Increasing desire
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the tri-weekly feeding ritual, Karaccnar had refused the corpses we bought. Everybody was shocked, and panic spread throughout the village, this could not be good. People feared what to do next. If we couldn’t please Karaccnar, its anger would be disastrous to us. Then it gestured with a child again. The chieftain understood. We asked for volunteers to be sacrificed, of course nobody wanted to go. An older man, an artisan, stepped forward. He was a popular figure, known for his skill in crafting beautiful wooden furniture. He said he lived a fruitful life and wished well for our tribe, and he would allow himself to be sacrificed. Karaccnar lifted the man with one of its massive tentacles and placed him in his mouth. At first the man did not scream, but as Karaccnar’s thorny teeth tore his body to pieces the man led out several cries before he died. I and all of the onlookers were horrified, Karaccnars hunger was sated once more, and now it demanded living sacrifices. The family of the man wept for days, and we knew this couldn't go on, it was too much pain for us to handle. We came up with a plan.

It was at the end of summer, and soon the great Quetzalian would return to hunt on our lands. We had had a fruitful harvest season that year, and our supplies had been increasing yearly. We decided to throw a massive festival in the spirit of Quetzalians return, and we invited the neighbouring tribes.

Despite their recent attack, we invited the tribe of fire, The Zuzuri. We also invited a bear tribe known as the Pacuki, and the serpent tribe known as the Hefika. They sent some of their priests and an entourage of young men and women, the plan was to have an exchange of young members, as we had done many years prior. Our musicians played their drums and hummed, as we danced and feasted around a large fire outside of our village on one of the recently harvested fields. The tents we set up were adorned with beautiful paintings, and tapestries were everywhere. On the edges savvy merchants sold special brews, furniture and clothing. Everyone was in high spirits. The outside tribe members wore beautiful ornate dresses and clothing, depicting their symbols with pride, and golden decorations signifying their high status. Then towards the end of the night, we captured them. We led all of them to cages. We had enough of them that we could sacrifice them to Karaccnar for some time and spare our own. They wouldn't be able to retaliate, after all Karaccnar enveloped our village and the surrounding fields. Several of the prisoners attempted to escape, but the great Karaccnar seemed to understand our deal, and quenched any escape attempts with its massive arms, making sure not to kill them, but allowing for their retrieval.

Every few weeks we'd sacrifice some of our prisoners as planned, but the supply didn't last as long as we thought it would, so soon me and the rest of our expert hunters were tasked with catching more members. We decided to target the Zuzuri tribe of fire first and most often. They had already lost many of their warriors in previous years, and their primarily agricultural lifestyle made them easy prey. They couldn't do anything about it. They had nowhere to flee, as their territory was confined to hills surrounding the volcano, nor could they feed themselves without its farms and their massive supply. Nevertheless they attempted to fight back, setting fire to our fields, and retaliating at night. But they were quickly subdued and we came to an agreement, every 3 weeks they'd send us 2 of their own for sacrifice, and in return there wouldn't be any war. Our chieftain, me and a few other hunters went over to their village to sign the agreement. Several of the women wept as we carved the agreement into the large stone statue at the center of their village. They didn’t understand the ways of Karaccnar, and it would be useless to explain it to them.

1