning against the door frame.

“Skoshi!” greeted Rygic and Quart.

“Well met. How did the testing go?” inquired Skoshi.

“Very well! The three of us elected to stay on as Academy-trained mages,” answered Rygic. He then quickly gestured to his right, “This is Dreck. Dreck, this is Skoshi.”

“Nice to meet you,” greeted Dreck. His eyes slightly widened. “Skoshi Olden? Of House Olden?”

“The one and only,” replied Skoshi in a neutral voice.

Dreck quickly looked over to Rygic and asked, “Then when Quart yelled at Nolrey and said, “Do you know who he is,” does that mean... you are of the same house? Rygic Olden?”

“Yes, why? Is that a problem?” replied Rygic.

“Oh, not at all. Like I said before, I have always admired House Olden!” Dreck quickly answered.

“So, Did I overhear that you all are on your way to the Rusty Cow? I am on my way over there for lunch,” said Skoshi.

“Sure, but how long have you been following us?” inquired Rygic.

“Following you? I only just spotted you as you entered The Crucible and figured I’d wait for you to exit,” answered a confused Skoshi.

“I thought someone had been following us since we left the Academy grounds,” commented Dreck.

“Hmm, well it wasn’t me. I did see someone with short blonde hair and grey eyes looking through the window shortly before I walked up.”

“Nolrey!” fumed Quart.

“Nolrey Drakes, from House Drakes? I see you made some interesting friends today,” remarked Skoshi.

“Oh, he is no friend of mine,” Rygic quickly answered. He then proceeded to tell Skoshi what happened.

After Rygic finished his story, Skoshi suggested, “If I were you, I’d keep a good distance from Nolrey from now on. You don’t have to worry about him coming after you though. He will find out soon enough that you belong to House Olden. That alone should keep him from doing anything too rash. Still, best to avoid him.”

“I’ll try,” replied Rygic. He didn’t think the Academy was big enough to avoid Nolrey entirely.

“Good. Now let's get some lunch,” proposed Skoshi.

After a short time, they entered the Rusty Cow. Yaz, who wasn’t expecting to see them so soon, hurriedly walked over to them with a huge smile. “So, how did it go?” she asked.

“We’re students at the Academy now!” Rygic excitedly announced.

“That’s great! How about a round of ale on me to celebrate?” beamed Yaz.

“Yes, please!” they answered as one, including Skoshi.

Laughing, Yaz walked over to the keg to pour four ales. Before long, she was walking back toward them carrying the ales on a large wooden tray.

Quart flashed a mischievous grin as Yaz placed the mugs of ale down. "I love this stuff. Yaz, you should think about wholesaling Kewale.” He deliberately mispronounced Yaz’s house ale name.

“Kewlale, and yes, I have thought about it a few times Quart," Yaz corrected with a smile as she tidied up the empty tray. “Though honestly, I am not sure there is much of a market for a fruity-flavored ale that won’t even make a child tipsy.”

"Yes... Kewlale...," Quart conceded with a playful smirk, shooting Rygic a triumphant look before taking a sip. "It’s all about how you market it.”

Rygic stared at him incredulously, bemused by Quart's antics, before contributing to the conversation with a lighthearted chuckle. He reached for his mug and slightly nodded as he lifted it in Quart’s direction before taking a sip.

"I agree with Quart. Maybe commission an artist to have Quart smashing through a wall while drinking the stuff."

“That would be quite fun to see. Maybe I'll find an artist to do just that for the fun of it,” chuckled Yaz. Her expression then turned to one of curiosity, “By the way, did you happen to see my niece while you were there today? Couldn’t miss her, she is most likely the only dwarf with fiery red hair like mine.”

“Can’t say we did,” answered Quart. Rygic and Dreck both shook their heads.

“I am sure you’ll end up running into her at some point,” said Yaz.

“We’ll keep an eye out for her,” promised Rygic. “What’s her name?”

“Megas Firebeard,” replied Yaz. “Hopefully her affinity test went well today.”

“I am sure it did,” comforted Skoshi. “After all, she comes from a long line of Earth Magic users.” Rygic thought back to Dowa and the inspiring display of strength he portrayed.

“I’d be happy even if she ends up as a pure arcane mage. Her father though? He sees it more as a matter of family pride. Puts too many expectations on the kid, I’m afraid.” explained Yaz, a brief look of concern dawned on her face. As she saw a few patrons enter the tavern, her brilliant smile returned, and she excused herself to greet them.

“Speaking of affinities, which did you all get?” Skoshi casually asked.

“Water for me. Makes sense too since my favorite food is water chestnuts,” Quart eagerly answered.

“I am not entirely sure it works that way,” Skoshi teased. “Still, congratulations. Water can be quite powerful.”

“Shadow,” Dreck hesitantly stated. Some in Terran society viewed shadow as a necessary evil.

“Nothing wrong with Shadow,” assured Skoshi. “Not all shadow users are assassins or spies. Some of the greatest scouts in Viltis are shadow magic users. Congratulations.”

Everyone then looked expectantly at Rygic, waiting to see what magic affinity he had. “Aether magic,” Rygic answered.

“Aether magic? You mean arcane,” insisted Quart who thought he heard incorrectly.

“No, pretty sure it’s Aether,” Rygic asserted.

“Maybe it is one of the lesser spirits. After all, there are many different types of affinities,” commented Dreck.

Quart and Dreck then looked at Skoshi, expecting him to offer some sort of explanation. He had an odd look in his eyes as he studied Rygic. “Interesting,” he muttered. Then, with a voice almost too soft to be heard, Skoshi whispered and his eyes glowed blue. “Seiiki.” At Skoshi’s command, a barely visible bubble with a fiery orange tint formed around them before disappearing. Rygic noted that unlike before when Skoshi muttered to cast spells, this time he could clearly hear the incantation. He wondered if this was because he now had a magic affinity. Quart and Dreck stared at Skoshi, their eyes wide. Of the others in the Inn, only Yaz seemed to have noticed, though she didn’t seem alarmed. Skoshi’s glowing eyes quickly dimmed, reverting to their usual grey color.

“Was that Sanctum you just cast?” Dreck nervously asked.

“Yes. What I am about to say, stays here. Understood?” stated Skoshi while looking at the three of them with serious intent in his eyes.

Quart quickly nodded that he did, eagerly awaiting Skoshi’s reasoning for his command, while Dreck and Rygic both hesitated before doing so. Rygic wondered if he was in some sort of trouble. Skoshi studied each of their faces, especially Dreck’s, whom he looked at the longest. After a few moments, he seemed to reach a decision.

“Aether Magic is indeed one of the main affinities, though it is rarely seen. Yunea, the Spirit of Aether Magic, seldom presents herself as an option to testers. In the last 300 years, there may have been five. Now, I must ask you all to keep this a secret. Rygic, you should present yourself as having the arcane affinity.”

“Why the secrecy?” Rygic worriedly asked. He was elated that he would soon be able to cast spells. Now it was starting to sound like a curse. “Is it some form of taboo magic?”

“Nothing like that. For some reason, the Kosany always seem to target Aether Magic users either on the battlefield or through assassinations,” explained Skoshi. “You would do well to treat this knowledge with caution and care.”

“In that case, I'll do as you asked, Skoshi. Why arcane as the replacement?” inquired Rygic, his voice slightly betraying the calmness he tried to present. The thought of being targeted unnerved him, though he tried his best to hide it. He was beginning to wish he picked another affinity.

“Arcane is the most basic form of magic that all affinities can cast though they each have their own “flavors” of Arcane spells. You noticed when I cast Sanctum, there was a fiery tint to it? That is because of my affinity with Fire Magic. There are some affinities that can blend in with Arcane as their color palettes are similar, especially Aether Magic. It tends to appear as a very light sky-blue color.

“I’ll help to keep your affinity a secret, my friend,” Quart suddenly pledged.

“Though I haven’t known you for very long, I’ll do my best to cover for you as well,” promised Dreck.

“Thank you both. Now with that settled...,” Skoshi leaned back in his chair as he snapped his fingers. The protective bubble conjured by Skoshi's Sanctum spell materialized before their eyes once again, only to swiftly reveal minuscule fractures that spiderwebbed across its surface. In an instant, the fragile shield shattered into a thousand pieces, vanishing as abruptly as it had appeared. Skoshi reached for his mug of cold Kewlale.

“Now, a toast to you three! Congratulations on gaining an affinity,” he cheered before happily raising his mug.

“Cheers!” the three said at once, each raising their mug to meet Skoshi’s.

They whittled away the remaining hours of the day in the cozy tavern, indulging in a satisfying lunch and a hearty dinner. Much to their delight, Skoshi humored them by answering many questions on what to expect during their first few days at the Academy. At the end of the night, Skoshi suggested meeting for breakfast in the morning, to which the other three enthusiastically agreed. He then informed the group that he had secured Rygic his own room as well as Dreck. Dreck's response was nearly instantaneous, with a resounding "Yes, please!" Shortly afterward, they each made their way to their respective rooms. As they walked up the stairs, they couldn’t help but discuss their fascination with magic and how eager they were to learn all they could. Bidding each other a good night, they each entered their rooms, already anticipating the day ahead.

Sleep eluded Rygic for quite a while that night. He admitted to himself that he was quite nervous about his first day at the Academy. His mind was consumed with the events of the day and all that he saw while in the spirit realm with Seiran. Daunting thoughts of faking his affinity occupied his final musings before sleep eventually claimed him.

1