Icarus — Kissed by the Sun
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sea and the sky matched perfectly that morning. I looked out across the blue expanse, feeling your warmth on my bare skin. The soft grass squished under my feet and I wiggled my toes, relishing the sensation. Wind from the sea whipped past me, carrying with it the scent of salt. I looked up at you and smiled. It had been too long since I had seen your shining face.

You were beautiful that morning, burning bright in the clear sky. No one could dare ignore your presence; you alone ruled over the heavens. No clouds obscured your visage and no mountains or hills stood before you. For a moment, I lost myself in your light, reveling in the heat that radiated across my entire being.

I smiled and began to run to the edge of the cliff. As I reached the crest, I leapt forward and began to fall, plummeting to the crystal blue below. Just before impact, I spread my wings and caught the air, skimming across the surface of the waters. I swooped up and began flapping my arms, climbing higher into the air.

The thrill of my father’s success held my heart aloft and I laughed in ecstasy. I was more than man now, I realized. I was like the gods.

I looked up and saw you once more, desire burning in my heart. My giddy mind reasoned with itself, the rational and irrational parts fighting to convince one side that the other was wrong. But my longing to meet you overpowered my sense of self-preservation. I began to climb higher, rising to feel your touch.

Your warmth grew into a steady heat, covering my body in comfort. I bathed in the golden glow of your light, smiling as the wind blew past me. But it was not enough. I lifted my face to you, closing my eyes and feeling your light. The heat was intoxicating; your light, exhilarating. For years, only Apollo could reach you - but why not I?

Yet as I climbed, your heat began to burn. I glanced at my wingtips and saw flames beginning to dance along my feathers. The yellow wax that held me together softened and dripped down my arms, leaving a burning trail across my skin. I looked up at you, terror rising in my throat.

My feathers began to fall off and float down to the water. My ascent slowed and I began to fall, too, plummeting to the blue. I looked to my wings; they were all afire. Tendrils of flame licked across my skin, burning the flesh. I screamed as the fire began to cover me.

Before I hit the water, I had a moment of clarity. You will have scars, an inner voice said.

No, scars mean tragedy. This was beautiful — a romance.

You will be branded.

I laughed. This was not forced on me; I welcomed this.

What then, Icarus?

A tattoo — to remind me of the time I kissed the sun.

0