Chapter 7: Queen of hearts.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The motorcycle driven by Alicia, travels along the dirt road between the fields of neatly trimmed green foliage, traversed by calves grazing quietly, and its peace is perpetrated by the roar of the iron steed, as it leaves behind a trail of dust.

Drake has managed to attach himself to the grips on the back of the seat, so long as he does not have to hug his companion's waist, out of his masculine pride of not wanting to look even more frightened, though in other situations he would gladly accept caressing the young woman's wide hips, and find himself in the predicament of running his hands up her torso to her breasts, or sliding down to dare to caress her thighs.

The guardian's impure thoughts nearly throw him off balance, as the bike swerves to the left around a bend. Which prompts the young crimson to give a high-pitched whine of fright, as he clings more firmly to the handgrips.

As a result, it elicits a faint mocking laugh from Alice, who keeps her eyes on the road, and soon catches sight of the wooden corral, and in front of it a path that turns right in a straight line, until it reaches the tall iron gates; Behind them is a vast garden adorned by trees with animal figures, and in the background a house made of reddish bricks with a tile roof, in which a smoking chimney tower stands out; at the bottom a wooden porch can be seen.

The guardians park the motorcycle in front of the gate, which they open wide as they enter together into the garden made up of a grove of trees, with canopies cut in the shape of animals, so much so that they seem capable of coming to life at any moment.

Upon entering the house, the two guardians encounter the humble dwelling. A dark green floor divided into squares of dust swept by brooms, and dustpans are moved by invisible forces autonomously, cleaning the dirt from the house. The same is the case with the mops and buckets inside the foyer, which is composed of a white table in the form of a circle in the center with several chairs around it.

The walls are adorned by shelves filled with jars of strange concoctions and bones of various creatures. On the right side is a red leather armchair, with matching colored velvet carpet in front, right next to the lit fireplace from which the flames burn faintly, in a burning lisp. Behind the armchair are two staircases, one leading to the upper floor, while the other descends.

On the left side of the foyer is the kitchen where the stove, sink and refrigerator are located. Suddenly the sound of footsteps is heard ascending the stairs leading to the basement, and a woman who appears to be in her thirties with a slim build, appears.

She is dressed in a wine-colored dress with wide sleeves that hang down her arms. She wears an emerald-colored brooch at her neck. The skirt reaches her ankles, and as footwear she wears matching boots. She is of slender build. Her black hair is tied up in a ball, tied with a barrette. Her skin is pale to the point of ghostly, with a well-groomed build; her lips are large and full. The eyes are slanted hazel eyes adorned by elegant glasses, giving an intellectual bearing. She has the features of a young woman on the verge of maturity.

“Drake, dear... Did you finish the work in the field? “The woman greets them in pleasant kindness, as warm as the crackling flames in the fireplace. Her eyes light up as she notices Alice's presence”. Oh, I see you brought your friend!

“It's a sight for sore eyes to see you again, Miss Blair! “Alice curtsied politely, an act taken well by the sorceress.

When Drake and Lance arrived to the capital, their first objective was to look for a farm where they could stay, and get some extra money by cattle raising, since life is expensive, not being enough what they earn by killing monsters, they needed a place to return to, not liking the nomadic life that some of the guardian’s lead.

In their search they came across the farm La Maiden, owned by an independent sorceress named Anabel Blair. A middle-aged woman, who, once they entered her life, set off on a relationship balanced on the borders of a very strict boss, fussy about money, who sentences to death anyone who is late with a payment, and a strange maiden aunt. This action aroused more distance among the neighbors, since the patroness of the estate is a magic user, despite having a license, many continue to avoid her.

“The pleasure is all mine, Alicia.... “Anabel cuts herself short, wrinkling her face into a grimace of displeasure, and turns her attention to Drake”. To the traveler! Drake go take a bath, please. You stink of shit and you're next to a lady, that way you'll never get a wife! And come back as soon as the cock crows, I'm going to serve you something to eat... you're very skinny, it's obvious that you haven't eaten anything good in a long time.

Anabel's authority is absolute, as Drake stands firm as a soldier, and nods affirmatively. The crimson warrior rushes up the stairs, leaving both women alone. Anabel lifts her shoulders without erasing her animated expression, suddenly shifting her attention to the girl.

“What did you eat today? “Asks Anabel casually.

“Emh... I had some sweet rolls and coffee.

“That's not food! “She exclaims forcefully, in maternal authority”. You're going to starve to death at this rate, girl... I'll give you something nice to eat, I made you some steaks.

Not waiting for an answer, Anabel goes into the kitchen; after half an hour Drake comes back down to the living room, discovering the table set with three plates of steaks dipped in gravy, and potato salads accompanied with celery and carrots, next to a glass of water. Anabel and Alice have already started eating, so when they see him, they invite him to take a seat.

They chat pleasantly about the latest contracts of the young people, and experiences of the farm, so once the meal is finished; the lady of the house gets up from the table, walks to the refrigerator, from which she takes out a container similar to those used to transport milk.

“Please give this to Lance, he got locked in the barn, and he asked me to keep this chemical cooling for an hour, be very careful. I don't want them to blow up the barn again, they're still paying me for the last wreck they did. “The sorceress places the frozen metallic gray canister still covered with frost on the table, she also rushes back to the kitchen to bring a plate of food in a dish wrapped with napkins”. That fool must have forgotten to eat, take him away and make sure he eats it all.

“Thanks, boss... we'll be glad to help you, and I'll make sure Lance doesn't wreck anything. “Drake says, smiling pleasantly. As he holds the plate in his hands, red tentacles emerge from his palms, covering the food and wrapping it in a crimson lunch box.

“I can't even imagine how practical your skills turn out to be. “Alice adds, fascinated by Drake's power of creation.

“It's a matter of knowledge, I've had to read up on a lot of things to replicate them. “Says Drake, boasting”. You're not the only one who can become a walking arsenal, Alice.

“Well, let's move on, it's time to talk about the subject of the new contract”. Says Alice as she approaches the door, and then adds”. Thank you very much for the food, it was delicious.

The two guards leave the house heading for the gate, carrying the food in the lunch box and the can, while they are observed from a distance by Anabel standing in the middle of the porch.

“Stubborn and cocky...you're exactly like your father, Drake..... Will you make his same mistakes? “Thinks Anabel, with deep bitterness building up in her chest, as her face is caressed by the wind of nostalgia.

Again the guardian duo ride the dirt road on the motorcycle, amidst the greenish forage and barbed wire fences that mark the divisions of The maiden.

Before long, they see a huge brown wooden barn in the distance, next to a metal-bladed windmill, slowly turning in a high-pitched whirr. As the two guards get off the motorcycle, Drake's attention is stolen as he notices the horses grazing nearby.

“He let the horses out into the paddock, he must be doing something delicate.... “Drake mutters. He carries the metal can in one hand and the lunch box with food in the other.

“By the way, what is Lance supposed to be doing? “Asks Alice as she removes her helmet and puts it in her pocket size.

“He's trying to make accelerated growth hormones, for his pigs; based on magic potions or something. “Drake explains”. Lance can't trade in magic legally as he doesn't have a license, he can't buy certain components either unless it's smuggled in and those are expensive, so he has an agreement with Anabel. She sells her shit in his name, like giving him materials with her license, for a commission. So Lance has been working like crazy, locking himself in the barn every time we're here, he's taken it over as his research lab.

“It's wizard stuff.... “Alice adds sharply”. It's not something that concerns people like us very much.

“Well, that's true, but it doesn't stop worrying me. “Insists Drake, a shiver rising in his neck, harboring a bad feeling.

“I think you worry too much. Lance can be anything you want him to be; a lunatic, a weirdo with little or no filter for speech. “Alicia exclaims, tapping her elbow lightly on her companion's arm. And yet, he's a good asset to our group and knows about working prudence. What's the worst that can happen?

Drake deactivates the red armor as he opens one of the two gigantic barn doors. The smell of mineral salt and cattle feed permeates the air. The duo faces a long corridor, on either side of which are empty sheds with windows facing outward, illuminating the interior of the building.

At the end of the hallway, there is a wide chamber filled with sacks stacked in rectangular structures, and in the midst of these, there is a shadowy figure sitting on a chair in front of a table from which multiple test tubes can be seen, filled with liquids of different colors, accompanied by stacks of old books on the verge of collapsing next to amulets with mystical engravings.

Accompanying the hooded figure are two creatures with scaly green skin, dressed in old rags; they appear as horrible elders with cold features from beyond the grave, but of short stature, comparable to that of a small child. They have toad-like eyes, crooked and yellow teeth. These beings are known as goblins and act as familiars, assisting their master by passing him bottles and jars.

The hooded figure notices the presence of the visitors and nods to see them. Upon recognizing their identities, the stranger jumps to his feet and turns around. His attire is a black buttoned tunic, long-sleeved with matching gloves made of latex. The hood reveals a combination of a plague doctor mask with an oxygen mask: it features the characteristic crow”shaped mask with polarized black lenses, adding two filters to the sides of the beak.

“The traveler's arrival came early this year! “The hooded figure shouts, a mix of high spirits and cynicism”. Just look, not even a thousand spurned husbands or deceitful debts in races can prevent us from gathering again.

“Thanks for the reminder, Lance...”Drake pronounces bitterly, his eyes narrowed, still recovering from that bad experience.

“Lance! What the hell are you wearing? “Alicia asks, a gesture of strangeness and horror on her face”. That's terrifying! If you're seen on the street dressed like that, you'll end up in jail.

“The right clothes for the right job, miss. “Lance explains, his voice chirpy as he taps his chest lightly, a sign of power and confidence.

“Wait... if you're wearing that mask, does that mean. “Drake pauses for a second and exclaims”. Are you working with dangerous materials?!

Drake's rapid exclamation alerts Alicia. Both guardians step back and automatically assume an improvised defensive position. This action causes the masked man to burst into laughter.

“You should see how ridiculous you look right now! “Lance exclaims amidst laughter”. No! I'm not working with anything toxic, it's just personal preference... I see you brought me the chemical.

Lance stretches his arms forward, requesting the container. Drake and Alice exchange glances for a brief moment, and upon quelling the doubt, they hand the container to their companion, who, upon removing the lid, releases a white vapor along with a strong aroma, similar to paint. The masked man pours the white liquid into a metal pot full of a greenish brew, turning it blue. Once this act is done, he places the jug on a portable stove on the table and ignites a faint blue flame.

“All right! First operation accomplished. It's just a matter of waiting. With this, I'll fill my pockets until I weigh my weight in gold. “Says the guardian, licking his lips and rubbing his hands together anxiously.

“Are you sure about what you're doing? “Drake asks, hesitant and nervous, imagining the worst”case scenario.

“I've got everything under control, my brother! “Lance responds, with great confidence, gesturing to his goblins to make space.

“You'd better. I don't want any trouble. “Drake adds”. I've told you several times not to do very dangerous experiments.

“You can't stop science, my dear friend! “Lance expresses in great excitement”. There are so many things that can be created and discovered in this wonderful world; knowledge goes hand in hand with risk.

“And this wonderful world costs money. “Alice says sarcastically”. If due to a miscalculation, you end up destroying or leaving your work areas inevitable... which aren't yours, you'll end up in debt.

“Well, I have to admit I've made some mistakes. “Lance becomes solemn for a moment, scratching his head, but instantly regains his frivolous air”. But mistakes are how we learn! Risk brings rewards when you succeed. I'll make my pigs so fat they'll look like cows. You'll beg me for my knowledge one day, Drake!

“Well, that's a long way off. The most impressive thing you've done is make a pig grow two heads, and the poor thing dropped dead the next day. “Drake remarks, arms crossed, harboring doubt”. I don't want Anabel to end up tired of us and kicking us out... it's going to be impossible for anyone else to give us a home, given our conditions.

“You know... I've always wondered something... “Alice says, a mischievous glint in her eyes”. From The dark fortress, you spent almost all your time together, now you live and work on a farm together... I don't know, it seems a little odd to me.

The two guardians look at each other wide. “Eyed. Drake puts on a look of disgust, although Lance wears a mask doesn't mean he didn't make the same grimace.

“Wait! Don't jump to those completely out-of-place conclusions. “Drake intervenes with raised hands. Despite his straight and firm demeanor, he is someone who can feel insecure, even with the slightest doubt”. I mean, everyone can love in their own way... but definitely not us.

“Don't confuse male friendship with something like that. “Lance expresses his displeasure bluntly.

“Oh, are you both insecure about your masculinity now? “Alicia puts her hands on her hips, widening her mischievous smile”. Maybe that's why you're frequent customers at brothels.

“A man's diversions are sacred! “Drake quickly excuses himself, almost biting his tongue. “If we risk our lives killing monsters, we have the right to spend it however we want.

“If anyone here is insecure, it's Drake! “Lance claims boldly”. I barely convinced him to join me for a threesome once, and at the last moment, the bastard chickened out, acting like a wimp by saying he would be...

“I've told you not to bring that up again! “Drake shouts, scandalized with flushed cheeks.

“The prostitute was gorgeous and only serviced nobility! “Lance excuses himself”. She was a beast girl with fox-like features and charged the price of a heavy calf. Where the hell were we going to find something like that? For that price, she had to be wild. We would have handled it between the two of us, but the boy gets scared off by the presence of another man... you know I never take my clothes off.

“That last part shouldn't even be known! “Drake slaps his face, mortified.

“Ha, ha, ha! You guys never change! You're a couple of weirdos. “Alicia holds her stomach as she bursts into laughter.

“The word 'weird' lost its meaning in my life a long time ago. “Drake drags out the words, holding back a scream in his throat, feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders”. Well, enough of this nonsense! You were going to tell us about a major league contract, right? “ He asks Alice”. Well... the three of us are here, you can't change the subject again.

Upon the demand of the crimson warrior, all laughter dies in that instant. The young woman's countenance turns serious, her face darkening; a bad omen settles in the guts of the two male guardians, who remain expectant of what is about to happen. Alicia takes a moment to let out a brief sigh, in an effort to maintain calm.

“This could be one of the most difficult missions we've ever had... “Alicia resumes, her voice carrying a glint of burning resolve, steeling herself against the magnitude of the violence they are about to confront. “It came directly from the higher-ups. They've chosen the six of us to form an elite guardian team, to partake in this campaign.

“The six? “The dark guardian asks with a raised eyebrow, surprised. Moved by curiosity, he adds”. It's very rare for multiple guardians to unite for a single contract; usually, up to 3 guardians are hired together. Who can afford a team of six guardians?

“A king... “Drake murmurs, serious in tone”. The better question would be... what kind of hell requires the assistance of six guardians?

“Exactly. “The guardian affirms, intertwining her hands with an ironclad resolve and returning her attention to the Monolith of Munraimund”. It's a mission of high difficulty, so they've selected us and three other members of the Steel Eagles to form an elite team. “She pulls out a suitcase overflowing with papers containing all the data about the dangerous contract and hands the documents to Lance.

“A demonic sect has aided inhuman slaves to rise up in arms, assaulting several concentration camps, seizing high-level weaponry. “Lance reads carefully the most important notes from the folder, in an analytical manner”. Apparently... they've taken parts of different territories that played an important role in coal and crystal mining. The latest news... is that these rebels besieged the baron's fortress and killed him.

“This is something big, I can't believe they've dragged us into this mess. “Drake emphasizes, shivering down his spine. Fighting a monster was one thing, but participating in a war was something entirely different”. Where are we supposed to go?

“The mining lands belong to the kingdom of Lazarus. “Alice replies, placing her finger on the phoenix symbol within the documents. She frowns upon having to mention the most gruesome part of the story”. We barely know anything about their leader; she's a witch whose race or origin is unknown, and we don't even know what she looks like physically. The Templar army has dubbed her 'the queen of hearts.' Since the baron's fall, entire villages have disappeared; farms have been abandoned, and there's been a disproportionate increase in monster plagues.

“It's only a matter of time before they march to the capital and commit a massacre... but that would just be the beginning. “Lance adds, understanding the importance of this contract that requires the presence of so many guardians at once”. It will be a terrible fight, which is why they're hiring us to join their troops; this doesn't violate the code since their creed isn't our enemy. If Lazarus falls, the other creeds will take advantage for a large”scale invasion, and millions could die.

Drake clenches his fists upon hearing the kingdom they would have to go to; a stabbing pain latches onto his head as he's attacked by stress. A wound still not completely healed, reopening upon hearing that kingdom again, a place he swore never to return to.

“Can't we refuse? “Drake struggles to keep his mind cool, failing miserably as he speaks in a tone that's on the edge of turning into a scream. Instantly regretting that his companions might ask questions about it.

“No... it's impossible... the higher-ups have imposed it on us, we have no other choice, “ Alicia declares, a gesture of pity detecting that rage in her companion. An instinct of concern ignites within her, and she proceeds to ask”. Is something wrong?

“No... I'm fine... “Drake sighs as he massages his temples, trying to alleviate the pain in his skull”. If there's no other option, we'll have to move forward...

Alicia is about to protest, however, Lance gestures for her not to try it, thus avoiding a conflict between the three; no matter any attempt to reject this contract, it was delivered as a direct order from the organization's higher-ups, so rejecting it could be seen as treason, and they would be judged as less than scum. Therefore, the guardian grits her teeth in frustration for not being able to do anything about what afflicts her crimson companion.

“We can't let those bastards cause a genocide. “Lance speaks again, his sense of duty swelling in his chest”. This is what guardians were created for; we have to fight... even if we have to face a witch.

Mentioning this mysterious entity, the guardians fall silent as a cold air runs through their bodies, as if it were the touch of death marking them as its next victims. Witches are not like wizards; these wielders of magic are not bound by rules or limitations; they are the pure power of dark magic. Defeating one of these beings requires careful strategy and a large number of powerful warriors.

“And why do they call her the queen of hearts? “Drake asks.

Alicia's face pales, shaking her head with a mournful expression. With some difficulty reflected in trembling words, she reveals the morbid fact:

“They've found bodies of Templar soldiers, with their chests open, and they all share something in common... none of them retained their hearts. According to the elves who managed to capture one, they were being extracted as tribute to their queen.

Out of nowhere, the room's temperature becomes hot, and the bubbling of the cauldron on the stove becomes violent to the point where the container starts to shake erratically, overflowing with waves of blue foam that splatter on the walls.

“Oh, damn it! Lance! What the hell did you do?! “Alicia shouts, startled, covering her face with her arms to avoid being drenched by the uncontrolled potion liquid.

“This shouldn't be happening! “The dark warrior shouts, hands on his head, overwhelmed by confusion and on the verge of being carried away by the frustration of another failure. An idea comes to his mind like an arrow.

“Did they shake the container? “He asks in a hoarse voice, with accusatory eyes.

Drake and Alice look at each other, eyes wide open, without saying a word. During the motorcycle ride, they ended up shaking the container. Shortly afterward, the back of the barn is filled with a thick muddy puddle mixing the supplement and the salts from the sacks. The three guardians, aided by the elves, spend hours cleaning up the mess, and when they finally manage to finish, upon stepping back outside, they realize that dusk has already set in. The guardian bids farewell to her friends, promising that they would depart in two weeks.

 

0