Chapter 3: Learning About The World
19 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they swam deeper and deeper into the deep sea, the surrounding gets darker even when the sun was shining on the surface. The temperature gets even colder and there are less and less sea creature around them. Sometimes, they would encounter a group of jellyfish that glows in the dark as they exchange communication between themselves. Sometimes, a shark or two would be seen swimming as they went foraging for food, which almost froze Noe in his track.

Thankfully, the sharks didn’t seem to be interested in two mermaids and ignored them. In fact, it looked like the sharks sped up their pace after encountering them. Noe ponders as he watches the fleeing back of those sharks.

There were times when Noe almost slipped his tongue . Especially when the curiosity gets the better of him. 

Of course, Noe, the big dunce, never realised that the mermaid beside him had already seen the stuffing within just a few minutes of getting along. This is probably the difference between someone who socialize a lot and someone who doesn’t at all. Even if the latter has a smart brain.

“By the way, Noe.” Dawn figured now would be a good time and a good chance to start popularizing about what the mermaid doesn't know. “How old are you?”

“Me? I’m 27 years old.”

Dawn: ( ^ ‿^)

Noe: (  = =) No, for real. I’m 27 years old.

Dawn: �(゚□゚*川  He’s just a baby!!!

Looking at the shocked pikachu face the other person has, Now had to ask. “How old are you?”

“I’m 108 years old and only considered as barely an adult.” Dawn said as he patted the baby mermaid's head.

Noe: �(゚□゚*川

“The mermaid live a very long life. The oldest recorded in our history would be more than 100 000 years old and counting. He is now the advisor for our King of the Sea.” Dawn said. “Our magic and special physique prolongs our life and could rival the dragons in strength and life.”

“There are dragons?”

“Yes. We have the Elf, who likes to live in seclusion in their home planet, the Dragons, who likes to go to war with the other Seven, Dwarfs, who’s technology can rival the humans, Humans themselves, who now can travel through the stars, us, the Mermaids, the Angels, that likes to be mysterious and the Demons, who hates humans.”

“The Seven races mostly don’t interact much but the humans...” he had to pause for a while to construct his words, so as not to make him sound too judgemental but Dawn finds that he really can’t word it any more nicely.

“Anyway, Demons always finds trouble with the humans. They just straight up hate them and don't care much about others. They do have a love hate relationship with the Angels. Dragons likes to pick a fight with any breathing living thing and currently, they just found out that there are other extraterrestrial being out of our solar system, so they're busy going there to trouble, those poor things. The Dwarves likes to compete with humans in their invention but because the technology they uses incorporated magic and tech, which is too different from the way how human built their technology, they tagged along with the Dragons to ‘learn’ and ‘exchange knowledge’ with those extraterrestrials.”

Dawn muttered. “Stealing while calling exchanging knowledge, is what I call it.”

He coughed to hide his embarrassment over accidentally saying his true thoughts and continued with the lesson. “The Elves are all introvert. They stay on their planet more and only comes out when they need to learn something or steal new plant discoveries to plant them back in their planet. Which is a nuisance for the economy because they like selling these rare plants, vegetables and fruits from planets that wants to sell it, just because they have ‘extra’.”

“The Angels are more mysterious. They have a job and they do it in silence. Protecting humans, helping them sometimes, recording the humans right and wrong and taking those humans life when it’s time.”

“Only for humans.” He remarked.

"While humans likes to trouble with us, the mermaids. Probably because our voice can do a lot of things, for example, can heal their mental disturbance, which has stump them for thousands of years now and only we can do something about it. So they have some obsession with us. They like to kidnap us at any opportune time they have, which is a menace.” Dawn rolled his eyes when he recalled how those humans would do anything to get them and even goes to war just for that reason.

Honestly, if those plundering idiots took the time to negotiate with them about this, the mermaids would have agreed to help them with their mental problems with stinky face but unfortunately, humans have gone too crazy to not even consider that proposal and proceed to make them, the mermaids, even more annoyed with these two legged landlubbers.

Noe, who heard the whispers irritation from Dawn who had changed his soft spoken voice to an almost high pitched screech, had to sigh at humans arrogance and suspicions. As an ex-human, he knows exactly how bad this is than Dawn had elaborated to him. When you’re not my race, you’re my enemy, they tend to be extreme.

But to think that there are Seven races in this world and are the magical creatures is truly amazing and also proves that he really is not in the timeline of his old world.

There's also the extraterrestrial creature who is currently being bothered by the dragons and dwarves

“The humans doesn’t use magic in their life, but they do have these mental ability that they can incorporated with science. But that is also the cause of their mental disturbance as it is easily damaged and have a hard time healing by themselves.”

“Demons and Angels have their own unique power. The Elf have the power of nature and have natural affinity with magic and nature. The Dwarves with their innovation and magic, and their unique ways of combining both. Dragons with their crazy strong physical and durability, and able to spit whatever fire with the bonus of magic unable to make a scratch on them and us, mermaids, who uses voice that are interweaved with magic and strong physique that can rival the Dragons. Except that Dragons can travel in the stars with just their forms while we can’t.” Dawn lifted a finger for that last sentence.

“And Dragons likes to pick a fight with every race using that physique since the olden times.” He remembers the records of dragons coming to fight the mermaids on time every time. So much so that they have named it as ‘Boil Those Dragons’ season. 

It was that frequent.

It’s still as frequent a few years ago, which means he had a taste of it, but since they’ve found new playmates, those dragons have been too busy and having too much fun to come and trouble the other six races.

Which made all of them heave a sigh of relief and lit a candle for those extraterrestrials and also hope that they can keep those dragons attention longer.

Noe rubbed his chin in deep thoughts. That means, they have known each others existence since the olden times. The dragons can travel in the vacuum, the demons and angels are linked with the humans but how do the dwarves, elf and mermaid communicate with humans?

“Magic.”

Noe snapped out of his thoughts. It seemed he had unconsciously spoke his doubts out loud rather than staying in his mind. The bad habit from being alone most of the time followed him here and will be the death of him sooner or later.

“The four races of the seven could use magic back in the old days.”

“Four?” wasn’t it supposed to be three?

Dawn smiled. “In the past, humans could use magic. It could even be said that some of them had gone down in history as they could rival the elves and mermaid.”

“But then, one day, they suddenly lost their ability to wield magic.”

Interested, Noe swam closer  to Dawn. “What happened?”

Dawn shook his head as he too doesn’t know why that happened. The whole human race suddenly lost their magic that one day and after that, they could no longer travel across the world nor could they see the magical creatures again. Not even the dragons who were still wrecking a havoc on human planet.

It was recorded in history, no matter what race walks in front of human, they will not be seen, heard, not felt.

They watched as human fell as many of their own inventions were unable to be operated, not could they defend their city when calamities befell.

Their lifespan was cut short. From thousands of years to hundreds and lastly, decades.

Humans recorded that age as the Age of Dust. For everything they had, everything they had loved, everything the had known and just everything, was turned into nothing like a speck of dust blown by the wind through their fingers. Out of desperation and hope for the future, they buried the knowledge of anything magical as a fairytale, so that their descendants would never have to feel the lost, fear and insanity they had felt.

So the humans now, that have travelled the stars have never known that the Seven Race were once old friends. And are ecstatic when they found the magical creatures that were only told in fairy tales.

The other races that had to watch their fall and rises didn’t say anything about it. Because they don’t know how to tell these pitiful race that they had known each other a long time ago. But, what would that yield? Nothing but a disaster. They know how humans are, too well that they will keep this history forever in silence.

Besides, the humans have a new ability. Although it is full of loopholes.

Dawn explained all this to the mermaid who had starry eyes as he listened to the history that was known only to the magical creatures and had no resentment of how humans lost magic while they still retain them.

It seems, this mermaid is not from our universe? Dawn thought silently.

“As it is, we still don’t know why they lost it all. No, wait.” He paused as he remembered something. “Maybe the Demons and Angels know, because they have never left the humans side. I remember there was speculations about this. They also didn’t seem as surprised as the other races when the calamity befalls.

Even before all this, these two races are invisible to the humans but their existence were not a secret to them since us other magical creature can see demons and angels. Humans still can’t see them now though, despite their new ability.” Dawn shrugged. There’s really nothing that can be done about this.

“Anyway, after having this new ability. Although it is full of dangers, it also prolongs humans lifespan. The stronger they’re, the longer they live. That’s why they never thought of abandoning this ability and why they are still crazy for us mermaid.” He really had to sigh on how stubborn these humans are.

Just as he was beginning to continue again, the surrounding sea almost began to turn bright. Dawn looked ahead and smiled. He turns toward Noe and had to smile even harder when he saw the dumbfounded look on Noe's face. Reaching out for Noe's hand, he pulls the mermaid that had stop swimming to the city of Mermaid Kingdom.

"Welcome home, Noe."

2