Chapter 3: Destabilization
67 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Destabilization 

Day 2

My eyes opened to the sound of a commotion. Something was happening outside the cave. I had slept quite well last night, considering it was my first day as a wolf and all.

The apocalypse had increased my adaptability.

I rose up from my spot, the farthest corner of the cave, and looked around.

Cub B and C were still wedged together in the centre of the cave, sleeping deeply. Cub B lay on its side, allowing Cub C to rest its head on its belly. Their breathing was even and soft.

They were both female cubs, so perhaps they felt more comfortable around each other.

I rolled my eyes and left the cave, dragging my feet carefully through the roots that stuck out of the soil. Now that I saw this cave in daylight, it looked very different from before.

I mean, more messy. A strong odour of unrine soiled the wall of the left, while on the right somehow green vines were growing upwards.

I hurried out of there.

As soon as I exited the cave, I came across the source of the commotion.

The females were fishing in the creek.

Alpha's silver-white fur glistens in the dappled sun's light, as she crouched by the stinking creek water. Her eyes were focused on the water's flow as she patiently waited.

Alongside her Beta, whose whole head was inside the water, sat still at the bank. Her body absolutely still resembling a snowy lump.

She only pulled out her head when it became unbearable, in intervals of around 40 seconds.

Around her, the playful cubs D and E frolicked in the tall grass, occasionally pouncing on each other.

These idiots.

Does this creek really have any fish though? Besides, why were they fishing? Don't tell me they didn't go hunting in the dusk.

Either way, it was a strange way to fish.

I walked to the creek and licked its surface, trying to drink water. Though this water was smelly and translucent, I couldn't hope to find any better source of water. Besides, after eating that thing last night, nothing could disgust me.

This water was slightly sour. Acidic pH perhaps, I chugged it down my throat immediately.

I waited for the system notification, but nothing happened.

So, drinking water didn't give me any kind of points? Thought so.

"SPLASH ~!"

Beta pulled out her head in an instant, making splashes of water fly everywhere. Some even got on my fur.

I just rolled my eyes again, seeing that her jaw was still empty. They hadn't caught a single fish yet.

It seems like I would have to find today's food myself.

"Huff Huff.."

Just as I was thinking about trying to eat the grass, a small huffing sound turned my head around.

Through the russling blades of giant blue grass, Cub A came running towards us from the opposite direction of the den.

"What was he upto all this time, and why is he in such a hurry?"

He was making a strange noise, a noise that the other wolves immediately understood. Everyone but me.

Alpha and Beta immediately stopped playing with fish and ran towards A. They growled at each other in their beastly language.

After that, all five of them broke out in a series loud  howls. Their eyes locked in the direction Cub A came from.

"Howl! Howl!"

"Hooooowwwll~"

The little D and E were also trying their best to howl, but their sound could fade among their mothers' voices.

Not long after, similar howls started erupting from the opposite side as well. Now I understood what was happening.

A wolf pack showdown!

Each wolf pack has its own turf and territory for hunting and sheltering purposes. They mark this territory by unrine, faeces, rubbing their scent on rocks and trees, etc.; that's not the important part.

So, what happens when a pack leader dies?

A new leader will emerge from the remaining pack. But if this new leader turned out to be weaker than the previous one, Other pack leaders would attack them to seize territory and females.

Apparently, another wolf pack found out about the death of the male wolf.

The opposite howls became louder and louder until eventually their footsteps could also be heard.

They were approaching here very fast.

"What the hell am I doing? I should get out of here."

I didn't know what would happen when they got there. There is no adult male in this pack, so a fight is less likely.

Sure, in some packs, females are the dominant ones. But seeing alpha and beta struggle so much without catching a single fish, I couldn't rely on them.

Moreover, the approaching footsteps didn't sound like a small pack's.

"HOWL!!~~" The female's didn't stop there howls.

Seeing how they were trying so hard to scare them away by howling, in appreciation of their courage, I decided to stay.

Like I said, the apocalypse had made me tough.

Soon they came into sight. A pack of grey wolves, a slight darker shade than this pack. One, two, three...

Around 18 wolves surrounded us from all directions in a matter of time.

Behind us was the creek.

Alpha and Beta had stopped howling a while ago as a huge, about 8-foot-tall, male wolf with battle scars all over his face stepped forward. He was the biggest in his pack, so obviously.

He was their leader!

Now, what would you do? Show me your true intentions.

"HOOOOWWWWWWLLLLLLLL!!!~"

Without warning, leader made the loudest noise I'd heard in my life.

Louder than when my living room had exploded.

If he wasn't howling at the sky, I was sure my ears would have bled.

When he stopped his howl, it was followed by the pin-drop silence from all wolves. Both ours and theirs as well. The leader had displaced his absolute strength.

Before long, his fierce yellow eyes got locked on alpha and beta. He opened his mouth and then closed it several times.

They both returned his eye contact. Showing an unyielding stance.

After exchanging a few growls, the leader broke eye contact and looked around.

Not far from Alpha and Beta, Cub A was shivering in fear; its bodies froze up due to the intensity of the situation. But Cub C and D were a bit more energetic, but apart from their faint growling towards the leader, they didn't do anything.

"No, you idiot, don't look into his eyes."

I sighed in my mind. It was Cub E who was doing this foolery. Did he not know what it means to make eye contact in the Beast Kingdom?

The leader wolf slowly raised his huge paw in the air, and in another moment, blood flowed into the blue grass.

Females were an asset to the pack, but male cubs of another rival wolf? They were just too repulsive and unnecessary.

My heart stopped for a split-second. It happened too fast. Alpha and Beta were the first ones to react; they pounced at the leader to save Cub D at least.

It was in vain, though.

Another paw stricked, more blood flowed through the grass.

The surrounding was filled with mournful howls. A desperate struggle from Beta unfolded. But she couldn't do anything to the leader. Alpha had already decided to retreat, she ran towards the den to find Cub B & C. Cub A had disappeared from its place.

Next, the leader looked at me.

I was male, So I was in danger.

Without another thought, while Beta were still trying to resist, I decided to escape.

The creek in front of me wasn't too wide—four feet at best. I took a few steps back before charging forward and jumping over to the other side.

// Mundane stunt bonus: + 1 XP //

I didn't stop; I kept running. A loud howling, growls, and cries came from behind me. My heart beated from a strange place.

I didn't stop.

// Ran for 100 metres: +1 stamina, +1 speed //

Soon. I disappeared in the blue grass.

To be continued.

5