Chapter 9 // Serenity
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9 // Serenity

Yuki felt a stream of anxiety as she walked down the dirt street toward the red light district. Nobody else was on the road, but some residents peeked out their pods at the woman with her children. The sound of gunfire, explosions and announcements filled the airwaves.

“What are you doing outside?!” an Omega police officer yelled from behind.

“Ah, sorry sir, I have to—” Yuki held up her badge with one hand while her other held her son's hand, his son held his sisters. The black cat followed in the background. When the man saw her badge, he waved them away dismissively and went back to his cigarette laced with amphetamines.

Yuki wanted to rush but that would make her seem more suspicious. They steadily passed underneath the red torii gate and went to the location Mocha described. Walk past the ramen booth, turn left at the end of the road, turn right at the second alleyway, follow until you see the neon sign for Eternity, make another left and let yourself in the building with the single gardenia flower out front.

Ichigo was sitting by himself in the building when Yuki opened the door. He stood up in a mix between subservience and uncertainty. First he had to discern who she was. She might be a spy, a government plant, or just some druggie wandering around. Despite all those possibilities, there was one truth: she was stunningly gorgeous… Unless that surgical mask covered up something hideous…

“Can I help you?”

“Ah, yes, um… the woman with the purple eyes?”

It was not the password, but it was enough, and there was no way he would turn away the two children with her. And a cat?... Kage strolled through the children's legs and jumped on the counter like he owned the place. Ichigo dropped his defensive demeanor. He instantly felt camaraderie with the woman, knowing she was a renegade too. He smiled and showed his teeth that were surprisingly white and clean despite his ragged beard.

“Yes, yes. Follow me.”

They heard screams from outside. They looked at each other in horror. He rushed over to the hole and waved the woman inside first, then the children. They moved unbelievably slow… Hurry, hurry, hurry! The screams grew louder and so did the ravenous growls and shattering of doors and windows. Ichigo picked up the cat and followed behind and covered up the hole best as he could from inside.

He shut the latch right before a gang of husks tore through the house. Their footsteps trampled above like a stampede as they climbed down the ladder, hoping no noise would give them away.

Yuki saw two kids standing behind a firepit in the center of the bunker. They were terrified! Their father fully descended from the ladder and their guard dropped. They ran up to him with hugs and jumped up and down. Bypassing introductions, all the children dispersed and started to play. Kage made his rounds around all the rooms of the bunker, as if searching for any rats to snack on.

Ichigo told Yuki to wait. He went down a hallway and returned with a forest-green stack taller than him of tiny pillows and thin blankets. He offered it to the nurse who finally took her mask off. No, she wasn’t hiding anything except even more beauty. Oh my, she is so very pretty!

“Arigato,” she bowed as she accepted the linens. She first made a cozy space for her children with multiple layers of blankets on the ground, then a spot for herself next to them.

“I’ll be right back, miss…”

“Yuki Kamado,” she smiled at him. He returned the expression and went back down the hall. He didn’t return for quite some time, allowing Yuki to get set up and comfortable. She stirred the firepit with the neatly arranged fuel cubes and metal stoker. Above the firepit were carved lines to filter out the smoke. Whoever made this bunker had intended it for the long run… There was a large hangar door at the end of the hall with a motorcycle parked next to it. Eventually she’d want to get some fresh air, but this was perfect for now… The children’s laughter warmed her heart and the flames gave her comfort.

From the main room Yuki smelled what she thought was chicken. Her kids were mingling with Ichigo’s and playing with Kage. She told them she’d be right back. They ignored her. She went down the hall toward the lovely smell.

There was a bare-bones kitchen with a tiny sink. Based on the overhead lights, Yuki assumed there must be some sort of electricity in this bunker. She was right; Ichigo was boiling a pot of water on an electric stove. He had tossed some chicken bouillon cubes inside and had a collection of meats he stripped from multiple MRE packets. That enticing smell was a stew! Her stomach got excited.

Ichigo was stirring the pot. When Yuki stepped in, he greeted her with his eyes and a smile. She smiled back but looked away at the kitchen and fiddled with her fingers in front of her stomach.

“What is your name?” Yuki asked, her voice gentle.

Oh, I’m sorry! No, not sorry, aiyaa….” He was flustered. Yuki giggled and peeked her head back down the hall. She still heard the children playing but wanted a visual confirmation. Motherly instinct.

“Ichigo Urameshi. Gomenasai, it has been a long day.”

“Yes, for us too. Thank you again, Ichigo.”

He waved away her thanks like it was not needed, but it did make him feel good. Yuki stepped closer toward him, tucked a strand of blue hair behind her ear and glanced inside the pot. Despite the scent of good food, he smelled her sweet, rosy perfume. 

“Here, do you mind a taste test?” Ichigo dipped the ladle and offered her the broth. Yuki blinked in concern. Ichigo took a sip of the ladle first, and Yuki’s fears were squashed. Past trauma. She took a sip and the broth warmed her cheeks and her stomach was dancing.

“Oh, yes, yes. Very good.” She smiled. He smiled and nodded his head a few times. Yuki bit her bottom lip and stepped closer. He stopped stirring and looked in her sapphire eyes.

“Is there anyone else coming?”

Ichigo shrugged his shoulders. Yuki nodded, “I see”.

“The children. May I ask, where is their mother?”

Ichigo tightened his lips and looked to the floor. He explained how she was killed while she was making tea at home. Official explanation: a stray bomb meant to kill some ‘terrorists’, but Ichigo never believed the story. Terrorist here, terrorist there—it was simply a label they gave to any dissenters. Yuki’s eyes watered.

“I’m sorry… My husband…” She explained how he was conscripted for the Omega military. He was to be stationed right outside of the walls to train and provide security. It should have been safe… But he never came home. Yuki was never given a reason for his disappearance, just that ‘terrorists’ were to blame. She held her elbows, comforting herself. Ichigo touched her shoulder. She looked up at him. No words… They embraced each other. The woman wept deeply. Many nights were spent crying into herself, crying into her children’s hair, crying into their stuffed animals, crying into the cat and wetting his fur… But it was different this time. A new reservoir of sorrow burst from her heart. Ichigo cried too, but kept a strong posture. They pulled away from each other.

“We… All of us… We’re together now. There are better days ahead. The exodus… I hear Genesis has many more children.” Ichigo offered an optimistic smile to the woman. This comforted her. Yes, hope for the future… She wiped her tears away.

Ichigo grabbed a tray and put six bowls on them with six plastic spoons. He filled the bowls with broth and carried it to the children. Yuki stuck close by him and they exchanged smiles and laughs. Both their hearts felt warm by each other's presence. Better days may be ahead… But today is lovely. I am happy in this moment.

0