Chapter 7 Original sin: jealousy
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The approaching knight slowed his gallop in a gesture of courtesy, and Sean observed the battle flag on his lance. "It's the four-direction emblem," he noted, recognizing the mark of a true knight. Seeing Sean's admiring gaze, the young and proud knight straightened his posture and nodded respectfully towards Sean and his companions. "Damn, to think we'd still see knights in this day and age," Grant said with a dismissive chuckle to Isef. In these times, when the true essence of knighthood had become almost commonplace, such a prototypical knight was indeed a rarity.
"What's happening?" Elena, startled awake by the sound of hooves, inquired with a voice as melodious as a nightingale, instantly captivating the knight's heart. "Greetings, fair lady. I am Knight Alfonso, at your service," the knight said, halting his steed and gracefully removing his plumed hat in a bow to Elena. "Greetings, noble knight. I am Yeneya," she replied. "The pleasure is mine. I hope my presence can add joy to your journey," the knight said, seemingly intending to join Sean's group.
Sean's spirits deflated like a dried vegetable, noticing the swift change in his expression, Grant, Isef, and Archie couldn't help but chuckle secretly. Elena seemed to be quite taken with Knight Alfonso, though Sean wondered why she hadn't used her real name or revealed her countess status. "Sean, let's take a walk," Isef suggested, noticing Grant and Isef's glances. The knight's attendants had taken over Archie's duties, and Archie now joined Sean at the back of the group. Elena, meanwhile, was engaged in lively conversation with Alfonso, often covering her mouth with a turquoise handkerchief as she laughed heartily.
"Besides the longbow, what other weapons do you use, Sean?" Isef asked, engaging Sean in conversation. "The broadsword! Our Scottish Reaper broadswords are now quite collectible among nobles." "Indeed, a sharp tool. I heard the crafting process is quite complex, right?" "Not really, it's just that each blacksmith has his preferences." "Oh, I see." "Sean, if you could, I'd love for you to make me one," Isef quickly added, noting his current broadsword was quite worn, with a simple Italian-style guard. "Me too," Grant chimed in. "Why would you need a broadsword if you use a greatsword?" "Hehe, to trade for some drinking money," Grant joked.
Chuckling at the sight of Isef kicking Grant into the roadside bushes, Sean's mood lightened a bit. But his discomfort returned upon seeing Alfonso's incessant chatter. "Alas, nobility matches nobility. Elena and I aren't in the same league. She hasn't even looked at me properly these past few days," Sean consoled himself, feeling the sting of jealousy for the first time. "A knight whose hands can't even grip a sword properly," Sean thought, puzzled by Isef's comment. "Look at your own hands," Grant suggested. Sean observed his hands, roughened by daily archery, swordsmanship, and blacksmithing, and compared them to Isef and Grant's equally rugged hands. "See? That lad's hands are finer than Elena's. How much strength can such a knight wield with his sword?" "Yes, these days knights on the continent rely entirely on their attendants for combat. Knights are a thing of the past." "Oh!" Sean nodded thoughtfully, wondering what Alfonso would think of the mercenaries' words.
"Sean, best not to entertain any thoughts about Elena. That girl is not simple. Judging by her hands, she's likely skilled with a sword. A countess skilled in swordsmanship is quite unusual," Isef warned kindly, and Sean nodded earnestly. "Kid, the world outside is complex. Think things through and learn well with us," Grant advised. "You, a pig-headed brute, think?" Isef jested, lightening the mood. Crunching on damp twigs underfoot, Sean's mind wandered away from the captivating landscapes at the foot of the Swabian Jura, his thoughts lingering on Elena and Alfonso.
"Archie, let's stop ahead for a break. I can't go on," Sean called out. "Alrighty!" Archie cheerfully agreed. From the moment Alfonso joined them, Sean, Grant, and Isef had been deprived of their carriage privileges. Though Grant and Isef seemed unperturbed, Sean was visibly annoyed. "Blondie, Blondie, Blondie," Sean muttered a nickname under his breath, quickening his pace to catch up with the carriage, but then remembered that Elena too was a "blondie." "What are you mumbling about, kid?" "I paid for my ride; why should I walk now?" Sean pointed indignantly at the carriage ahead. "Hehe, would you dare get on now?" Grant teased, watching for Sean's reaction. "Come back!" Isef scolded Grant and pulled Sean back. "Why are you teasing the kid? Sean, better not act rashly. Nobility, you know, they have privileges. We should steer clear of them, especially since you're a kilt-wearing Scot, not well-received by the continent's nobility."
"Archie, let's rest up front. I'm exhausted." "Sure thing!" Archie readily agreed to Sean's shout. Ever since Alfonso joined, Sean, Grant, and Isef had lost their right to ride the carriage. Though Grant and Isef had no objections, Sean was clearly upset. "Blondie, blondie, blondie," Sean muttered under his breath as he quickened his steps to catch up with the carriage. But in his mutterings, he remembered that Elena was also a "blondie." "What are you mumbling about, kid?" "I paid for my ride; why should I have to walk now?" Sean pointed indignantly at the carriage ahead. "Hehe, would you really dare to get back on now?" Grant teased, looking forward to seeing Sean's reaction. "Come back!" Isef scolded Grant and grabbed Sean. "Why tease the kid? Sean, better not to act rashly. You know what nobility means, they have privileges. We'd best keep our distance, especially since you're a kilt-wearing Scot, not exactly favored by the continent's nobility."
"Archie, let's take a break up ahead! I can't go any further." "Alright!" Archie cheerfully replied to Sean's call. The arrival of the new travel companion had stripped Sean, Grant, and Isef of their right to ride in the carriage. While Grant and Isef seemed unbothered, Sean was visibly irate. "Blondie, blondie, blondie," Sean muttered a newly coined nickname under his breath, quickening his pace to catch up with the carriage ahead. However, amidst his muttering, he realized that Elena too was a "blondie." "What are you mumbling about, kid?" "I paid for my carriage ride, why should I have to walk now?" Sean pointed indignantly at the carriage ahead. "Hehe, do you really have the nerve to get back on now?" Grant teased, watching Sean's reaction expectantly. "Come back!" Isef scolded Grant and pulled Sean back. "Why tease the kid? Sean, you better not act rashly. Nobility have their privileges, and we should avoid provoking them, especially since you're a kilt-wearing Scot, which isn't exactly embraced by the continent's nobility."
0