Chapter 6: Veiled Dreams – Part 2.
23 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Uncertain where to begin, Ellie mirrored her hostess and added sugar to her own tea then took a breath and reached into her pocket. “Since you are being so kind, I might as well take this and hand it to you until we are done.”  Knowing that normally she wouldn’t have bothered mentioning the phone in her pocket recording her encounter, Ellie took the opportunity to delete the conversation that had been recorded. “Like I said before, I feel like I am at my grandma’s place.”

Rubbing her palm lightly, Tatum smiled and reached over and picked up the device. “Quite alright, Agent.  We all forget things don’t we?”  She patted the phone confidently, “Let’s start over.  How can I assist?”

“Angelie Kino.”  Thinking about her girlfriend, Ellie quickly blurted out the name. “I..um, following up on her death.  I was hoping you could maybe shed light on why she was found at the..” Ellie looked up in thought, “..Crow farm.”

Counting down from three, Tatum pointed to the kitchen when the count hit zero and a little bell started ringing. “Scones.”  She mentioned in a light southern drawl. “The mind works better with energy, allow me to think about the name while I get our little meal out of the oven.”  With a light curtsy, Tatum disappeared from the sunroom with another twirl from her flowery dress.

Finally alone with her thoughts once more, Ellie looked around the room she occupied.  Except for the corners, the room was completely covered in windows which also included the roof.  Hanging from well-placed plastic hooks, Ellie noticed black and orange lights that reflected the Halloween season.  Plants that Ellie recognized for their medicinal and herbal value sat on little metal shelves so that they absorbed light and heat even in the coldest time of winter.

-So relaxing.  I thought this was going to be difficult.-

Laughing to herself after spotting the marijuana plants in the far corner, Ellie quickly came to understand why it seemed Tatum was so friendly and willing to help.

-Helps to be stoned.  Man, I wish.-

Sipping on her tea, Ellie recalled the few times in college that she’d gotten high and loved the idea of being that relaxed again.

-Unfortunately, I work for a very uptight agency.-

Something glinted and caught Ellie’s peripheral vision.  Facing where the shine had come from, She noticed that it came from a set of rocks that covered the soil for what looked to be an aloe plant.  Curiosity got the better of the agent and she set her tea down and walked over to inspect the blue-white rock.  No sooner had she reached down to grab a handful, Ellie heard a set of footsteps and turned to face the noise. “Beautiful.  I don’t know that I have ever seen something so soothing.”  She pointed all over the room. “Again, this place is almost a little heaven from the world.”

Setting the tray of flaky triangle puffs on the table, Tatum walked over and stood beside Ellie. “Kyanite.”  She paused and winked one of her hazel eyes, “It is said to promote spiritual and psychic awareness, almost like an awakening.”  Taking Ellie’s hand into her own, Tatum gently coaxed her back to the table. “Butter is there beside the scones.”  Tatum helped Ellie back to her seat and then sat down as well. “I know the name, but it was from reviewing the criminal case that had been filed.”  She buttered her own triangle, “I can’t say that I have ever truly met Angelie.”  She shrugged before taking a bite, “Sorry.”

Comfortably seated and enjoying the food given, Ellie lightly waved off the answer. “It was a long shot.”  She took a few sips of the Earl Gray, “Let me share what I do know, Miss Blackwell.”  Ellie felt her mind clear for a moment as she visualized Angelie’s hand against her cheek. “I know she was doing something she called important at the Crow farm.”  She snapped her fingers, “It was you saying awakening..”  Ellie looked over at the blue rocks again, “..that made me recall her saying something very similar.   Have any idea what that could have meant?”

“I am sure she thought it was important, Agent Miller.”  Tatum thoughtfully remarked, “I can tell you with complete certainty that I didn’t get into the business that went on up on the farm.”  Sighing lightly, Tatum daintily sipped more of her tea, “Perhaps you are looking for your answers in the wrong place, Agent.”  Setting the cup back into its saucer, Tatum stood up and walked to a window and pointed to a maple tree that had lost most of its leaves for the season. “You can see that the tree had the leaves, they are surrounding it, right?”  Tatum looked and saw Ellie nod, “That was the easy part.  Autumn has come and the tree is going to hibernate.”  She paused, “It took looking beyond the obvious to determine how the leaves turn orange and gold.”  Folding her arms over her chest, Tatum grinned. “Look beyond what and investigate why.”

Convinced by the length and way she’d structured the answer that wasn’t an answer, Ellie felt for the first time that she’d been ‘lawyered’ by Tatum. “You are quick as a ferret, Miss Blackwell.”  Ellie quipped and got up out of the chair to stand toe to toe with Tatum. “My question wasn’t about what went on up there.”  Briefly pausing, Ellie half-smiled. “I asked you what it meant to be awake or awakened.”  Pointing her finger at Tatum, Ellie doubled down on her line of questioning. “I suspect you know exactly what went on at that farm.”  She folded her arms to match Tatum, “I did a little background check on you before I came here.”  Confident that she had an angle, Ellie pressed. “I was shocked to see that there was no information on you until 1984.  Nothing.  It was like you didn’t exist.”  Watching for a reaction, Ellie was a little disappointed when Tatum’s face remained calm. “Alright, Let’s go on.”  Picking up a couple of the kyanite rocks and juggling them in her hand, Agent Miller probed further. “I found it odd that someone named Tatum wouldn’t be known.”  She pointed to the barren tree, “So I did a basic search through birth records for girls named Tatum born from 1930 to present.”  Ellie pointed to a few leaves that were well beyond where they should have landed. “It turns out that Tatum is a pretty rare name in this area.  I found exactly six birth certificates with the name.”  Scratching the side of her mouth for a moment, Ellie finished up. “Oddly, when you correlate that to the owner of the farm, Denise Crow, one name lined up to be about the same age.  Tatum Brakwell.”  She chuckled, “Brakwell, Blackwell?  Not a very good alias.”  Ellie peered into Tatum's gentle hazel eyes. “You might not have participated in what happened at that farm, but I suspect you know exactly what went on up there.  It is why you worked so hard to destroy the evidence and break the cases.”

“Have a seat Agent Miller.” Tatum’s southern voice came out a little more stern.  Waiting until her guest resumed her seat, Tatum once more pointed to the scones. “Good.”  Tatum sat down and leaned back in her chair. “Yes, awakened is an important thing.”  She paused and waited until Ellie started eating once again. “Accept that there are things that I can and can’t tell you for your own safety.”  Tatum saw the confusion cross through Ellie’s brown eyes, “What she told you was not a lie, furthermore her awakening was a planned event so her unique skills as a soldier could be employed.”  Tatum paused for a sip of tea, “Whatever you are thinking, Agent Miller, Captain Kino was not the enemy.”  Reaching across the table to pick up the few kyanite rocks Ellie had picked up, Tatum almost hissed her next few words. “The enemy is far far more cunning.”

Expecting more of a fight from her hostess, Ellie did the best she could to hide the shock that flowed in her mind. “So that is all I am going to get about the subject of being awakened?”  Blinking and looking away from Tatum after she’d affirmed the question, Agent Miller finished her buttery biscuit, “Let’s assume for a moment that I ignore the things I dug up on you, since to be honest it doesn’t make any sense.”

“Alright.  Go on.”  Tatum smiled.

Switching her inquiry from the obvious target of the farm, Ellie tapped on her chin for a moment. “The terrorist attack on Petersburg, the same night that Angelie died.”  Ellie paused, “I know for a fact she was there.”

“Alright.”  Tatum kept smiling and then raised her eyebrows, “Curious.  What makes you think it was a terrorist attack?”

3