Chapter 13: Milly’s journey
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Milly appeared within an open area surrounded by trees, very similar to the ones she saw earlier. The area itself appeared as a beautiful meadow, even far more pleasant to the eye than Bea Lardi was. Nearby was a small pond filled with crystal clear, blue water. 

 

Milly looked around at the gorgeous view. Beautiful flowers blossomed from the ground, carrying petals of a bright blue color that glowed like she had never seen before. The sun shone brightly through the opening in the trees, illuminating the petals with its brilliance. 

 

Milly searched around, eventually noticing a path leading deeper into the forest. “Where did you send me, Khanjii?” 

 

No answer was given as the strange being did not appear before her. 

 

Milly walked forward, approaching the pleasant sight of the pond. She knelt down next to it and scooped her hand through it, lifting a small handful of water to her mouth. Milly sipped it down and felt refreshed as it soothed her, both body and mind. It swept through her in the way it had when she gazed upon the kitsune earlier, filling her with a sense of rejuvenation.

 

“What is this place?” Milly whispered.

 

The Scout turned her sights towards the path that led deeper into the forest. She began her stroll towards it as she reached out her hand, brushing along the flowers as she walked by. Their soft petals felt like she was running her hand through the clouds. It was a warm and soft touch to her and that felt like the embrace of a dear friend.

 

The entire atmosphere of this meadow put Milly at peace and brushed away the worries of the world for her. The stress and anxiety that had once cursed her with dread had now slipped away back into the shadows. Milly was content in this place of tranquility.

 

If only she could remain her for an eternity, she began to think to herself. Such a place would surely satisfy her for the remainder of her days. What a beautiful sight to look upon each day as she woke up in the warm embrace of the sun, surrounded by the fragrance of elegant and exotic flowers. 

 

Milly stared down the path that stretched out for a long distance. Though the meadow behind her was welcoming, this path appeared foreboding and mysterious. The trees surrounded a cobblestone path that led into what seemed like an endless walkway. The branches grew down low, enshrouding the area with leaves. Only a small, narrow pathway existed for her to walk through.

 

MIlly gulped as she took her first step into the long passageway. The trees covered the area around her, making it feel cluttered. Her arm brushed against the foliage as she barely had enough room to walk around.

 

Milly had barely made it several steps in when she heard the rhythmic voices begin to fill the air with music. At first it sounded faint and weary but as she continued in her path, the voices grew louder and louder. What began as unintelligible words soon began to form a melodic song that filled her ears with delight. Though the words that were spoken were of a language she could not understand, its tune pushed away the vague presence that the pathway put off and painted it in a much more soothing light. 

 

Milly began to feel welcome to where the path was leading her. She wasn’t sure where it would take her but she somehow knew deep inside that it was where she needed to go. Something inside the words of that song was drawing her near, pulling her closer and closer.

 

As Milly continued in her step, she began to think long and hard about her friends and how close she was to giving in to despair and losing all hope. She remembered Zayd and how during their darkest of times, he had always remained steadfast that victory could be achieved.  She began to dwell upon Ivory and how everytime a piece of knowledge seemed too far out of reach, she somehow always found the answer they were seeking. No longer did those thoughts begin to drag her down. Instead she began to embrace her friend’s talents and wondered what they thought of her. 

 

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted as a bright light shone from the end of her passage. As she drew nearer to it, it grew brighter and brighter. Eventually Milly had to cover her eyes with her arm as the illumination began to blind her. 

 

“What is this?!” Milly shouted out. 

 

The voices around her continued to fill the air, growing louder just as the light grew brighter. Soon she was able to bring her arm back down, allowing her to see once again. 

 

The light had dissipated to reveal a bright and shining casket resting in a bed of flowers. A bright golden trim traced along the edges of the coffin. Smooth white wood shaped the structure of it. The casket itself appeared to be in a timeless state, looking as if it were brand new but had been here for ages. It was a strange sight to look upon.

 

Surrounding the outer edges of the open area were several small beings seemingly bathed in golden sunlight. They appeared as human but looked as if they were something entirely different. Each of them glowed with golden bodies and were adorned with white togas that covered their lower halves and draped across their abdomen. An elegant crest rested upon their heads that appeared to be made from golden leaves and a silver harp was held in their hands. The mysterious beings were continuously singing along to their tune as they were the source of the music.

 

Soon, a black pool began to form behind Milly. She turned to it and began to worry. However, her concern was soon put to rest as Khanjii ascended from it. The strange but curious Khanjii  floated above the ground and began to slowly hover towards the charming and melodic beings.

 

“Khanjii like this place…,” Khanjii said to her. “This place make Khanjii happy…”

 

“It is quite a gorgeous place,” Milly observed. “Do you visit this place often?”

 

“Yes,” Khanjii answered. “Khanjii visit this place every full moon.”

 

“Why every full moon?” Milly asked.

 

“Because old friend use to come here,” Khanjii told her. “Long, long time ago.”

 

Milly looked as a tear began to form in his eye. She had never seen Khanjii like this before. Up to this point she had only seen him as an emotionless and careless being who was too oblivious to be socially aware of his actions. However, this was a different side to him and one that was most welcome.

 

Khanjii slowly hovered towards the casket and placed a hand upon it. “Old friend use to play with Khanjii for days…old friend loved to play…”

 

“This was your friend?” Milly looked towards the resting place. “This here?”

 

“Yes…” Khanjii shook his head up and down. “We called him Mori…”

 

“We?” Milly wondered. “You and someone else?”

 

“Three of us, there were,” Khanjii detailed. “We played for days…until the sun went down…”

 

Milly continued to listen as Khanjii illustrated the memories he held of the past.

 

“Mori was best Archer in all of land,” Khanjii explained. “No one better than Mori…”

 

“Mori was an Archer?” Milly asked.

Khanjii shook his head up and down as more tears began to fall from his eyes.

 

Milly was shaken by what she saw. Though she could see it, it was hard to believe. Regardless of her feelings, she felt compelled to listen. 

 

“Khanjii miss Mori…but Mori never come back…” Khanjii began to reach his hands out, placing them on top of the casket. Khanjii lifted the lid up, revealing the contents within. “But now Mori sleep so Mori no longer need this.”

 

Khanjii reached into the casket and retrieved from it, an alluring shortbow. The bow itself appeared to be made from the same white wood as the casket it came from. Its lower and upper limbs were covered with gold and the string itself glowed with the same color as the petals on the flowery floor below. 

 

The strange creature lowered the lid to close the casket. He turned towards Milly and reached his hand out to give her the bow. “Now you take it.”

 

“Wh-what?!” Milly stuttered. “B-but Khanjii I can’t!” 

 

Khanjii tilted his head as he approached closer, pushing the bow out further towards her. “Why?”

 

“Because it’s…it’s just not right!” Milly insisted. “You took it from your dead friend!”

 

“But Mori no longer need this bow,” Khanjii explained. “Mori don’t need any bow. Mori would want you to have.”

 

“Khanjii, I can’t take a dead man’s stuff!” Milly announced.

 

“Oh, Mori never use this bow,” Khanjii explained.

 

“If he never used it then why was it in there with him?” Milly asked.

 

“Bow was gift meant to honor friend,” Khanjii answered.

 

“But why give it to me then?” Milly asked. “Why not keep it here with your friend?”

 

“Because Khanjii see you cry and Khanjii no want to see friend cry,” Khanjii answered. “Khanjii know what it feel like to cry and Khanjii don’t like to see friend cry.”

 

“Khanjii…,” Milly reached out to take it. “This better not be another one of your games!”

 

“No game this time. Khanjii promise,” Khanjii replied. “Khanjii only want to help this time.”

 

Milly nodded and took the bow. Its elegant design appeared somewhat similar to that of her quiver. “I don’t know what to say, Khanjii…thank you…”

 

“No need to say anything,” Khanjii responded. “Bow made by good friend of Mori and Khanjii. Bow serve you well. Bow make you strong!”

 

“Yes, Khanjii.” Milly smiled back at him. “Bow make me strong…”

 

Khanjii’s tears dried up as her smile soothed him. He lifted his staff and waved it in the air, watching as the black aura formed beneath Milly’s feet.

 

“Thank you again, Khanjii!” Milly waved back at him as she descended into the black pool. “I can’t thank you enough for this!”

 

Khanjii waved back as the peaceful meadow began to disappear. The soothing sounds of the strange golden beings faded as darkness surrounded her. Soon nothing remained as Khanjii’s strange magic sent her back to where she was taken from. With a new bow in hand, Milly was prepared to brave the trials of her class advancement once more.

0