Attack!
232 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The planet of Tenare had a thick atmosphere camouflaged by soupy dark clouds. A flying machine cut a path through powered by the magma crystals burning bright behind. The pilot's light cloak flapped against the fast winds that whistled through cracks in the cockpit. This was Shafe's first real mission in the air, and was only supposed to be a simple scouting affair. Thankfully he had the guidance of the seasoned copilot Bob sitting in the only other seat onboard. They had been sent to observe, and report any disturbances observed from above.

The small aircraft was piloted by two wooden foot panels for rudders to change horizontal directions, and two levers for vertical hand control. Learning to fly was a process that required both good strength, and intelligence from the operator. In addition to the rigorous training in the academy a cadet could not graduate until a year was spent stationed at the castle Uput doing drills, and short gliding off the walls. The same impenetrable walls guarded the edge of the kingdom from the dangers that waited in the lands humans had not yet tamed.

The aircraft hit a patch of turbulence as it descended through the cloud cover that blocked vision. The hull violently shook, throwing a pinup picture to the rear after the pair of rabbits' feet that had come unglued. The aircraft steadied itself as the desert ground revealed below. Shafe adjusted his flying goggles, removing the bug splat with a few wipes of his hand.

"The engineers really ought to plug these holes," he yelled.

A mining operation long abandoned revealed itself as the descent continued. This great metal building that had once been a hub for human activities has now collapsed and been retaken by the dry vines of nature. The view opened to orange sand, rocks, and canyons getting closer as the distance shrunk. A kangaroo bounced into a dark spot while Bob mumbled an unintelligible response.

The ground below was a wild zone home to many animals, and none of them got along. Everyone knew a scary story about the nasty shape-shifting shadows said to sliver throughout this vast desert like a cloud of smoke. An extremely slow moving monster that slept most of the day, but nothing could be done once it transformed into something else to ensnare helpless prey. That wasn't even the only reason that working in this wild part of the kingdom was a dreaded task.

The aircraft slammed into turbulence again. The pilot tilted his head to catch the rear view mirror, and a near fatal heart attack from shock. A mass of fur and feathers with claws dug in near the rudder. The razor-sharp talons moved in, shaving off the screaming rear operator's head. Shafe was still alive in the front seat, his face scrunched up under pressure of the throat threatening to shut off all air flow from the G-forces. The ground was getting closer as the vehicle quickly made a mad descent to a fiery crash.

Shafe pulled upwards straining to use all his muscles. The flight path evened out moments before certain impact. He looked back again as the large hawks beak ripped into the metal pulling out a chunk to snack. The barren desert soil formed a mountain towering above. Desperate times called for desperate measures of trying to throw off the attacking creature. He pulled a lever bolted to the floor fully upright uncapping the forces of a twin burning magma crystals. The vehicle shot to the sky and sideways, nearly swiping the large mountain of orange rocks. The edges of vision began to grow increasingly black vignettes, as every moment threatened to become the last.

Nearby on the grounds of the castle Uput society functioned as normal. The groundskeepers dragged away the green leaves that had fallen in the night. The three men attached themselves along the veins, and slowly dragged the ginormous leaf along the path to the compost destination. Nearby the markets bustled with the ever churning exchanges of coins for wares. The band started their instruments, with the giant pounding away on the Terp music crystal strapped to his keg of a stomach using padded drumsticks to keep time. The keys played their crystals providing melody as the horns began to blow triumphantly.

The king surveyed the population from above on a balcony. Mardin the 4th was surrounded by his entourage of the coolest cats in the kingdom. They slung blades, worked dice, cast spells, or brewed potions. His senior-ranking mutant bodyguard had a scarred scaly, disfigured-body made up of tiny bones called osteoderms. A lizard dressed to kill in dwarf-forged plate armor with human leather stitches, the creature's claws gripped spiked flail with dried blood still caked on the spikes. Its tongue extended an incredible distance, slime dripping off unrolled and snapping up a stink bug before rapidly retracting into a sharp venom-filled mouth.

"Soon the gambling house will be completed, and seven more taverns will be opened with dancing girls nearby,” said Mardin, folding his hands into his favorite plotting position above the railing.

“Yes your highness, I will decree that to the builders at once,” said Snaggy, scribbling away on a scroll unrolled to the floor.

A thin man who had to contort his lanky figure to fit under doorways. He was dressed in gaudy glasses with bells, many pockets of tricks, and a patchwork of every color of the rainbow. He was the highest royal Jester, and information recorder known to man.

“The Srippin coins, each of twelve unique restricted to the castle stamped on the other side, are the biggest banking success so far, as we use the surfs in our new government experiments, refining our system into a design optimization fit for the human population. It is good to be a member of the kingdom, wouldn't you say,” cried the King.

"No more unregistered traders trading from castle to castle without the royal stamps of approval" said Snaggy.

“It is indeed with your genius solving the issue,” declared the Bootlickers among them.

The Bootlickers were a gentle fishy creature with many feelers on their heads. The two in attendance knelt down to lick up some of the latest tastes collected from the cobblestones all over the kingdom. In water cities they would dwell, before coming to land in order to spread their deep knowledge and feast. Every year returning to their cities for egg laying in the springtime. The King kept them well stocked in order to have more information available to his inner circle of benefactors.

“Permission to speak, may I King,” said the man, sweating as he remained still with the blue salute.

King Mardin the 4th motioned with his hand a sign of approval.

“Verminous felines are attacking with giant hawks from the sky, and we must engage in warfare to defend the walls,” said the soldier.

The King stepped back inside, followed by his guard who took up the forward positions. The bunker command center provided safety while the troops fought valiantly outside defending the walls. He adjusted his crown while his guard stepped onto the elevator heading down to the belly of the castle. Ebony wood markings intersected the stones of every floor. The pulley lowered them down continuously, while an explosion the castle shook on its foundation the cart carrying the men.

 

Meanwhile Shafe’s aircraft flew wildly out of control. It reached its final resting place slamming into a tower. The structure exploded with him and the creature still attached while rubble fell onto the marketplace below, as the crowds ran for cover. People knocked each other over, hid under stalls, or ran into buildings locking them up behind so that the next person was left beating on the wood trying to gain entrance. The rest of the crowd trampled on each other in a mad dash for the protection of the dungeon.

In the bunker command soldiers lined the walls talking into mouthpieces connected to the dark frequency crystals broadcasting on the dome antenna above. The same Ninth crystals as played by the band are the 6th of 12 varieties while the Magma ranked 1st providing heat, plane propulsion, and powering the empire's engines. Each crystal color marked a special energy that could be used up in a battery to provide special powers to every empire who mined, bought or conquered them.

“The attack has begun,” cried Snaggy in despair.

The King entered his roost, while his subordinates jumped to attention.

“Snaggy, is the escape craft ready for escaping?” whispered the Bootlickers huddled around him.

“Yes let us board now with my guards, and wait so as not to slow anyone down” said Snaggy as he began to escort the Bootlickers to safety.

“I need you here for your council,” commanded Mardin.

“Yes your majesty,” all three cried, returning.

“King, we have established contact with one of the attackers!” yelled a man from one of the metal floor speakers who had heard it from above.

“What do they want?” demanded King Mardin, nervously playing with some of the twelve rings permanently stuck to his sausage fingers.

“Haven't heard anything back yet,” yelled the speaker..

“They want to eat us!” cried the two Bootlickers in harmony.

“Enough!” commanded Mardin.

Those in the room stood silent as another explosion rocked above shaking everything. A large map tapestry had hung at the back of the room and now was crumpled. The faint beat of the pounding anti-air cannons on the walls above mixed with the static filled voices garbled together from all over the kingdom. The rest of the Speakers had now gathered all together around the line to enemy command as the King approached.

“They want a meeting now inside these very walls,” cried the highest Speaker to the mighty receiver.

The High council that normally governed over Uput had gathered in their governing quarters. They sat in fancy robes directing the soldiers around them. The proper process must be followed to set the banquet of meat and cheese from which they would gorge. Mardin ordered more men to the weak points of the walls, before he checked on the status of the reinforcement air units with another approaching messenger.

“Where is our favorite prince?” asked Snaggy to the Bootlickers who sat across from him along the feasting table.

“With one of the many maids he bangs while hiding from the action I suspect,” said the eldest amphibian in attendance.

“Or perhaps with the milkman again,” answered the other.

“Interesting, but hey did you know yesterday prince number 72 was born?” said Snaggy.

The door burst open to the eatery as an officer ran into the establishment.

“The cats are heading to this room. Defend the crystals at all cost,” he yelled, crashing on the floor over one of the many buffet trays.

The eaters stopped themselves from further eating. They had been disturbed by the soldiers swarming them with drawn spears and swords, and the bowmen drew tight where they had rushed above. Clacking claws sounded outside as those inside gasped. One noble ran for the exit followed by a group of four.

A knock at the doorway. A figure too small bent to enter with a stalking figure. A creature with pointed black fur ears with gold rings that bent on touching the atrium ceiling, and a two color fur coat. A black tail waved to them behind playfully. The whiskers blew out as nostrils flared, and the rear paws stepped forward wearing a thick fur sweater knitted with imagery of sacrifices being given to crystal gods. Another of the same cat creatures entered behind.

“Hello humans” it hissed.

“Meow” said the other as it licked its lips exposing a sharpened gold fang.

“Let's do this deal quickly, what do you want?” asked the King.

“All your crystals meow,” said the cat.

“In the dungeon you will find them all,” yelled the head of the table.

The cats were back on their fours as they left out the door purring.

“Let's go!” yelled the Slyman leading all the VIPs ran out to the stairs leading to an air escape.

The King took his special polished crown door that only he and his elite guard had access to. They were on a cart heading upward driven by the large pulley. At the top they exited into the blowing winds. The golden airship waited on the second platform below the antenna connected to the dark crystal. Far below was the airstrip for the nobles. Snaggy and the Bootlickers greeted Mardin the 4th as they boarded. The captain flipped a switch and each of the four corners of the craft the thrusters of Magma crystal began lighting hot red, rumbling for take off.

“How long until we are in the air?”

“Soon. 1 minute until takeoff,” yelled the royal pilot flipping levers and turning on switches as the craft began to rumble.

The approaching giant wings blew dust filled winds at them. A flapping bird descended and perched on the antenna above. Another eagle swooped in with talons before grabbing hold and dropping a knight off the edge to a long distance fall.

"We are sitting ducks out here", cried Snaggy.

The hawk flew off with the cloaked cat on its back claws digging gently into the feathers. No doubt a sharp threat if the flight path was to be properly followed they would both be minced meat.

The King's craft slowly lifted into the air as the thrusters shifted slightly sideways. They went hurtling in the opposite direction of the castle. In the background, the cats on their steads descended towards the crystals. The aircraft picked up speed, zooming away just as the ceasefire broke and the cannons fired again. Chaos erupted on the royal airstrip as crowds made a mad dash to the ships, some flying off prematurely with only a few on board.

An even greater eagle perched on the dark crystal as two cats climbed off its back. They tied the prize with a rope to a harness on the bird's breast.The head council Slyman waddled across the landing pad. An eagle descended on him from above with talons dug in deep as it struggled to carry him off.

“Where do you think you're taking me huh you filthy animals?” said the Slyman, throwing up.

He then stuck out a massive tongue that started slapping the bird until it was forced to let go. He fell from the sky and splattered into a puddle that began slowly reforming.

In all this commotion Prince Edward Longbottom was still deep within the castle walls with his harem. The party was over 40 strong, and thus too big to fit out by an airship. Thankfully they were already in the large armory well armed with whips and wooden paddles.

“Commander Newton, we will fight with you at the station. There we will then fight our way out of this mess,” said Prince Edward.

“Understood, we need all the strength we can muster,” said the commander doing the red salute.

On the rampart everyone ran ready for violence. They sprinted past the rotating cannons auto-fed from the funnel bins. The nearby knights dumped in the large round shells of ammo, while others lugged out the boxes of it. The mounted machine guns rotated on a swivel with red barrels firing a barrage of bullets endlessly into the sky.

The party was over a hundred descending the inside wall onto the grounds below. Edward ran out in front faster than all the others. A scream as a bird ripping off a head before the cat pounced off its stead, clawing a soldier in the face.

“Yesham, cast your magic tricks and protect us,” cried Edward.

The woman in the pink dress let her hood down revealing matching hair. She cracked her knuckles with long fingernails also painted pink, and then removed a matching wrapped crystal gizmo from her purse that was leather. The wires connected to a circuit board, and a smaller electric crystal battery to power the larger pink orb.

“Prestige presto!” she yelled at the device.

The force field began to hazily form all around them. At first it was a pink mist before quickly hardening into rigid force field walls. Any of the soldiers caught in the path were vaporized. The fierce cats outside continued their rampage ripping through the troops trapped outside the bubble. One of them jumped against the shield, and was deflected back onto it's hindquarters. Another of the cats looked like a porcupine with a fur coat filled full of arrows as it killed its last soldier before collapsing.

“Excellent work, now where is the big garage located anyway commander?” asked Edward.

“Just past the next bend,” said the Commander.

“Very good, and how about you Nancy the necromancer?” he called.

The black haired, and well proportioned goth girlfriend of the Prince didn’t answer as they were currently fighting a vicious verbal spat that had caused the two to be repulsed by each other's former charms that everyone else seemed to enjoy. A soldier ahead cut the tension by cutting a padlock chain at the train station. They trickled inside forming lines at the closed locomotive doors.

The 4th crystal variety was yellow Magnets. They were super strong and only a small amount was needed for crazy magnetic fields. The Train floated in the air above the tracks as the magnet field repelled the body into a guided locking rail design.

“Everyone aboard,” boomed a voice deeper than thunder.

The automatic doors opened revealing the conductor who was a plump Slyman wearing a large traditional fur uniform, and top hat. The party hastily boarded in an equal line after the royals; once inside were greeted by upholstered leopard furs hungover plush furniture, and green fuzzy shag carpet covered the floors. Prince Edward and his closest lovers sat behind the best bar on board drinking Schlock, and eating crumpets.

“Leaving in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!” cried the conductor.

The train lurched forward quickly gaining high speed by burning Magma thrusters. As the whistle blew a deadly warning flames vented through an exhaust underground the station.

 

 

 

2