Ch30: Quelling Riots
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the next week, Xeight and Elder Vthree were repeatedly brought deep into the research areas of the Kasvallian Yellowstone Complex under Grand Teton. Vezna explained that the unit needed the extra week to be ready, and would be best if calibrated for Xeight in case of any complications while returning to space.

They bumped into quite a number of terran elites during their wanderings around the complex, and were simply passed off as Vezna’s special guests, Wright and Vee. Many of those elite had stuck around, mingling with one another.

From the conversations he happened to come across, it seemed like many planned to stick around for a little under a week.

James and Athena of the EFNSF did not have this luxury, and soon found themselves being present as representatives of the EFSF at the aforementioned riots around the region of LA and Seattle.

With the threat of Mars and decreased access to the belt, the majority on Earth had opted to support and clamp down on dissent as per the Earth Federation’s guidelines. However, a minority resisted and even supported Mars’ independence.

These were the people that Athena found herself intimidating having arrived in downtown LA. The instructions given to her was to use the nexarm’s hulking presence to stoke fear, and then recalibrate the laser systems to perform a combination of flash effects to disorientate and cause discomfort to the protestor’s eyes. She was not to cease even if this caused certain individuals to go into seizure.

Meanwhile, the local police force had long equipped their riot gear and relevant neuro devices, and formed an impenetrable wall before the protestors.

The situation was further complicated by the presence of the citizens that staunchly supported the Earth Federation. The two groups had begun throwing objects at each other, but with the presence of Athena and Olivia’s nexarm, the group supporting the Earth Federation only grew bolder with their actions.

“Sergeant Parker.” A voice sounded through to a man leading the riot control squad. “Focus on the pro-Mars independence protestors. Once they are dispersed, the other group will leave as well.”

“But, chief…”

“Our allegiance is to the Earth Feds. Remember that.”

“Yes, sir.”

Sergeant Parker gave his orders to his officers and the riot squad boxed in the group supporting Mars independence. The group supporting the Earth Federation had begun throwing bricks at those of the pro-Mars independence crowd.

“Sergeant… should we--” An officer somewhat hesitant with the situation was cut off mid-thought.

“Chief has given her orders. Disperse the pro-Mars group and the other will leave as well. Water cannons and rubber bullets on the ready. Those supporting the Earth Feds make up the majority in our polling. Just consider this an expression of democracy, if it comforts you. The nexarms are also on our side!” Frankly, that was what Sergeant Parker told himself when he received the chief’s orders.

“We do not have the manpower and are unable to identify the ones throwing bricks in the pro-Earth Feds group! Begin riot suppression!”

“Liv…” Athena had to confirm if her eyes saw right as the riot squad specifically targeted the pro-Mars independence crowd, pummeling them with multiple water cannons, rapidly spraying them with waves of rubber bullets.

“Ensign Watanabe,” Olivia’s voice slightly trembled but maintained a steady tone. “Those who are pro-Mars are significantly more likely to house the terrorists that caused damage in the early months of the conflict.”

“Remember Warsaw? Now, add an element of heat to cook them,” Olivia ordered.

Athena bit her lips and obeyed, ensuring that her laser devices had a slight element of heat, not enough to burn but enough to cause those in the demonstration group a further elevated temperature above the summer heat.

A similar thought was echoed as Sergeant Parker assured the squad under him.

“Remember, these are the ones more likely to house those that dropped the asteroid onto Warsaw. Do not hold back. Raise the temperature of the water cannon.”

His words gave his underlings assurance that they were taking the right course of action, and many of their expressions hardened in determination as they continued their suppression efforts.

Block after block, they repeatedly boxed in the pro-Mars independence demonstrators before pummeling them to the hard and broiling concrete ground. Many attempted to escape, but some ended up being trampled down by their very own.

“Leave them to the medical cleanup crew.” That was Parker’s orders as the riot squad moved on, followed by the two nexarms who’s every step shook the firmament.

This continued for a few days and Athena found herself in a stupor. Olivia began noticing her younger compatriot speaking less and less over this period, yet was unable to find the right words to drag Athena back to the present with her failing attempts at half-jokes and conversation.

It was then that the group hit a roadblock-- an armed group of protestors that had occupied a few blocks.

Sergeant Parker sent a communication to Olivia, requesting their intervention, but the EFNSF needed to be cleared by the American government to employ military force against the armed protestors. The EFSF still functioned very much in cooperation with Earth’s governments.

Special Lieutenant James MacLeod was informed and he communicated with the American government. An agreement was made-- the Earth Feds had no desire to lose their current majority support of the terrans, and so the government had to be the face for resolving the situation.

So it was announced by the American government that if the armed protestors were to not disperse, they would have no choice but to employ automaton swarms. Those crab automaton swarms would be supplied and operated by the local police but coordinated through the nexarm’s multifaceted systems.

In but a day of this standoff, trucks rolled in carrying forty swarms of thirty american-flagged crab automatons. Some protestors had abandoned their cause, but many stood their ground.

The swarms lined up before the blockade formed from furniture stripped from the buildings within the occupied blocks, the turrets of the crab automatons primed and its sensors already identifying the positions of many hiding within the buildings.

“Why… why did they not leave?” Athena was exasperated. Surely, these protestors knew what was about to occur.

Olivia could not think of a reply. She was similarly befuddled.

A bulky man hiding within a building with a thick brown beard observed the outside through a linked drone.

“Surely, they wouldn’t dare? If this event was to be known across the world, there would be other riots!”

“Our deaths would signify that the Earth Feds are in the wrong and the Martians deserve their independence!”

The bulky man, their leader, nodded in agreement to the words said by his compatriots.

“The people will not stand by this. They will face a reckoning. They are only intimidating our position!”

Their assessment was completely off the mark.

“Higher ups have given the command,” Sergeant Parker stated to his officers. “There is no need to hesitate. An independent Mars would permanently disrupt our supply chain and cause untold scarcity on Earth. The majority of the world stands with our actions.”

His voice further hardened with conviction. “We protect Earth’s global citizens. We ensure the prosperity of terrans and the generations to come!”

His squad roared in agreement, and the crab swarms leapt forth, pouring into the many buildings that the armed protestors hid within.

The protestors inside could only widen their eyes in disbelief and fire half-haphazardly at the swarms with their rifles, but their bullets lacked the force to penetrate the armor of the crab automatons.

The crab automatons began spraying their turrets in every single direction. A man’s attempt to surrender was ignored as his body, prostrating to the ground for mercy, was peppered with bullets from the many rotary layered number of turret layers that every crab automaton was constructed of.

A man attempted to assault a single automaton, hiding behind a corner before leaping out when the crab turned. He grappled in desperate hopes of prying apart the crab automaton’s plates, only to fail miserably as his body too was punctured with holes that leaked blood like a popped water balloon.

As the coordinator, Athena’s connection allowed her to observe the actions of the ten swarms attached to her ten sensory channels.

Her heart pounded like a beating drum, and she began feeling an uncomfortable consuming heat that rose to her skin. She blinked her bleary eyes as streams of sweat rolled down her forehead within her suit.

Warning! User displaying unnatural bodily physiological reactions. Signs of extreme distress detected. System shutdown initiated.

The nexarm mainframe flashed red and Athena found herself suddenly disconnected from the swarms.

This caused a few of the crab swarms to bump and crash against each other as Athena could not provide assistance in coordinating their movements. The officers in control of the motor control of these swarms only stuttered for a moment and chose to say nothing. They began communicating with each other through the old but reliable method of speaking.

Olivia pursed her lips-- she sensed Athena’s nexarm going into lockdown mode, but she had to continue cooperation with the officers to quell these final armed protestors.

Soon, the unsavory task was complete and they counted a thousand dead.

Olivia apologized profusely to Sergeant Parker regarding the sudden loss of coordination, but the man shook his head to dismiss the incident.

“I’m happy to know the young woman is a human. Me… certain tasks need to be done, yes.” These were his words. Many other officers nodded in agreement.

Olivia opened the cockpit door to find Athena laying on the ground beneath the pilot seat, her eyes murky and lost, staring at the surrounding red flashing nexarm spherical cockpit.

“Liv….” Athena muttered upon feeling Olivia’s presence. “How are you able to…”

Olivia Gonzalez is a Lieutenant because she had already served some time in the EFSF.

“Although previously we never had the capacity to stomp out the belt’s pirates… suppressing asteroid colonies ain’t that uncommon…” Olivia softly replied. Athena had never heard her discuss those previous experiences. Obviously, Olivia intentionally avoided bringing up those events in their day-to-day conversation.

Olivia pulled Athena back to her feet.

“Ensign. Return to the Kasvallian Yellowstone Complex,” she ordered. “You are to rest your mind. Enjoy the artificial hot springs, the spas-- have some fun, girl!”

Athena opened her mouth in protest but Olivia glared her silent. 

“This is an order, Ensign. I will handle the cleanup. You are to return early to the rendezvous point.”

“Yes, mam.”

The events of the day were communicated to James MacLeod, who remained silent for a minute after hearing the details of the incident.

“Thank you, Gonzalez,” he finally replied, sounding rather tired and exhausted to Olivia’s ears. “My mind has been overly focused on the war and I have neglected the mental state of our team.”

___________________________________________________________________________

Outside of the Sector Chamber, Pacific City, 25th August, 1000 Solar Era

Admiral Petrov walked up and whispered into Varoufakis’ right ear. “Zulu was successful.”

Varoufakis nodded and entered a side-room. He would contact the many orbital colonies that manufactured the majority of the products on Earth.

When he came out of the room, he had a small smile on his face, and promptly announced a news conference.

Many cameras pointed to his podium within the sector chamber-- these would send his holographic message globally.

“Citizens on Earth. I am proud to announce that we have both retaken the resource point of Hygiea in the belt along with resolving the armed and terror forces on the west coast of North America.”

He took a moment to beam at every individual camera device hovering in the air.

“With this resolution, I am happy to announce that the conglomerates have agreed to lower prices by five percent. The Earth Federation will also once again be able to raise the previously suspended universal income support program. Thank you all for your support!”

“We will continue to ensure the prosperity of Earth!” He declared with a fist raised to the sky.

It was a rather short announcement, but the terrans were overjoyed that they were slowly returning to the pre-war state with regards to quality of life.

When Varoufakis stepped down from the podium, he noticed Selena Muller’s presence. He quickly walked up to her and tapped his neuro circlet in a wordless communication.

After a few seconds, Selena nodded. 

“Very well. The DWA will suppress certain details of the riots in the west coast of North America.”

________________________________________________________________________

Kasvallian Yellowstone Complex, 25th August, 1000 Solar Era

Xeight found his eyes resting upon an exo-armor similar to the nexarm, a twenty meter tall metal suit of a dominating presence. However, it was slightly bulkier and also decorated in a non-reflective jet-black color.

“We call this the HAISNAF,” Vezna glowingly stated to Xeight’s side. “It’s short for Human Artificial Intelligence Symbiotic Neuro Armor Frame. Return this prototype to space. We, the Kasvallian Group will receive the unit and in return, you and Mars will receive some benefits.”

He tapped his neuro circlet and confirmed the state of the riots. “The EFSF is currently doing cleanup duty. We don’t have much time. Leave with the unit before James MacLeod returns.”

Xeight nodded as Elder Vthree, behind him, sighed in relief. Ever since their meeting with James MacLeod, Elder Vthree had been rather worried that the man would reveal their presence.

Xeight and Elder Vthree entered the cockpit. Xeight jumped into the pilot seat while Elder Vthree was content to strap and secure herself to a guest seat.

He tapped his forehead against the cockpit and his neuro circlet was synced to the haisnaf.

Welcome, user.

Xeight did not bother waiting for the system to welcome him. He had already activated the thrusters. While examining the system, he was rather surprised to find nearly forty weapon devices were directly integrated into the exo-armor. He felt this was odd-- he himself could not control this many motor devices simultaneously.

Half of these were detachable, so he would be able to use them in a similar fashion to a nexarm’s functionality.

A hole below the mountain peak opened and the haisnaf accelerated outwards. Their destination was already set-- Xeight was to hijack a space launch system in Salt Lake City.

Perform deep-sync with the system?

This popup of the haisnaf sparked Xeight’s curiosity, and thus he agreed. Yet all he received was an error message.

Error: unable to perform deep-sync.

A pity, Xeight thought. The prototype must have faulty features due to it being a prototype. He had been rather curious as to how this exo-armor differed from a nexarm.

Warning. Approaching exo-armor.

Xeight’s eyes widened as he expanded his senses, only to find a nexarm unit dropping towards him from the sky! They had just exited the complex, for goodness sake!

The identity of this nexarm? It was Athena, who had returned early to the Kasvallian Yellowstone Complex. Her senses had picked up the appearance of the matte jet-black haisnaf, and almost instinctively, Athena believed it to be an enemy and had dropped her nexarm off from the returning transport plane!

0