Chapter 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Saving Feya (Part One)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Milo noticed a shift in Feya’s behavior the following day. She didn’t eat or talk to Maisie, which was unusual. Instead, she lay on the couch and avoided eye contact with her. Not even Daisy could cheer her up.

        Milo nervously ate his lunch beside the bar and watched Maisie, who was on her phone.

        “I don’t know what to do, Mrs. Fedora.” She studied Feya, who tilted her head away from her. “Feya’s been moping all morning. She won’t eat, talk, or get out of bed. No, I don’t think it’s the PTSD. I think the fact that she’s in a wheelchair for now is getting to her.” A pause. “Oh! That’s a great idea! Why don’t we plan for this evening when the sun isn’t as bright? I’ll call Isla, and we can get Feya down there.” Another pause. “Thanks. See you later.”

        Maisie hung up and went to Feya. “That was your mom. We’re going to have a small gathering at the pool this evening—pizza and everything! Won’t that be fun?”

        For the first time that morning, Feya spoke. “I don’t want to go, Maisie.”

        “What? Why?”

        Milo asked the same questions. What happened to Feya overnight? He thought giving her his blanket would help.

        “Your parents will be there,” Maisie added.

        “I’m not five years old, Maisie.” A tear dripped from Feya’s eye and trickled over her bruise.

        “Is this about your leg?” Maisie inquired.

        Feya didn’t answer.

        Maisie was patient with her. “The wheelchair’s only temporary until you get your new prosthetic.”

        “That’s just it!” Feya finally yelled, sitting. “I don’t want to be wheelchair-bound!” She chucked her pillow at Maisie. “I want my leg!”

        Milo growled, but Maisie held her hand up to him. She gave him the pillow to knead and sat next to Feya.

        “I just want to be a normal girl,” she sobbed. “That’s why I haven’t gone to the doctor.”

        “Oh… Feya. Is that all?” Maisie set her hand on top of hers. “Having a prosthetic has nothing to do with normality. When will you understand that?”

        Feya took off the blanket and pointed at her stump. “I’m a freak, Maisie.”

        “No, you’re not!” Maisie lightly slapped the back of her now bandage-free head. “I don’t want you ever to think that! You just need to get used to your new life. Your parents, Isla, Daisy, Milo, and I will be with you the whole way. Please, Feya, give the pool party a chance. Weren’t you the one who said, ‘Sometimes moving on just takes a little bit of courage’?”

        She paused before nodding. “I did.”

        “And aren’t you the one who’s all about spreading Disney magic?” Maisie continued. “You taught me these things, Feya, and you can’t let a little wheelchair destroy them. Please. No one is going to judge you at the pool. I promise.”

        Feya was quiet for a long time after that.

***

        Isla stopped by around 7:00, dressed in a swimsuit, and carried a—what was that? A bunny? Yes! She held a dark orange bunny in her arms.

        Milo’s instinct kicked in. Tail held high, he sprinted but bumped into the dishwasher.

        Thunk!

        Feya’s door opened instantly, revealing her wearing a two-piece, tropical-style swimsuit with a sarong. She rolled out and asked, “Milo, what happened?” Feya slipped a flower behind her ear and braided her hair.

        Maisie’s door opened, too. She wore a yellow sundress over her bathing suit and white flip-flops. “What’s going on? Oh. Hi, Isla.”

        “Sorry for letting myself in,” she apologized. “The door was unlocked, so I thought, Why not?”

        “I-It’s fine.” Maisie stumbled over her words because she and Feya had seen the bunny.

        “Oh.” Isla stroked the bunny’s head, and his long ears dropped. “This is Carrot, my Emotional Support Animal.”

        “Carrot?” Maisie said, giggling. “I can see why you named him that.”

        Isla tittered and looked at Feya. “I see you managed to get her out of bed.”

        “Barely,” Maisie corrected. “We can’t stay at the pool long, but I thought she could use some fresh air.” Her attention switched to Feya. “Right, Feya? Slow and steady wins the race.”

        “I don’t know if I can do this, Maisie.” Feya almost suffocated Daisy with how tight she hugged her.

        Maisie clipped Milo’s leash to his ESA vest. She and Isla came within reach of Feya. “You’ll be fine, girl.” Maisie gripped the wheelchair’s handlebars and smiled at Isla. “Isla, Mom, Dad, and Feya’s parents should be here soon with the pizza. Could you let them in, and I’ll take Feya to the pool?”

        “On it, girl!” Isla stood straight and saluted. “See you guys there.”

        Milo pranced to Maisie’s heel and waited for his signal.

        Isla left first, then Maisie and Feya. They walked down to the pool and broke apart once they reached it.

        Feya kept a low profile and moved her sarong down the length of her missing leg.

        Milo saw a few CPs studying him, but Feya misunderstood their gestures.

        “They’re staring at me, Maisie.”

        “No, they’re not.” Maisie escorted her around one of the pool’s curves that led to the hot tub.

        “I want to go back,” Feya whimpered.

        “Sometimes moving on just takes a little bit of courage.” Maisie stopped at one of the pool tables and removed her bag from her shoulder, placing it on top. She reached for Feya’s sarong, but she slapped her away.

        “I’m not going in the water. I’m staying here.”

        “Feya, please. There’s nothing to be scared of. Look”—Maisie gestured at the CPs in the pool area—“everyone’s here to have fun. No one’s going to hurt you.”

        To help out Daisy, Milo bounced up and wrapped his front paws around Feya’s forearm.

        “No, No,” she protested, shaking her head. “I’m going back.” Feya pushed Milo down and headed for the pool’s gate.

        Milo and Maisie followed her. They reached the gate at the same time Isla returned with Maisie and Feya’s parents.

        Mrs. Foster and Mrs. Fedora each carried a Domino’s pizza box.

        “Hey, girls.” Mrs. Foster lifted her box. “We got the pizza.”

        Milo swore Feya melted into her seat like the Wicked Witch of the West.

        Who knew throwing a pool party would be this difficult?

0