Chapter The Sword and the Rose: 102
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Milo had been deemed a hero by the hospital and Isla, the girl who called in Feya’s accident, but he didn’t feel like one. It was his fault she winded up in the ICU for six hours with a head injury. It wasn’t a life-threatening one, but still. Maisie would not like what she saw when they reached Feya’s room on the hospital’s 6th story. While she was out of the ICU, she was still a wreck. How could Milo feel like a hero after seeing her?

        I’m sorry, Maisie. I’m so sorry, he thought. He did not deserve a sibling now. Milo swallowed a lump and tensed once Maisie and Isla reached Feya’s room.

        Isla slowly opened the door and poked her head inside, pulling it out. “She’s asleep right now, Maisie.”

        “I don’t care; I need to see her.” Maisie bounced Milo.

        It looked like Isla sensed Milo’s nerves. “You’re not going to like what you see. She’s a little out of it currently.”

        “I don’t care.” Maisie nudged her aside and entered the room.

        The flowery curtains were drawn, and Feya’s costume sat on the leather chair in the corner. The heart monitor beeped and almost lured Milo to sleep.

        Feya, wearing a nasal cannula and bandage on her head, slept on her back, Daisy next to her bruised right temple.

        “Oh God,” Maisie whimpered. She moved Milo to one arm and approached Feya, kneeling.

        Daisy moved aside.

        Maisie grasped Feya’s hand, which rested on her blanket, and said, “I’m so sorry, Feya. You didn’t deserve this.”

        Another guilt bomb dropped onto Milo’s head. He meowed long meows and buried his face in Maisie’s chest.

        “Milo, Milo,” Maisie whispered, standing. She rocked him like she did when he was a kitten. “Feya’s okay. She just needs to recover.”

        If only she knew.

        Isla placed her hands behind her back. “I need to head back to Flamingo now. Will you two be okay?”

        Maisie nodded. “I think so. Thank you again, Isla.”

        She chuckled. “Don’t thank me; thank Milo. He’s the real hero here.”

        “I still don’t understand how he escaped.” Maisie scratched Milo behind his ears. “I’ll ask Feya once she feels better.”

        Oh gosh. Milo fearfully lifted his head.

        Isla strode to the door. “I’ll stop by before I go to work tomorrow to see how she is.”

        “You work at All-Star Movies, right?”

        Isla grinned. “Yes, ma’am. This must’ve been destiny.”

        Maisie giggled. “I guess so. See you later, Isla.”

        “See you later, Maisie.” With that, Isla exited the room and shut the door.

        Feya woke up soon after she left. “Maisie?” she feebly asked.

        Maisie snatched the chair in the corner and brought it to her bed. She removed Feya’s costume and sat down, Milo on her lap. “I’m here, Feya, but that was a nightmare. Don’t you dare scare me like that!”

        “Sorry.” Feya tried to sit, but Maisie pushed her down.

        “Stay down.” She moved her hand toward Daisy but pulled away.

        “You can pet her,” Feya said. “She needs to rest, so she’s not on duty right now.”

        “Thank you.” Maisie pet Daisy with one hand and Milo with the other. “Your parents are coming.”

        “I want to go home,” Feya grumbled. “I don’t want to be here, Maisie.”

        “I know, but they need to keep you overnight.” Sadness flashed in Maisie’s eyes, but she remained firm. If only Milo could do that, too. “You’ll feel better once your parents get here.”

        “They’re going to yell at me.” A few tears dripped from Feya’s eyes. “I broke my prosthetic because I haven’t been going to the doctor.”

        “I think you surviving falling through a bridge is a little more important,” Maisie joked, withdrawing her hand from Daisy. She sighed and fell quiet for a minute. “Let’s practice before they get here. Why haven’t you gone to the doctor? Don’t you want to ski again?”

        “I do, but…” Feya cringed. “I don’t know, Maisie.”

        “Feya, I hate to give you tough love while you’re like this, but you need to come up with an answer.”

         “I don’t know, Maisie!” She reached for her head.

        Now Maisie looked guilty. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have pushed you like that. Focus on resting now, Feya, and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

        Feya looked at her. “You’re not leaving, right? I want you here when they come, Maisie.”

        She clutched her hand again. “I’m not going anywhere. We’re in this together. However”—Maisie slid closer—“there is one thing I need to ask you.”

        Feya gulped and hugged Daisy. “What?”

        Maisie inhaled and waited until Milo kneaded her to ask: “What really happened with the bomb?”

0