Chapter 1
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wagon wheels creaked as they made their way across the vast landscape. Small slivers of wooden splinters gave way as a wheel crept over a misplaced rock. The path itself was made from smooth cobblestone.

 

The adventurers had been traveling for quite a while now and their destination was within their sights. The shining city of Novalgus laid before them, awaiting their return. 

 

Zayd, Milly, and Ivory had eagerly anticipated their arrival since the journey had been a long and weary one. It would be nice for them to finally return to civilization, far from the dangers of their quests.

 

The wagon stopped abruptly on the outskirts of town. A voice from outside could be heard making an announcement to them. “Alright, we’ve made it!”

 

“Finally!” Zayd shouted as he hopped out from the back. “Another hour locked in there and I would’ve lost it! My back is aching like crazy…”

 

“It wasn’t that bad.” Ivory jumped from the wagon and shut her tome.

 

“You were able to read the entire time!” Zayd snapped. “Me and Milly could barely keep ourselves from falling asleep in that boring trap.”

 

“Oh quit your yapping,” Ivory scolded him. “We’re here now, aren’t we?”

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Zayd said as Milly retrieved her bow from the wagon. “So what now?”

 

“Now we report back to the Adventurer’s Guild,” Ivory announced. “We’ve got to turn in our quest for payment. We should have quite a bit waiting for us too seeing how much work we put into all that.”

 

“Yeah you’re right, Ivory,” Milly commented. “We all worked very hard to make it back here in one piece. It wasn’t an easy journey.”

 

“Yeah!” Zayd and the others began their walk through town. They passed through the giant archway at the northern entrance. “I bet there’s an entire wagon load of gold waiting for us!”

 

“I wouldn’t get too carried away there, Zayd,” Ivory replied. “Our reward won’t be anywhere close to that much. However, it should be more than enough for all of us to purchase new equipment. Our armor has seen more than its fair share of battle. It’s time we replaced it.”

 

“What about our weapons?” Milly inquired. “I think my bow is ready to snap in two…”

 

“Yeah…while my shield is still in great condition, I don’t know if my ax will last through too many more battles.”

 

“We should have enough to take care of that also.” Ivory watched as numerous adventurers began to appear in their sight. 

 

A great mass of people were making their way through the town. It was filled with many different faces. Young and old alike gathered near the large fountain that sprung up in the center. 

 

Bea Lardi was home to many across the world who traveled far and wide to embrace the art of adventure. While the adventurer's first journey had only just ended, many adventurers here have been questing for years.

 

“Hey Ivory!” Zayd hollered. “Do ya know anything about this whole class advancement ordeal that we’re about to go through?”

 

“I know enough,” Ivory answered. “It is a process that adventurers undergo through the guild’s training program. In order to complete a class advancement, first an individual must acquire the authorization to do so.”

 

“Which we already have done,” Milly noted.

 

“Exactly.” Ivory nodded at her. “The second thing to acquire is the location of your class master. Each class has two unique paths to choose from when advancing to the next tier. Not only will you learn new abilities but your innate stats that attribute to your overall power will begin to increase even more as you gain experience through your journey. Zayd will gain more strength and endurance. Milly will obtain more dexterity and agility while I will garner more faith and willpower.”

 

“Amazing!” Zayd’s eyes lit up with intrigue. “So this ol’ ax hand will be able to deliver more devastating blows?”

 

“You’re correct. Milly’s arrows will be much more accurate and impactful too,” Ivory stated. 

 

“What’s the third requirement?” Milly questioned. “Or is that it?”

 

“No, I’m afraid there’s more,” Ivory answered. “Once an individual has met the requirements and located their class master, then they must undertake a rigorous trial to prove their worthiness. Fail and your class advancement will be denied. However, if you shall overcome the odds against you and prevail then you will be rewarded with great opportunity.”

 

Zayd’s excitement could not be contained. While Milly appeared somewhat concerned with the journey ahead, Ivory did not allow her emotion to come to the surface. As usual, Ivory kept her serious demeanor and maintained somewhat of a reserved personality. 

 

As they continued their stroll through town, the large structure of the Adventurer’s Guild began to embrace them with its presence. It towered over the area with only the church of the Radiant Order, located on the other end of town, standing in comparison to its size and beauty. 

 

Several guild guides stood at the entrance to the doors, each prepared to open a door or answer a question. These guides existed all throughout the major cities of Isigya, serving their communities with information and knowledge.

 

The adventurers entered through the massive and beautiful decorative doors. The halls of the guild were teeming with activity. Just as the streets of Novalgus were filled, so too were these great halls. Multiple quest counters stood open as numerous guild guides filtered through the lines of adventurers. Others socialized and traded amongst themselves while they prepared for their new journeys.

 

“It’s good to be back here,” Zayd noted.

 

The other two nodded and smiled as they looked on. Several adventurers smiled back at them while others glared at them and sized them up.

 

Together, they began making their way through the gaps that existed between the many crowds. It appeared even fuller than it had the last time they were here. 

 

Zayd, Milly, and Ivory took their place amongst one of the numerous lines. Their eyes scoured the area while they waited, checking the gear of the other adventurers.

 

Many different types of people wandered these halls. Both high and low level adventurers alike awaited to take on a new quest. Some were adorned with leather or cloth while others wore fine silk or plate armor. While many of the adventurers appeared similar, each of them had something about them that made them unique.

 

While the lines appeared packed, they moved along in a smooth fashion. The guild guide’s helpful dialogue aided in speeding up the process. When an adventurer was unsure about the path to take to arrive at a location or the ramifications of such a journey, the guides were there to offer knowledge. If one were unsure about what path to take in their class advancement, the guides could offer advice about which one would be better suited to their liking. No matter the question, the guides always found a way to find an answer. Whether they were able to answer it themselves or find it amongst a colleague, they wouldn’t rest until an answer was found.

 

“How may I be of assistance to you all?” A guide at the counter asked as the three adventurers made their way to the front. Their turn had arrived.

 

Zayd and the others looked at each other and nodded. Each of them reached down and retrieved their guild cards and placed them neatly on the counter.

 

“We’re here to turn in our quests!” Zayd announced.

 

“Ok! Let me just pull up your information here.” The guide placed the cards within her computer. “Where are you three coming back from?”

 

“A small place called Bullhill Town over in Kortev,” Zayd answered.

 

“Ah, ok. I can see it here.” The guide’s head tilted and they expressed a confused demeanor. “Were you three coming back to collect the reward for…taking out a gnoll checkpoint? It says you three were already rewarded for taking out four gnolls on the road north of town.”

 

“No…” Ivory shook her head. “We were already paid for that one.”

 

“Right…that’s what I’m seeing here,” the guide responded. “However, it’s showing that the rest of your quests are still in progress.”

 

“What?!” The group collectively shouted.

 

“But that can’t be!” Zayd shouted.

 

“All that work for nothing…?” Milly’s eyes fell to the floor.

 

“There must be some sort of mistake.” Ivory leaned over the counter as the guide turned the screen to face them. 

 

Sure enough, the guide was correct. None of the quests had shown up as completed and each of them, aside from the first quest, had been shown as incomplete. 

 

“This can’t be…” Ivory slipped back into place as she recoiled from the counter. “No…”

 

“How could this have happened?” Zayd questioned. “Admiral Langiir said that we had finished…”

 

“He even told us we were eligible for our class advancement…,” Ivory added.

 

“I can’t believe we put in all that effort just for this to happen to us,” Milly commented.

 

“Admiral Langiir?!” The guide’s demeanor appeared shocked. “You three met with the Admiral?”

 

“Yeah…he’s the one who said our quest was complete,” Zayd explained. “Our guild guide…he…”

 

Ivory placed a hand on his shoulder. “It’s ok, Zayd.”

 

“He fell in battle protecting those he cared about,” Zayd detailed. “I'm assuming that he wasn’t able to update our progress because of that.”

 

“Oh dear…participating in battle is strictly forbidden for guild guides,” the guide explained. “But I’m sure your friend had a very good reason for doing so! We’ll keep this between us and not add it to any of the notes.”

 

“So what do we do now?” Ivory questioned.

 

“I’m going to be honest this is a sensitive situation that I don’t have the clearance to handle,” the guide answered. “I’m going to refer you three to the Commander. Only her, the Admiral, and the Director have the authority to deal with this, I’m afraid.”

 

“The Commander?!” Zayd was intrigued. “First we met the Admiral. Now the Commander?” 

 

“I suppose when dealing with demons, these situations have to be treated delicately,” Ivory assumed.

 

“That’s correct!” The guide responded. “Not to mention you three are showing incomplete quests. None of the guides here have the clearance to override that. Only field guides and top brass have that sort of authorization.”

 

Suddenly, the computer began buzzing and a small piece of paper printed out with a number on it. 

 

The guild guide ripped the paper and handed it to the adventurers. “Here! Take this and go wait over by the large mahogany door. When your number is called, you’ll enter through the door and meet with the Commander. Good luck!”

 

Before the adventurers could thank the guide, she had already begun calling out for the next in line to approach.

 

“Well this is a bit of a predicament,” Ivory commented.

 

“Yeah it is…” Zayd shook his head.

 

“Hopefully the Commander can sort this out,” Milly added. 

 

The adventurers made their way over to the mahogany door and looked around to inspect the area. Not many other people stood nearby. While the hall remained packed, most of them had gathered by the entrances and counters. Many stood off to the other side of the hall to socialize and trade too. However, not many seemed to remain here.

 

“Excuse me!” Zayd shouted at another party of adventurers who were gazing at a map. “Are you waiting to see the Commander too?”

 

The party of adventurers looked back at him with confused expressions.

 

“No…,” One of them answered. “C’mon guys let’s go…”

 

“You’d think that on this side, we’d actually be able to get some peace and quiet!” Another one of them bickered.

 

“Let’s head outside and try there.”

 

“Wow, that was rude…” Ivory glared back at them.

 

“All you did was ask them a question,” Milly asserted. 

 

Zayd sighed and shook his head. “Oh well! You can’t please everyone.”

 

Soon a voice began to sound off from behind a nearby counter placed next to the mahogany door. “The Commander is now seeing ticket number four! I repeat: ticket number four!”

 

Zayd and Milly looked down at the paper as Ivory lifted it up.

 

“Four…” Ivory read.

 

“That’s us!” Zayd announced.

 

“Wow, we’re only the fourth party to visit them today,” Milly commented.

 

The adventurers approached the counter and handed the ticket towards the individual.

 

“Go on through the doors!” The person said to them.

 

Suddenly, the doors began to creak open. The adventurers stepped through and looked around to see a large staircase leading up to another door. Together, they began their ascension upwards.

 

“So we're off to see the Commander, huh?” Zayd whispered. 

 

“I wonder if they’ll be able to help us,” Milly pondered aloud.

 

“Let’s hope so…,” Ivory said.

 

“I wonder what he’ll be like,” Zayd commented. “The Commander of the Adventurer’s Guild! I bet they're mighty and strong.”

 

“I would assume as much,” Ivory replied. “From what I understand, the only rank higher than the Commander is the Director. An individual such as that would have to be exceptionally powerful indeed.”

 

“Here we go…,” Milly stated as Zayd pushed open the doors.

 

They entered a large room that appeared like an office. Bookshelves lined the outer walls with an assortment of books, parchments, and scrolls. A few tables, with a disorganized clutter of books, were scattered throughout. Large windows were placed along the far wall that provided a beautiful view of the city. Placed in front of the window was a large desk and a chair with its back faced towards the adventurers.

 

“Co-commander?” Zayd approached with caution. “We were next in line to see you.”

 

Slowly, the chair turned around. Zayd’s eyes lit up with shock as the individual revealed themself.

 

“Well, well, well,” a familiar voice spoke back to him. “We meet again, adventurers…”

0