Chapter 57
1.4k 8 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pier's weathered wood pulsed with the fading warmth of the setting sun, bathing Xu Yue in a soft, orange glow. Beside her, Li Miao's head rested on her shoulder, each gentle breath a feather-light touch against Xu Yue's skin. Li Miao's hair, soft as a kitten's fur, brushed against Xu Yue's cheek, and she carefully threaded her fingers through the silken strands, careful not to disturb the sleeping girl.

Across the pier, the rest of the group was a whirlwind of laughter and motion. Tang Jia, her face flushed, swatted at a playful Wei Lin, their abandoned food growing cold on the table. Xu Yue's lips curved in a small, hidden smile.

Thank you, Maomao…

Her heart felt light, buoyant as a lantern released into the twilight sky. Looking down at Li Miao, this girl who had brought her such unexpected joy, Xu Yue gently gathered Li Miao's hand in her own, savoring the warmth of her touch. This quiet contentment moment was created by Li Miao's presence.

For so long, her life had been a single-minded pursuit - to gain an education, to repay her aunt's unwavering love and support. She had relentlessly chased that goal, pushing past exhaustion and weathering every hardship, every barbed insult. The countless nights hunched over books, the sacrifices etched onto her soul - all were for her aunt.

But… things are different now.

The future she had never dared to imagine - a life after fulfilling her duty to her aunt - stretched before her, vast and undefined. She had always assumed that her life would be one of solitude, a quiet reflection of her own guarded heart.

After all, she wasn't one for romantic gestures, for the unrestrained outpouring of emotions. Her beauty, a double-edged sword, had only ever brought her unwanted attention, attracting those who craved power or a pretty trinket to display on their arm.

Only Maomao saw her, truly saw her, with a sincerity that disarmed her defenses. This girl, draped in luxury, radiating an effortless charm, desired nothing Xu Yue could offer - except for Xu Yue herself.

A sigh escaped Xu Yue's lips as a familiar unease crept into her heart - the chasm of status that separated her from Li Miao. While the Li family, warm and accepting, would never throw a disparaging glance her way, the whispers of those high-society circles, those fiends of gossip and judgment, would inevitably find their way to Li Miao's ears.

She herself cared little for such trivial matters, but Li Miao, with her tender heart, would be upset by any rumors against Xu Yue. She had made a promise, a vow whispered to the girl she loved, to never give her heart to another. And so, only one path lay before her.

“Mmm… Xu Yue… ehehe~ I love you…” Li Miao’s murmured words, soft as a sigh, vibrated against Xu Yue's shoulder, probably a sign of her peaceful dream.

There's no other choice. I have to become someone worthy of her.

Xu Yue's gaze swept across the horizon, tracing the fiery descent of the sun. Her thumb brushed across Li Miao’s hand, drawing the sleeping girl closer, seeking the warmth of their intertwined bodies.

* * *

The ethereal whiteness enveloped Li Miao once more, a familiar yet unsettling embrace. As her thoughts drifted to her previous encounter with the original Li Miao, she scanned the endless expanse, hoping to glimpse the enigmatic figure.

"Where could she be?" Li Miao murmured, a delicate finger tapping her lip in contemplation.

"Hello."

The sudden voice sent a jolt through Li Miao's body, her heart pounding as she whirled around to face the materializing form of the original Li Miao, a ghostly smile playing on her lips.

"Aiya! Don't startle me like that!" Li Miao protested, catching her breath. "And where have you been? It's been ages since I last saw you." She studied the girl before her, recalling the original Li Miao's absence in the months following the tumultuous events with Xu Yue.

"I did say I wouldn't be around much anymore." The other Li Miao's brows curved gently, evoking a wistful ache in Li Miao's heart. Despite their brief acquaintance, an inexplicable bond had formed between them—a connection that ignored the fact that Li Miao now inhabited the original's body.

"Are you... alright?" Li Miao asked softly, grasping the other girl's ethereally cold hands.

Tilting her head, the original Li Miao offered a gentle smile. "Still so softhearted. Even though I'm a bad person that bullied your beloved, you still worry about me."

"I don't think you're a bad person," Li Miao insisted, struggling to find the right words of comfort, but speaking from her heart.

"I wonder if you'd feel the same, knowing the truth." The other Li Miao's face turned cold, as if steeling herself for rejection.

Leaning forward, she tapped her forehead against Li Miao's, the icy touch sending a shiver through her skin.

Suddenly, a searing pain shot through Li Miao's head as a torrent of memories flooded her mind.

W-what's happening? My head...

A room materialized before the two: a young Li Miao perched on Chen Yuehua's lap, nuzzling her mother's embrace as they watched one of Chen Yuehua's old films.

"Mommy! You're so beautiful! If I make a movie, will I be as pretty as you?" Little Li Miao raised her arms, eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Of course, my little baby!" Chen Yuehua stroked her daughter's hair affectionately. "Do you want to be an actress like Mommy?"

"Mhm! I want to be a superstar!" The young Li Miao hugged her mother tightly, tiny fists clutching her dress. "Mommy, will you teach me?"

Amusement flickered in Chen Yuehua's eyes. "Absolutely! But Mommy won't go easy on you. Can you handle it?"

"Yeah! I can do it!" Little Li Miao pumped her fists, determination etched on her face.

"That's my girl!" Chen Yuehua kissed her daughter's cheek, receiving a return kiss from the eager child.

The two present-day Li Miaos stood to the side, observing the scene.

"What's going on? Is this your past?" Li Miao asked her original counterpart.

"Yes," the other Li Miao replied, her voice devoid of emotion. Taking Li Miao's hand, she led her through a doorway. "Let's keep going." 


Sorry about the chapter delay! I went on vacation and also took some time to do my own personal projects. I've written almost the same amount of words for the other novel I'm writing that wrote for Mistakenly Yours. I really like the concept of the other one and I'm just refining it a bit more. I'll be finishing off this novel before I post since I don't want to leave people off with an abandoned project. I'm happy that so many people have enjoyed this novel even though my writing was rough at the start.

33