Karaccnar the flesh-eater
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One day we were awoken early in the morning by loud banging sounds, as if trees were snapping in half. I and many others ran to the center of our village, where we were horrified to see a large flesh eating plant in the midst of our village. For reasons unbeknownst to any of us, one of the chieftains had nurtured a Raczar plant in his house, right next to a temple to Quetzalian. It was the size of a house and had completely destroyed its walls, its massive thorn ridden tentacles extending far beyond it, and in its grasp were several children and the chieftain. The children cried and begged to be released, but the plant didn't understand, nor would it have cared. We thought about how to attack the plant, till the chieftain pleaded for us to feed the plant, a plant he called Karaccnar. And so we did, we fed Karaccnar our meat, he ate an entire wild boar, tearing the large pieces of meat apart in its razor-sharp thorn ridden mouth, then it sealed its mouth which filled with its dissolving acids, and so it was sated. It released two of the children and our chieftain, but kept the others in his grasp. We didn't know what to do and the chieftain made no apologies nor did he provide any explanation why there was a giant Raczar plant in the midst of our village now. Several considered moving and leaving the village, but the island was full, and being accepted into a different tribe wasn't easy, and not an option for most of us. Nor could we move the village and rebuild it, and all the surrounding farms. We decided to accept it. A boar every month was only a small price to pay, we could handle it. We reasoned with Karaccnar and everyday we'd switch out the children for different ones, so they could live relatively normal lives most of the time, whilst we still appeased its will.

Nobody dealt with Karaccnar much at all, we simply ignored it, save for the monthly feeding occasion, which became a ritualistic endeavour. Our chieftain would hold a procession and parade a slaughtered animal around town on a golden platter, whilst our musician banged their drums and hummed, then finally he would feed Karaccnar and we'd go on with our lives.

Some of us knew this wouldn't last forever, its size steadily grew as its tentacles reach extended further and further. That year during the rain season, the winds were particularly strong, and it blew off a section of the roof of one of the houses near Karaccnar. Without their roof, the house would flood and the people living there had no place to sleep, their food would spoil. Karaccnar extended one of its large tentacles over the hole, and protected them from the winds and rain.

It wasn't much later when one of our priests discovered a second mouth of Karaccnar, this one closer to the main temple. We fed it insects and later small animals as it grew in size. We nurtured it, for we didn't want it to harm our children or attack our village. At this point we were sure it's roots had grown too deep to ever be removed, but we prospered. Life was peaceful, and we tried not to think about Karaccnar.

1