Chapter 19 – The Truth Comes to Light
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was night on the airship heading towards the site of the Hunter Exam's third phase test.

The slender yet upright figure of the boy dressed in black stood quietly outside the door, his handsome yet cold face full of aloofness. His dark eyes were still deep and unfathomable in the lights of the corridor.

Suddenly, the door opened and an old man with a topknot and neat beard that gave him an immortal air walked out. Seeing the boy standing outside the door, a look of understanding flashed through his eyes before he smiled kindly, "Oh, worried about your friend? Don't worry, he just played a game with me and fell asleep out of tiredness!"

Hearing this, the boy slowly nodded, but his cold eyes stared fixedly at the old man and his aura instantly changed. An extremely sharp feeling emanated, the imposing manner pressing.

The old man smiled silently.

"No need to be so nervous, little Chitose," he said lightly as he turned towards his own room. Chitose paused before following behind him.

"I'm so sorry about your mother's death." The old man suddenly spoke heavily.

Chitose didn't say anything. After a while, he finally opened his mouth, "Let's get straight to the point, Chairman Netero of the Hunter Association."

Perhaps affected by the solemnity in the boy's tone, Netero stopped and turned to look at the little boy whose bearing was now completely different.

"The interdimensional artifact has been destroyed," he sighed once he spoke, "I guessed it would be so after hearing about your mother's affairs from Jin... What a hassle. And we still have so many dealings with the other side, not to mention helping lock up those unscrupulous hunters at the Vengeance Prison..."

He searched Chitose with his eyes before they suddenly lit up. "Oh!"

The corners of Chitose's mouth tilted up five degrees.

Yet Netero soon looked away again, one hand stroking his chin. "No... that would be too impossible..."

Chitose watched expressionlessly as the old coot blatantly eyed him. He let out a cold laugh before directly turning to leave. He had barely taken a step when the old coot behind him became anxious. "Hey, hey! Don't rush off so quickly, little Chitose!"

Chitose ignored him completely, walking off on his own.

"Oh my, how unlovable, little Chitose!" The old man scratched his bald head in distress as he watched Chitose take another two steps away about to disappear from view. Only then did he hurriedly reach out a hand towards the boy. "Alright, alright, I know! I will definitely send the best hunter to teach you Nen! But the premise is that you have to pass the Hunter Exam!" Seeing Chitose finally stop, the old man let out a breath.

Chitose looked back at him with raised brows, his dark eyes bright. "I'll be waiting for my teacher."

Watching the black figure disappear around the corner, Netero still scratched his head in distress. "Oh my, so very confident? And still just as unwilling to admit weakness as before!"

He mumbled to himself for a long time before finally returning to his room. However, that child was indeed the only likely candidate on their side to awaken a "spatial" Nen ability.

But wasn't it him and his mother who damaged that precious interdimensional artifact in the first place? How did it end up that he was the one asking them for help?

***

The next day, 9:30 AM.

"Then, you have 72 hours for this test phase. I wish everyone luck in getting to the ground alive!" The green bean gentleman smiled as he finished speaking. He boarded the airship again, leaving the 41 candidates placed atop the tower.

Almost the instant he finished talking, Chitose concluded there must be a secret passageway on the tower roof. After all, getting down from the outer side of the tower would be too simple, at least for him since he only needed to channel chakra to his feet. The remaining method could only be a secret passage. Of course, he eliminated brute forcing through the floor.

He exchanged looks with Kurapika who also seemed to have an idea. Then after explaining his thoughts, they gathered Gon, Killua and Leorio before splitting up to each find a secret passageway. In the end, they discovered two entrances. Unsure if they would reunite after getting below, they agreed to definitely gather again after reaching the ground before triggering the mechanisms and entering the tower.

With Kakashi on his shoulders, after Chitose watched Gon and Killua's smiling faces change into the gloomy, sinister space before him, every muscle in his body instantly tensed up.

Kakashi immediately noticed this but did not sense any enemies. He secretly worried for his own powerlessness as he also became vigilant.

Sensing the tightening small paws on his shoulders, Chitose let out a bitter laugh.

Before his eyes could adapt to the darkness, a familiar voice sounded. "My, we meet again, cute little fruit~"

At that moment, excitement flashed through Chitose's black eyes in the darkness without him even realizing it.

Hunters would always subconsciously seek chances to battle opponents after all.

Yet he didn't expect at that time, just what kind of enemies that would make him lose his reason in the next few hours he would encounter.

***

On the other side, in the remote Hidden Leaf Village, the graduation exam for the Ninja Academy was coming up soon. The parents who were shinobi had or more or less already begun instructing their children.

However, among them, the little young master of the Hokage family and the daughter of the director of Konoha Hospital seemed rather lonely and out of place.

After school, Boruto slowly walked out the school gates carrying his backpack with a disinterested look. Sarada and the others were currently under their clan elder's guidance so they no longer trained together. Now he could only rely on himself.

His azure eyes blankly took in the signs on both sides of the street. Suddenly his gaze fell upon the towering Hokage Rock in the distance.

The last conversation he had with Chitose was at that place before the other left the village. And...

The handsome features and deep azure eyes that held hints of helplessness, that low and pleasing voice saying "You're standing too close, Boruto..."

The passersby curiously watched as Boruto's face abruptly turned red on the streets. He seemed to want to find a hole in the ground to hide in. Boruto wiped his face and his eyes suddenly lit up as he came up with an idea.

Part of Sarada's route home from school overlapped with Boruto's. She was rendered completely speechless seeing Boruto grinning evilly as he charged at the Hokage Rock. Helplessly holding her forehead, she thought, ‘Older brother that big idiot is going to start defacing the Seventh Hokage's head again. Won't you come back soon and teach him a lesson?’

She watched from afar as Boruto hadn't even started smearing paint on the stone face before getting stopped in time by the Seventh who had appeared. Then the two began a game of "catch me if you can". As she watched, the gaze from her eyes that resembled her brother's held hints of envy.

‘Father hasn't been home for a very long time.’ She retracted her gaze that had been fixed on Naruto. Her steps seemed heavier than before as she hurried home.

‘Father, do you still care about Kaa-chan and me?’

At the same time on the other side, Naruto created multiple shadow clones and chased after his son who had become more sensible and hardworking these days after Chitose came but was still exasperating.

Even Sai's ridicule of him being childish didn't stop him from definitely catching that brat!

Without using Sage Mode or other stronger abilities, Naruto, at heart, actually wanted to "play" with his son for a bit longer.

And also...

"That's the sacred Hokage Rock, you brat!! Don't run!!" Naruto shouted furiously with crosses popping on his forehead, fury blazing in his azure eyes.

Five minutes later.

In a secluded park, Boruto, covered in dirt and dust, heavily sat down on the grass with hunched shoulders, puffed out cheeks and back facing his similarly crossed-armed father standing behind him watching him.

Seeing his son act this way, Naruto's eyes flashed with laughter. These days, he had seen clearly how hard his strong-willed son trained from dawn to dusk.

He had matured. Naruto thought approvingly.

Having witnessed the vaster outside world, realizing his own insignificance and found a goal to pursue, the formerly arrogant and conceited boy's disposition had slowly settled. He was steadily becoming more reliable and his abilities obviously strengthened too.

But there was still a long way to go. Thinking this, Naruto took off his cloak to hold in his arms, then sat down beside Boruto as a father instead of the Hokage to ask his son, "I heard you want to learn the sword?"

Boruto seemed surprised by his actions. He turned to stare with widened eyes at his father's that were the same azure as his own, fully attentive and waiting for his answer. Then the boy who hadn't had a heartfelt conversation with his father since he became Hokage turned his head away somewhat awkwardly to look the other way. Both his crossed arms loosened to rest on his bent knees supporting him instead. He answered dishonestly, "...I guess so."

Seeing his reticent son, Naruto smiled. Unsure how to communicate with his son who was growing up due to neglecting his wife and children because of his busy work recently, he simply went along and asked, "You guess so? What does that mean?"

Boruto's eyes shifted about before glancing at Naruto. Seeing him looking earnestly and attentively at himself waiting for an answer, the corners of the boy's mouth unconsciously curved up slightly. His entire body relaxed. He contemplated for a bit before answering with some distress, "That is... how to put it... I did want to learn the sword before. And Kamizaki Yosuke who specializes in swords happened to be the one I took over the mission for. So I thought to ask him to teach me. But..." He hesitated here, seeming to have misgivings about continuing.

Naruto vaguely guessed what it was. "But what?"

Boruto frowned before finally turning to face Naruto directly. "I don't really like that guy. And later rejected him too, although it feels quite awful to do that."

Naruto was surprised to open his eyes wide. He understood his son. For his strong-willed son Boruto to say "it feels quite awful" about his own actions, it seemed besides his mentality maturing, that boy " Kamizaki Yosuke " had done something truly unacceptable to him.

Still looking somewhat dissatisfied about the matter, Boruto then scratched his head in vexation. Fury flashed through his azure eyes. "That guy always acts like he looks down a lot on his teammates. They..."

His voice lowered. Dissatisfaction nearly overflowed from it. "They sacrificed themselves didn't they? They were his comrades! How could he say things like 'useless people can't be my teammates'!!"

His eyes blazed with rage, making them appear exceptionally vivid. Naruto silently sighed after a moment. "I see..."

"One batch after another, even including his team leader... all of his teammates would quickly get injured or die accidentally during missions... Now, no one is willing to team up with Yosuke -kun anymore."

He exchanged looks with the still indignant Boruto, his tone somewhat helpless and low, "Yet, he himself is an exceptional shinobi."

However now, he had already been labelled by the villagers as "the cursed boy".

Naruto suddenly recalled something. He smiled and switched topics from Kamizaki Yosuke. "Speaking of which, there is indeed one very suitable candidate if you want to learn the sword."

Seeing his son's eyes instantly brighten dazzlingly, Naruto stiffened again. He mumbled to himself, "...That is, if that guy is willing to come back?"

***

"Tou-chan... didn't wear glasses last time he was home." Sarada stood by her mother hanging the laundry and tentatively spoke.

Sakura was completely focused on drying the sheets in her hands. She casually replied, "Hm? Ah, that's right!"

"Then does Tou-chan have poor eyesight? Times when he would wear glasses?" Sarada walked over, something flashing through her onyx eyes.

Sakura seemed to be at a loss from the questions. She stopped moving with one finger on her cheek, eyes looking up and to the right in thought. "You're right... his eyes shouldn't have degraded in vision..."

But she couldn't say for sure. Although he didn't take out glasses last time he was home, it was possible he had a pair on him. Ultimately, she could only somewhat uncertainly reply, "Mm, probably doesn't wear glasses."

"Probably?" Sarada lowered her head slightly, the lenses on her glasses reflecting light. "As husband and wife, even this isn't clear?"

Sakura deeply frowned at her daughter's barbed words. She stared sharply at Sarada. "Sarada, you're very strange today!"

"The strange one is Kaa-chan!" Sarada's voice suddenly grew louder. "Tou-chan promised to return in three months, but it's long overdue now! And not even a bit of news! Kaa-chan isn't the least bit puzzled? Or doubtful? In my opinion, Tou-chan actually doesn't care about us at all ba!"

"Sarada!!!" Her daughter's increasingly unpleasant words angered Sakura completely. Finally yelling at her violently punched the ground!

The very earth quaked. With Sakura's fist at the epicenter, cracks rapidly spiderwebbed through the soil. The shaking caused Sarada who was standing to stumble. Once her gaze met her mother's eyes, tears instantly welled up as she looked utterly pitiful.

Sakura was stunned for an instant. Her heart immediately softened as she sadly watched her daughter. She gently said, "I'm sorry, Sarada." But seeing her turn away with tears still flowing down her face, refusing to meet her eyes, worry rose and she didn't continue speaking.

Just then, the two-story house with foundations damaged by the shaking abruptly collapsed with a deafening crash!!

"Crap-- The mortgage isn't paid off yet--!!" Sakura who often destroyed village public facilities or buildings due to her monstrous strength and temper blacked out on the spot. She keeled over stiffly!

"Kaa-chan!!" Sarada was horrorstruck. She threw herself next to her mother, panicked as she looked between the rubble behind them and her fainted mother. On the verge of bursting into tears from anxiety.

Luckily nearby ANBU members came to help send her mother to the hospital. Shiranui Genma also hurried over to help so Sarada wasn't too overwhelmed.

After ensuring her mother had no major issues, she returned to their home now completely destroyed. She had experienced similar things before so she wasn't too frantic. First thing was to locate their valuables.

When it was just her mother, she hadn't felt much. But now that Tou-chan and Nii-chan who had actual awareness of these things were back...

If something like this happened again with only herself...

Hugging her knees sitting amidst the ruins, holding the family portrait she managed to dig out from the debris, Sarada gently caressed her father and brother's faces in the photo. Tears rolled down her sharp little chin one drop at a time.

It's so upsetting.

Tou-chan, where are you at times like this?

When Kaa-chan fainted time and time again, where were you?

When I burnt my hand learning to cook by myself, where were you?

When Kaa-chan secretly gazed at your photo with longing, where were you?

On my birthday, where were you?

On your wedding anniversary, where were you?

When Kaa-chan was busy with work leaving only me at home, where were you?

When I was sick, where were you?

When I needed you, just where were you?

After crying by herself amidst the rubble for a bit, Sarada shook her head and wiped her tears. She started looking for their other assets and documents. Suddenly her gaze stopped at where she had discovered the family portrait just now. Beneath the broken photo frame, one corner of another photo could vaguely be seen. It had remained hidden as a layer before.

She walked over and removed the wooden divider that had sandwiched it. The completely new photo that appeared made her freeze.

"A... bespectacled woman?"

Some time later, the faint murmur of the girl's voice softly resonated before fading away with the wind amidst the ruins.

***

Sasuke was shocked seeing the Sharingan with three tomoe in the eyes of the teenage boy who had collapsed from his lightning technique. His Uchiha clan crest on his back proved he was an Uchiha!

How was this possible?

Including himself, those with Uchiha blood should only number three now!

The wretched boy crawled up from the ground, gloomily staring at him. Before Sasuke could approach, he suddenly spoke heavily, "Uchiha traitor!"

Sasuke abruptly darkened his expression.

The young man's expression turned fierce. "You've brought shame upon the proud Uchiha clan!"

He even took a step forward, his blood-red eyes glaring fiercely at the silent man. "You killed Itachi!!!"

Sasuke's face turned pale.

"I will never forgive you!" The young man restrained the emotion on his face, returning to a cold demeanor, but his eyes still filled with killing intent. He stepped back, murmuring as if to himself, "Next, I should go meet Itachi's son... the true heir of the Uchiha."

Sasuke's face darkened in an instant.

Was he going to attack Chitose?!! He dashed forward suddenly, the blade of his sword reflecting the ice-cold blood-red right eye, aiming straight for the other's throat!!

***

Kakashi squatted on the edge of the boat, quietly watching Chitose's figure as he disappeared into the forest on the island, the venue for the fourth round of the exam.

In this round of the exam, he was detained by those examiners with the excuse that he was the so-called "talking beast," and having an advantage in the jungle would compromise the fairness of the test.

Just right.

After all the candidates had entered the forest according to the order of the draw, Kakashi jumped off the edge of the boat and, without a trace, sized up the surrounding staff. Seeing that no one was paying attention, he moved his four short legs silently and came quietly to the side of the person who had been staying in the cabin.

"Jin... sir, right?" He crouched down at the table beside him, his wise and calm eyes assessing the rough-looking but powerful man.

The man was sitting on a chair, frowning slightly as he looked at the forest in the distance. His deep green eyes turned to Kakashi when he heard his voice, and the two locked eyes. Then he smiled.

"Just call me 'Jin,' Chitose's master." He became serious, "Thank you for taking care of Chitose during this time."

Kakashi subtly frowned.

Although he knew that the other had a close relationship with Chitose, this parental-like tone made him inexplicably uncomfortable.

He had already been very serious about teaching and caring for his little apprentice like a child.

However, he immediately understood that the other person was just like him. Perhaps, due to the passage of time, he cared even more about Chitose than he did. With this realization, Kakashi relaxed his mood a bit, then continued, "Well, I'm Kakashi. You know I'm Chitose's master, so I think you wouldn't mind if I ask..."

He assessed Jin's expression, and upon getting the hint to continue, he went on, "The location of the third round of the exam was a prison holding extremely dangerous criminals, some of whom... are from another world, right?" His black eyes stared intently at Jin, not missing any hint of emotional change.

Jin didn't say anything, but his expression darkened slightly as he nodded.

"That world is where Chitose wants to go," Kakashi said with certainty.

Jin's eyes dimmed for a moment.

Kakashi nodded to himself in his mind: he guessed right. He already had a basic idea of what Chitose wanted to do in that world. The Uchiha were astonishingly similar in some aspects.

"So, one last question, please answer me." His gaze became serious, meeting Jin's probing eyes, "As someone who also cares about that child, can you tell me..."

He paused, recalling the inmates he fought with in the tower, the unnamed man who emitted a chilling killing intent and exhibited ruthless killing methods and a cruel personality, and the term he mentioned during his introduction.

"The Estraeno Famly, and the Six Paths of Pain incident?"

 

So, I always thought that Sakura's family's mortgage was entirely her own doing... Always demanding compensation, even a high salary would be tight (hey)

Chitose is about to learn the truth... What should he do about the vengeance for his father? Well, to be honest, I'm also very troubled for him.

Please follow/support us at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

 

 

 

 

 

 

1