Chapter 1
63 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The King's avatar

Tick tock tick tock…

The sound of a clock rings loudly in the silent classroom, as the students inside all focus their attention on the test in front of them.

With the sound of pencils scribbling away on the sheet of paper. With each second slowly, the sound dies down, and finally.

Ding… Ding…ding…

"Everyone hand off their paper! The test is over. Pass it to the person in front of you and Gao Qi! Stop trying to copy Ning Er!"

The teacher quickly threw his chalk with accuracy, hitting the boy right in the forehead.

Everyone laughs at him, as he messages his own head, laughing.

With all the paper collected, the girl dropped them down on the teacher's table, before bowing down and leaving the room.

Taking her bag, she reached down to get her headphones but a familiar voice called out to her.

"Xue'er! Xue'er!" Turning to the voice, she saw the brown, straight hair coming at her so fast that she was almost unable to dodge in time.

"Why did you dodge, Xue'er!" pouting, the girl tries to hug again but to no avail.

"You will fall down, Mingming." Finally, stop dodging, Xue'er let Mingming hug her as she put the headphone on her head.

"You won't let me~ Ah! You bought your headphones today! That means I'm passing with flying colors for sure!"

Yu Mingxi or Mingming jumps up and down with cheer, bopping her head around as Xue'er watches her.

"Sometimes, I wonder how you and I are related." sighing to herself, Xue'er takes off down the corridor, leaving Mingxi alone.

With the test over, the long break is almost here, with tomorrow being the weekend too, maybe she will practice her guitar till midnight?

No, that's no good. She wouldn't want to get complaints from her neighbor again.

Ring~~~ Ring~~~

The alarm rang in her ear loudly as she was putting almost full volume on her headphone, lowering the sound a bit, she looked at her phone for the one who called her.

Mom

Sliding to answer she took it up to her mouth. "Hello, mom."

"Little Xue! What happens to your sister? She didn't take her phone call again." her mother, Xiao Huo, said worriedly.

"She probably on her bike? She said she will go out to party with her friends today." Xue'er answers while walking past people going on their way.

"That so? Tell your sister to come home sometime, there is food here, no need to go out to eat and you to come take the food from home back to your apartment."

"Kay. By the way, when will Dad be back? He should come back today right?" walking past an internet cafe, she looked inside taking in the atmosphere.

It was full of people, even though it was a weekday and during exam season too.

"Dear! Come here! Little Xue wants to talk!" her mother's voice pulled her back to reality, she heard some footsteps, and then a voice rang out.

"Hello hello! Do you miss your dear father that much, Little Xue!" Her father, Yu Feng, talks energetically, as he sounds happy to be back home after being gone for a few years.

"No," she answered flatly and she could hear the sound of something falling. Probably her dad.

"a-ahem! W-well, what do you want?" coughing a few times, she could hear a snicker from the other side too.

"Mingming wanted new makeup, she said it was… Flo… Flower…ah, Florasis. She said she want Florasis brand this time."

"got it-ow! What are you doing-ow! Okay, I get it! I get it!" hm, the usual. Every time Mingming wants something, her father must suffer the wrath of his wife. After all, he spoils Mingming too much.

"Ahem! Well, that will depend on her report card. Is there anything you want Little Xue?" her father asked.

"No, there's nothing- ah, can you give me more money? I was planning to buy…What is it called again? Ca…card scanner! Yeah, that!"

"Huh? What is that for?" her father asked.

"You remember Luo Ji?"

"Ah, the Genius lad! When will you two date?"

"We are not going to, he just turned 18." Xue'er answered flatly, "He got into this game called 'Glory' and wants me to play with him. I already have an account card but it needs a scanner to actually play it and I don't want to spend my allowance on it."

Stopping at the cross-section, she waited for the light to turn green so she could cross it.

"Glory…Glory? Where did I hear of it again?"

"The one Mingming talked about, I think it was her second boyfriend that played it."

"Oh right! How much?"

"Mh…Around 80 yuan, but can I get 130? I want to buy some new string since I use it all already," Asking her father for money, she thought about what to do with the leftover, the string should only cost about 30 yuan but more can't hurt, right? After all, if the price went up she could just pay with it.

And it is not like they lack money, with her father's company, they are set for life even if they refuse to work, but Xue'er doesn't want to live like that. That is why she studied hard and was able to get into the famous university in T-City, it was where she met Luo Ji, a genius boy who had the same interests as her, though not quite the same.

But if there is one thing she is not satisfied with, it is that her father needs to move around a lot so he is normally not home. She loves her father, but he is always either abroad or in other cities. sometime after she turned 15, she even thought her father cheating on her mother was the reason he was not at home, but it was a good thing that the misunderstanding was quickly resolved.

"OK, I will just send you the money through the bank ok?"

"Umu, Thank dad, by the way, how long will you be staying? The long break is almost here so we can spend time together."

She waits as she crosses the crosswalk, but still no answer comes.

"Dad?"

"Ahaha, Sorry little Xue, your old man here is leaving in a few days. Some meetings are unavoidable and it was abroad so I will probably be gone for around a month or two this time." her father answered, Xue'er stopped moving, almost getting hit by a passerby trying to walk.

"Then…I will be back home tonight, I will call Mingming too."

"Ah, you don't need to-" Before her father got a chance to finish, she cut the phone off and dialed a new number.

Hearing it ring its tune for a few minutes, she saw it was picked up.

"What's wrong Xue'er? Why are you calling me?" hearing her sister's voice amidst the loud music and yelling, she sighs.

"Mingming have you been drinking?"

"Wha? No, of course not!"

"Drive back home, we are going to stay there until Dad leaves."

"Ehhh, isn't he just coming back today? Why is he leaving again? Oi! Shut up! I'm talking to my Sister here!"

Hearing her sister yelling out to her friend, she sighed again.

"Dad going abroad, he is not returning for around 2 or 3 months."

"Eh! Already!? That old man is not gonna drop dead before I graduate right!?"

"Careful about what you say, sis," she said in a cold voice, her sister hearing the tone quickly replied. "I know you going to inherit dad company, but that doesn't mean you get to say something right that."

"That was a joke! Come on, I don't want him to drop dead, I was just joking!"

After a long silence, Mingxi sighed, "I will be back in 20 minutes" With that she hung up the phone.

Sighing to herself, again. buying some snacks that her father liked from the convenience store and getting snacks her sister liked too, she was a bit harsh just now.

Sighing again, she pays for it and leaves the store, walking past another internet cafe, this one was bustling with people, cheering for something, but she promptly ignores it and makes her way straight to her apartment.

As she arrived, she found her sister's bike already parked in the parking zone, she unlocked the door with her card and walked inside, hearing the water running, she placed the snack on the table and waited, playing games on her phone.

After 10 minutes of waiting, her sister finally came out, brown hair flowing down, as she walked in the towel.

"Milk?" Xue'er ask.

"Kya!" Her sister surprised by the sudden intrusion, screams out in a girly voice that does not match her usual appearance. "Xue'er? You back already? I thought it going to take another 10 minutes or so.

Taking the milk from her hand, Mingxi gulps it down with a satisfied smile. Seeing her sister smile, she pick out snacks from her bag."Do you want crabstick or Shaobing?" She asks.

Mingxi without hesitation, took the crabstick from her and began to open it and take a bit into it. "Wah! It's BBQ flavor, My favorite!"

Taking the shaobing for herself, she slowly nibbles on it. "I'm sorry about what I said during the phone call. I know you joking but I took it too seriously."

"Mah, don't mind it! I said something bad too, So let me take this as your apologies offering!" she quickly finished the crabstick and began to hug Xue'er, but before she managed to hug her, Xue'er dodged at the last minute, putting the bread in her sister's mouth.

"Don't touch me, your hand is dirty." She said lightly with a smile, as she dodged all of Mingxi's hugs.

Her big sister being the genius and sociable daughter of the house, is the child that their parent will be proud of, while she may be laid back, Mingxi always comes out at the top even though she not trying, she is good at social cues, making friend and good at sports. She is what you would call a genius.

That is why her father especially spoils her sister, well he really just spoils the both of them rotten since their childhood.

Despite being twins, she is the complete opposite. She is bad at being social, unable to make friends and only takes time mostly to herself with her hobby or family. Though Luo Ji is an exception.

But that did not get in the way of the two of them, Xue'er was close with Mingxi, that is an undeniable fact. People often compare the two of them but she learns to ignore it, after all, those are the truth and it not going to make a crack in their relationship.

After playing with her sister for a while she looks at the time. It was already 18.30 pm. "We should get going, otherwise Dad going to be depressed again."

"Ah yeah! Almost forgot about it!" Mingxi quickly leaves to get her keys, Xue'er makes her way downstairs and waits a bit, but then a phone call comes in, looking at the caller, she feels herself smile a bit.

"Hey, Luo Ji." She said, her voice sounds a bit more perky than usual.

"Xue-jie! How was the test?"

"Mhm, It going well, how about you?" She asks while taking one of the helmets from her sister's bike.

"Yeah, it going well for me too, anyway, Did you get the scanner yet? The new server is about to open on December 3rd, it's just 4 days away." He asks, Xue'er can hear the sound of him typing away at his computer, probably an assignment he got from Professor Zhang.

"I just ask Dad for money so I will probably get it after, By the way, how do I use it? do I just connect it to the computer and slip in the card?"

waiting for a few seconds she finally got a reply, "Sorry about that, professor just message me about new work for me. And yeah, just connect it to the computer, you already have Glory installed right? After you open Glory and insert the card, you should get into the server selection menu, ah you can customize your character in the game first so don't forget about that."

"Umu, I understand, and it seems you are busy so don't let me take your time and attention away." Hearing his keyboard nonstop, she decided it best to leave him to focus on the work.

"Ah, sorry about this, even though I was the one who called."

"Don't worry about it, Bye Luo Ji."

"Bye, Xue-jie!" With that, she hangs up. Smiling lightly to herself, she turns around only to see Mingxi grinning madly like she found her new weakness.

"Hehe, some 'Friend' you are." Not having any of her sisters teasing, she put the helmet on and waited for her sister by the bike, glaring as Mingxi had just stolen her snack or something.

Mingxi for her part, didn't seem to mind. She has another story to tell their father about and she can't wait.

2