Chapter 9 Inside the city
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Observing the rows of wooden houses lining the streets, Sean looked around curiously, occasionally startled as children noisily dashed past. "Keep a close eye on your purse. If someone bumps into you, chase them immediately, or you'll end up begging in the streets," Grant advised. Sean quickly felt for his money pouch hidden inside his shirt; thankfully, it was still there.
"This is the residential area. Beyond the defense tower lies the territory of various guilds: the Armorers' Lane, Weaponsmiths' Row, Gunsmiths' Alley, Leatherworkers' Street, and so on, with a tavern at the center. After the tavern is the Mercenaries' Guild," Grant explained. "Don't worry about getting lost. The city is centered around the Mother Church, and each street has its own industry signboard. Just look up, and you'll know where you are," Isef added.
Sean looked up and indeed saw a wooden signboard with an armor painting hanging high on the corner of a second-floor building. "Stay away from the east side; that's the nobles' quarter. You're free to roam elsewhere, but be careful not to stir trouble. Here, brawls are tolerated as long as they're not fatal, but who knows how they'll end up?" Grant continued. "Don't worry, I'm still young and inexperienced," Sean replied, his large stature making him even more cautious among the buildings and people, as each passerby seemed to startle him.
"Stand up straight! It's just entering a city. When I first came to a city, I wasn't like this," Grant chided. "Weren't you the one who wanted to run away at the city gate?" Isef interjected. "And you, clinging to a horse's tail, scared to go home," Grant retorted with a chuckle.
During their walk, Sean learned about Grant and Isef's backgrounds. They were from the same village; Grant's family were carpenters on an estate, and he, a strong and troublesome lad, had no desire to be a mere carpenter. Isef's story was more unusual. An orphan, he served as a scapegoat for a noble's child, enduring punishment meant for the noble's offspring. This harsh upbringing, however, gave him a noble's education.
As adults, neither content with a rural life, they ventured to the city and became mercenaries. Their skills and luck earned them the status of free citizens of the city, allowing them to own property. The decade-long imperial wars provided them with substantial income.
"Sean, I'm off with Archie to handle our gains. You go with Grant to register at the Mercenaries' Guild," Isef instructed. "Let's go, kid," Grant said, leading Sean to the guild. Surprisingly, the guild was housed in a ramshackle building. "Vidi, your chest seems smaller. Missing my touch?" Grant flirtatiously slapped the backside of a plump woman. "You naughty boy, I bet you've missed me!" she replied with a roguish grin.
Stunned by the two's bawdy banter, Sean watched in disbelief. "What a fresh young man!" Vidi pinched Sean's cheek, her ample bosom almost pushing him out of the room. "Registering a new mercenary, this one here!" Grant pointed at Sean. "Don't let him end up like your previous companions," Vidi warned, sending a flirtatious wink and tossing a mercenary contract. Unbeknownst to them, Alfonso was blissfully following Elena, anticipating a closer encounter.
"Inform them I'll be back tomorrow," Alfonso whispered to his attendants, dismissing them to ensure privacy. Gazing at Elena's curvaceous silhouette, he fantasized about the ecstasy of her under him. A sharp pain from his saddle brought him back to reality. Startled by a loud bang, he realized it was the gunsmith's morning salute, the sound as piercing as a trumpet. Alfonso straightened his posture, maintaining his knightly grace.
Elena, masking her true identity, sneered at Alfonso's disappointment upon realizing she was a merchant's daughter. "Daddy, I'm home!" she called cheerily, entering the gunsmith's shop. A quick glance to the shopkeeper signaled something, and she disappeared into the back room. "Knight, at your service," the shopkeeper greeted Alfonso, blocking his pursuit.
Watching Elena's departure, Sean mused over their different social standings. In the city, Sean's naive exclamations about unfamiliar sights amused his companions. Upon reaching the city gate, the guard demanded a high entry fee from the lavishly dressed Alfonso, while Sean and his group paid a much lower fee, reflecting their modest appearance.
Inside Reutlingen, Sean marveled at the city's thriving textile industry. Despite each profession
having its own street, many guilds seemed modest compared to the wool weavers and combers. Reaching the Mercenaries' Guild, Sean was surprised by its dilapidated state. Vidi, the voluptuous guild agent, welcomed them with flirtatious banter, amusing Sean. Alfonso, relieved to be rid of Sean's unnerving gaze, eagerly followed Elena, unaware of her deceptive identity and her disdain for his presumptions.
0