Chapter 8: Banquet
154 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let's have a toast for successfully defending the village!"
We're having a banquet in the center of the village.
When I asked them why they had to prepare this grandly. They gladly answered me. According to what they said, every time the monsters attack their village. Someone always dies, that's why they are so happy that no one dies this time.
"But this complete victory would not happen without the help of our savior. Let me introduce our village hero, Mr. Jun!"
The speaker gives me a hand sign to go beside him. I get up from my seat and move beside him. I wave my hands to the villagers who are calling my name, It looks like I'm a politician campaigning for election.
"Can our hero speaks some words for the people of this village."
Some words huh. Words of encouragement may be the best line of words in my speech here based on the topic that we're talking about.
"Good evening to everyone, I'm elated because of you all seeing me as a savior. But this victory is not because of mine alone, It because of everyone who fought for their lives and their love ones. I'm not the only hero here. Because all of us are heroes! So let's eat, drink, and celebrate our victory!"
WooOooOooHhuUU!!
Loud cheers resounded after my speech.
"It seems my speech is perfect."
Grabbing some food, I walk towards Xena and sit beside her.
"Want some food?"
I hand her a big lump of meat. She joyfully bites it and eats it eagerly.
I also start eating my food while watching the dancing villagers circling the bonfire in the center.
Even though their lives here is full of danger, they can still smile like that, It feels like nothing happened earlier.
"B-brother?"
A little cute girl called me shyly. What a cute creature! this girl!
"What is it?"
I positively responded to her. Observing her, both her hands are on her back. Is she hiding something?
"D-do you want some sweets?"
She shows the thing her hands held behind her. I reach out and took the sweets. It appears like small hard candies, I take one and put it inside of my mouth.
It is a little bit sweet and also sour. Based on my knowledge, Sugar here was very expensive, even salt has a high price too.
To give me her precious candies means she's very grateful to me.
Putting my hand over her head I pat her gently.
"Thank you, it's sweet, I like it."
She smiles brightly and chuckles cutely.
"Do you want something, just say it and I'll give it to you."
Her finger slowly points in Xena's direction.
Oh! She wants to feel her fur huh. Maybe she got jealous of other kids earlier.
"Xena, come here."
She turns around and walks towards me. She already finished eating her dinner and just lazily lying down and watching the villagers.
"There she is, you can pet her as much as you want."
"R-really...! I can...!"
I nodded at her.
She crouches down and started feeling her fur. Xena doesn't seem irritated and looks satisfied in the girl's petting.
!? I get up from my seat and sneakily move away.
「Master, are you going by yourself?」
It seems she also senses multiple presences that approaching the village.
Based on their movements and magical power we already identified that those presences are from monsters.
I nodded at her as a form of confirmation.
She understands my action and continues her listless self.
"Oh! Mr. Jun where are you going? The night was already deep, it's very dangerous to go inside the forest."
A villager saw me approaching the forest.
"I'm just going to pick flowers. Don't worry about me and enjoy yourself. I'm going to join you later."
"Ohoho...! our hero is going to join us! We will wait for you!"
After tapping my shoulder, he cheerfully goes back to the banquet area.
"Whuu... he almost got me."
If that guy has a good sense of awareness, he would already perceive the reason why I'm going inside the forest.
I don't want to destroy their celebration, so I will deal with those monsters as quietly as I can to not disturb them.
Entering the forest I immediately take out my sword from my storage.
"[Air Walk]."
After I got high enough to see the entire forest.
I used not Night Vision and Farsight.
"A hundred of goblins and few silver wolves huh."
I can see three groups of monsters. Left, middle and right was their formation.
They're still far away from here. The biggest group is my first target and that group is on the left side.
"[Teleport]."
"Kisha..?"
The group of goblins got surprised to see me instantly appeared out of nowhere.
"I don't have time to explain myself, just defend yourself if you can."
I swiftly slashed the goblins one by one. The other goblins got petrified seeing their comrade's lifeless body fall down. Some try to escape, but it's futile because of my teleportation magic.
In just a minute I eliminated the first group.
"Alright, next group!"
I quickly run and swiftly dodged the tree branches.
"Oh? There they are."
Goblins are riding the silver wolves.
"Goblin riders huh."
These kinds of goblins are a very problematic enemy for normal adventurers. Goblin extermination can get by the F to E rank adventurers. It's alright to give this job to them IF their enemies are only regular goblins. But if the kind of goblin they're going to fight is like these goblin riders, it's a good choice to run away or just kill yourself if you got cornered. If the adventurer is a girl, suicide is the best way than becoming the goblin's breeding machine.
But these goblin riders are just an easy enemy for me.
"[Instantaneous Movement]."
Suddenly appearing in front of them I quickly slashed their necks one by one. I also beheaded their mounts.
"With this, only one group left."
Conveniently, they are all coming from the direction where we came from, that's why I can freely use my teleportation.
But something is different about this group. Their formation is solid, they seem alert and kind of sharp.
Observing their group I saw a monster that different from the others. It's massive like a dragon and hovering above the group of monsters, It also makes a loud sound.
It looks like it is commanding the monsters.
"Appraisal."

[Name: Great Garuda
Age: 250
Level: 121
Race: Garuda〖Mythical race〗]

"Whoa... another mythical race huh. This forest is truly full of ridiculously strong monsters."
Naming it as [Disposable Forest] very suited to it.
Closing in I clearly saw the appearance of the great Garuda.
It has six long and big wings, sharp talons, and muscular legs. It has a crest of long, narrow feathers, with brown feathers above and white feathers below.
"So majestic..."
What's with this monster, it is giving off a dignified aura. Like a splendid King or a glorious warrior.
As a mythical race, I supposed it can communicate with humans.
Rather than instantly appearing, I slowly approach them.
"Hello, As a new ruler of the south and north part of this forest, I glad to see you here. Great Garuda "Ruler of the East"."

[Title: Ruler of the Sky, Ruler of the Disposable Forest (Eastern Part)]

Yeah, This majestic big bird is one of the rulers of the Disposable Forest. I saw it earlier when I check its status.
Hearing my words the great garuda fly down and lands in front of me.
Its size is almost the same as the Black Dragon.
"...You're the one who killed both the south and north ruler?"
The great garuda seems doubtful about my words.
"Of course, I'm telling the truth."
"Hahaha...You're a funny one human as if you can do it."
Are most mythical beings are always arrogant and haughty. I know that they are a superior race, but can they behave with good manners, like Xena.
I walk towards the garuda and stop only a few meters away from it.
Slowly lifting my head showing my wicked smile.
"Do you want to see it? the power that killed those rulers?"
The Garuda quickly move backward sensing my killing intent.
"[Intimidation]."
All of them froze and can't move. The ruler of the east trembles and can only stares at me with wide eyes and hints of frightened.
After approaching it I placed my sword above its head.
"Do you want to live?"
The Garuda appears to be surprised about what I said. I'm thinking of using this monster with a good purpose for the village.
"I-I want to live. I d-don't want to die y-yet..."
Forcing those words out of its mouth I remove my sword from its head.
"Become my familiar and your life will be saved."
Its eyes widely open and after a moment it slowly closes it.
"You're a splendid human being I've seen so far. You can kill me here if you want but you still giving me a chance to live. As of now, I'll become your familiar. Please name this one, my Master."
My outer appearance looks calm but inside I'm truly surprised that this mythical monster easily backs down.
Well, it's good that it surrendered because that's what I'm planning from the very beginning.
"From now on, you may call yourself as Gale."
A bright light envelopes its body for a few second and the light slowly dissipated.
With this, our contract is established
"I, Gale will become your familiar as long as I live."
I cancel the intimidation magic from Gale to make her free. Because she's now my familiar, I'll stop referring her like a monster and treat her as a companion from now on.
Gale bowed to me splendidly.
"Now that I'm now your master, could you make your subordinates retreat."
She's now my familiar that's why my command is absolute.
I want to get back as quickly as possible. The foods in the banquet are all tasty and appetizing than eating that damn skewers.
However, Gale only tilted her head and asked.
"My subordinate? I have no subordinate here Master."
"Heh!"
What this bird blabbing about. It is pretty obvious that she's the one commanding the monsters.
"Those goblins and silver wolves, aren't those are your subordinates?"
Looking around she saw the monsters in our surroundings that couldn't still move.
"Ah! those monsters are not my subordinate."
"They're not? but you make a sound earlier like you're giving them a command."
Gale embarrassingly turns her head away.
"W-what I'm shouting earlier is not a command. W-what I'm shouting earlier is "Food! all of you can't run away from me, my food!" that's what I'm shouting."
She can't hide her shyness anymore and cover her face with her big wings.
Even though her face is like an eagle I can still perceive her emotion. Like my theory earlier, being my familiar makes me understand them physically and emotionally huh.
"If these monsters are your food you can partake them now."
"Really! Master! alright, I'll accept your offer!"
She starts eating the monsters who are helplessly trying to escape, but because of my [Intimidation] skill still in effect, their struggles are futile.
"Just eat here, but after eating I want you to patrol in the perimeter of this area and kill all the monster you see. The village ahead is my place so don't attack it and the people living there."
"As you will, Master."
I quickly go back to the village after giving Gale a command.
"Gale was strong and have good judgment. Making her as a guardian of this village is a good idea."
Yeah, my plan all along makes Gale as a guard for the villagers.
Gale can protect slaughter by all the monsters loitering around the village before it can cause damage or attack humans.
Arriving at the village I slowly walk in the banquet.
"Oh! our hero arrived."
The village head gets up and welcomes me.
"Here! here! sit beside me!"
He offered me the seat near him. I move forward and sit there.
"Hey, Mr. Hero do you know... I have a beautiful daughter. Do you want to see her?"
This again huh. Why these guys offering their daughter to me like some kind of candy.
Feeling annoyed, I still go with the flow.
"Of course, I want too, but is it all right? You don't know who I'm really am. Maybe I'm a bad person and assault your daughter."
I give him a hint that not all guys who do good things are truly good people.
"It's okay I know you'll not do it, because you're a fine guy."
Tapping my shoulder we get up and leave the banquet. He guides his house.
This man is undoubtedly carefree, have a bit of suspicion on someone who you just meet.
"We are here now! This is my house, come in!"
He excitedly opens the door and goes inside, I go after him.
"Claire! I'm home! We have a visitor!"

1