Chapter 04 – Get in Line
114 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, why isn’t there a stat like Health on my abilities list?” Zalan asked, raising his wrist to get a better look at the lost skin scabbing over on the knuckles of his right hand.

“An interesting question. Do you have a health stat in your world?” Rep asked. 

“No, we don’t have any stats where I’m from,” Zalan replied. 

“So why are you expecting to see it here?” Rep asked, pointing to Zalan’s wrist as the abilities faded away. 

“I just guess I’ve just seen a more robust system in games I’ve played,” Zalan admitted.

“Games?” Rep inquired.

“What about this ‘Elemental’ ability? What is that?”

“Ah, that I can answer for you,” Rep said, tapping his index finger to his thumb and revealing his own stats. He was Level 03 and his Elemental stat read as “Fire.” He then snapped his fingers and sprouted a tiny flame on his thumb. “You can approach an Elemental creature and accept their challenge in order to gain their power. Then you can emit whatever power it grants.”

“You mean I can have a fire power?” Zalan asked, interested. 

“Not just fire. There are many elemental powers to be found in the world. Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Plant, Shadow, and more that are either rare or we are yet to discover.”

“Can I get multiple powers?” Zalan asked.

“Well… you certainly can achieve multiple powers, but the challenges placed forth by the Elementals are normally fairly difficult and you might find yourself satisfied after having achieved just one.”

“And as you called yourself my guide, what does that mean in this world?” 

Rep took the next few steps in silence. 

“Rep?” Zalan prodded.

“It is not a title in this realm. It is what I have decided to call myself,” Rep answered quickly.

“Why?”

“Because I am willing to guide you back to your home.”

“Well… As my guide, will you take me to get one of these powers if I ask you to?” Zalan asked.

Rep smiled, happy to see Zalan taking the world more seriously.

“It is difficult to search for Elementals, but I will do my best to find one for you to have your own power,” Rep promised. Zalan smiled at the thought, then remembered this might all be some strange dream, as much as he felt he was awake. What would be the point of a power that would disappear when he woke up? 

If only he could figure out how to wake up. He thought back to his plans to visit his mom and a wave of cold guilt washed over his heart. He ran a hand lightly through his hair.

“I’d actually rather just go home, to be honest,” Zalan admitted. 

“Very well, the first step requires you to go in there,” Rep nodded his head to a building standing before them. Zalan looked up at the sign hanging above the door and saw no words, only an intricate insignia of a tornado emitting flames, a pillar of light, and lightning. 

“Just in there?” Zalan asked, looking back at Rep. “You want me to go alone?”

“Oh. I suppose I could lead you in. I was going to follow after you, but leading is fine,” Rep walked in step with Zalan and opened the door for him. Zalan took a hesitant step forward and looked over the bunks set up around the large room, a table seated in the center, and another room leading into a hall on the other side of the room. The wooden walls were bare and the only light was that which bled in through windows and the open door. Zalan looked around for anyone inside the place, then back to Rep. 

“Where’s the person who’s supposed to get me out of here?” Zalan asked.

“What?” Rep looked confused for a moment, then blinked in recognition. “Oh, no, this is the guild. You need to sleep and rest to heal your arm and leg.”

“Why?”

Rep looked down at Zalan’s bleeding fist with concern then back up to him with a queasy grin. 

“Why not?” Rep asked.

“None of this will matter once I wake up back in my own world, right?”

“Neither of us know the answer to that,” Rep said, shifting uncomfortably as another drop of blood fled Zalan’s fingers.

“Fine, how about we cover it up with some bandages real quick and then head back out?” Zalan offered. 

“No, absolutely not,” Rep said, disturbed. “Just go lie down and rest.”

“I’m not even tired!”

“This is not about being tired, it is about resting to heal yourself,” Rep said. 

“That’ll take way too long! This won’t even matter when I’m gone,” Zalan protested.

“Lie down or I will not tell you how to get to Madam… to the person of interest!” Rep quickly corrected himself. 

Zalan rolled his eyes, frowning, but ultimately decided to listen to Rep and lie down on a cot. It was a thin bed and rather uncomfortable to lie down on. Despite this, Zalan found himself dozing in the moments after he was laid flat, as though the exhaustion of the earlier battle caught up to him all at once and swept him with their collective fatigue. Zalan started to wonder what the implications were of falling asleep if he was already slumbering in a dream world but quickly felt his mind drifting before he had the chance to think the idea to its completion. As was the case for many days now, he fell asleep with a frown on his face.

Zalan’s eyes shot open what felt like a moment later and he sat up in the bed, ducking under the bunk above him. Rep was sitting at the table in the center of the room, playing idly with a tiny flame he was struggling to maintain at the tip of what was left of the sword that had been broken by the Flamestriker. Zalan noticed that Rep looked fine, like he wasn’t kicked by a giant flaming wolf less than an hour ago. Zalan looked down at his own fingers and saw they were completely healed, devoid of any wounds or scabs. He rolled his ankle slowly and determined it was also fully healed. He was fully refreshed.

“What the…” Zalan murmured. 

“Feeling better?” Rep asked, looking up from his sword and snuffing out the flame while sheathing the weapon. “I told you that all you needed was to rest. I got myself some rest as well.”

“How long have I been asleep?” Zalan asked, standing up and appreciating how he could stretch without pain. 

“Three minutes, perhaps four,” Rep shrugged, moving to the doorway. 

“You’re messing with me, right?” Zalan said, quickly catching up. “Three minutes?”

“I see, you are disturbed. Is it faster in your world?” Rep asked. 

“No! It would have taken me… I dunno, like weeks or months before the scabs on my hand would have fully healed! I just sleep here and I’m all healed up?” Zalan asked, pointing to the beds as Rep opened the door outside. 

“Correct. You experienced something called the Healing Rest. A short slumber will be enough to heal all external wounds, so long as you rest in a safe place. It is different from regular sleep, dedicated only to healing oneself. You can treat this guild as your residence from now on. It is called the Journey House. Named as such because we are a nomadic guild; many in the guild are often out on a quest of some variety.”

“Cool,” Zalan said, looking over his hands in the sunlight that was miraculously still overhead after he had slept. “What now? Take me to where I can go home?”

“Indeed, we are not far from finding someone with a solution,” Rep nodded his head forward, indicating to the small building with a line heading out the door, people patiently waiting on the far side of the road a few blocks away. A shadow passed over them as a man interrupted their line of sight,

“Rep! Is this someone looking to learn about Artifacts from you? Or is this a new member of the guild?” The man stopped the two as they were emerging from the guild. 

“Perhaps not officially a member, but he is my guest in the guild. Zalan, this is Instructor Nold,” Rep motioned to the man.

Instructor Nold was a tall man wearing billowing robes. His deep brown eyes scanned Zalan curiously. He wore gloves over his hands that made it look like his knuckles were all incredibly swollen. Zalan saw that while the man was a bit older, he held himself like he had the full energy of youth within him. He was scrutinizing Zalan like he was a prized cow. It seemed like Nold wanted to poke at his bones and get a good look at him. There was an odd hunger in his eyes and smile that put Zalan off and he almost wanted to take a step behind Rep to be out of his gaze. 

“Pleasure to meet you, Zalan,” Nold held out his hand and grinned widely. 

“Sure,” Zalan accepted the handshake, wincing slightly as Nold’s hand squeezed like a vice grip. 

“Where do you come from?” Nold released his impressive grip and Zalan resisted the urge to massage his hand. 

“Not from around here,” Rep answered politely on his behalf. 

“Any good Elementals around you? Any we haven’t heard of, perhaps?” Nold asked, the hunger in his eyes almost ravenous. “Surely you have a power of your own if you’ve made an acquaintance to a member of Journey House.”

“Uhhh,” Zalan didn’t know which question to answer. “I don’t have any powers. And I don’t know how to get any.”

“Oh!” Nold said, his lips adjusting from a manic smile to a flat line. “I see. Have a good day, Zorlawn.” Nold quickly left, disinterested in continuing the conversation.

Zalan looked at Rep for an explanation and Rep shrugged.

“Nold is a renowned instructor. But he does not wish to affiliate himself with any guild or institution. He operates on his own terms. He only wishes to train those who are powerful and have Elemental powers of their own,” Rep said. 

“Really wants to make a name for himself?” Zalan asked, watching as Nold’s robes danced in a wind that Zalan didn’t feel as he walked away. 

“I think he already has. Anyone he has instructed has gone on to travel the world, no longer needing to have a quiet life in their hometown. They go off and experience grand adventures, never to come back to our smaller town of slow life,” Rep said, as he began leading the way to the building he indicated earlier with the long line of people. 

“How do you know they don’t just die when they leave and that’s why they’re never heard of again?” Zalan asked. 

“Because they are far too powerful to disappear without a trace,” Rep shrugged.

“Seems a little eager to find people with Elemental power,” Zalan noted. 

“It is unsurprising. I suspect he is looking for a protégé to train for an upcoming tournament,” Rep explained.

“Sure, whatever,” Zalan said, ultimately deciding he didn’t actually care that much about this man when he just wanted to get out of the dream world.

Rep and Zalan made their way to the modest building, Zalan continuing to marvel at the fact he could put his full weight on both of his legs so soon. Rep and Zalan stood at the back of the line, Zalan craning his neck to count the dozens of people ahead of them. 

“Is it always like this?” he asked, annoyed.

“No, actually,” Rep noted, taking in the scene himself. “She does not usually have more than ten or so at a time.”

“She’s got a constant stream of people to see her? And all she does is give advice?” Zalan asked, surprised. 

“You make it sound like such an insignificant thing. People have come from the edges of the land and beyond just to have an audience with her. Some people travel months only to confirm something they heard that she said second-hand,” Rep explained. 

“Yeah, well, I’m not some people,” Zalan murmured. 

“Then be grateful that you are already in the same town.”

Zalan was going to say that it wasn’t like he had a choice in the matter, but decided to shrug it off and instead took further note of the types of people in line. Some were farmers, others new parents with infant children, and a few were armed warriors. And the group he saw exiting the building looked greatly satisfied, quickly discussing what advice they received and how to best utilize it.

“Is this all it takes to get a chance to speak with her? Just stand in line?” Zalan asked. 

“Certainly. There is an optional fee—which we will be paying—but one only needs to wait patiently in order to see her,” Rep said, pulling out a bronze coin and flipping it in the air. 

A group of merchants stood in place behind Rep and Zalan, followed by a group of teens behind them, extending the line further. 

“Have you any idea why the line to Madam Hikma is rather long today?” a merchant asked. His mouth was engulfed by his mustache.

“I do not,” Rep replied. 

“She will be off soon is why!” the skinny man in front of Rep and Zalan turned back when he heard the conversation begin. “She is going to attend the Elemental Rage Tournament to judge and offer the prizes. Her travels are to begin in the coming week and we are not certain how long we will be missing our well of knowledge.”

“Ah, the tournament is that soon, is it?” Rep said eagerly, nodding his thanks to the man. “If you had any Elemental Power, I would recommend you participate in it yourself,” Rep said confidently to Zalan. Zalan smiled weakly. His pleasant smile made it obvious to Zalan that Rep was the one that was enthused about the tournament more than he cared for Zalan to participate.

“No, thanks. I can’t say I care too much about the ongoings of this place,” Zalan admitted as politely as he could. Rep closed his eyes in acceptance, trying to keep himself patient. 

“I was only trying to give you the context of the conversation. What would you rather we speak about while waiting in this line?” Rep asked as they took a step forward. 

“Uhhh…” Zalan suddenly felt ashamed but quickly recovered. “What was with the Firestriker thing? And how were you able to stop the explosion from exploding under me?”

“The Flamestriker,” Rep corrected, “was probably prowling the outskirts of Oriton, looking for something to hunt as a plaything. They are often found closer to volcanoes but occasionally will come out this far when not stimulated enough in their own homes. The explosion redirection was a work of my Elemental ability. I have been working on changing the direction of the flame for a while, but I am only Level Three, so I was mostly unsuccessful.”

“Seemed pretty successful to me, seeing as you saved my life,” Zalan said sheepishly.

“Except that you lost your eyebrows,” Rep smiled. 

Zalan immediately went to feel above his eyes and was pleased to feel they were still there, just like he left them. Then they drew together in confusion. 

“I didn’t?” Zalan asked, puzzled. 

“You did. They grew back when you rested in the guild,” Rep answered. 

Zalan raised his eyebrows in surprise, which amused Rep. They stood for a few seconds of silence, taking in the musings and gossip of those in line around them. But before Zalan could catch a thread of conversation enough to follow it, Rep cleared his throat and tilted his head at Zalan.

“What?”

“What else do you wish to talk about while in line?” Rep asked.

“Uhhh… how do you know my name?” Zalan asked.

“Miraculous means.”

“Do you wanna elaborate on that?”

“Not particularly,” Rep’s eyes turned away from Zalan.

“Okay, then I guess I don’t really have anything I want to talk about,” Zalan said.

“Not an option,” Rep replied. 

“Yeah, why not?” Zalan challenged. 

“I do not react well when left to dwell with nothing but my thoughts,” Rep answered simply. 

Zalan’s eyebrows furled. Rep looked perfectly normal to him, standing tall and able to speak to those around him without much anxiety. He wondered whether there was actually any truth to what he was saying. He had an inkling of a feeling that Rep was actually describing Zalan being in a state where being left alone with his thoughts was dangerous. Maybe Rep wanted to be polite and pretend that the issue was his alone. Zalan had no idea why Rep would know something of that nature and decided to drop the thought, knowing it was way too much of a leap in logic. He decided instead to just ask a question so that Rep wouldn’t try and keep getting a conversation out of him.

“All right, fine. So, what’s this lady’s name?” Zalan asked, putting his hands in his pockets. He was uncomfortable with the fact they were empty. Missing his phone. He then remembered and was made even more unpleasant by the idea that he didn’t know how he got into the clothes he was wearing.

“Her name is Madam Hikma, and we should address her as such,” Rep replied. 

“Because she requires us to?”

“No, she was never one for honorifics. But the people refer to her as such as a token of respect. It is not a particularly lofty name, so I hope you will not oppose referring to her as such.”

“Sure, I was just curious. What kind of problems do people normally go to see her with?” Zalan asked. 

“All manner of things,” Rep displayed his palms as if to present the world. 

“But what kind of things specifically?” Zalan asked.

Rep hesitated, his open palms slowly clenching in embarrassment. 

“Ummm, you could ask several people yourself,” Rep suggested after being unable to think of any examples off-hand. He tilted his head to the men behind them in line. 

Zalan raised an eyebrow, aware that Rep was too nervous to ask the question himself. 

“Hey, you,” Zalan nodded to the man with the mustache, whose hair bristled by the curtness with which Zalan got his attention. “What are you going to ask her?”

“I have come to ask what kind of wares to sell in the next town over,” he answered.

“Wares? You’re gonna ask her about economics? She doesn’t just stick to general life advice?” Zalan asked him. 

“I think it is very imperative life advice,” the merchant shrugged. 

“Is she a merchant, herself?” Zalan asked, taking a step forward in line. 

“No, what makes you say that?” the merchant asked, curious. 

“Then how would she even know about wares to sell? What idea does she have on economics?” Zalan challenged. 

“See for yourself,” the merchant’s mustache shook with the force at which he said the phrase. Zalan turned to look at the length of the line as he continued. “She deals with many different people across the land every day. She listens, and she makes deductions. Without telling me what the problems the people have, she will tell me about what wares would be best to better their lives. And that which will better their lives will be something they will be willing to pay good money. She is a very knowledgeable woman, in many fields.” 

“I don’t get it. How does listening to people’s problems make her a good person to ask about sales?” Zalan further inquired.

“Say the days are getting longer and people come to ask how they can increase their strength throughout the day. She might tell them that because the days are longer, they should be consuming more water to remain strong. She would tell me that there might be more demand for waterskins in my area,” the merchant explained. 

“So, it’s like a grift? This is how she makes money, by selling information like that to others?” Zalan asked, raising a skeptical eyebrow to Rep.

“If you knew just how foolish that statement was, you never would have dared to say it. Madam Hikma does everything for free. But she keeps her eye on the best way to keep her people healthy. Do you see how my asking for advice is possible now?” the merchant asked.

Zalan continued to look at the line as the group at the front entered, gaining a new appreciation for the power that this line had. He found it incredible. A community that this one woman had built around her, and seemingly as a free excursion for those just looking for answers. It reminded him of the generosity of his mother. She worked in medicine. She would often work to heal those that couldn’t afford normal doctors. The thought put a pang through his heart and caused a frown to form where he was amazed only a moment before. 

“Zalan,” Rep said, bringing him back with a nudge of his shoulder. “He asked you a question.”

Zalan pushed his thoughts away and looked back to the merchant. 

“Uhh, right, yeah, thank you,” Zalan said, hoping it was an appropriate answer to the question he’d already forgotten.

“What are you going to ask her?” the merchant asked.

“I’m gonna ask her—”

“How—how to… get to a faraway land,” Rep cut in stammering. Zalan realized that it would be strange to say he did not know how to get home, but didn’t think that would be an important point when this was all a dreamland anyway. He shrugged it off. 

“Ah, she’s familiar with all corners of the world, I am certain she will help,” the merchant nodded, unconcerned by Rep answering on Zalan’s behalf. 

They took another step forward in line, drawing closer to the answers Zalan anxiously sought to get home. Rep kept him at ease by keeping him and those around them entertained as he tried to keep a flame lit on the tip of his sword. At some point, Zalan grew bored of simply watching the flame Rep struggled to maintain and began fanning at it to put it out. Rep welcomed the additional challenge, and Zalan and others in line enjoyed the game for a few minutes. 

Rep wasn’t very good at keeping the flame lit, but the ones around them in line were much more interested in why Rep’s sword was broken. Subsequently, Zalan had to replay every detail of the Flamestriker battle and how he and Rep made it out alive, even though they were both severely under-Leveled.

Soon, they found themselves at the front of the line. Zalan looked back and noticed the line behind them was just as long as it had been when they entered it, constantly maintaining its length. Then, the door opened. 

“Madam Hikma will see you now,” a small girl said, smiling at the two of them. 

Rep led the way and Zalan took a deep breath and followed closely behind into the small building.

4