Chapter 10
11 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rygic, Quart, and Dreck stood outside the closed door to classroom 2-A, their breaths coming in heavy gasps. Although they left early, the streets to the Academy were busier than normal due to the influx of new students. They tried their best to set a fast pace as they feared they would be late for their first day. A momentary panic gripped the trio when they saw their classroom door was closed. Had class already started? Was the door closed to keep out late students?  Their apprehension subsided with a quick glance down the hall that revealed a gathering of fellow students, equally anxious and eagerly awaiting the opening of their respective classroom doors. Relieved, Rygic placed a hand on the wall, leaning for support as he caught his breath. Quart, still empowered by the copious amount of earthroot he had eaten at breakfast, merely looked at his two friends with a triumphant grin.  

With his hands on his hips, Dreck huffed “So glad we made it on time. I seriously thought we’d be late when I saw all the students walking.” They chuckled at each other’s unfounded panic. 

“You know, for someone with short legs, you’re pretty quick Quart! There were moments I was wondering if we could keep up with you!” teased Rygic. Quart simply smiled in response. He was just as surprised as his friends, though he didn’t let them know that. 

As more students made their way to their classroom doors, the hallway gradually became congested and heavily crowded, bustling with lively conversations and laughter. The collective hum of voices made it difficult for Rygic to hear his friends. Not only did the growing noise become a hindrance, but the combined body heat in the packed space began to make the ambient temperature feel a bit stuffy. 

Just when Rygic was about to suggest they go downstairs and wait, the door opened with Sage Taina Endo standing just inside the door. “Everyone assigned to room 2-A may now enter,” she called out. 

Rather than rush to the door, Rygic motioned Quart and Dreck to wait and join the end of the line. If they thought waiting in the crowded hallway was bad, the rush to the door was worse. Fellow students jostled one another for a better spot in the line that formed to enter. Sage Endo could be heard repeatedly telling the students not to gawk and to keep the line moving as they stepped inside.  

Rygic didn’t have to wait long before it was his turn to step through the door. Upon entering the classroom, he could immediately see why those who stepped inside simply stood there. A welcoming light breeze of fresh air wisped around him as he surveyed his surroundings. His eyes widened in awe at the picturesque scene that unfolded before him. He found himself standing in a sprawling, wide-open field, enclosed by a dense, verdant woodland. In the heart of the field, an arrangement of desks awaited each student, positioned neatly in the center. To the left were several archery targets while on the right, life-like target dummies could be seen.  

“If you would please move so the other two can come in?” asked Sage Endo who was wearing a black robe with a matching black woolen cloak and a pointed hat. Adorning the right side of the cloak was a small silver circle with a silver depiction of an open book inside it. 

“Oh!” Rygic replied with a slight jump. How long had he been standing there? His cheeks were slightly flushed due to his embarrassment, and he quickly moved to the side. Turning, he saw both Quart and Dreck showing similar reactions as they took in the lush green field that was to be their classroom. 

“I have heard of portal magic being used to create pocket dimensions, but never on this grand of a scale,” muttered Quart, still in awe with the grandeur of it all. 

“Me either. At most, a small bedroom or two. The cost to have such a dimension created must have been enormous,” added Dreck. 

“I saw several classrooms. Surely, they too would have their own pocket dimension?” speculated Rygic.  

“They do,” informed Sage Endo who overheard their conversation. Then in a louder voice, “If you will all take a seat, I'd like to begin orientation.” 

Those who were exploring the field quickly turned and made a mad dash to the empty desks. The classmates who were already sitting wore satisfied, smug faces since they had their choice of seating. The three friends hastened to find desks that were close to each other.  

“Thank Kalros,” murmured Quart after they found three unoccupied desks clustered together. 

“Thank who?” Rygic whispered.  

“Kalros. He’s the Spirit of Luck magic,” Quart quietly answered back.  

“Is that really a thing? Luck magic? How does that even work?” Rygic questioned softly. 

“It's more of a saying than anything. Anytime someone experiences fantastic luck, they always give their thanks to Kalros,” Dreck whispered. “Though it should be noted, they also curse him for horrible luck,” he added with a grin. 

 Sage Endo stood with an air of authority behind her desk, her gaze sweeping across the assembled students as if appraising them. Beside the desk was a large wooden crate. Two others stood next to her, a human and a dwarf. “Good morning! My name is Taina Endo, your instructor for the next three years. While you are my students, you’ll address me as Sage Endo. The two next to me will be assisting me. You will show them the same respect as you show me.” She then gestured towards the human, giving him room to introduce himself to the students.  

“I am Sage Exem Podaton,” began the tall human instructor with a warm smile, his hands folded behind his back. His tousled brown hair, standing tall and unrestrained, added a touch of charm to his otherwise odd appearance. His sharp grey-blue eyes missed nothing as he assessed each student with a keen and discerning gaze. “It is my duty to train those of you who favor melee over range combat,” he said before looking toward his colleague.  

“And I am Sage Pebble Artrock,” announced the dwarf to Endo’s left. She had raven-colored hair neatly braided behind her back and stood with an aura of confidence. Unlike the typical stoutness associated with dwarves, her build was somewhat less so, and she stood tall among her kin. “I will be guiding you in mastering the art of ranged combat, offering insights and techniques to excel in this particular discipline.” 

Satisfied with the introductions, Sage Endo continued. “It is our duty to ensure that each and every one of you finish your three years and become full-fledged mages. You will learn to wield your affinity with confidence and prowess. With luck, many of you will be recruited the day you graduate,” she stated. “Now, we are going to split into three groups. This is so we can determine which path is most suited for you. Those of you on the left side, move over towards the archery targets. Those on the right, please head towards the target dummies. The students in the middle, gather a short distance into the field behind you. Before you leave for your designated locations, each of you are to retrieve a cloak from this crate next to me.” 

The students began to quietly talk to one another in excitement as they made their way to the large box beside the Sages. One by one, the students retrieved their cloaks before continuing to their assigned positions according to Sage Endo’s orders. Rygic walked up to the crate and quickly picked up a hooded cloak. It was crafted from supple yet durable wool, its color a deep, earthy brown tone. For added warmth and protection, the interior was lined with fur. Similar to Sage Endo’s cloak, adorning the right side of the garment, a small black circle captured his attention. It was embellished with a silver depiction of an open book, the revered symbol of the academy. Stepping to the side, Rygic found a less crowded space where he could admire his cloak. Meanwhile, his fellow students continued to move along in the line to retrieve their hooded garments, each adorned with the Academy’s symbol in silver. 

Having donned their cloaks, Rygic, Quart, and Dreck proceeded towards the designated area on the right side of the field. Sage Podaton greeted them with a nod of acknowledgment, patiently awaiting the arrival of the remaining students. Behind him stood an imposing rack of melee weapons ranging from gleaming short swords to towering spears.  

As the last student joined the group, Sage Podaton stretched out his hands and announced, “Good morning! In a few moments, you will each select a weapon from the rack behind me. Those of you who have brought your own melee weapons may utilize them if you so choose. Once armed, your task will be to engage the target dummies positioned behind me. However, be warned, they have been enchanted to defend themselves.” Several students exchanged smug glances, confident that this trial wouldn't pose much of a challenge, already convinced of their success. Others were less eager to attempt close-range combat with the spellbound combatants, not knowing if their skills would be enough to impress the Sage, let alone land a hit. A few, like Rygic, wondered how exactly the target dummies would defend themselves. 

Rygic walked up to the closest weapon rack and looked over the available weapons. His eyes immediately swept over to a sword with a long slender blade, much like Skoshi’s. As he reached out to grasp the hilt, his fingers curled around the cool, polished metal, feeling the smoothness beneath his touch. The grip, wrapped in soft leather, provided a comfortable and secure hold, but the weapon still felt strange in his hands. Distancing himself from the others, he took a few practice swings with the sword. Looking around, he saw that other students were doing the same thing. A smile formed on his face as he watched Quart swing an overly large sword and nearly fell over. 

“Looks like everyone has chosen a weapon. When I call your name, please step towards a target dummy for evaluation,” instructed Sage Podaton. “Dreck Faytime.”  

Dreck walked up, wielding the daggers Skoshi had given him. 

“Nice daggers,” commented Sage Podaton. “Attack when ready. Remember, they will defend themselves.” 

With a nod of determination, Dreck's eyes fixated on the stationary target dummy positioned just a few strides away. At that moment, the lifeless figure seemed almost mocking, devoid of any indication that it could possibly take action. Dreck remained undeterred as he harnessed a surge of adrenaline, his muscles coiling like a tightly wound spring. In an instant, he launched himself toward the motionless target, a gleaming dagger held firmly in each of his hands.  The students gasped as they watched his display of agility and speed as he aimed for the vulnerable core of the dummy. Rygic wondered if Dreck had previous training before coming to the academy. In the blink of an eye, the dormant figure suddenly came alive, seamlessly swiveling to the side in a graceful evasion. Caught off guard by the dummy's unexpected response, Dreck found himself hurtling forward, propelled by his own momentum. Instinctively, he dove forward into a roll to evade the retaliatory strike. The dummy's hand was swift as it slashed through the air in a menacing arc, narrowly missing its target. Dreck, coming out of the roll, regained his footing and turned to face the target dummy, ready for more quick decisions and action, but to his surprise, the dummy never left its original spot and it had returned to its passive existence. 

“Not bad!” remarked Sage Podaton. Some of the students lightly clapped as others murmured to each other, eager to have their turn. 

“Thank you, sir,” replied Dreck. 

"No need for ‘sirs’, Sage is fine, Dreck," Sage Podaton corrected, his voice carrying a hint of both annoyance and amusement. 

Over the course of the following hours, the field became a bustling arena of aspiring combatants, each eager to test their skills against the unyielding target dummies. The sounds of clashing blades, grunts of exertion, and the occasional thud of bodies hitting the ground filled the air. Some students found themselves repeatedly foiled by the agile dummies, unable to land a single blow or defend against their relentless counterattacks. Frustration was etched on each of their faces and they were filled with the disappointment of continual attempts followed by equally as many woeful results. Yet, scattered amidst the many who struggled, there were a select few who showcased a glimmer of talent akin to Dreck's earlier endeavor. With deft movements and calculated strikes, they skillfully dodged and parried each of the dummies’ movements. Encouraged by their success, they continued to embrace the challenge and their weapons found their mark with satisfying precision. In the midst of the spectacle, Quart carved a distinctive path, albeit not exactly as intended. He avoided getting hit by the target dummy, though that was mainly because he fell before striking it due to the size of the sword he tried to wield.  

Rygic was the last to be called. "Rygic Olden," announced Sage Podaton. He immediately looked down to ensure he read that correctly. “Of House Olden?” 

“Yes, Sage Podaton,” Rygic answered back. A few hushed whispers could be heard around him. 

“Fantastic news! Please convey my greetings to Skoshi," Sage Podaton stated with a confident nod. “Proceed when ready.” 

As Rygic walked up to take his spot, he wondered just how popular Skoshi was and how many more people would ask him to say hello for them. Standing just before the target dummies, he closed his eyes to focus. He tried to remember how Skoshi held his weapon. His heart was pounding with a mix of anxiety and excitement. Rygic let his imagination paint a vivid picture of the impending fight. He could almost hear the clash of steel and feel the rush of adrenaline coursing through his veins. Taking a deep breath, he anchored himself in the present, his mind focused on the task at hand. He opened his eyes, tightened his grip on the sword, and focused on the target. Without warning, Rygic dashed forward with swift agility. Reaching the dummy, he lifted his sword high with determination, and heavily slashed down, hoping to strike the target directly in the chest. The target dummy sprang to life with unnatural grace as it leaned impossibly far back, nearly grazing the ground. Launching its counterattack, the adversary brought its fist up and surged towards Rygic's face. Rygic, was thankful he had paid attention to the other students before him, giving him an edge on how to deal with the target dummy. He slowed just before striking to give him time to avoid the blow. Although he was able to learn the target dummy’s abilities, he still lacked experience.  Before he could fully reorient himself, the target dummy, relentless in its attacks, unleashed a hooked punch with its other hand, striking Rygic's shoulder before he was able to move out of range. Rygic quickly turned around; his blade out front, ready for the next attack.  

“Not too bad, Rygic,” stated Sage Podaton as the target dummy went back to its original state. Quart and Dreck gave him nods of approval. 

Once Rygic realized the test was over, he relaxed his stance and wiped away a bead of sweat that rolled down the side of his face. He was surprised that things had gone as smoothly as they did. “Thank you, Sage.” As he walked over to join his friends, he wondered if he would fare as well in range combat. He was especially eager to try out the wand Skoshi had given him.  

“Now that everyone has completed this round of tests, I am going to call out a list of names,” began Sage Podaton. “Those whose names I didn’t call out, you are to head on over to Sage Artrock,” He then announced those that had performed well which included Rygic and Dreck. “Those that I have named, have displayed a high enough proficiency in melee combat to warrant additional training. Once you have seen both Sage Artrock and Sage Endo and wish to be masters of melee weapons, come see me once more.” 

With that, the group made their way over to Sage Artrock. Halfway there, they crossed paths with the students coming from her direction. They seemed to be on their way to see Sage Podaton. “How was it?” asked Sarey Avevue with a mixture of excitement and impatience. She was a fellow student who had undergone the affinity tests alongside the trio and stood at a petite five feet, her short, wavy black hair framing her face. 

“Wasn’t too bad. Don’t let the target dummies’ lack of mobility fool you, they can be quite fast,” warned Rygic. 

“Thanks!” replied Sarey, her dimples showing clearly with a wide smile. She along with the others hastened towards Sage Podaton. 

As they approached Sage Artrock, Rygic saw that she stood patiently waiting with her well-muscled arms folded across her chest. Behind her were several weapon racks full of ranged weapons. “Greetings. As you already know, I am Sage Artrock. It is my duty to determine if any of you have a natural ability with ranged weapons. Choose a weapon that most appeals to you, then wait for your name to be called.” 

Even though Rygic planned to use the wand Skoshi gifted him, he glanced over to see the available weapons. The students could choose from short bows, longbows, wands, staffs, darts, and throwing daggers. He was tempted to try out a bow but figured it would be best to focus on one weapon type for the time being. He moved out of the way so others could have a chance to look over the weapons. As the students from Rygic's group took their turn with ranged weapons, Quart displayed a noticeable improvement compared to his earlier attempts with melee combat. Dreck, much to his frustration, didn’t fare as well this round. He opted to use a short bow, but of all the arrows he shot, only one was able to hit the edge of an archery target. In contrast, Quart's decision to use the staff gifted to him by Skoshi proved fruitful. Each bolt of mana seemed to hit the center of the target. 

Finally, it was Rygic’s turn. Positioning himself squarely in front of the objective, he grasped his wand with a firm grip and concentrated on the target. His brows furrowed as he visualized the path of his mana, channeling it through the wand. The intricate runes etched on its surface responded to the presence of his mana, emitting a soft blue glow. A bright electrifying ball of mana surged from the tip of the wand. Though slower than Quart’s staff, the wand was highly accurate, always hitting true. He repeated the process, constantly hitting right in the middle of the target with unerring accuracy. Rygic remembered Dreck’s words regarding the lack of firepower from a wand. He found he’d rather have accuracy over damage. 

“Excellent work, Rygic,” praised Sage Artrock. 

“Thank you, Sage Artrock,” Rygic humbly replied. It felt awkward to be praised since he was told that wands tended to shoot true. Had he done well with a bow, he would have gladly accepted the praise.  

Sage Artrock then named the students who performed well, which included both Rygic and Quart. “Those that I have named should give serious thought about becoming masters at range combat. If you wish to be, please come see me. Now, for your final round of evaluation, you are to see Sage Endo,” she stated. 

The group then walked toward Sage Endo. To their surprise, rather than combat dummies and targets, they saw a ring of desks. On each desk was a few sheets of paper and a quill pen. Sage Endo gestured for the students to have a seat. “Hello. I am sure most of you are wondering what type of evaluation I’ll be administering. I’ll be assessing your aptitude in strategies and tactics.” She then began a grueling series of questions and what-ifs during certain scenarios. After what felt like hours, she instructed, “Pens down. I’ll come around and have a look at your answers. If you wish to stretch your legs you may do so, but do not go far.” 

Just as the students began to get out of their desks, Sage Endo’s eyes suddenly began to glow brightly as she whispered arcane words. She quickly thumbed through the students' answers at an astonishing speed. Rygic looked to his friends with a puzzled expression to which they returned with shrugs. The students around them were wearing the same baffled look as no one knew what type of spell Sage Endo was using. After about ten minutes, her blue glowing eyes faded. 

“You have all done well today, though some of you could do with additional tutoring in tactics. I will announce those who I think would make excellent group leaders. For those that I call out, strongly consider focusing your studies on party management. This holds especially true for those who tested well with Sages Artrock and Podaton.” She then proceeded to announce the names of the students who met her criteria of being possible leaders. When she called Rygic's name, he couldn't help but feel elated, albeit tempered by a somewhat weighty sense of responsibility. “Tomorrow, you’ll meet with those Sages that represent the areas you wish to focus on. Now, before you leave, take these,” directed Sage Endo as she emptied a small bag of rings out onto a nearby desk. “These are storage rings. Their space is limited so only store your weapons and anything else you deem necessary for the class and overall survival.” 

“Thank you!” chimed the students almost as one. Rygic held the ring in between his thumb and index finger as he studied it.  

“Keep in mind these are low-tier storage rings. If you want a ring with more space, you will have to purchase one. Be warned though, they can be incredibly expensive,” explained Sage Endo. “This ends your first day of class. Be sure to wear your student cloaks as well as the rings to each class.” 

The group, followed by those coming from Sage Artrock and Sage Podaton’s direction, began to walk over to the door leading out of the classroom. Unexpectedly, the hard work from class left Rygic feeling tired and hungry.  

“You two okay with dinner at the Rusty Cow?” asked Rygic. “I dunno about you both, but I’m ready to call it a day and relax.” 

“Me too. I could really go for some of Yaz’s food right now. It’s always amazing. As a matter of fact, The Rusty Cow might be my favorite place in Rinkon,” replied Quart. 

“Mine too,” said Dreck before adding with a grin, “And it’s free.” 

“True!” responded Rygic with a slight chuckle.  

1