Chapter 12
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An expedition force was being organised. Leofric took charge of it.

For once, Jack would take a step back and allow his subordinates to prove themselves. He allowed them to prepare whatever they needed for going to that island in the north.

In the meantime, Jack appointed a trade commissioner. He wanted livestock from that village and he had some of the things they wanted such as flour. Instead of firewood, they had charcoal.

Jack wasn’t sure if the villagers would accept this but that was the problem his trade commissioner had to deal with.

As any good leader, delegating is very important.

He wanted to unwind. So he decided to have Octavia over for dinner. Yes he remembered Pec’s advice but he believed it wouldn’t be that serious.

So yeah, he was going to that dinner.

He went back to his room and put on the nicest robes he had in his [Inventory].

He took his seat and waited for her at the dining table. A half an hour passed.

A knock from the door.

“Yes?” Jack cried out.

“It’s me, my lord,” he heard the voice of Octavia.

“You may enter,” he said whilst standing up.

Octavia entered wearing a blue silk dress with gold embroidery. She had a white scarf around the back of her head that flowed gracefully as she walked by.

Jack pulled up a chair for her.

Then he noticed she wasn’t walking towards him. Octavia was on the ground kneeling, her face turned down.

“Why are you on the floor?”

“I’m paying my respects, my lord.”

“Huh… I think you can… rise?” he said awkwardly.

Octavia slowly stood up.

She kept her face lowered down. Why was she being overly deferential?

“Why are you not looking at me?” Jack asked her.

“The last time we met, I had upsetted you greatly that you… wished to forget my name.”

“How many times must I tell you that I wasn’t upset with you.”

She winced. Jack realised that he had increased his voice. Shit.

“Come, sit down,” he told her as he held a chair for her.

She sat down and Jack went to take his seat.

Dinner was served quickly thereafter. The main meal was roasted beef that melted in the mouth.

It was rather delicious.

“So where do you see yourself in ten years?” Jack tried striking up a conversation.

Octavia smiled, “Well hopefully by then, I’d be raising your son.”

“Son?”

“Of course a son, my lord,” she insisted. “I’m sure he’ll share the colour of your eyes.”

“So you want children…”

Octavia knitted her brows, “Don’t you, my lord? Don’t you wish to have an heir to carry your legacy.”

Jack hadn’t thought that far. Who knows, he could return to his world after all this.

He shrugged, “An heir… I’m still too young to be having kids.”

Octavia chuckled, “You’re 25 years old.”

“25 years is still young.”

Octavia laughed loudly, “My mother had my eldest brother at 15. She had me when she was 17. I’m already 22.”

Right, Jack felt silly now. He wasn’t living in the modern era whereby people chose to have children later in life and instead focus on their careers first.

“You speak with warmth about your mother. Were are you close to her?”

Octavia stopped eating.

Did he say something wrong?

“I’d rather not talk about my family, my lord,” she strained a smile.

“This roast beef is really nice,” Jack said, changing the topic.

“Indeed. The [Cooks] have outdone themselves.”

The two talked about random things. Topics ranged from food to the weather.

After they had dessert, Jack was ready to call it a night. He escorted Octavia to the door.

“You’ve changed, my lord,” Octavia suddenly said.

“What do you mean?”

She chuckled, “You seem more interested in work than me. The other consorts have also picked up on it. You haven’t spent a night with anyone.”

“The sudden transportation has kept me… busy.”

“I didn’t mean to upset you, my lord. I spoke too freely to you, forgive me. I forgot to return your bracelet.”

Bracelet?

“What bracelet?” Jack asked.

Octavia pulled out a silver bracelet from her inner pocket.

Jack’s heart stopped for a moment at the sight of the bracelet.

“Where did you find it?” he asked her.

“I took it while you were asleep. I forgot to return it to you after you woke up.”

Jack held the bracelet in his hands. While he held it, the bracelet glowed bright red.

He smiled. This was the key that would get him back home. He knew that it was the cause that brought him into this world. Thus, it would be the thing that’d take him back home.

“I’m glad you’re happy, my lord. Bringing a smile to your face warms my heart,” Octavia smiled at him.

Jack placed the bracelet into his [Inventory].

“I’m the happiest man in the world right now,” Jack grinned.

Jack kissed her. When he pulled his lips away from hers, they were both surprised at his actions.

“I don’t know what got into me,” Jack chuckled awkwardly.

“Well I hope to see this side of yours more often,” she laughed.

And so he kissed her again. Somehow they found themselves on the bed.

Clothes were ripped off and any plan of her leaving was forgotten about.

0