Ch. 1 – End of Jeremy
628 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the time of upload for the first two chapters I haven't fully decided where this story will go or even long it will last. I may have to add more tags later on and i will be sure to add a cw before anything extreme like the violence and slavery themes in this chapter. I do not intend this to be a tragedy but some tragic or triggering events may happen.

Layla was used to being sick since it was half her job but this feeling in the pit of her stomach was something else. The young intern had found several notes concerning the work she had been involved in over the last two years. She was one day from being brought on board but now she didn't want that. She had ignored the barbs about her being lazy, the demands she do more with her abilities in a single day, protesting that her immune system couldn't keep up with that kind of strain. 

Now she was seeing just what kind of monsters she had been working for, staring down at compiled notes on how best to use her power for profit and destruction. They planned to infect entire cities with the diseases they had asked her to generate. No, the diseases they had asked Jeremy Milan to generate for the use of making cures.  

She had to leave, get out of there somehow. But how would she do that? She was bound to a wheelchair and anyone who wanted to chase her could catch up. Folding the papers inside her shirt she took a deep breath and tried to compose herself as if nothing was wrong.   

Wheeling down the hall she passed by a fellow intern and her fingers twitched as her brain wavered about warning them. Getting a confused look and a quickened pace from her colleague she sighed. She was about halfway down the hall when an alarm blared. She had heard that alarm only once but still knew what it meant: stolen property, lockdown engage. She was trapped and she knew it. There was no way for her to get out now. Instead she chose to hide.    

Somehow she hadn't been caught. She couldn't believe it, they had to be toying with her. Surely they knew where she was and they were just waiting for her to come out. She was in a state of panicky calm right now, practically on autopilot as she watched the door. 

Suddenly it burst open and in swarmed a group of men armed with tranquilizer guns came in to stand on either side, followed by the higher ups. "Don't bother trying anything. You can't escape and there's nothing you can generate that we can't cure ourselves of. Hand over the papers, be a good man, and get back to your post. If you comply we will allow you to continue to move about the building. If you don't you will never see more than the walls of your lab." 

"Nothing I can generate? You think you can cure yourself of bubonic plague before it spreads out and kills us all?" Fear made her voice shook but her eyes showed conviction. She would end all chances of them using her power for such evils before she surrendered. "I can generate any disease known to man and I can probably make new ones too. What's stopping me from doing it right now?"  

"The tranquilizers of course." The tall man spoke again, seemingly unfazed by her threat. As he spoke two darts hit her chest, injection their doses into the muscles. "We will keep you sedated until we've managed to curb this insolence of yours. Your ability will bring about change. Change that can do some good for the world."  
If he said anything else she didn't hear it. Her hearing had dulled down and her vision was fading. Removing the darts she panted and struggled to stay awake, trying to focus on anything as another one hit her arm. The last thing she saw was the tall man collapsing.     

Everything was quiet as she came to her senses. Someone was calling the name she went by but she couldn't place the voice. Everything seemed so far off and distant, it might as well be a dream. But she could swear someone was talking to Jeremy and it was making her ears twitch.  

"Jeremy if you can hear me, I need you to open your eyes or move something." The voice wasn't familiar but it was closer, less distorted. Groaning she shook her head and tried to sit up. She didn't make it more than an inch before a heavy paw stopped her and pushed her back. "Good, you're awake. You were hit with more tranquilizer than was really needed. If they'd waited another minute you'd have been out cold anyway." 

With a sudden gasp of realization she opened her eyes and tried to bolt upright on the table. She'd started to figure out where she was, or at least thought she had. This room and the large cat holding her down looked nothing like her old job. "Where am I? Where did you take me? I won't be your bio weapon fuel!" She was getting worked up as her brain jumped to what seemed the only logical conclusion.  

Shaking her head, the panther stepped back and raised both paws up in a gesture of appeasement. "I know what you're thinking but we aren't them. We happened to be conducting a raid on the company you worked for, Jeremy. After saving you we found the papers you had hidden." 

"My name isn't Jeremy.." She was hesitant to believe anything this woman was saying, no matter how sincere she sounded. Still, a part of her was fed up with that name and she was too angry not to argue about things. "And if you found the papers then you know exactly what I can do. Why aren't you wearing a hazmat suit?"  

"Because you're not a bad person and you aren't going to attack someone who doesn't want to hurt you. Please, Jer-" She stopped and folded her arms, thinking. "Please just let me explain. My name is Kelly and if you tell me yours I'll use it."  

Layla barely registered that she was sitting up as she relaxed herself. This woman wasn't hostile. The part of her brain that had been cycling through diseases switched to the task of finding her wheelchair.

"My name is Layla. If you aren't holding me against my will I'd like my wheelchair please. I don't do well with a lack of mobility." Adrenaline slowly fading she choked back a sob as her chair was brought to her.  

"We aren't going to make you stay here but you might want to consider the alternatives. That company has a lot of power around here and they'll find you if you go home." The woman's voice was gentle as she offered a paw to help Layla into her chair that was gratefully accepted. "You can't run from them without help, Layla. And you won't be able to be yourself. But you're a good person and we'd like to help. I'm part of an organization that resists tyranny in this world and we protect people."

 Thinking back, she scanned the woman up and down as she sat in her chair, shaking a bit as emotions washed over her. She felt sick again, in that way the papers had made her feel. “I know the one. I didn't hear about you until recently but from what I saw you weren't bad. I don't understand though. Why me? I wouldn't make you guys look any better but worse. I literally make people sick.." Tears welled up in her eyes as she thought about her family and how they would worry. She was surprised to receive a hug from the woman but didn't resist any.  

"We'll help you see the good you can do, Layla. We'll help you be who you are and even walk again. It's all up to you though. We won't pressure you into it."  

"Even if we wanted you, it's unnecessary. You already understand the cons of your actions." A slender reptile stood against the door. Somehow Layla hadn't noticed her before now and she couldn't understand the oversight. "However there are some pros to those same actions. You have helped to develop cures to diseases thought incurable. I'm guessing your antibodies helped with that but I'm sure they have a serious limit." 

"They do umm.." She wasn't quite sure what gender this person was and while it confused her she didn't mind. Shrugging she simply continued. "I can only revert to a healthy state within a seriously short time span. The more severe the disease, the shorter it gets. If I were to try something like the bubonic plague I'd be unable to revert at all by the time samples were taken. Besides that using my ability too much weakens my immune system altogether." 

Getting a nod she noticed them motion for her to follow. She was about to nod when suddenly her chair started moving. Startled into letting out a mewl she looked back at Kelly. The panther chuckled and shook her head. "You're in enough stress without pushing yourself further. As your doctor I insist you let me do this and you try to relax a bit."  

Frowning she nodded and crossed her arms, looking at the reptile again and starting to note the more male figure. Their voice was completely androgynous as they spoke. "In case you're wondering, I'm a demi boy. I believe you are a girl, Layla? We can help you look like you envision yourself. But first I think you should take a small tour." 

16