Book 2 – Chapter 05 – Off the Path
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Zalan and Nold walked in step to the exit to Oriton, Rep just slightly behind them. Zalan was eager to engage in any kind of conversation with Nold and began asking questions that he normally didn’t care for since they weren't essential for him to return home. He carried energy like an excited puppy, almost jumping at the chance to receive some attention.

“So where are you from, Instructor?”

“Oh, I am from close and from far, depending on the time of day,” Nold said mysteriously. Rep scoffed to himself, but Zalan seemed dazzled by the reply. 

“So you aren’t from Oriton?” Zalan asked. 

“No, I arrived some years ago after taking a journey to become an all-powerful instructor,” Nold said, sounding facetious.

“That’s amazing!” Zalan said immediately, then when Nold didn’t continue speaking, he jumped into another question. “So, why did you end up coming to Oriton? You like the sea breeze and living next to the water or something?”

“The Artifact that brought me here degraded and turned to dust. It just happened to be the place I thought I would find something — I mean someone — with a promising power. It took some patience, but I am very excited at what I have found,” Nold said, directing his attention to only Zalan.

“What Artifact did you use to get to Oriton that ended up degrading? Was it a Homeseeker? I have a Homeseeker,” Zalan shared, unprompted. 

“I used a Belt of Bolt,” Nold replied. 

“That’s cool. What umm…” Zalan tried desperately to find a new topic. “What Artifacts have you seen on your journey? Anything cool or extraordinary?”

“I have seen many Artifacts in my life,” Nold nodded to himself. “Like the Transfer Table. An incredible ware that allows one user to pass just about any attribute to another. And the Belt of Bolt! I traveled the world in the blink of an eye with that one before it wore out. Rings of Range, I collected many of those over time. If you have two of them, their power stacks and your range increases even further! Shackles of Stasis are a personal favorite of mine. What else? I have had a Drop Coin, an Elemental Echo, a pair of Goldfire Gloves… Really, many manners of Artifacts.”

“Are those the Goldfire Gloves?” Zalan pointed at Nold’s hands. “What do they do?”

Nold looked at the gloves on his hands, the bumps at his knuckles standing out to Zalan. His knuckles looked long or swollen based on the ridges in the gloves. Either that, or the gloves came with additional knuckle padding.

“These are just simple gloves,” Nold said plainly. 

“Wow,” Zalan replied, sounding amazed. 

“You said you have seen an Elemental Echo?” Rep asked, interested.

Nold turned back at him, having forgotten his presence in the moments prior. He smiled at him.

“I used one,” Nold said proudly. 

“Is it as useful as they say?” Rep asked. 

“Absolutely. It filled me with a powerful inspiration. It was the clearest direction I have ever received to an Elemental,” Nold nodded. Rep looked satisfied with the answer, then turned to explain to Zalan, 

“An Elemental Echo is an Artifact that tells you the location of the nearest Elemental, and exactly how to get there. It does not tell you the challenge, but it will get you to its location, even if it has hidden itself away.”

“Thanks, that was gonna be my next question,” Zalan said. Rep felt good knowing that he was still a valuable guide to Zalan.

“Which Elemental Power did the Elemental Echo send you to?” Zalan asked.

“Continue to travel with me and you may discover which,” Nold said, wanting to drop the subject.

They had reached the gates to exit Oriton, the guards looking them over in surprise. 

“So you found some students, Nold?” one of the guards asked. Zalan recognized him as the guard that saved his life when he was running from a Flamestriker. Sir Kilile. 

“That is right. Here we have Rep and… Zaltar,” Nold presented the two of them. 

“Rep! You have finally decided to join the tournament!” Sir Kilile said, ecstatic. 

“Yes, I will try and do Oriton well.” Rep nodded. 

“Excellent! Are you Level 3 now?”

“Level 5,” Rep corrected. 

“It seems you have gained much more power in the absence of my lessons. Perhaps I was holding you back,” Sir Kilile said, proud of the young man. 

“On the contrary, your lessons in Artifacts may have saved my life multiple times. Myself and Zalan,” Rep said, indicating to Zalan. 

“We really should be going,” Nold said, annoyed at the length of the conversation.

“Cutting it a little close to the deadline. They might close entry to the tournament before you arrive,” Sir Kilile mentioned.

“I think we can make it on time. We will be going off the common paths,” Nold said.

“If your reputation is anything like we have heard, then you should be fine,” the guard shrugged, moving aside and opening the gate. “Fare well Rep and Zalan! Be sure to remember Oriton if you succeed in winning the tournament! Nold’s students tend to run off on grand adventures after winning.”

As they passed through the opening to the world beyond the walls, Rep hesitated as Nold immediately broke away from the well-worn path leading out of Oriton. The visible paths were known for their safety, normally surrounded only by monsters that didn’t require a very high Level to defeat. But off of those paths, there were no guarantees of the same security. Creatures would be a lot more unpredictable and powerful.

“Instructor Nold, what Level are you? Is it safe to be traveling off the roads we know to be protected from danger?” Rep asked, concerned.

“Do not worry yourself, I am more than a high enough Level to manage anything we face. Nightwolves, Nargs, Shellbacks, anything we can find. Though, I will be trying to put you up against any enemies we find to better train you,” Nold assured them. 

“The best way to learn is through combat,” Zalan agreed quickly. 

He didn’t believe in that idea until his previous companions, Gorb and Fran, put him in the face of danger to train him. His abilities grew rapidly and he was able to gain Levels a lot faster than he would have had he stuck to safety alone. He might not even know how to imbue his sword with lightning were it not for all the battles they went through. 

“Can you at least tell me what your Strength or Wisdom is, if you do not wish to share your Level?” Rep asked.

“No,” Nold said simply. 

Rep looked increasingly nervous. 

“Hey, if your Strength is high enough, could you do something like pick up a tree with a single arm?” Zalan asked, not at all disturbed by Nold’s lack of sharing his Strength or Level.

Nold looked at him curiously. He opened his mouth, then closed it, trying to figure out exactly how harsh he should be with his reply. He decided to taper himself, as his student was still fresh. 

“No, that is absurd. Who told you that?” Nold asked. 

“No one… I just thought that your Strength would eventually be high enough to do big things like punching through walls and stuff,” Zalan said. 

“Your Strength only determines how powerful you are against monsters and other humans. A monster’s hide might become more malleable under your arms at a higher Strength, but a tree will always be the same tree. You need an unfathomable amount of physical vigor to pull a tree, roots and all, from the earth,” Nold said, sounding surprised that he had to explain this concept.

“Right… That makes sense,” Zalan said, deeply embarrassed. Evidently, he wasn’t as comfortable with the rules of the realm as he believed. Nold had much to teach him. “What else is Strength used for?”

“That is all. Your Strength will be put up against another’s in the battles in the tournament. And monsters, whether alive or dead, require a certain amount of Strength to break past their exterior protections,” Nold said. 

“Even if they’re dead?” Zalan asked, surprised. 

“Certainly. Their hide does not become weaker upon their death. So be sure that you have the Strength to pull any weapons out of a monster that you stab a sword into, eh?” Nold said.

Zalan faintly remembered getting his sword stuck inside of a Narg and being unable to pull it out after the battle. Fran pulled it out for him without much effort on her part. He realized that it could have ended up a lot worse had he still been in the middle of the battle. 

The further they traveled away from Oriton, the more aware of his surroundings Zalan became. They had entered an area densely populated by flora he didn’t recognize. The world off the paths was much more overgrown with plantlife and felt somewhat ominous, like humans weren’t supposed to encroach on the land. Sharp bristles stuck out of patches of dirt and the bark of the few trees they passed seemed to have spikes on their ends. The further he looked ahead, the more Zalan felt like they should get away from here. 

“Where are we going, anyway? What city?” Zalan asked, growing nervous with the silence of the trees around them. Trees were supposed to be silent, but it felt like they were watching him.

“I am unfamiliar with where it will take place this year, but it will not be a city. The Elemental Rage Tournament does not take place in a city. It is out in the middle of nowhere,” Rep said. By the sound of his voice, he was also growing fearful of the new surroundings.

“Why is that?” Zalan asked.

“It has always been that way, just as the Elementals decided it years ago,” Rep answered. 

Zalan gave him a look of bafflement. 

“Elementals organize this tournament?” Zalan asked, stunned. 

“No, it is entirely human run,” Rep said.

“It used to be run by Elementals, in the days of its inception,” Nold added.

Zalan looked between them in confusion, certain that he was being pranked in some way. Neither Rep nor Nold looked like they were holding back laughter. 

“How… what… How did Elementals run a tournament? Were they judges? Did they have rules? How did they get contestants? How did… How?” Zalan asked, each question inspiring more questions.

“The name of the tournament was inspired by the Elementals themselves. If no one joined the tournament, entire cities would earn their wrath,” Rep explained. 

“So people showed up in fear?” Zalan asked. 

“Not at all,” Nold interjected. “Perhaps the first tournament, but it was said that people came from all around to enter every year. The tournament used to be the only way to earn Elemental abilities in years past.”

“No Elemental challenges?” Zalan asked, interested.

“The Elemental Rage Tournament was the challenge,” Rep clarified. “You proved yourself worthy in combat to earn their incredible powers. Elementals were said to float above each of the matches and reward anyone they found worthy.”

“Do they still do that? Watch all the matches?” Zalan asked, remembering how terrifying it was to witness the Storm Elemental he sought out. He couldn’t imagine that it wouldn’t be distracting when he was supposed to be focused on a fight. Would Elementals start storms if they didn’t like a fight?

“They have not viewed tournaments in years. Not that we know of, anyway. The Elementals soured on the idea of the tournament over time,” Nold shook his head, seeming displeased. “They wanted to grant their power to those that would use it. They thought that those who were worthy in combat would be worthy in adventures across the realm, showing others the amazing power held within Elementals. But the pathetic fools who would succeed in the tournaments instead lived safe lives and avoided risk. They wanted the prestige of the power but held no more ambition to do something with their power! They likely never would have earned the power in the world we live in today. So, one year, the Elementals simply did not arrive, but the attendees still did. After some deliberation, the tournament continued regardless of the unusual circumstances.”

Zalan thought of the idea of what the tournament used to be. Elementals looming over fights and waiting to give people otherworldly abilities. He wondered if he would have participated in the old version. He shook his head, suddenly recognizing that this wasn’t his world and there was no chance for him to have been part of that history. He didn’t need to dwell on multiple layers of impossibility.

“Over time,” Rep continued, “the rules changed and rather than simple hand-to-hand combat, it became encouraged to use Elemental abilities in battle. Perhaps as an homage to the origins of the tournament.” 

“The tournament must be pretty brutal if you can just go and heal up right after a fight with a Healing Rest, right?” Zalan asked. 

“There is no Healing Rest in the tournament,” Nold declared. 

“What?”

“The Elementals pushed humans to their limits. The tournament is always held in a location that does not allow for Healing Rest. The Elementals would never have allowed it. The tradition continues, and fighters carry their injuries to each subsequent bout,” Rep explained.

Zalan nodded, the naming and history starting to make sense to him. He wondered if there was a deep history to this realm that he was missing. What kind of things would someone have to do in order to make history? Was killing an Elemental Dragon worthy of becoming legend? Zalan decided that he wanted to leave even sooner, before he became anything more than a footnote in this realm. Something about having a lasting effect left a disquieting feeling in his stomach. He was supposed to be back home by now. He hated this place and wanted no part in it.

Nold’s gait changed suddenly, turning them slightly. He had taken notice of something, but didn’t let it show on his face. Abruptly, he spun and faced his students.

“Can I see your weapons for a moment?” Nold suddenly asked, holding out his hands to Rep and Zalan. 

Rep and Zalan offered their blades. Nold raised them both high above his head. He admired them for a few seconds, then lowered them and looked at the unarmed members of his group. 

“You have two options,” Nold said, an interesting gleam in his eyes. “You can reclaim your swords from me, or you can fight those Slimescorps with nothing but your hands and Elemental powers.”

Bewildered by his offer, Rep and Zalan looked at one another. Then, they turned to look out at whatever Nold was referring to. In the distance, five slimy blue gooey monsters slid by like giant slugs. Out of their rears came a large, sharp tail like the end of a scorpion. Their eyes were simple and orange, looking more like dots than working optical receptors. They were inching away from the travelers, not having shown any notice to the men near their path. Zalan was still squinting, trying to get a read on the monsters as Nold began to raise the confiscated weapons.

“Wait,” Rep said, disheartened, already knowing he was too late.

Nold struck the two swords atop his head, a signal for the nearby monsters which immediately turned their attention to the three travelers. Their slithering sped up significantly, and behind them trailed an acidic, burning residue. Zalan knew immediately that they were not supposed to be touched. 

“Time to show me what your powers can do in battle. Prove to me that you could really handle an Elemental Dragon,” Nold smiled.

Check back in next post for: Chapter 06 - Slimescorps

Or read it now on Patreon  and chat with me on Discord.

1