Chapter 3
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Come, I am sure you have many questions, Rygic. Be sure to stay close. These woods can be quite dangerous for those who are newly arrived. Even the squirrels here could possibly harm you,” said Skoshi who turned around and walked a short distance away to a nearby campfire. Rygic dutifully followed, eager to finally get some answers. The campfire, which most likely belonged to the previous guards on watch, burned low and offered little light. Skoshi found a small stack of firewood nearby and added it to sputtering flames. The campfire hungrily consumed the wood and began to burn brighter, offering a gentle warmth and comforting glow to those nearby.

Skoshi’s eyes glowed blue as he muttered strange words Rygic couldn’t quite hear. A semitransparent bubble, tinged with a fiery orange color, enveloped a small space around the campfire. Slowly, the barrier faded into invisibility. Rygic noted he could no longer hear the hushed whispers from the guards, nor the ambient evening sounds from the woods. Skoshi couldn’t help but smirk seeing the surprised look on Rygic’s face.

Confident that his spell had taken effect, Skoshi remarked, “Now we can talk freely. First, I must apologize. You see, it was I who was tasked to be your guide. Normally there is always someone present to welcome those who arrive from the Spirt Realm.”

“It's okay, Skoshi. It all worked out. I will admit though, I was beginning to wonder if I was left to my own devices,” chuckled Rygic.

“Thank you for being understanding. If I may add, in my defense of being tardy, it has been some time since anyone has chosen House Olden as their starting area, particularly with the encroachment of Kosany into our lands. Because there was no need to stay close by, I was near the border to Kosany, for I too, had heard rumors of their scouts crossing over. Thankfully, I was no more than a day's journey away.”

“Are there no others from House Olden to have greeted me?” asked Rygic.

Skoshi, with a slight hesitation, replied, “No, I am the only elf from House Olden still living.”

“What does being an elf have to do with greeting me upon my arrival?” questioned Rygic.

Skoshi pulled back his hood revealing grey almond-shaped eyes. He had long straight raven colored hair and tanned skin. Pointed ears could just be seen poking through his hair. “The main difference between elves and humans is our ears are tipped, we tend to be shorter, and we live much longer lives. I say we because you too are an elf.” Rygic slowly moved his hands up to his ears, his fingers tracing them to their tips. “As do all who travel to Terra from the spirit realm.”

Rygic glanced over toward the direction of Sergeant Balram and Lyric. While he couldn’t clearly see the guard’s ears, the healer’s seemed to be rounded. “And Sergeant Balram and Lyric?”

“They are human, the predominant race in Viltis,” answered Skoshi.

“Are there other races in Viltis?” asked Rygic.

“Yes, there are few others, most notably the Dwarves and Gnomes,” replied Skoshi. He looked over toward the wounded, scanning for such races. “Seems like this group of guards are human. No matter, you’ll meet plenty in Rinkon.”

“And of the other Elven houses, are there many of us?” Rygic hesitantly asked.

“No. Our population is the lowest as procreation among us is a rare occurrence," answered Skoshi, whose face briefly took on a thoughtful and saddened look. “Not for the lack of trying, mind you,” he chuckled hastily, the somber expression vanishing quickly. “Our numbers are small but slowly growing. Few opt for a second life; most seem to move on to the afterlife.”

“So, you are the only elf from House Olden, meaning no others have chosen it as their starting location,” Rygic mumbled to himself.

Able to catch his words, Skoshi smirked, “Regret your choice now?”

“Oh no, just a bit surprised. I chose this location because I thought I would be of immediate help. I figured others would have done the same. It is surprising you are the only member though,” answered Rygic.

“Ah, but I didn’t say I was the only one. I said I was the only elf,” commented Skoshi with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. “You’ll find House Olden is a bit different from the other elven houses.”

Rygic raised his eyebrow at Skoshi's cryptic response before Skoshi continued. “I have to say, I am surprised you didn’t ask me how I even knew someone was coming from the Spirit Realm.”

“That did cross my mind. It just seems the more I learn the more questions I have, and that question was replaced by another,” Rygic admitted.

Quite Understandable! As for how I knew, you see, my patron, Nena, the Spirit of Fire Magic, told me that House Olden was getting a new member while I dreamt.”

“We can talk to the Spirits in our dreams?” Rygic asked, his eyes widened in wonder.

Skoshi slowly tilted his neck from side to side in a stretch as he thought of how to better explain his statement. “It’s not so much talking… I suppose you could say it’s more like experiencing clear images and feelings."

Thinking of Skoshi’s words, Rygic asked, “Who are the Spirits exactly?”

“For that, a brief history lesson is in order.”

Skoshi brought out a small glass object in the shape of a disk and held it up so Rygic could get a good look. Delicate runes were etched on its polished surface. “This is called a memory gem. They are often used as a teaching device,” explained Skoshi. He then placed it on the ground near the campfire. “Now, if you feed it a little bit of mana...” Reaching down, Skoshi touched the memory gem. The runes on the memory gem began to glow blue and an image began to form above it.

A scenic panorama came into view, showcasing blue skies, fertile lands, and clear sparkling bodies of water. The perspective shifted as it zoomed towards the center, revealing majestic, marbled buildings in intricate detail.

“What you are seeing is an artist’s rendition of the spirit realm where the Spirits, the Seirandal, guardians of Terra live. Those buildings are where they dwell,” commented Skoshi.

Rygic, mesmerized, could only nod as he watched. The image continued to zoom in until it showed a gathering of beings who were beautiful and perfect without blemish. Rygic noted they too had pointed ears. The image then changed from an idyllic paradise to one of war. The once-pristine land looked war-torn, ravaged, and scorched. There seemed to be two groups of Seirandal fighting one another. Brilliant and powerful spells were being cast from each side.

“What you are seeing now is the result of a powerful spirit named Chaosia rebelling against the Seirandal. She was once the Spirit of Death Magic,” Skoshi stated. “And before you ask, no, Death Magic isn’t inherently evil. For what is life without death? Chaosia eventually became greedy and resentful of their task as protectors. She wondered why the spirits should have to act as guardians. Chaosia believed they should rule Terra. Gathering like-minded spirits, she rebelled against the other Seirandal,” he went on. He was now warming his hands by the fire.

The scenes of battle were replaced by images of the Seirandal cheering and hugging each other, celebrating their victory over Chaosia. A group of Spirits sat nearby, bound and placed in gleaming magical chains. In the middle of that group sat a spirit who must have looked quite beautiful in the past. Now, she appeared haggard, wrathful and full of vengeance. Her menacing eyes scanned the gleeful spirits with an air of malevolence. Though Rygic couldn’t explain it, he knew without a doubt that it was Chaosia. The scene then switched to the defeated group being forced through a portal. Humiliated and enraged, Chaosia vehemently vowed that she would return to rule over all and destroy the Seirandal. Renouncing herself as one of them, she strode through the portal, destined for her imprisonment. As the very last spirit walked through the portal, the memory gem’s glyphs faded, and the image disappeared.

“Her rebellion was eventually crushed, and she along with most of her followers were banished to the Nether Realm,” Skoshi narrated. “Unfortunately, not all her followers were completely banished. Before the spirit civil war, numerous minor spirits served as attendants to the mightier Seirandal. Some of them chose to side with Chaosia. As punishment for those minor spirits, the Seirandal stripped them of their power. Alas, this ultimately proved to be a detriment to those who live on Terra. The Seirandal acted in haste with their punishment and could not foresee what was to come. Moments before she was sent to the Nether Realm, Chaosia was able to transport the minor spirits to Terra since they were no longer considered spirits. The orcs you met tonight are descendants of some of those spirits. They, along with the other former spirits, established the Kosany Empire and we have been at war ever since.”

“So, the Kosany are made up of former spirits who rebelled along with Chaosia? And their goal is to enslave and rule Terra? If Chaosia is banished, who rules them?” Rygic asked.

“The Kosany Empire is ruled by an emperor. Though we are not sure who he is exactly as no one has ever laid eyes on him. Well, at least those of us who are still among the living,” Skoshi answered before falling silent.

Rygic stared into the campfire as he thought over what the memory gem had revealed to him. He thought of Kelis, his first interaction with a Seirandal. He finally drew his gaze from the fire and glanced around his surroundings. “Where are we, exactly? I had expected to arrive near a town, not in the middle of a clearing surrounded by trees.”

“You are in Wondaeri forest, not far from your chosen starting location, Rikon, a city in the Kingdom Viltis. Tell me, how is Kelis doing? It has been a long time since I last saw him,” Skoshi asked.

“You know Kelis? He is well, I guess? We didn’t really talk long. Our conversations mainly centered around my decision to come to Terra,” answered Rygic.

“He was like that with me as well. Kind and patient but mainly focused on the task at hand,” replied Skoshi. “And what magic affinity did you acquire?”

“Sorry? Magic Affinity?” asked a confused Rygic.

With a knowing look, Skoshi answered, “Ah, you must have been under the age of twenty when you visited the Spirt Realm… Outside of your control really. Better to be sure though.” Skoshi’s eyes glowed ever so lightly blue as he studied Rygic. “You’re nineteen, almost twenty. In fact, your birthday is tomorrow.”

“How do you even know that?” asked a very surprised Rygic. He tried to remember if tomorrow was indeed his birthday or not. The answer eluded him, as if just out of reach, like many of the other memories he had tried to recall.

“With magic of course,” Skoshi casually replied. “Notice how my eyes glowed blue? That is a sign for when a mage casts a spell. The stronger the spell, the brighter the blue. I used the spell Inspect on you. It allows me to sense things such as your age among other things. As for your birthday? It's always the following day for those newly arrived on Terra.”

At first, Rygic thought it was odd how his birthday was assigned in such a way, though the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. A new beginning in a new world – hence, a birthday. “What does my age have to do with... a magic affinity?” asked Rygic. The more he learned the more he began to feel out of depth.

“On the world of Terra, only those who are age twenty are allowed to gain a magic affinity. Why do you ask? I am not sure, though scholars have suspected it has to do with the maturity level of the caster when visiting the Spirit Realm. Those who remember to ask when they visit, always receive the same answer. That is, a vague one and a kind smile before the Spirit promptly changes the subject.”

“But I have already been to the Spirit Realm. I am sure Kelis never mentioned anything about an affinity to magic?” Slight panic built up in Rygic as he feared he might have weakened his chances at using magic.

“No, you’ll just have to go through the process like every other native Terran,” stated Skoshi.

Relieved at Skoshi’s answer, Rygic thought back to Skoshi’s glowing eyes. “So, when a mage casts a spell, their eyes glow blue… Why is that?”

Skoshi chuckled and lightly shook his head. “You sure are an inquisitive one. I wonder if I was the same, asking so many questions back-to-back.” Rygic felt a sliver of embarrassment, but thankfully Skoshi didn’t seem to truly mind his barrage of questions. “Magical spells can only be cast if you have an affinity to one of the many schools of magic. To gain this, you must acquire the favor of one of the spirits residing in the Spirt realm, hence the need to revisit. The blue eyes are a byproduct of gaining such favor. Surely you remember how blue Kelis’ eyes were?”

Rygic nodded, trying to appear as if he was able to process everything easily. Skoshi, however, knew better. He still remembered his first few days on Terra. Taking pity, he said, “Look, it is a lot to take in. We have a day or so journey to Rinkon. There will be plenty of time for more questions tomorrow.” Skoshi pointed to a bedroll lying nearby, “Try to get some sleep.” Then smirking he added, “Oh, and don’t worry. No one expects you to be the world’s savior or anything.”

Rygic nodded with a smile. He had wondered if perhaps he was part of some greater plan from the Spirits. Feeling a bit relieved, he turned and slowly walked over to a small pile of supplies where he found a suitable bed roll. Unsure of how to set it up, he snuck a glance at Skoshi who was busying himself with the same task. Following Skoshi’s lead, he removed a few rocks and sticks out of the way before unrolling his bed roll.

“I’ll be right back,” Skoshi said as he finished setting up. Rygic followed Skoshi with his eyes as he walked a wide circle around the camp. Occasionally, Rygic would see Skoshi’s eyes glow as he waved his hand in a half circle pattern. Completing his task, he walked back toward Rygic and began to settle in for the night. “You can rest easy Rygic. I have set up magical wards around the perimeter. Should anything come close, we’ll know about it.”

Nodding, Rygic laid down. Closing his eyes, he thought over the events since he arrived from the Spirit Realm. Only his first day and so much had happened. Skoshi's mention of even the forest squirrels being a threat lingered in his thoughts as he drifted off to sleep.

2