Chapter 28 – He Wakes Up
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Can We Talk, Uncle Sasuke?)

Chitose woke up.

This was the first thought that flashed through Boruto’s mind when he saw the teacher at the door wave Sarada and him over while he was still in class.

Sarada ran excitedly over to the teacher who had called them, while he directly opened the classroom window and flipped out, leaving the teacher’s angry shouts and classmates’ exclamations far behind.

He raced and leapt over the rows of rooftops, heading towards the hospital at the fastest speed he could achieve. The wind rushed past his ears, leaving behind a whooshing sound.

He jumped down from the roof of the last building, ran across the street, passed through the hospital gates, then chose a window and climbed up the wall in three moves.

Just as he grabbed the window sill and forcibly climbed onto the windowsill, the back of his shirt was suddenly grabbed and he was hung suspended in midair. But right now he couldn’t care less about that.

He didn’t even look to see who had picked him up. He just widened his eyes in midair, looking at the black-haired boy who had been quietly looking out the window just now, and was now quietly looking at him, then broke into the brightest smile possible.

He really woke up... Chitose really woke up! He woke up!

“Chitose!!!” He shouted his name aloud, his voice somewhat choked up.

Chitose was leaning against the head of the bed, looking expressionlessly out the window before Boruto arrived, while answering Sakura’s questions about his physical condition.

His neck was still wrapped in bandages, but as long as he didn't move vigorously, there was no problem.

After all, he had been in a coma for a month, and during that time he had undergone the tireless and meticulous treatment of Sakura Uchiha, the number one medical ninja in the current ninja world.

Sakura held the clipboard, stealing glances at Chitose as she wrote. This kid, after waking up, was acting completely as if nothing had happened at all. After she entered the room, he even greeted her and thanked her for her trouble over the past few days...

“Aunt Sakura.” Chitose suddenly spoke up, startling Sakura who was lost in thought. She hurriedly put on a smile and lowered the board she was using to block her face to look at Chitose:

“What’s the matter? Are you uncomfortable anywhere?”

The black-haired boy looked at her with fathomless black eyes. Sakura couldn’t help feeling nervous as she unconsciously tightened her hands holding the clipboard. There was something different about this kid after waking up...

Chitose seemed oblivious to Sakura’s nervousness. He suddenly smiled slightly. Sakura was stunned.

“What happened after I passed out?”

“Uh... well, after I arrived in time, I was busy treating you...” Sakura said and paused at this point. She bit her lip.

Wasn’t she completely devoted to his treatment? The kid was seriously trying to kill himself at that time, not holding back at all! If it wasn't for Boruto stopping him in time, if it wasn't for her arriving in the nick of time...

If she had been a second late, or if the kid had bled a little more blood, then even if it was her and her mentor Tsunade combined, they wouldn't have been able to save him. Not to mention that the kid's heart had stopped beating several times midway. Thankfully he was safe and sound. She was almost scared to death!

Under normal circumstances, or with another patient, Sakura would definitely have roared by now. But facing Chitose at this moment, she just sighed carefully and continued:

“Then Boruto suddenly fainted.”

Chitose listened quietly.

“After I managed to stop your bleeding at least temporarily, we rushed back to the village for you to receive finer treatment. Boruto was also diagnosed by other doctors. They said it was due to excessive fright and low blood sugar, which was why he fainted. There was no major problem. Then your uncle Kakashi came back the next day and stood outside your ward to check on you. After that, you had been unconscious all the way until today.”

“Low blood sugar?” Chitose repeated in a low voice.

Feeling that she had said enough, Sakura turned to tidy up her things. Hearing Chitose’s words, she couldn’t help sighing emotionally, “Yeah. That kid was practicing all morning that day and hadn’t eaten lunch before rushing out to find you.”

Chitose fell silent. His gaze shifted to the bedside table, looking at the red rose inserted in the vase. He said softly, "What about that?"

Sakura followed his line of sight and looked over, somewhat puzzled. “Huh? This flower... Who sent it over?”

Unable to figure it out after some thought, she gave up and smiled at Chitose, “Well, have a good rest. You'll probably be discharged in a few days.” After saying that, she finally turned to leave.

Chitose saw her off before shifting his gaze back to the bouquet, then turned to look out the window again. Sensing several hidden presences in the shadows, he suddenly grinned a little intriguingly.

Afraid I might try to kill myself again?

At that moment, the noon sun was shining at just the right angle. Chitose squinted and looked at the azure sky outside. Then that blond boy suddenly popped into his field of vision.

He was being suspended in mid-air but the first thing he did was give himself the brightest, most radiant smile possible.

Chitose did not miss the split second of shock followed by wild joy on his face when he first saw him awake. Then all of that was swiftly blurred by the sheen in his eyes.

His voice carried not a shred of gloominess when he called Chitose's name. Whether it was his smile, his tone, or the sobbing tone in his voice, everything was filled with pure, unadulterated joy. Simply because Chitose had woken up, that's why he was overjoyed.

Looking at that blond boy's smile, Chitose suddenly felt like the other was just too cute. How could there still be such a person in this world, who has no blood relation whatsoever with him, yet would feel such simple, pure joy just because Chitose was safe and sound?

Chitose suddenly narrowed his eyes a little, feeling cheerful because he had just realized something.

That's right, simply because he was him – Uchiha Chitose, not someone's nephew, brother or anything else. Simply because of the person that he was.

It wasn't until a familiar lazy voice sounded in the ward that Chitose suddenly realized who it was that had caught Boruto.

Kakashi entered the room expressionlessly through the window and put down Boruto who had been struggling. Seeing his little disciple whose attention was clearly not on him, he secretly heaved a sigh of relief in his heart and casually spoke up, "Looks like you're alright now, huh Chitose?"

He had just been carefully observing Chitose, who upon gaining his freedom immediately plopped down to the side of Chitose's bed and was now gazing at Chitose with ardent, worried eyes. Hearing his master’s voice now, he raised his head to glance once at the expressionless Kakashi, and immediately recalled something.

He had directly tossed his master to the Hunters’ world before this!

He immediately furrowed his brows earnestly and apologized, “I’m sorry, Master Kakashi.”

The little boy wearing patient clothes made Kakashi unable to say anything more of what he had originally wanted to say next.

Boruto more or less guessed the reason for this exchange, so he didn’t mind Kakashi who was standing dumbfounded at the foot of the bed, not knowing what to say. He just carefully looked Chitose up and down.

In the past month, he had come to visit Chitose almost daily at the hospital, but seeing him now awake with open eyes still felt a little different somehow.

He had been on the thin side to begin with. Now he was even more emaciated, with the patient clothes dangling loosely on him, making his already huge eyes even more enormous now, such that one felt heartache just looking at them. His originally fair complexion was now a little pale, appearing almost translucent under the afternoon sunlight slanting in through the window, making him seem weak and frail.

—But he still looked as beautiful as ever.

—Most beautiful of all.

Boruto sat by his bedside looking at him. When Chitose turned to look at Kakashi, he could even see his long, straight lashes quiver ever so lightly with the movement, like a butterfly's wings.

He unwittingly felt somewhat spellbound, and only came back to his senses when Chitose's pitch-black eyes turned to look directly at him. “Boruto?”

He gave a start, his face instantly turning red as he stammered in reply, “Wha, what is it?”

Chitose didn't notice his abnormal behavior. He merely smiled lightly. “Thank you for the other day.”

Boruto was stunned for a bit before quickly realizing he was referring to when Boruto knocked away his knife that day. He immediately beamed widely at Chitose, “Ah, that’s only natural! No need to thank me.”

Chitose's eyes smiled gently at him, then he turned to look at Kakashi again without speaking. He merely lowered his gaze for a moment before quietly looking at his master.

Under that gaze, Kakashi soon sighed and walked to Chitose’s bedside to give him a helpless yet solemn look, “Well, I’ll let it go since you know you were wrong this time. But there won’t be a next time, you understand?”

Though he wanted to complain about rushing back desperately these past two days afraid that the kid would do something stupid again, then arriving back only to discover that he had indeed done something utterly silly. But looking at the child now... oh well, forget it. That’s what Kakashi thought to himself.

Chitose solemnly promised, “I understand. I’m very sorry, Master.”

Kakashi waved his hand to indicate that there was no need to bring up this topic anymore. Seeing the two boys in front of him, he had just wanted to say something when there was a sudden knock on the door.

Kakashi and Boruto looked over simultaneously, just in time to see a flash of red before it disappeared. They turned back again. Kakashi silently observed Chitose whose expression remained impassive before finally asking slowly, unable to resist, “What do you plan to do about Sasuke's matter?”

Silence fell in the hospital room. Chitose turned to look out the window at the sky outside, his gaze tranquil without ripples.

"What do you think I should do?” He asked instead.

Kakashi stood there for a long time before lowering his voice seriously, looking intently at Chitose’s expressionless profile, “I don't want you to live a painful life consumed with revenge forever, Chitose.”

Under his unwavering gaze, the black-haired boy turned his eyes back to look at him. His fathomless black eyes were still without the slightest ripple. He smiled faintly.

“Please call Sarada over. Thank you.”

Kakashi's brows furrowed almost imperceptibly. He finally turned and walked out of the room.

He could no longer see through this child now. Contrary to his expectations, he had thought that after the boy woke up, he would either have a lifeless look, or that he would be simmering with killing intent, intent on killing Sasuke. But never had he imagined that Chitose’s reaction would be so extremely tranquil, almost as if nothing had happened at all.

Outside the room.

Boruto closed the door and immediately spotted Sarada leaning back against the wall with her head bowed low beside him. Without waiting for him to speak, Sarada was already opening her mouth from that same posture, “How is my brother?”

Boruto impatiently acknowledged, "Why don't you go take a look yourself? Chitose wants to see you, hurry up and go."

He noticed the girl shrink back a little. She fell silent for a moment before speaking again, “Did my brother say how he plans to deal with the matter between him and my father?”

Boruto put his hands behind his head and turned away from her indifferently, “No.”

“I see...” Sarada lowered her head even more.

Boruto took a glance at her. His eyes dimmed for a moment, then he walked away on his own.

—I have no need to ask him that kind of thing.

He raised his head to look at the white clouds in the sky.

—Because no matter what decision he makes, I will stand behind him unconditionally.

The blond boy drew back his gaze from watching the clouds. His azure eyes that looked straight ahead were filled completely with determination, without the slightest hesitation or confusion.

***

The door of the hospital room was gently pushed open. Chitose, who had been watching the scenery outside, turned back at the sound and revealed a smile at the girl who entered.

Sarada stared blankly at him, somewhat at a loss as she stood in place.

The black-haired boy still had the smile on his face. He beckoned the girl over. Hesitating a little, Sarada slowly walked towards Chitose in fits and starts before finally stopping by the side of his bed.

Chitose looked gently at her, almost no different from usual.

Sarada suddenly felt her nose turn sour as a surge of tears welled up uncontrollably. But she desperately held them back.

Chitose gave a light sigh.

“I’m sorry for worrying you, Sarada.” He said softly.

Sarada shook her head vigorously. Her hands held against her chest were trembling slightly. It took her a long time before she managed to speak up despite her voice breaking, “I’m... I’m just so glad you’re alright, brother.”

Unable to hold back her sobs in those last words, she quickly covered her mouth after speaking. Several whimpers could be heard from her throat.

After she had calmed down somewhat, she lowered her hand covering her mouth and raised her head to look at Chitose. He was looking at her with some concern.

She finally voiced the question in her heart, “Brother... will you come back home in the future?”

Chitose was taken aback. The girl looked at him full of hot tears, worried and fearful.

His fathomless black eyes gently curved. Finally, he stretched out an arm and pulled his sister who was beside the bed into his embrace. His eyes that she couldn't see were tinged with some bewilderment and sighs.

Sarada lowered her eyes and reached out both hands to hug her brother tightly. But in her heart, she felt extremely anxious and afraid.

—Why aren’t you answering me?

After that, Naruto also came to visit Chitose. He merely laughed and asked how he was recovering, if there was anything he wanted to eat. Then he got an earful from Sakura who happened to be nearby, saying that Chitose who had just awakened from a month-long coma could only take fluids at the moment.

Facing Chitose’s regretful expression, Naruto shrugged helplessly in response. In return, the boy immediately broke into a smile.

Just like that, in the days where Boruto would come to the hospital every day to tell Chitose interesting school stories while Chitose gradually recovered, a week passed by.

It was the night before Chitose left the hospital.

He sat atop the Hokage Rock, quietly watching the lights of thousands of households in the village below. His dark eyes reflected specks of various colored lights, glittery and beautiful.

He gazed at the beautiful nightscape. Every night this past week, he would come here to sit on top of Naruto's stone head sculpture to overlook the entirety of Konoha.

His behavior did not escape the eyes of quite a few important figures in Konoha. Yet no one disturbed him despite feeling extremely anxious and unsettled. Everyone knew what the boy was pondering over.

However, tonight was destined to be a little different. His voice was indifferent as he spoke up to the empty space behind him,

“Won’t you come over and have a seat, Uncle Sasuke?”

Please follow/support us at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

 

1