Chapter Davy Crockett and the River Pirates: #WeAre (from the Novel!)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One month later

(three months before the Epilogue)

 

        Seriously, Maisie and Feya’s parents did not have to do this.

        Maisie rolled Feya into Coronado Springs’s Convention Center, and their jaws dropped.

        Daisy appeared just as shocked. Maisie was sure Milo would’ve reacted the same way if allowed at the hotel.

        Gentle Spanish music played in the enormous Convention Center, which seemed to stretch on forever. It was divided into the Coronado Ballroom, Fiesta Ballroom, and Veracruz Exhibit Hall. Maisie and Feya were to check in at South Registration just before entering Veracruz.

        Maisie pushed Feya through queer couples, Summit staff members, and a few Custodian Cast Members wearing those hot pink shirts and olive shorts. They came to Coronado directly after Feya’s first physical therapy session with her new prosthetic. She had the wheelchair because she was tired and a little sore. But there they were—at Coronado for Out and Equal: Summit 2023.

        “You good, Fey?” Maisie peered down at her.

        She examined the couples and Cast Members. “I think I want to walk to South Registration, May.”

        “Are you sure?” It wasn’t that Maisie didn’t trust her; Feya merely couldn’t push herself.

        She nodded. “I’m sure.”

        “Okay, then.” Maisie stood on the other side of Daisy and pulled Feya up. “I’ll keep the wheelchair behind you in case you fall.”

        “Thanks, May.” Feya clutched Maisie’s hand and squeezed it. “Let’s do this.”

***

        “Hey, girls!” one of the staff members greeted Feya and Maisie when they reached South Registration about halfway down the Convention Center. “Welcome to Summit 2023! Are you checking in?”

        Feya opened her mouth, but Maisie beat her. “We are, ma’am. My girlfriend and I have been waiting for this for a month.”

        “Oh, wonderful!” The staff member clapped. “We’re stoked to have you! What are your names?”

        “Maisie Claire Foster and Feya Fedora,” Maisie answered.

        Feya nudged her. “Maisie, I can speak for myself, thank you very much.”

        “Sorry, Fey,” Maisie apologized, backing away from the counter. “I guess I’m still in my nurse mode.” Feya could take care of herself, right?

        She stumbled, and Maisie’s instincts kicked in. She slipped the wheelchair under Feya and sat her down. “There you go.”

        “I just tripped,” she argued, standing again. “I can stand, May.” She pointed down Veracruz. “If you don’t mind, I want to walk down Veracruz to practice.”

        “Um, I do mind, Feya. Thank you.” Maisie accepted hers and Feya’s nametags from the staff member, the Coronado map, and their room keys.

        “Have a great time, girls.” The staff member grinned. “The dinner is tonight at 7:00, and activities begin tomorrow.”

        Maisie approached Feya. “We’ll be there. Thank you again, ma’am.”

        “My pleasure.”

        Feya huffed but still smiled. She took the map out of Maisie’s hand and bounced on her heels. “Isn’t this exciting, Maisie? We need to do something nice for our parents in return.”

        “We will, Feya,” Maisie said, “but for now, let’s go to our room so you can rest.”

        “Rest?” Feya brought her heels together. “I don’t need rest, Maisie. I want to practice.”

        “But—But.” What if Feya fell and smacked her head again? What if she winded up in another coma, all because Maisie couldn’t take care of her? What if… Oh God…!

        “How am I supposed to ski again if I don’t practice? Hm?” Feya challenged, shooting Maisie a knowing look.

        “Okay, fine!” Maisie snapped. “You can practice, but I’m not letting you out of my sight.”

        Feya inhaled. “Of course, you won’t. Well, what are we waiting for?” She and Maisie went to the beginning of Veracruz and stared at the long, carpeted hallway, which didn’t look as busy as the Coronado and Fiesta Ballrooms. It almost looked haunted, to be honest.

        One of the Custodian Cast Members, carrying a picker, approached Maisie and Feya. “You know, there’s a rumor that a ghost lives in Veracruz. That’s why it’s never that busy.”

        “A ghost? Oh, please.” Maisie attempted not to focus too hard on that ugly ass costume. “There are no such things as ghosts.”

        “You say that now.” The Cast Member giggled. “Come back at midnight, and I’ll show you. It’s fascinating.”

        Slightly suspicious, Maisie and Feya watched him leave, but he bumped into a few couples on his way out.

        “O-kay.” Maisie shivered. “That wasn’t weird at all.”

        “I think we should listen to him.” An optimistic Feya started down the hallway and leaned against a trash can beside a bathroom. “Who knows? It may be Matthew or Victoriya visiting us.”

        “Do you believe those tall tales?” Maisie left Feya’s wheelchair and clutched her shoulder. “You’re nineteen, Feya.”

        “Says the girl who doesn’t think I can care for myself,” she countered. “Who knows, Maisie? Anything is possible at Disney. While I don’t believe in ghosts, I do believe the spirits of our loved ones follow us—in butterflies, lizards, and our dreams. We are one here, and I believe that includes spirits.”

        “What am I going to do with you?” Maisie’s fairy’s optimism was unbreakable. If she wanted to return to Veracruz at midnight, Maisie needed to tag along.

        Sigh, it looked like their DCP adventures were far from over.

 

To be continued…

0