Chapter: 11
224 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The new Nevermore hardly gave any heads-up, the moment it appeared, rain of feathers immediately poured down on them. Prompted the act without even having time to catch their rest.    

“Hm—Pyrrha! I think we best scatter. Being close together will only wind up making us both be a target.”   

He worded out while he leapt and spun mid-air. As two simultaneous sharp feathers hurtled inches near and narrowly missed its mark. Phew. The feeling of escaping the clutches of those dangerous feathers, made him heave a sigh of relief.   

He landed down with a hard thud!   

For a moment, Pyrrha hesitated. “B-but what about yo~”

He glanced back at her and cut her off, “I told before not to worry about me. Instead prioritize yourself first. Hah… if we were to scatter the Nevermore would only be able to focus on one of us. Leaving it open for others to attack. While on the other hand, being huddle-up in a group will make us one huge target.”  

Hmm—Doesn't sound good, right?” He locked eyes with her while she winced. However, upon still spotting a slight hesitation in her emerald green pupils. 

He sighs while feeling his temple throbbed from helplessness. “Just do it, okay.”     

Momentarily, Pyrrha still wavers and bites into her red lips. Her eyes measuring his, in that moment, many thoughts washed over her as she stared into his eyes.   

Until finally she gave in. “A-Alright! Be-be careful! I rushed in to help when you're in trouble. ” She said while gritting her pure white teeth.   

“Got it.”

Afterward, she bolted oppositely while her eyes still locked to him.    

As for Jaune, he felt relieved that she listened. 

Bolted further away. The hovering Nevermore still casts its glowing eyes to him and hurtled down feathers shots. Though, too bad for the Nevermore, with great agility and reflexes he avoided them and swiftly maneuvered further.  

After a good 5 seconds. 

If Jaune wasn’t sure about Nevermore having no intelligence. He’d thought he saw the Nevermore looking a little irritated after he successfully avoided the many feathers. 

But speaking from what his father taught him about Nevermore. 

He instinctively shrugged his shoulders and wrote that off as his imagination. As they shouldn’t have intellect? At least that’s what his dad says. Because he clearly remembers hearing that the only Grimms with slight intelligence were the very old and strong ones. 

Though, upon quick measuring of this new one. His brows furrowed and stood up a little. A surprised mix with confusion spread over his face. Huh? Isn't it bigger than the last one?!  

“Hah, Either way, I should be reading comics or playing games or at the very least be bored. Yet. Eh! I wouldn’t be bored. With ‘them’ there.” He complained, under his teeth while deeply sighing inwardly.    

While the hovering Nevermore kept shooting down feathers. A fiery flare of light hit it from the side, causing its attention to draw automatically to there. While Jaune was left to breathe peacefully for a moment, with the feather spear no longer directed towards him.        

As the Nevermore brought its head to the person that fired at it. 

Another person fired a round of ammunition on its back, leading to turning its head again, and the result repeated. With some targeting other areas of its huge body.  

Jaune may not be wrong when he saw the Nevermore looking irritated.   

Because the repeated assault from different sides of its body made it seem a little more aggressive. As it started showering feathers from every side it was hit from—without stopping to rest.        

In the meantime, having been left to breathe peacefully without having to dodge those arrows like feathers. He couldn't help but pay attention to those huntsman's weapons being held by the others.  

Yet again, it sparked a tint of envy from him. While he’s left with only to dodge those feather spears. Meanwhile, they can counter by shooting the Nevermore’s.       

Though, he believed he wasn’t helpless against a Nevermore. However, it can’t be say the same for this one. Because something is seriously off with this one?

“You look exhausted.” 

“Hm~?”A male voice sounded nearby, prompting him to glance over. Upon gazing over he saw Ren, with his black hair dancing along the wind. His green Chinese attire, clean, spotless with no tears.    

Steading tall, he looks relaxed from the outside but inside he’s still on guard. Despite Nevermore's attention currently focused on the others.        

Without speaking, Jaune regarded him for a short second then responded to his earlier words. “A little. You?” He took a half-delay light nod.               

Come to think of it, he hadn’t heard much from this childhood friend of Nora, well—not much from him but alot from Nora. Upon more thought, he almost wanted to say his gratitude towards him. 

Mostly from the fact that his presence alone made Nora less chatty, though, with others around, she was already toning down. But a boost from him was much appreciated.   

“This Nevermore is quite hard to deal with.” Said Ren while he gazed at it. 

“Mm… well unlike the last one this one doesn't swoop down and try to head-butt people. Eh-wait not that I think about it. What’s up with that? That’s not the usual style of a Nevermore? Hah, whatever, maybe it learned not to do that from the one lying over there? And here I heard they have no intelligence, were we wrong?”        

Ren quietly responded to him after a little delay. Uncertain about it. “It could be.”        

Jaune sighs after hearing his response. But looking thoughtful immediately as thought came to him out of the blue.    

“hmm…heh, now that I think about it. If you were to help me I could try poking its eyes out. Maybe then it wouldn’t be so much of a headache.” 

Gazing at Jaune seemingly pondering his sudden ideas. “Mm, we can try.” 

Jaune measured his expression and said with a slight grin. “Heh, you could have just said it was a stupid thought. Furthermore, disassemble its eyes—I’m not sure if that would help much.” 

Ren shook his head gently and said “disassembling the eyes may help. Moreover, since you suggested it. You must have a plan to get to it without being put in a dangerous situation. I feel you’re not the kind to be like Nora~”  

Hearing Nora name being mentioned, one of his brow raised. He muttered her name silently, “Nora? Hm…” a blink of an eye past, as he landed his gaze on her.      

At this time, Nora was using her grenade revolver launcher to shoot at the Nevermore. Thinking about her, he remembers her action of attacking the Nevermore head on without thinking first. 

But she and Yang did damage, so he didn’t think much about it.     

Yang… Sweeping over everyone's face with fast speed. He stop at Yang. Earlier, although she had not directly said it—he can tell she wanted to stay by his side and guard him the same way as Pyrrha.  

But he kindly directed her to not. And opted for her to focus on Nevermore. After all, there is no way he would want something like Pyrrha to happen again.        

A few seconds pass by in the blink of an eye. 

“We should go help.”

“Mm-hmm.” Jaune nodded. 

Ren bolted, engaging the Nevermore once again after their short conversation. Jaune tagged along behind, although he had a plan in mind about stebbing the Nevermore eyes. That plan required an opportunity, and he wasn’t certain if this unusual smart Nevermore would give him that.      

But he still aims to do it. For some reason he just wants to.      

Ruby leapt high—but with the additional boost of her Semblance, made her go even higher and seemingly made her look like a bullet that had been shot upward. Aiding her in her leap, she shot meters of meters up, bridging the gap between her and the Nevermore in mere seconds. 

At the same time, the Nevermore hastily reacted, and locked its glowing red with that small, yet, extremely fast figure.  

Crying out harshly, the Nevermore swiftly hurtled feathers towards the small figure. Alas, Ruby twirls her giant red scythe to the side and releases two consecutive shots. Steering her away to safety.   

Having avoided it, Ruby heaved a relief breather while still in the air. “Phew! Almost thought I'd be hit there.”  

Unfortunately her relief was too soon. Upon seeing that smell figure escape, the Nevermore wasted no time to take advantage of this moment. Hastily lunging towards Ruby without regard for the other assault on its body. 

During the whole time it faces off against these humans. The Nevermore have been very careful to not engage the Huntsman in dangerous ground, such as flying lower or swooping down. 

However, this does not mean it wasn’t injured, no, as a matter of fact the damage from being hit by those huntsman weapons had definitely done numbers on it.       

Right now, all over its body, blood and burns were visible in a lot of areas. Furthermore, every time it finished firing a round of feathers. The humans began attacking it simultaneously, causing the injuries on its body to continue growing.       

However, instead of becoming more cautious, it became more aggressive. Ready to take any opportunity when opened.       

Lunging forward with its huge body, the distance separating it and Ruby weren't that far. So shortly it got near Ruby. 

Once it was near, not wasting a single moment, it pried open its beak and attempted to swallow her. 

At this moment, Ruby squeaks, frightened by this. “Ahhh!!” She panicked. And hastily fired ammunition at the Nevermore big maw, as this was the only thing she could think to do right now. 

As she continues shooting with whatever little time she has left. 

The Nevermore. With great tenacity and persistence. Although, she may have done damage to it internally as each of her fired bullets hurtled inside the large if maw.   

Unfortunately, The Nevermore cares little about those damages. As it intends on swallowing her—and this causes Ruby to feel a deadly chill to crept over. The possibility of her fate was imaginable in her mind.  

Swallowed by a Nevermore! Her dream and everything else will be gone, just that. Ruby couldn’t accept this outcome.     

However, in that critical moment, a white streak appeared just in the nick of time.    

Then immediately, glowing white glyph appeared from out of nowhere a couple of meters away. While one appeared a few inches down below the feet of the originally white streak. 

Upon the moment when the white glyph fully materialized, the person, holding her by the arms, stepped on it and immediately became like a flash of white light, carrying her away.  

Afterward, that person repeatedly steps on every white glyph that emerges. 

Because of that, the distance between them and the Nevermore kept widening. In which the Nevermore can watch only in anger as its prey gets away. 

However, angry as it may be… the other human wouldn’t stop blasting at it.

So without further ado, it shifted its attention to the other and hurtled feathers down. At this point, Nevermore should be wondering about how much longer it can keep up with this. The feathers on its wings aren’t endless…  

Meanwhile, Ruby and the person landed on the ground. 

Having been saved, Ruby wanted to thank her, “Weiss, thanks for saved! Hah!” Gasping, Ruby continues. “Thought I was done for~” 

“Ha… Are you an idiot?! Did you not think before you act! You know you have died, have I not rescued you in time!What were you thinking when lunging headlong into it?!” 

The one to save Ruby was none other than Weiss. 

After being saved by her when plunging down. Although Weiss may dislike admitting it, inwardly she was grateful. Though by the look of it, not grateful enough to see Ruby in a new light. But grateful enough to not want her recklessness to be the end of her… 

Though, not like she wanted that from the beginning. Despite detesting her childishness.    

Ruby gasps and shrieks her head back, stammering as she stumbles back a little. “G-gah! That I-I was planning to ah, ah…” before she could say any further. Weiss glared, prompting her to shut her mouth.

 

“Humph. Planned? Was the plan included being devoured by a Nevermore. Or was there even a plan from the start.” Said Weiss, her words stern and contain no hint of joking.   

In all honesty, Ruby felt she couldn't refute the words of Weiss. Because her plan only included charging right ahead and hoping she’d somehow be able to cleave off the head of the Nevermore. 

But that wasn’t much of a plan, of course, if it can be called one.      

Meanwhile, as Weiss continued nailing words that Ruby couldn’t refute. 

Jaune, steading with Crocea Mors in hand. Bounded to the side, as a huge jet-black feathers missed him by a hair-length. Then that feather was followed by another one.  

Prompting him to swiftly duck his head. Successfully avoided it, as it hurtled overhead and stabbed deep into the ground. Kicking off a small cloud of dust that reaches his knees.    

“Phew. Hmm?” 

He swims his blue eyes across and fixes them on Weiss and Ruby. 

Seeing them, he paused momentarily before inwardly saying, come on girls! Could this not wait? Although he thought it'd be right for Ruby to be scolded for her reckless behavior. 

However, it should have been delayed. Instead of doing it while in the midst of a battle.   

Furthermore, at this point, he’d slightly begun to feel that the battle with the Nevermore will nevermore be over. As his mind was distracted slightly by Weiss and Ruby.

The Nevermore came hovering closer to his head, as its shadow blocked off sunlight. Then without giving Jaune to even sigh, it shot down loads of feather spears.  

As for Jaune, he wasted no time in dodging these large and deadly feathers. Damn. Just how many feathers can you spring out with those bird wings of yours! Endless?

   

“Jaune!” Pyrrha worried cries drill into his ears. 

Hearing her, Jaune heaved inwardly and gestured for her to take this chance to attack while he maneuvers his body to avoid these pointy sharp feathers. At the same time, having received his gesture. 

Pyrrha did as he instructed, but was still worried about him. 

However, since he wants her to deal blows to it. She was gonna give it her all, furthermore after seeing him be continuously put in danger. This Nevermore in her heart was possibly the most dislikeable Grimms in her eyes.  

Moving one foot to the back while the other in the front. Pyrrha bent her slender body a little, and drew her javelin back. 

With a deep breath, she hurled the javelin with all the strength she could muster, sending it hurtling toward the forehead of Nevermore. At the same time, simultaneously Nora and Yang came charging in from the opposite direction.  

Wanting to strike at the Nevermore as well. 

However, they weren't the only two, Blake was behind them, following as she prepared to launch her own assault with the two black swords brandishing and seemingly releasing a gleam of deadly glint.     

At a swift and air-piercing speed. 

Pyrrha's sharp javelin whistled through the air powerfully—lunging at the Nevermore with a deathly feel. And from the look of it, the Nevermore can seemingly feel it. 

Directly realizing that it should avoid that dangerous hurtling javelin.       

Feeling the pressure from the javelin. Nevermore lower its humongous black wings, flapping and aiming to fly higher in order to avoid getting hit. 

Unfortunately, the three from behind lunged forward. How could they let this opportunity slip, the battle was hard and exhausting.

Whatever opportunity they get, they’re prepared to take full advantage of it. 

“Hahaha, this time I’ll finally do solid damage on you!” Her laughter rang loud and cheerful. Despite the difficulty in fighting this new Nevermore, Nora remains cheerful and gleaming with sparkles.    

On the other hand, this can’t be said the same for Yang. “Hah. I have to give it to you, you're far tougher and stronger than the last one. But that just means it’ll be all the more worth it to beat you.” 

Yang may come off as cheerful, but deep down, she wasn’t!

Why? Because her little sister almost got eaten. However, there is also another reason—the sight of Jaune being in a dangerous situation made her feel extremely worked-up for some reason. That’s why at this point, Yang really can’t wait to pummel this Grimm to the ground.  

Blake, following behind, likewise wanted to end this already.   

But she couldn’t help finding it odd that there was a Nevermore this strong. Not that a Nevermore wasn’t strong from the beginning, but it shouldn’t be to this extent.   

Looking at it from up close and far away.    

This Nevermore resembles a normal Nevermore, albeit on a bigger size, though not by much.     

But, the point is that it was too strong, more resilient, faster, and smarter for some unknown reason. This thought actually perfectly aligned with Jaune’s thinking. Not to mention the unusual intelligence, this Nevermore was simply too strong for this species of Grimms… 

… 

Far away, in the cliff where Jaune and the others were previously launched off from. 

A middle aged woman and men were standing there, directly near the steep cliff. The wind whistled and swept past them occasionally.      

Among the two, one was sipping a coffee while the other observed Jaune and the other situation through a high-tech hand size screen. 

Immediately, the female said with worry. “There is no record of a Nevermore this strong! Is it perhaps a new Grimm species that resembles a Nevermore.” She darted her beautiful complexion to the male. “What do you think, Ozpin?”   

The male, likewise known as headmaster or gose by Ozpin, looks thoughtful for a moment.  

“It is quite curious… hm, wonder if this has something to do with this?”

“You mean, ‘her?’” GoodWitch inquired. 

Taking a slow sip, Ozpin nodded. “Yes~” 

Upon hearing him, GoodWitch slowly averted her attention back to the screen. Looking at the screen in her hand, she said wryly. “Should we send help for them?” Ozpin only glances at the screen for a moment, then gazes quietly at the big emerald forest. 

“Let them take care of it. Although it seems to be stronger than usual—they seem to be able to handle it. Heh, quite a good newcomer this year…” 

6