Chapter Two: The Final Wish
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That’s right, I said existence. Not necessarily all existence is bad, in fact, I want to keep it, just change it’s rules. I don’t necessarily know what I want to change, but after seeing all of Earth's history a few times, I personally thought it was all very unfair and miserable. Maybe there’s an afterlife and it’s all justified somehow but I don’t see why we get no choice in existence that we know of. See, this only makes me want to see the source universe even more so I can know the why and how of everything so I can improve it.

"You have now received a friend request from Mason!"  

Did someone make a sockpuppet account? That's odd. I accepted the friend request and he started typing.  

Mason: I’ve been waiting for you, Magnus Whitlock.

NOBODY has called me by my last name besides my parents. At least, not in a very long time. He continued.  

Mason: I’m actually from the origin universe. I am a boy, 15 years old, and I heard that you wanted to reach the origin and stop antioriginism. You may wonder how I play into this. Well, the origin universe has an intelligent creator that sometimes communicated with us. I thought it was an okay universe, however compared to the rest of them, I much prefer my own. They were far too complex and chaotic, but Lucy, or Purity-B disagrees. I tried to ask the creator (Janus)  why he created the universe. He always seemed to dodge that question.  

Well I have no reason to doubt him. I didn’t tell my last name to anyone else. He continued.

Mason: You may be wondering why I haven’t helped you yet. Well, I have my own goals. Before I design a universe where everything is predictable and I’m at peace, I must reach a few milestones. A bucket list. Now I had to observe you for a while before I confided in you this. You strike me as trustable so I’ll tell you this, I have a crush on Lucy. I want to be her boyfriend.  

Me: Oh okay, what happened with you and her? 
Mason: *sighs* I tried to talk to her in private, but she had major trust issues. Also, she thought I was a bonehead. She used my bluntness and poor social skills as an example. I remember when she reached The Nexus. To give some backstory to the universe, aliens had made contact with us in your equivalent of the 19th century and helped accelerate our universe to technological paradise. Eventually her dad started an alien war or something, and she escaped to their planet in disguise.  

Mason: Her father had killed the alien royal family and then she became a sensation for being a cute human girl that could sing in a beautiful voice. Eventually, the ice kingdom in the north adopted her as the host princess. So basically, it was like a reverse ‘Luke, I am your father,’ moment when she met her dad. She knew she could summon a hoard of aliens if she reached the apex of her princess tower.  

Mason: Her father knew this too, so it was a race to the top. When she reached the top, she was about to press the summoning button but then a cage fell onto her and trapped her. Fortunately, the holes were big enough for her to throw her princess sword onto the button and press it. That’s when the aliens freed her and took her father to the dungeon.  

Mason: I should mention that her princess sword isn’t really like a normal sword. It’s the size of a bean on the outside but around a foot long when unearthed. She looked at her sword and had a realization about what it meant. She decided it represented a certain disregarded power and thus called herself Purity-A. Unbeknownst to her, I had already discovered the same thing about myself and called myself the same name. I had to rename her to Purity-B because I thought of it first.  

I didn’t really get it.  

Me: So, you had a prince sword or something? Do you two share the sword symbol?  

Mason: Heh no, do you think any of this stuff is that literal with all you’ve seen so far? But yes, I did have a prince sword. It also extended but not as much as hers. Some people could say mine is more handy. But hers was a beauty when seen at full size. I love her princess sword.  

Me: Can you get to the point? 
Mason: Right. Our symbol is hypermasculinity and hyperfemininity respectively. Mine is represented through a sword because it's a metaphor for a penis.   

Me: Uh what? Why are gender roles represented through genitalia here? And why does Lucy have a sword too? Does she have a penis?  

Mason. Honestly I thought so too at first but I don't mind. She explained it to me as some kind of psychological thing. Maybe you don't get it because you're from a different universe.  

Me: Oh okay. So, why do you want to date Lucy?   

Mason: Well, I find her attractive and appealing. I think if we mated then she could help me fulfill my needs and I could help her fulfill hers.   

Me: And how can I help with that? 
Mason: Well she hasn’t logged onto the chat yet, and she definitely won’t accept a friend request from me. 

Me: Well how am I supposed to send her a friend request without her knowing you sent me? 
At that moment, she had sent me one. She started to type and I had to tell Mason that I’d see him later.  

Lucy: Hello, Magnus. So, Mason finally talked to you?

Me: Yeah, he gave me a long backstory to explain why he wants to be your boyfriend. Can you please just pretend to date him or something? I’d really appreciate it if you did because then we can get more insight on the originism puzzle.  

Lucy: Well sure, it can’t possibly be that easy though.  

I ended the chat and waited for them to do their thing. One of my activities I like to do in my plane of existence is to play hide and seek with myself by hiding things such as crystals or pendants and then wiping my memory of where I put them. My plane of existence doesn’t have an overarching theme or anything, it’s pretty much random stuff that I came up with. There’s giant beanstalks, sky castles, sky hoops to fly through, etc.  

It would be kind of nice if we could all combine our planes of existences together and have some sort of multiplayer dream world. Logan told me he had made a bunch of theme parks based on media he liked in his universe. Speaking of Logan, to spend the time until Mason or Lucy started to chat with me again, I tried to theorize if there were parallel universes and how they worked in all of this.   

I said that they’re on their own quests and we can’t interact, Logan disagreed with me and said that if he hadn’t reached The Nexus, then the universe would have taken longer to reincarnate and thus we wouldn’t be born exactly as we are, and maybe we’re just parallel universe versions of him.  

I asked how he would become Penelope, Ainsley, or Lucy and he talked about Lucy's weird tech stuff. I'm not going to question that. At this moment, Mason started to talk with me again.  

Mason: Okay, okay dude thanks. She told me about all the stuff about me that she had never noticed before. I owe it to you. So, what do you want to know?  

Me: Well you said that Janus didn’t want to say why he created the universe, so how did he create it?  

Mason: Ah well, he said that on the 100th incarnation of the universe, the current universe system starts to disintegrate. The next universe master is then chosen similarly as someone who reaches the nexus. However, the next universe master can give a Reality Charm to someone and have them reach a kingdom of eternal bliss.  

Mason: Janus said that he was chosen to be the next universe master when he fell in love with his wife, looking at her eyes with adoration. He gave his Reality Charm to her, by the way.  

Me: So are you saying that there is no true origin universe?  

Mason: Well I don’t know, neither does Janus. He said that he didn’t think of asking the old universe master. 
Well that just put a massive dent in my plan. Not only do I not know the actual source, but if I tried to become a universe master, then I’d be replaced by someone who could ruin everything I worked hard for.  

Me: Oh okay… do you know if the 100th incarnation of the previous uh… universe system(?) is accessible somehow? Through time hijinks or something?  

Mason: Ah, good question. I also do concede that this is getting hard to keep track of, I guess we can call them unisystems. Apparently, anyone in the kingdom of bliss can visit any previous incarnation. Including a previous unisystem.  

Me: Well how does the universe master know that about the kingdom of bliss? 
Mason: Well Janus asked the previous universe master about a bunch of things and then told me because I was the first to reach The Nexus.  

Me: Why didn’t he tell me or the rest of us anything?  

Mason: I’m special, Magnus Whitlock.  

Me: Stop with the mind-games, I already hooked you up with your crush. 

Mason: Just kidding. However, I can’t do much with her because we’re still stuck on different planes of existence. I did not really think this through very well. Which is unusual for me. I guess love really does make one blind.  

Me: Ugh, I guess Janus’s wife… we should really call her by her name by the way, may be able to lead us to the source.  

Mason: See the problem with that is that you need the Reality Charm to reach the kingdom. Also, her name is Emily.  

Me: Well, maybe we can get the Reality Charm if we stay in The Nexus until the next universe master comes along.  

Mason: That’s not a bad plan, but the thing I dislike about that is that we may get a lot of new folk in our unichat. And that makes me anxious.  

Me: Just deal with it, if we win, then we can reshape the universe to our whim. And you can be…not anxious!

Mason: That makes me feel as if you’re dismissing my feelings. 
Me: Well I’m not, I just think you should set them aside for now and focus on what needs to get done.  

Mason: I guess you're right. Let’s tell the rest of the group that we’re going to accelerate until the 100th incarnation.  

Me: Wait, this may sound dumb but can’t we just ask Janus to give us both a Reality Charm?  

Mason: No. When a universe master ascends to masterhood, they only get one Reality Charm. He already gave his to Emily.  

Me: Good to know.  

Something to know about universal incarnation acceleration is that we can view the past, present, and future of the current incarnation, but not the previous and future incarnations. This means that to skip an incarnation, we need to get the group to agree. Apparently we’re all in the same time zone or something. You may be wondering why I can’t just hijack the accelerator and do it without the group's permission.  

On that note, my unitablet has an app simply called Agreement, where it says “Do you wish to skip this incarnation?” at the top with an “Info” button to the side. In the info section, it says that the majority vote wins after 24 hours of the first vote, but if it’s tied then a random choice is selected. I created a group chat with the group and started to speak, first recapitulating the plan, and asking if anyone had questions or disagreements. 

Lucy: Well I guess 24 hours gives me enough time to see who the Necklace of Hell REALLY belongs to.  

The votes started piling in, but before the last one, there was a question.  

Logan: Okay wait, 24 hours for each incarnation? This is going to take so long, do you know any ways to speed up the process?” 
Second: We already got two important people to join, maybe Janus can join. It would be interesting if he did, although it'd reveal that nothing we say is ever truly private...  

I felt kind of bad for Second because at that moment, he actually did join.  

Janus: I know I have a limited lifespan, but I don’t want to die in just a few months. Is there anything you guys want that I can give you?  

Logan: Is there a way for us to travel before this unisystem to the previous one? 
Janus: Not that I know of. Look, I’m really sorry. All I really want is to live forever with my one true love. Unfortunately, Emily said she only wanted me for my Reality Charm. I created the nexus to find people that could help me. I don’t want to be betrayed twice. 
Me: Well, if we solve this puzzle, then we can all get what we want. I can even recreate your sentience, hopefully.  

Janus: That’s quite a big risk. None of you may even get the Reality Charm, and you may have to repeat this cycle again. And I’ll be gone forever.  

Ainsley: Listen here, kid. I don’t care what it takes for us to solve this damn puzzle, but we will do it. Even if it takes all eternity. We will remember your final wish, and we will ALL have a good ending.  

Now that I think about it, the next universe master may not even know about these planes of existence.  

Janus: You may actually have a chance. Good luck, I’m counting on you guys.  

With that, the unisystem’s incarnation counter started ticking up, second by second.  

Penelope: This is gonna be awesome as hell!  

Eventually the unisystem reached the 100th incarnation. 
Me: Okay, I can’t skip any more incarnations. I guess we can’t just make ourselves a universe master again by just being the only being in the universe when it’s skipped.  

Penelope: Hey, do you think there’s like a Super Universe Master behind all of this? And if so, is there a Super Super Universe Master?

Nobody responded. 

The group began fast forwarding through the universe until the end. You may be wondering what I mean by the end. The end of a universe is the last moment before it has to reincarnate. For the science fans, it’s some time beyond when the universe reaches thermodynamic equilibrium. This time, the new God will be a man by the name of Billy Beeswax Jr. He became the next universe master at the moment he realized he could tap anyones back and silence them, no matter what.  

I'm not sure how he got those powers. Usually, important events in a universe have a marker, but this one seems missing.

Janus: I’m counting on you guys. 
With that, the unisystem passed over to the next one and Janus ceased to exist. His final wish made him seem like any normal man. There may be some profound meaning to this, but I can't really find it.

1