First day of West Field Academy
184 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One more task the years of relentless dedication pave the way for the realization of a lifelong goal. Every moment, every sacrifice, and every ounce of effort converge toward this defining achievement "Let me achieve this"...

 

3 years ago

Seong-Min leaving the orphanage for the first time was a pivotal moment in his life, a blend of excitement and trepidation. Boarding the train alone, Seong couldn't help but reflect on his orphanage—wondering if they felt relief with one less mouth to feed or sadness at his departure. The journey would conclude in a mere 20 minutes as he headed towards his destination, the West Field Academy.

After disembarking from the train, Seong made his way to the bus stop outside the station, where a distinctive black bus with gold outlines awaited. The bus driver, an elderly man with gray hair and a frail frame, held a sign that read "West Field Academy." Approaching him, Seong inquired, "Hello mister can students board this bus to West Field Academy?" In a courteous tone, the old man responded, "Certainly, but you'll need to provide proof of identification as a West Field Academy student." Seong promptly presented the email from the academy he received, and he granted Seong access to the bus.

As more individuals gathered, the bus commenced its journey towards West Field Academy.

After 30 minutes, the bus entered the city—a metropolis far more technologically advanced than his hometown. Skyscrapers dominated the skyline, a novel sight for Seong. As Seong traversed through the towering structures, he eventually arrived at a grand gate. Upon its opening, Seong beheld six imposing black buildings, each boasting a complete tint on the exterior, standing at about eight floors. They encircled a larger structure—a 14-floor edifice with a distinctive pyramid roof that piqued Seong curiosity. "I wonder why they designed it like that," Seong murmured to himself, struck by the uniqueness of this place.

Upon reaching the bus stop, everyone disembarked, leaving their luggage behind. Intrigued by the unusual sight, Seong approached the elderly man for an explanation. "Hello, sir. I was wondering why everyone is not taking their luggage with them," Seong inquired. The elderly man, visibly surprised by the question, still offered an explanation, "All students should first attend the assembly hall and then take their luggage to their dormitory. Shouldn't you know this? Most schools around here have a similar procedure." "I didn't go to school; I self-taught myself," Seong-Min revealed, further surprising the elder. Pondering Seong-Min's unconventional path to the academy, he refrained from probing further and simply advised, "You should get to the assembly hall before you're late."

Seong joined the procession of students making their way to the assembly hall, located on the first floor of the central skyscraper. The hall exuded an air of grandeur, with marble walls, a spacious interior, and a colossal podium crafted from Teakwood, capable of accommodating around 30 people. The floor beneath was adorned with a luxurious velvet carpet, prompting Seong-Min to ponder the prospect of staying in such high-class surroundings.

Inside, the students were organized into three distinct groups: freshmen, sophomores, and seniors. The division hinted at the academy's structured approach to education.

As the students settled, an imposing figure took the stage—an elderly foreign woman with blonde, flowing hair. Her presence commanded attention, and as she began her speech, the room fell silent.

"Welcome to West Field Academy Freshmen," she declared, her voice carrying authority. "Ranked 8th in Korea, this prestigious institution holds its students to the highest standards, and I am the principal of this academy my name is Camila Alwine, Students you can call me Mrs Camila. As you may already know, we have a set of rules that each and every student must adhere to."

She went on to outline the core regulations, emphasizing the importance of carrying student ID cards at all times. A strong warning accompanied the rule: without an ID card, students would find themselves barred from school premises, facing consequences for their negligence.

"The second rule demands academic excellence," she continued. "Every student must attain 400 points every term for the freshmen. This standard will increase in the subsequent years of your academic journey." Seong found himself perplexed, not yet grasping the intricacies of the school's system. Nevertheless, he resolved to learn more about it as he progressed, recognizing that understanding would come with time and experience.

Clasping onto the podium, she concluded, "These are the crucial regulations you must uphold. Additional guidelines can be found on the academy app, which should be on every student's phone. I trust each of you can meet and exceed the expectations of West Field Academy. Welcome, and may your time here be both challenging and rewarding."

Following the conclusion of the principal's speech, the assembly hall emptied as sophomores and seniors made their way out. Soon after, the stage welcomed two teachers to the podium. One was a young woman with black hair, her face revealing an expressionless demeanor. Standing alongside her was a man in his sixties, characterized by his gray hair and a warm, pleasant smile. Together, the man began addressing the incoming freshmen.

"Hello, freshmen! I'm William Harper, your freshman team leader, and alongside me is Hwa Young," William introduced. The revelation that Hwa Young, who appeared quite youthful, was a team leader was surprising, given the coveted nature of the position. "We'll be your team leaders for your three years here, so no worries about changing leadership every year."

Miss Hwa Young added, "Your student body will be divided into two groups, one under my guidance and the other under Mister William's. However, all excursions will be joint, and you can approach either of us regardless of your assigned team."

A curious student raised her hand and inquired about the significance of these groups. Mister William addressed the question, stating, "These groups will determine participation in the national stellar competition. The group with the higher points will earn the opportunity, and the top 5 students within that group will be selected to represent us in the competition."

The revelation sparked excitement among many students, as the prospect of participating in such a prestigious competition fueled their enthusiasm.

Miss Hwa Young proceeded, "Let's start picking members, Mister William." With a nod, she selected an ID card from the table in front of her. "Eun-Jeong, come to the front," she called, and a girl emerged – light-skinned with straight brown hair, slightly short, exuding an undeniable cuteness. However, beneath the adorable exterior, she seemed visibly shy and nervous, adding a layer of vulnerability to her demeanor. She received her ID card and stood behind Miss Hwa Young. The process continued, with Mister William picking an ID card and then repeated. However, when Jin Ae's name was called, she walked forward with lustrous black hair adorned a stunning face, radiating exceptional beauty. Yet, beneath the captivating exterior, she carried a cold and enigmatic demeanor. A murmur swept through the students. "Isn't she from the Che family?" one student questioned. Another added, "I wonder what she's doing here; shouldn't she be in a better academy? Maybe she's a failure." Seong found this judgment disheartening. Though Seong didn't know Jin Ae personally, witnessing baseless assumptions and criticisms left him feeling helpless and frustrated. There was an unfortunate realization that he couldn't alter the perceptions of those around him.

As the selections progressed, Miss Hwa Young eventually called, "Seong-Min, come to the front." Seong walked calmly, showing little expression as he received his ID card from Miss Hwa Young. After 15 minutes, everyone had been assigned to either of the groups.

As the assembly concluded, the two groups made their way to the buses to collect their luggage before heading towards different outer skyscrapers. Offering guidance to her group, Hwa Young explained, "Your dorms and a cafeteria are situated on the first and second floors. The third floor boasts a gym, accessible to everyone in this group. Lectures will be held on the fourth floor, and the fifth floor serves as a study area. The sixth floor is dedicated to tasks, events, and excursions. The teacher's room, located on the seventh floor, is where you can find me and your lecturers. It's crucial to note that the eighth floor is strictly off-limits to students; any trespassers will face immediate expulsion and a substantial fine."

Continuing, she added, "Today, you have no classes. Starting tomorrow, classes will commence at 7:00 am. Check your academy app for your schedule. Lastly, we need to pick a group name. Normally, I would choose, but this year, I'll let the students decide. Send your suggestions on the academy app."

"I would also like to warn you against bringing anyone into the building who isn't part of the group; if you do, you will be heavily punished. That is all I have to say; you may leave now," Hwa Young concluded her guidance.

Seong's keen observations hinted at the significance of the school app and sparked curiosity about the mysterious nature of the eighth floor in the skyscraper. However, the fear of expulsion deterred him from exploring further, so he decided to leave that curiosity aside for the time being.

Seong, feeling exhausted from all the traveling, contemplated asking Miss Hwa Young questions later. With that in mind, he began walking towards his dorm. Suddenly, a loud scream pierced the air, emanating from the direction of his designated living quarters. The unexpected sound halted Seong in his tracks, prompting a mix of concern and intrigue to wash over him.

4