{OLD}Chapter 3 : First Steps
146 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          That he was in another world was once again confirmed, as Owen came across strange creatures near the treeline. They were small, maybe two to three feet tall, red skin, and little to no clothing. They seemed to be wielding crude wooden spears and were stabbing them into some poor creature long since dead. His approach didn't go unnoticed as one of the creatures pointed its spear at him and shouted something. Fearing the worst, Owen brought his M9 up with both hands and yelled, “Don’t come any closer or I’ll shoot.” The creatures seemed to freeze for a second, looking at the object in his hands with small beady black eyes. One of the creatures let out a warcry and they rushed him. 

          Bang Bang, Bang Bang. Two controlled pairs and the two leading creatures flopped over dead. Seeing their comrades fall to some unknown force the remaining creatures fled without hesitation. Owen stood there, at the ready for a few more seconds before he was sure the creatures were gone. Letting out the breath he was holding, he slowly lowered his M9. In the corner of his eye Owen once again noticed a small red blip, willing it open a small screen appeared. Would you like to enable the looting feature?, “Fuck yes!” Owen exclaimed. The screen disappeared and Owen turned his gaze to the two creatures' corpses. After nothing happened Owen pointed at the creature and said, “Loot”, but still nothing. Walking over Owen poked the creature’s stiff skin and a window appeared. Loot Gobbo corpse? “So that's how it fucking works, I wish this damn thing had a manual.” Confirming the option the Gobbo’s corpse soon began to dissolve into particles, Owen quickly opened his Inventory to see his spoils. “A fucking ear are you kidding me.” Owen walk’s over to the other corpse to loot it as well, “Scout Gobbo’s ear and 10 copper huh, guess the screaming idiot was their leader after all. Hopefully they don't come back.” Owen says as he pulls the ammo from his inventory. Swapping his used mag with his full one he begins to reload, but stops as he sees shadows moving within the treeline. “I had to fucking say something” As the words left Owen’s mouth a small rabbit creature leapt from the tree’s cover and began munching on the grass. “I got scared of a dam rabbit.” Owen chuckles to himself “Alright almost to this place so lets get it over with”

          Pulling up his map Owen notices that he will soon be at the unveiled area. His stomach rumbled as he walked, “I know, I know. We’ll get food as soon as we get there buddy” Owen pats his stomach as shapes begin to form on the horizon. In the distance Owen could make out the shape of houses but something seemed off. Once he got closer he understood why, the buildings looked battered and worn. Windows were smashed, doors broken and splinted, and gore was strewn about grisly. “The fuck happened?”,Owen said as he readied his weapon. Slowly making his way through the carnage Owen couldn't help but wonder at what caused all this destruction.

          “Oi, who are you boy?” A voice called to him from further ahead. Following the voice Owen saw an old man in tattered leather armor pointing a spear at him. 

          “My names’ Owen. Sir, what happened here?” Owen gestures to his surroundings.

          “Was a Surge son, so can you fight?” 

          “I killed a few Gobbos on my way from the woods if that counts.” Owen shrugged unsure of how to answer the man's question. Hearing this the man grins and lifts his spear up. 

          “Good enough for me Owen, names Derec, come I’ll tell on the way.” Owen walked up to Derec as he turned and led him deeper into the town. As they walked Derec told Owen what happened, “Was a Lab Surge, over from the woods, happened during the day so most folk were in the fields. Gobbos and Bark Wolves tore into the town before most realized what was happening. Luckily the fields ain't too far so we heard the screams and came rushing.” Derec gestures to a large structure ahead. “ Got everyone who aint dead over in the storehouse, while a few of us checked the town for any strays we may have missed. Seems like you got a few of them for us.” Derek jests while opening up the large door to the storehouse, “You wouldn't happen to be a Priest would you Owen?” Derec asked as they entered the building. Looking around Owen understood why, most of the people inside were injured in some way or helping where they could.

          “No, but I might be able to help out.” Owen says as he opens his shop up. Selecting bandages another screen pop up appeared, Course gause that will stop any bleed effect and apply minor heal over an hour duration. Eying the price at only 5 copper Owen bought 20 of them, Confirm purchase Total 1 Silver?, selecting yes particles converged on the ground near him becoming a stack of bandages.

          “Dark Dae’s boy I didn't know you were a sage!”

          “What's a sage? Is that a problem?” Owen asks looking around the building and tightening his grip on the M9.

          “No problem's boy, just surprised really. Sages are people born with special magic, unlike those who study the Arcane arts. I thought you were a Mage or Priest, what with that weird wand you have.” Derec said as he pointed at the M9, “That magic you did to create things from Mana is something only Sages can do. So how do these things work?” Derec asked, gesturing at the Bandages on the floor.

          “It will stop bleeding and heal minor wounds, that’s really all I can do to help. I’m sorry I can’t do more.”

          “It’s fine son, this is more than anyone can ask for. Thank you Owen.” Derec said as he patted Owens shoulder. They then went around wrapping the Bandages around the wounded, and Owen realized he didn't need so many Bandages. Owen stored the leftovers into his Inventory as Derec walked back up to him.

          “Thank you for all the help Owen. I’m gonna get us some food.” He points to the back of the storehouse, “There are some wash basins in the back, go clean up son, then meet me out front.” After cleaning up Owen headed out and found Derec waiting with two bowls in his hand. Handing one to him with a smile, Derec asked “ So what are you planning to do now Owen? We’re having a meeting later tonight to figure out what the survivors will do, just wanted to let you know that you’re welcome to come with us if you want.”

6