Chapter 5: Morning spar
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Morning spar

Loud banging jolted Cain awake. He almost thought he was back at the orphanage until he saw Sasha's equally surprised figure sitting up in her bed opposite to him. Instructor Thorne lit the room's only lamp before yelling at them.

"Inductees, you have to five minutes to set your beds and change into your training uniforms!"

In a sudden frenzy, the Inductees clamored out of their beds to quickly organize their belongings and make their beds.

When the hell did Instructor Thorne get in here? She's as quiet as a cat!

Before long, they were all dressed, standing in front of their respective beds. Instructor Thorne gave them a dissatisfied nod.

"Good. But faster next time. Corova, you were over by a minute. Now! For every second you were late, you do a push up. Now everyone push!"

Cain grumbled inwardly. Better not upset Instructor Thorne any more.

Our actual physical training hasn't even started yet and we're already working out!

...

Red Squadron and the rest of the company found themselves sitting on a large open courtyard. Located within the maze of the Rock, the enclosure was about hundred meters a side. Cain was surprised that an open enclosure like this existed within the Rock. Considering the lack of windows, Cain assumed the entire building was self contained. Apparently not. Many of the Inductees were stretching their shoulders, obviously fatigued from doing push ups.

I guess we weren't the only ones that were slow.

Some of the Inductees, however, seemed just fine. Some harder looking children in the other squadrons were standing nonchalantly. Jorn looked unfazed, and if anything, Eleni looked excited. Horrow, surprisingly, looked pretty roughed up.

I thought nobles start training from a young age.

The Inductees were sitting in formation, four of each squadrons overseeing Instructors standing to the side. At the formation's head, a man in a training uniform stood in front of them. On his uniform were two pins. A wooden sword hung on his belt. He had a lazy smile on his face, his sunburned skin covered in freckles. His olive complexion contrasted with his blonde hair and shining azure eyes.

He was handsome, boyishly so.

"Hey there children! Welcome to the Institute. This place is called the sparring grounds. My name is Head Instructor Harvey el Bradforth. Just call me Sir Bradforth. I hail from the central continent, but recently moved here to teach you all the ways of martial combat! Fear not. Although I haven't attended an Institute myself, I fought my fair share of battles on the Western Front! Even served a year at Fort Bellona!"

Sir Bradforth gave Eleni a wink to which she simply raised an eyebrow.

He had a jovial attitude, which put Cain off. He seemed too carefree, too relaxed. It was the complete opposite as to what Cain expected from a Head Instructor. Especially one that was to teach them how to fight.

"I'll briefly explain what I will teach you all for the next year. Simply put, I will teach you how to kill and not get killed. I will train you with your limbs, swords, shields, and daggers. Instructor Bel here will personally teach archery if anyone is interested, but isn't a requirement like the others."

Sir Bradforth looked over the children, his eyes seemed to hover over Horrow's figure. Cain swore he saw his expression harden for a split second. His smile, however, never wavered.

"I would love to jump straight into teaching you the basics. Stances, how to swing your sword and whatnot, but I realized one of the best ways to learn how to fight..."

Sir Bradforth calmly grab held of his training sword. Just shy of a meter in length, Sir Bradforth lowered the sword so its tip was nearly grazing the dirt floor.

"...is by observing those better than you."

He gestured to the other four Instructors in front of him. Instructor Thorne stepped forwards, unclipping her own training sword from her belt. Soon, the Inductees were sitting by one of the steps of the sparring grounds. The other Instructors stood by another edge. Instructor Thorne and Sir Bradforth stood at its center around five meters apart.

Both parties bowed slightly. Instructor Thorne crossed the fingers on her left hand: the Prayer to Fa. Sir Bradforth opened his left fist, his thumb curled towards his palm and his other four fingers straight out. He then raised his hand next to his sternum, his four fingers pointing to his right, his thumb facing skywards.

A different Prayer?

Cain glanced over to where Horrow and Eleni were seated. Recognition seemed to flash through their eyes.

"Instructor Thorne, there will be no Blessings this spar. Let us simply test our swordsmanship."

Sir Bradforth smiled and Instructor Thorne simply nodded her head. Cold wind blew through the grounds, causing Sir Bradforth's training uniform to flutter. The tension in the air was palpable, tangible. Instructor Thorn raised her sword while Sir Bradforth stood casually.

Cain almost couldn't make out the first clash. Instructor Thorne dashed forward with incredible speed. Her body was hunched over, muscles rippling under the leather of her uniform. Staying low to the ground like a greatwolf stalking its prey, she covered the gap in a split second. Using her momentum, she delivered a powerful horizontal slash to Sir Bradforth's midsection. There was probably enough power in the swing to chop down an oak, yet Sir Bradforth parried it with relative ease.

Instructor Thorne quickly followed with two stabs. Sir Bradforth parried another, then slipped to the side. Turning to Instructor Thorne's offhand, he casually deflected blows while continuing to maneuver to her left. Instructor Thorne tried turning with him, yet he suddenly switched directions, closing in. Instructor Thorne, reacting to his sudden shift in direction, attempted a backhanded swing. Sir Bradforth simply squatted down while simultaneously stabbing Instructor Thorne in the armpit where the uniform was weaker. Instructor Thorne grunted in pain and backed off, sword raised.

Sir Bradforth's smile never left his face.

"The training sword I am wielding is the same one as you all have. Called the Jian, first made in the southern city state of Luoyang, it is a double-edged blade capable of both slashing and stabbing. It can be wielded both with one or two hands."

Sir Bradforth gestured to Instructor Thorne to continue.

"The sword is an incredibly versatile weapon. Not only can it be used to spill your opponent's blood..."

Instructor Thorne once again approached the man, albeit more reserved. She tested his reach and reactions, sending speedy jabs at his sword. Sir Bradforth seemed unfazed, not biting on her bait. Neck and shoulders relaxed, Sir Brathforth stood casually. Until he didn't. The Head Instructor's sword became a blur, shooting forwards at an incredible speed. He delivered a three set salvo with incredible precision. Instructor Thorne managed to deflect two before she was struck on the left shoulder while retreating. They continued circling each other.

"...the mere force of a swing can induce blunt force trauma. It is a jack of all trades: perhaps not the most effective weapon in every situation but a viable one in all."

Cain couldn't believe the skill of the two instructors. While it was clear Sir Bradforth was her superior in technique, it did not mean that Instructor Thorne was lacking in any way. Each of her moves were exact. Her footwork was incredible. Cain could almost see the physical transfer of energy from the ground, up her legs, into her core, and through her arms into her sword. Each of her movements were precise and powerful, each of her swings demonstrating calculated violence.

Cain could see the other children looking on the spar with awe. He was definitely no exception.

With a sudden movement, Sir Bradforth jumped forward. Instructor Thorne met him head on, locking blades. Instructor Thorne was confident in her strength that she built up with years of hard work. Yet Sir Bradforth did not yield. Cain's mouth hung agape as Instructor Thorne's hulking frame began to falter under Sir Bradforth's sword.

"The sword can be used in any environment. In a hallway, in an open court, on flat ground, uneven ground. In the mountains of the north, on the beaches of the south, in the central plains, and in the dense forest of the Greatwoods."

In a last ditch attempt, Instructor Thorne tried to stomp Sir Bradforth's lead foot. As if expecting it, he simple pulled his foot back while simultaneously pivoting on his back foot. Without the resistance of Sir Bradforth's sword, Instructor Thorne fell forwards. She rolled awkwardly, attempting to find her feet and maintain distance from her opponent. Before she could stand, however, Sir Bradforth's sword was hovering by her throat.

The world stood still for a moment.

Then Sir Bradforth moved his sword and offered his hand to Instructor Thorne. Cain inhaled. He didn't realize he was holding his breath. Instructor Thorne took his hand and was helped up. After dusting her back off Sir Bradforth turned back to the Inductees. He flashed them a charming smile.

"The sword will be the first weapon I teach you how to wield. Even before your own fists. Instructor Thorne's swordsmanship is the level I would like you all to aim for, perhaps even mine! Although I highly doubt that's possible."

Sir Bradforth and Instructor Thorne bowed once more, and then the Instructor rejoined her co Instructors to the side.

"Let me say one thing. What you learn here will decide your very future. Half ass training and you will find yourself bleeding out, gutted in the Greatwoods. Even worse, the backwards savages out there will hang you upside down from a tree and skin you alive! Train hard, and you may very well live through the Line! Now, let's begin training!"

Sir Bradforth and the other Instructors organized the Inductees into a large grid. Each Inductee brandished their swords. They were told to simply hold their swords and get used to its feeling. The wooden Jian felt incredibly unnatural in Cain's hands. He tested it's weight and realized it weighed a lot more than he thought. This further deepened his newfound respect for Sir Bradforth.

How on Fa's land did he swing that around with one hand?

Eleni stood nearby, excitedly spinning her sword in her hands. Obviously the Bellona - even a child - would be familiar with weapons. Jorn swung his sword with ease. As a blacksmith's child who helped forge actual metal swords, he wielded his wooden training sword like a toy. Horrow simply stared at the sword in his hands.

Cain sighed. Although those three most definitely eclipsed him in terms of both skill and potential, he was glad to see that there were others struggling around him.

Corova - the boy whose family owned a clothes shop - was struggling with bringing his sword back to position after swinging. Sasha and Melanie was having trouble even holding the swords out with arms outstretched. Some of the others who worked jobs that required strength seemed to be doing better. Cain himself was always forced to do chores and menial labor at the orphanage so he didn't consider himself weak.

Sir Bradforth glanced at some of the struggling Inductees.

"Don't worry children. While some of you may already be familiar with swords, most Inductees that come to the Institute are not. While its good to have prior experience, it is by no means necessary. Either way, the Instructors here will break you down and build you up from scratch. And you're all still growing! As you eat and train, you will build strength and muscle. Don't worry."

Sir Bradforth pointed back at Instructor Thorne.

"Work hard and you can become just like her!"

Some of the girls looked at Instructor Thorne's muscular physique and visibly wrinkled their noses. Even some of the boys seemed a little hesitant. Instructor Thorne saw some of the reactions and snorted.

"Now, let us continue! First off, I want you to stand the I'm standing. Just like this. Now raise your sword like this..."

...

Cain laid in a small puddle of his sweat. The sun had just started climbing into the sky but his body already felt done with the day. Many others similarly were lying down, simply unable to get up. Even Eleni and Jorn were sitting down, a far away look in their eyes.

Cain and the Inductees had just spent the last hour and a half simply holding their swords out while squatting in stance. 'The most important part of swordsmanship is building up your body. Stamina and strength are the foundations to any martial art! Technique is simply the multiplier applied to your fundamental attributes. Besides, in order to learn advanced techniques, you must have met the basic physical requirements.' Sir Bradforth had said.

Curse that man.

Cain's arms and legs were shaking. His shoulders burned from holding his sword outstretched. His wrists hurt trying to combat the torque of holding the sword parallel to the ground. His knees creaked when he stretched his legs. Even the soles of his feet were sore.

There was a whistle and Instructor Thorne's familiar voice called out.

"Up Inductees. Breakfast is in 10."

Cain groaned quietly. Unfortunately for him, the day had just begun.

0