12. Surprises
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nothing dared impede the sun's rays from the face of the gods. Eons of dazzling light saturated their human memories and made them forget the beauty of golden sunlight breaking through the edges of black storm clouds. When they looked upon the storms of our world, it was not greatness nor evil which flashed in their hungry eyes, but the breaking of boredom.

The gods' stares found me in my dreams. The god actually. The only one I'd ever met. She spoke of hope on top of that mountain. Hope that what the gods learned from our world could save others. To this day, I only saw the breaking of boredom when she looked upon my suffering.

Her eyes flashed and I jolted from my sleep.

It'd been more than a dream. The sensation was undeniable. It felt like Flare, only at least ten of her, raging hot as a wildfire.

I wrapped my hand around Leif’s mouth in our tent and held a finger to my lips. His wide eyes found mine. "We're under attack."

Leif didn't need an explanation. He woke Wren and they followed me out of the tent in a crawl. In the dim of night, a soft breeze feathered through the grass we’d trampled during our party last night. The platters, now empty of food, remained on the tables undisturbed. Empty barrels laid on their sides just as we’d left them. Leif looked at me quizzically, but I didn’t question myself. Someone was here.

Wren nudged me. A woman slinked through the shadows, carrying what looked like a dagger, and disappeared into a tent that housed some of the Prophet's warriors.

I crept forward when a rush of heat engulfed my body, so strong I thought for sure I’d slipped again to the eclipse. An incredible force ripped me off my feet, straight back between the tents. Leif and Wren only had time to turn before I’d lost sight of them. I reached my hands forward silently as my body flew through the air.

Tree branches snapped against me. The force jetted me through the woods and slammed me onto the ground in a clearing. Leaves and twigs scattered in a cloud of dirt. I groaned and pushed myself onto my forearms.

Flare stood before me, eyes glowing like embers in the darkness.

I didn’t have time for this. The camp needed help. Without giving her more than a glance, I jumped to my feet and sprinted for my people when I slammed into an unseen wall. Pain splintered down my face. Damn it.

“It’s not time to leave,” Flare said.

I turned back to her. “Let me go.”

She burned away the space between us with her fiery gaze. “You can’t run from me. You certainly can’t hide from me.” She strolled to me and breathed against my cheek. “Demon.”

I clutched her wrist. “What do you want with me?”

She plucked my fingers from her wrist and pried herself away with a haughty chuckle. “Dear Max…”

How did she know my name?

Flare sighed, as if she pitied me, or didn’t want to deal with me. “You think you can win any battle if you want it badly enough. That’s the curse of the naturally gifted. You don’t understand failure.”

I grabbed her throat, driving her back, fingers digging into her slender neck. “I asked you a question.”

Flare clutched my arm with a broken gasp. Flames erupted from her palm against my skin. I gritted my teeth and held tight, nails cutting into her now.

“Answer me!” I screamed in fury and pain. With the smell of my own skin burning, I could have sworn I’d slipped to the eclipse, the flames of that day licking my fingers. I dropped her and smothered my arm with my tunic. There was no time for this. My people could have been dying.

Coughing, Flare backed away from me, drawing her fingers back from the bloody claw marks on her throat. Fear shone in her glassy eyes. I saw all that I needed to in that one look. This was no warrior. Just a woman who wasn't prepared to face death.

“You’re afraid of me.” I snorted. “Looks like you’re in over your head.”

“Someone at the Sacred School should have taught you manners.” Her eyes flashed down me. “They raised a barbarian.”

How did she know about that? The only demons who should know about the school were the ones who trained on the Mountain of the Gods. There were only two routes off that mountain. As a Prophet or dead. As far as I knew, I was the only one to ever forge a new path for myself and it had nearly killed me. Flare didn’t look like she could survive at that school, much less make it down the mountain.

My voice came out like a growl. “Who are you?”

Flare covered her neck with her hand and wrapped her other arm around herself. “That’s not your concern. Be a good girl and listen for once. I’m trying to save you from yourself.”

“You really must want to die today. Let me go. I have to help my people.”

“This entire region is in shambles. This sorry excuse for a society keeps producing unruly children like you. Barbaric, angry, violent fools.” She raised her chin. “You’re better than this. Instead of wasting your life fighting against me, help me make this valley a safe place to live.”

A laugh erupted from my chest. “What are you talking about?”

“Max.” She bit off the word like a mother chastising her child, only she didn’t look that much older than me. “It can’t have been easy growing up with all those visions of your death. The eclipse is only ten days away. There’s so little time for you to redeem yourself. Focus."

Nash had called her a keeper of secrets. My heart beat wildly. “I don’t trust a word you say. I should kill you now.”

Flare eased closer with her hands raised as if she approached a feral animal she hoped to keep calm. “With what power?” She clasped her hands in front of herself. “Even if you could, it would be unwise. I’m the only person who can save you. You and that sweet little girl of Nash’s.”

I coiled my hands into fists. “If that’s a threat against a child–”

“I’m not a monster.” Flare sighed. “You and Nash are the ones putting her in danger. The Prophet of the Valley is not the only one you have to worry about. There’s plenty of world beyond this valley and changes are coming. Follow my lead. I’ll keep you and Nash on track.”

“I’m not following you anywhere.”

“It never works. What good came of your rebellion on the mountain? You should have stayed at that school and become a Prophet. You could have made a difference by now. Instead you’re playing mortal with this little tribe of yours.”

Rage coiled tight fingers around my heart. “Whose side are you on?”

“There are no sides. You’ll understand that when you finally grow up.”

I swallowed hard. “Don’t act like you know me.”

“But I do know you. I know you very, very well, dear girl.”

That feeling struck, the same kind Nash had talked about in the field. The familiarity of a dream I couldn’t quite remember. The sweat on my neck turned cold.

“That’s good.” Flare walked closer, holding my eyes. “You’re the one who’s afraid now. You should be as long as you’re not on my side.” She cupped my shoulder with a strangely gentle grip. “Don’t lash out. I know that’s your instinct. Think it through. Make the right decision this time.”

I couldn’t draw in a breath. “What, exactly, do you want from me?”

“I told you. I want you to help me bring peace. As long as we're ruled by one person, it will always fall to the worst rulers. The only kind of people who can take control of so many is someone who we don't want controlling anyone. Look at our highways. The roads were paved so that everyone could travel freely and safely. It was meant for trade and growth. Instead, they've become paths of war. The people should be in charge of them."

"How is it that you have the support of the Prophets when you're against them?"

Flare smiled. "You think I tell them that? I only give them the truths they want to hear."

"A guarantee that you're only giving me the truths I want to hear."

A smirk cut into her serious expression. "You're quick on your feet."

"That's why I know to never trust anyone else who's quick on theirs."

0