Chapter 30 – Small Team, Small Team
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(The meaning of the flower is passionate love, with the meaning of courtship.)

Boruto was exceptionally excited today, because Chitose was discharged from the hospital. He specially took time off to help him. Even Sarada's disdain and mocking along the way could not diminish his good mood one bit.

He and Sarada walked on either side of Chitose, arguing about right and wrong while trying to ask him first. The black-haired boy smiled slightly and patted Sarada on the head.

Sasuke and Sakura followed behind, occasionally exchanging smiles. Finally, they arrived at the newly moved Uchiha residence. Sakura helped Chitose tidy up while Chitose sent the two bickering teenagers to the door to urge them to return to school.

Just as they reached the door, the three suddenly heard a lazy voice. "Well, congratulations on your discharge, Chitose."

Chitose turned around in surprise to look at the white-haired man with his hands in his pockets: "Master Kakashi?"

Boruto and Sarada also greeted him: "Uncle Kakashi!"

"The Sixth Hokage?"

Kakashi waved at them, then looked steadily at the black-haired boy. The decision he had made before had really relieved him and Naruto, and he couldn't help feeling emotional. At this moment, seeing this child, he couldn't help wanting to smile. When he thought that this child was his disciple, a sense of pride emerged from the bottom of his heart. He smiled with narrowed eyes.

"Yes, and then, although this is your first day out of the hospital, it's about time you got to work, Uchiha Chitose - Genin."

Boruto and Sarada were shocked and widened their eyes, then looked at Chitose. The named person didn't seem surprised at all. He smiled slightly, his dark eyes full of eagerness: "It's finally time for a mission?"

Kakashi scratched his head lazily and answered casually: "Well, I guess so. But first..." He put his hand down and looked at his little apprentice with a smile. "Go meet your teammates first."

"The traditional three-genin one-jonin four-man cell of Konoha, you'll get to see the other two soon."

Chitose had already walked over to him while he was talking. Just as he was about to nod after Kakashi finished speaking, he suddenly stopped: "Two people?"

The expressions of the two little ones behind him changed: "Could it be...?"

Kakashi looked at their more or less surprised expressions with squinting eyes and smiled. He lazily raised his hand, "Well, that's the 'could it be'. Please give me plenty of guidance from now on!"

He looked at Chitose and slowly spat out the last words, "My cute apprentice!"

Chitose gave him a sideways glance, feeling that having him as a teacher was a bit odd, but didn't show it. He just responded lightly, "Please give me your guidance, Teacher Kakashi."

"...You're really not cute. And suddenly calling me 'Teacher’  still feels a little weird, just call me back 'Master', okay?"

"Then what about the other two?"

"Well..."

Watching the two walking shoulder to shoulder towards a training ground at the edge of the village, Boruto suddenly looked at Sarada, "Hey, your dad should still be at home right?"

Sarada looked at him strangely. "Yeah, so what?"

Boruto's blue eyes lit up in an instant. He turned and ran straight to the girl's house, "You don't need to worry about it."

Sarada watched him, then looked at her brother's back, and her eyes suddenly turned cold. Her brother was lying in a pool of blood, but she was powerless. She never wanted to experience that feeling again.

She clenched her fists tightly and ran back home. "Mom, I have a favor to ask you..."

***

Chitose walked and chatted lightly with Kakashi all the way to a certain training ground. As he was saying something to his master upon entering the training ground, when his eyes happened to turn to look at the person standing in the distance, he was suddenly stunned. His footsteps stopped, and his words stopped as well.

Kakashi looked at him strangely, then followed his gaze. Seeing who it was, he raised his eyebrows and laughed, glancing at his little apprentice mockingly, "Hmm? What's the matter, love at first sight with her?"

Chitose silently looked at the girl in the distance, completely ignoring Kakashi's mockery. After quite a while, he took a step forward and walked straight towards her. After taking a few steps, he casually answered lightly, "Just that she looks like someone I know."

Kakashi raised an eyebrow at his back and followed after him.

Walking step by step towards the three wooden posts standing in the center of the training ground, Chitose couldn't take his eyes off the white-haired girl. Perhaps his gaze was too focused that the girl turned around. A pair of clean and clear crimson eyes suddenly appeared before the two walking over.

Chitose's footsteps stopped imperceptibly for a moment before he quickly regained his composure. Where Kakashi could not see, the corners of the young boy's mouth hooked up slightly, revealing a trace of self-deprecation.

The girl before his eyes had waist-length, straight white hair neatly parted at the bangs. She had a small red and black exquisite hat tilted on her head. Her big eyes were a dark crimson, clear and bright. Her palm-sized face was very beautiful, yet expressionless. She wore gorgeous Gothic clothing with red as the main color and black as the accent. The cuffs were wide pleated folds, the knee-length skirt had three tiers edged with black lace, and the collar had a red bow tie. On her feet were a pair of red leather boots and white stockings that highlighted her small feet and extremely slender-looking ankles. On the middle finger of her right hand was a ring, the small and delicate ruby ​​rose gemstone shining beautifully in the sunlight.

In short, she was a very beautiful and delicate girl who looked like a porcelain doll. Judging from her height, she seemed to be a few years younger than Chitose, but her facial features revealed that she would grow up to be a peerless beauty.

From the moment the girl saw Chitose, her eyes lit up slightly as she stared at him unblinkingly until the two came to a stop in front of each other. Only then did she avert her gaze and bowed slightly to Kakashi, "Lord Sixth Hokage."

Kakashi lazily waved his hand. "Well, no need to be polite, just call me teacher."

Chitose glanced up at him.

The girl obediently nodded and respectfully called Kakashi teacher before turning her gaze back to Chitose.

The two looked at each other expressionlessly. Chitose was the first to break the silence and said to the girl, "Uchiha Chitose. Just call me Chitose."

The girl silently stared into Chitose's jet-black eyes for a long time without introducing herself. Even her blinking was slow. After a long while, she finally spoke. Her voice was gentle and soft. If one did not listen carefully, it would be easy to not hear clearly, yet there was tranquility within, "The eyes and the surrounding aura...do not match."

Kakashi was surprised. Chitose's pupils contracted slightly, somewhat unexpectedly looking at her, "You can see it?"

The girl stared at him unblinkingly and nodded seriously, then added, "The eyes...should also be red."

Kakashi sized up the girl with half-closed eyelids, seemingly lazy, but his dark eyes were focused, completely different from his pretense.

Just as he was about to say something, he suddenly saw the girl's eyes widen slightly as she took a small breath, "I see it now."

Kakashi seemed to realize something. Looking over, his little apprentice had unknowingly activated his Mangekyou Sharingan.

His eyes revealed understanding and contemplation, and also a trace of astonishment. This little one actually showed her his Mangekyou Sharingan so easily?

The girl continued to look at Chitose's eyes. Her crimson eyes were no longer as full of probing and persistence as before, she just looked straight at his eyes when speaking. She said softly, "My name is Goko Ruri. Just Ruri is fine."

Chitose looked at her, deactivated his Sharingan, and hooked the corners of his lips, "Nice name." He seemed to want to ask her something but eventually gave up. His dark eyes turned to look at Kakashi instead.

As if having discussed it beforehand, Kakashi scratched his head at this time in a casual manner. "Well, you two have already introduced yourselves. I wonder what the other one is doing now..."

"To actually make even the perpetually late Master Kakashi wait for him, he must be quite a character." Leaning against a pillar with one hand in his pocket, Chitose's dark eyes casually glanced at Kakashi as he flatly remarked.

"Hey hey, is it really okay to make fun of your own master like this?" Kakashi said helplessly.

Ruri stood quietly on the side. Hearing this, she turned to look at Kakashi, "Master?"

Kakashi smiled and explained, "Well, that's how it is. But don't worry, I won't give any special treatment to this uncute brat."

Chitose paused for a moment, glanced at him, then seemingly casually grasped the hilt of his sword.

-- That's not necessarily true, Master Kakashi.

He imperceptibly sized up the other's head of silver-white hair. His dark eyes deepened for an instant but soon returned to normal without anyone noticing.

The three quietly waited for quite a while, but the fourth team member still did not show up.

Ruri kept staring at Chitose the whole time, with an unrelenting momentum that made even Kakashi feel ashamed. Chitose didn't feel too uncomfortable about it. After quite a while, he suddenly turned his head back to look at Ruri and smiled, "Can you see it?"

Kakashi glanced at him sideways and saw him hold up a finger for some reason. Ruri, on the other hand, looked blankly at the tip of Chitose's finger after glancing at it, seemingly puzzled as to why he would do such a superfluous thing, and nodded.

Chitose raised his eyebrows slightly. He casually waved his hand to dispel something, then carefully looked at Ruri's eyes for a long time before speaking contemplatively, "Your eyes are very special."

Ruri's expression did not change at all as she quietly looked at him. The next second, Chitose heard Kakashi's casual voice, "Ruri can only see the color red. All other colors are black and white in her eyes."

Chitose looked at her in surprise, then suddenly smiled. His dark eyes were bright, "The 'aura' around me, it's red?"

Ruri nodded affirmatively. "...Very beautiful."

Chitose grinned, speculating that her earlier stare was because his surrounding Nen aura was red in her eyes, so this child must really like the color red. Thinking so, he unconsciously reached out and ruffled her head. After doing so, he was also surprised for a moment seeing Ruri staring blankly at him. He put his hand down, about to apologize, when he suddenly sensed something. His body turned to look at a big tree not far away. The other two didn't understand, but a second later Kakashi also narrowed his eyes. After glancing at Chitose, he turned his gaze back in that direction.

Ruri quietly followed their gaze.

A bunch of branches on that big tree suddenly shook a few times. The next second, a teenager emerged from the foliage cover, standing on a branch leaning against the trunk looking at them with indifference.

Chitose was a little surprised to see him, " Yosuke Kamizaki?"

That boy with crimson hair, ice-blue eyes, and a short sword on his back. Wasn't that the Genin, Yosuke Kamizaki, who was supposed to escort him to the Hunter Association but was replaced by Boruto?

Ruri's eyes lit up when she saw the newcomer's red hair.

Kakashi looked at the boy with dead fish eyes. "Well, although you've been late for a long time already, I won't say anything since this is our first meeting. Yosuke Kamizaki...-kun, right? Do you have any dissatisfaction with this team grouping?"

Yosuke was silent for a moment before jumping down from the tree and standing under the tree, looking coldly at the few people, especially Chitose and Ruri. Then he looked at Kakashi and said, "I thought I made it very clear to the Seventh Hokage last time: I request not to team up with anyone anymore and complete missions alone."

Chitose's dark eyes narrowed as he looked at him expressionlessly.

Kakashi casually said, "Well, not to mention that you're still just a Genin and your strength is not yet enough to ensure that you can complete C-rank or higher missions alone, just the fact that you're being a loner goes against Konoha's regulations. And also..."

He spoke lazily with his hands in his pockets, looking at the boy whose eyes were full of resistance, but his eyes slowly curved into a crescent shape.

"...Isn't it very lonely to be alone all the time without even a single friend?"

Yosuke's ice-blue pupils suddenly contracted, and something flashed quickly inside, but he soon looked away with an icy cold tone, "...I don't need that kind of thing."

As soon as his voice fell, the air suddenly became silent and no one spoke. Chitose keenly captured the turmoil and complexity that flashed through the other's eyes when Kakashi said that sentence. He suddenly crossed his arms, a little interested in this new teammate.

Suddenly, as if remembering something, Yosuke turned to look at Kakashi. "I'm dissatisfied with the grouping. According to the rules, I can go to the Seventh Hokage to apply not to be in this group, right?"

Kakashi scratched his head lazily, "Well, theoretically, that's the case..."

Yosuke was slightly delighted. "Then--"

"But that's a right that only students who have just graduated from the Ninja Academy have. While you, Yosuke-kun, were ordered by the Seventh Hokage to team up with Uchiha Chitose, who graduated early this year, Ruri Goko from Sunagakure, and me, Jonin Kakashi Hatake, to form Team 3 this year. Isn't that right?"

He looked at Yosuke lowering his head and asked slowly, "Obeying orders is a ninja's duty. As a Genin for a year already, you understand this point, don't you?"

Chitose looked at the exchange between the two, his deep black eyes scrutinizing the boy, full of contemplation. To be honest, he couldn't figure out why this person would refuse such a team. Apart from it being a little abnormal for the retired Sixth Hokage to come out and be the leading Jonin, just looking at the level of this team, ordinary people would not refuse to join, would they?

The Sixth Hokage coming out of retirement himself...

Chitose's eyes darkened as he glanced at the little girl Ruri beside him.

A kid from Sunagakure. She must be a genius, and her eyes seem to be special, perhaps possessing some special ability. Is this gesture to show goodwill between the two villages while giving her special treatment?

And why did such a genius get sent from Suna to Konoha instead of being kept by Sunagakure?

Chitose glanced up at Kakashi talking with Yosuke. But that alone would not be enough for Master Kakashi to take action personally.

Chitose's gaze turned to the red-haired boy. He said before that he requested to carry out missions alone from now on. As a ninja, this was by no means a wise request. First, it would be difficult to cope with all kinds of dangerous situations alone without the guidance of a leading Jonin, and one's own development would also be limited.

And yet, the idea of not teaming up remains firm despite clearly being shaken when Master Kakashi mentioned "loneliness".

Chitose looked closely at him.

–Yosuke has an untold story. Something must have happened to him in the year since graduating to make him what he is now. And it seems a bit dangerous that it requires someone as capable as Master Kakashi to step in.

Hmm, maybe in the end, it's because I, the recently suicidal Uchiha that the elders are so worried about, am mentally unstable.

The black-haired boy analyzed the situation in a few breaths. Interest rose in the depths of his eyes.

Yosuke was silent for a long while before raising his head to look at Kakashi, "I understand your rules, Lord Sixth Hokage. What you value most is teamwork. Hurting companions is what you hate most, right?"

Kakashi had his hands in his pockets and raised his eyebrows at hearing this. "Your information is very adequate."

Hearing that he didn't deny it, the corners of Yosuke's lips curled coldly. When he looked at Chitose and Ruri again, his aura suddenly soared, and the intermittent arcs of lightning around him grew even bigger.

Chitose's pupils contracted slightly as he stood straight and looked at him. Ruri also subtly became wary with her left hand on the ring on her right hand.

Kakashi watched the boy who was ready to attack his newly acquainted team members with half-closed eyes. He didn't seem to have any intention of stopping him at all.

Finally, Yosuke made his move. With a speed almost impossible for a Genin to possess, he rushed to Chitose in the blink of an eye wrapped in arcs of lightning, his eyes as cold as extreme ice.

"Weaklings can't be my teammates!"

The black-haired boy looked at the thunder-shrouded Yosuke with the corners of his lips hooked up in a slightly ferocious arc. In an instant, dense killing intent erupted from his body, instantly overwhelming Yosuke's momentum, causing the other two little ones on the scene to freeze their actions at the same time, making it difficult even to breathe, cold sweat streaming down.

Kakashi took a few steps back with droopy eyelids, looking up casually at the sky, utterly calm, and even having the mood to admire.

After all, they're ninjas of the peaceful era. Hmm, I hope Chitose, who was just told to be weak, won't be too heavy-handed.

***

In the distance forest, flashes of flames interspersed with arcs of lightning suddenly flashed in broad daylight, not visible clearly.

Boruto seemed to sense something and looked up in that direction, but only saw the lush forest and a few birds taking flight.

"What's the matter?" A cold voice rang out beside him, drawing back his attention.

"Uh, no, nothing." He turned his head back to look expressionlessly at the black-clothed man in front of him, scratching his head awkwardly, "Please just agree to accept me as your disciple."

But Sasuke was clearly not moved by his pathetic state. "I told you, first learn your father's signature Rasengan, then come talk to me about officially becoming my disciple."

Boruto pouted stealthily.

During the incident with Uchiha Shin, he could see that this man before him was very powerful. Adding that he was said to be on par with his dad, he had the idea of officially becoming his disciple. First, he wanted to take a path completely different from his dad's. Secondly... His azure eyes dimmed.

The scene of the black-haired boy lying pale in a pool of blood occasionally appears in his dreams since then.

He couldn't help thinking that if he could be more reliable and become someone that person could confide in and seek solutions from when in pain, maybe he wouldn't have done something so extreme?

Boruto's sea-like azure eyes gradually faded from their desolation and were replaced by deep, pure and ardent love built upon firm determination.

--One day I will become someone Chitose can rely on, then walk alongside him.

--I swear I will definitely achieve it.

The blonde boy secretly made himself a goal in his heart to achieve, and from that day on, tirelessly worked towards it without knowing fatigue.

At that time, he had only just discovered his unusual feelings for the other party. Although he was still young and immature, his impulsive personality focusing only on the present had already prompted him to take steps toward getting closer to the other party without much thought.

He did not consider the correctness of such feelings, did not consider what others might think, and did not even consider the other's feelings towards himself.

He was just acting on his own simple, vague yet astonishingly fiery and sincerely pure affection, wanting to get closer to him, to have a place in his eyes, to have him need him, just like that. So much so that later, when he gradually precipitated these feelings in the constant pursuit, making it a deeper, if more bitter, affection that would no longer change over time, only then would he suddenly realize and be deeply grateful for having taken those unthinking first steps back then.

And now, Boruto the teenager has only just taken the first step on that long journey. He looked at Sasuke and hesitated before asking, "...Why did you..."

Facing the single black eye looking over at him, his whole body stiffened, but he still gritted his teeth and continued, "...Why did you kill Chitose's dad?"

The air seemed to fall silent for a second. Sasuke looked deeply, deeply at this child whom he had already acknowledged in his heart would one day be his disciple.

After a long while, just as Boruto was about to freeze stiff in the icy aura he emitted, he closed his eyes and turned away, leaving behind only an emotionally indiscernible yet irrelevant sentence that floated to the boy's ears.

"It's not time yet."

--Right now, you are all still not mature enough.

The blonde boy stared doubtfully in the direction he had left for a long time before ruffling his hair in frustration, "It has to be the Rasengan no matter what, huh!"

At the same time, the black-haired girl of the same age had clearly had a similar conversation with her mother.

Sakura rubbed her daughter's head, complexity in her green eyes that the girl now could not yet understand.

"You'll understand when the time comes."

"Your father killing Chitose's father was not a simple matter. You'll understand when the time comes."

She repeated the last sentence. Sarada listened, feeling a little unwilling, but more confused.

After an unknown period of time, the black-haired boy with clothing burnt by lightning came to Yosuke’s house with him after school.

He keenly noticed the rows of red flowers placed at the door. His dark eyes narrowed as he casually asked, "Those are...?"

Yosuke looked over, puzzled, following his gaze. Recognizing what they were, he laughed.

"Those are red roses."

He mysteriously moved closer to his already graduated friend and smiled, "The meaning is passion, with connotations of courtship."

 

If you like our content, please support. Thank you.
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

1