{OLD}Chapter 5 : Decisions
51 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Immediately Owen selected the option to save the citizens. Why would he choose anything else he already helped heal the townsfolk earlier? It would just feel... wrong to forsake them for this lump of a man. Collecting himself, Owen states, “Well, from what I understand, our transport is Miss Luz’s caravan, so that’s our only choice. Some of the injured won’t be able to go on foot; they need those wagons. Since you don't look exactly injured.” Owen gestures casually to Leslie, sitting in his chair. “You look like you could use the exercise, go walk to your outpost. So Derek, now that we have that settled, what’s the plan?” Looking over, Derek seemed shocked by the sudden response. After quickly composing himself, Derek laid out his plan.

          “Well, Luz should have the Wagons ready to go in the morning, and Tayeb will assist with getting our provisions for the trip. We have to assume we aren’t coming back. People will need to take the necessities, since that will slow us down so we need at least 2 full days of travel to get to Fort Pleieu. Abandoning the village means we have to take the Core Crystal with us. With it, the caravan will be safe from stray monsters, but we still have to be on guard. I’ll leave each of you to your group, and we will meet on the southern road at first light.” Looking around Owen could see the others nod in affirmation. “Alright I’ll see you all in the morning, let’s go on home Owen.” Derek says as he heads out of the building. Waving off to the others Owen left the building and follows Derek, after a bit Owen finally spoke up.

          “Why did you lie about me?” 

          “Honestly, the last thing anyone needs right now is more to worry about. I have no problem vouching for a good man, besides we need people who can kill monsters. Leslie wasn’t lying when he said this town only has 2 combat classes. Having a magic user who can kill monsters from afar is a God’s blessing.” Derek stopped in front of a nearby building and pointed his thumb towards it “Let’s eat, get you some clothes, and that bed I promised. It’s easier to think with a full belly, plus since we’re family gotta learn about my cousin who got raised by bears.” Derek began laughing as he walked inside his house. Confused Owen stood outside the door until Derek called for him again. Snapping out of it, Owen walked into the tiny home. Once inside, he noticed it was scarcely decorated with only a small wooden table, a few chairs, stove, and two doorsOpening one door, Derek walked out with a bundle in his arms. “Still got some of my son’s old gear before he joined the Legion. You look about the same size so it should be better than that vest you got on.” Looking down Owen unequipped the LBV causing it to disappear in a shower of white particles. “Well that’s definitely strange, now I won’t go diggin in your past Owen, I’m sure your family hid you because you were a sage. That’s not illegal or unheard of, but I need to know the man they raised. We have to protect a group of people for two days, I want to make sure you’re up for that task.” Hearing the serious shift in Derek’s tone Owen looked straight at him. He had known this man for what; half a day, and here he was giving him clothes, food, and a place to stay. Derek was just a man doing his job, but he showed him compassion and understanding in his plight. He even called him family and glossed over his upbringing without batting an eye. I know this feelingOwen mused, it's just like when I first met the squad-leader. He didn't care who I was or where I came from. Just accomplish the mission, everything else is secondary.

          “I get it Derek, I know little about anything and you don’t want a mistake to cost someone their life. I don’t even know what my powers exactly do, but protecting people and killing some monsters, that I can do pretty well. The magic I know how to do is store and retrieve my stuff. My ‘Wand’ works by having a simple line of sight and putting a hole in my target. As for WHO I am Derek... I’m just a man who is trying his best to make his life worth something.” Owen said solemnly, spacing out from the recollection. Seeing him like this, Derek put the bundle down on the table before taking a seat.

          “Look Owen, helping people out is always a good place to start. So maybe once we get to Pleieu we can ask Luz to help me vouch for you at the Mercenary Guild. You’ll need two reputable people to sponsor you, you’ll have an old soldier like me and a licensed merchant. You’ll at least have a start, that will be your payment when we get to the city. So what do you say, we have a deal?” Derek asked as he tilted his head.

          “That sounds like being a soldier for hire. I’m not sure if that’s what I’m looking for Derek.” Owen said flatly. He didn’t want to get stuck in the same life as before.

          “Oh, no no no.” Derek responded quickly, “That’s just what we call it here in the Empire. Technically ‘The Guild’ is a neutral party that exists to help people deal with monsters, odd jobs people can’t get any Guards to do, or need an independent party’s help. Also, you don’t have to decide now. If you want something else, we can figure that out once we get there. I just wanted you to know that there is something in this for you. Not just old gear and a bed.” 

          “Thanks Derek.” Owen yawned out, “But right now I’m thinking that bed sounds pretty good.”

          “Sure boy.” Gesturing at the other door. “That room is all yours. I’ll wake ya in the morning so get some rest.” Nodding in response, Owen grabbed the bundle off the table and walked to the door. After cracking the door, Owen looked over and saw Derek absorbed in his meal. Chuckling to himself, he entered his dimly lit room. 

 

Announcement
Hey everyone, I'm Back. I know it's been about a year since the last chapter went up. Things have finally calmed down a bit in my life and I'm trying to get back into writing. As you may notice my writing style is weird because most of what I write is as a DM (TTRPG Game Master) I'm trying to get better at being not just a world builder/storyteller but actually conveying emotion and expression through words. So bear with me and feel free to critic and suggest if you feel like it. If not then just sit back and enjoy Owen's 2nd life in Mythis. 
2