43 – Countdown
75 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Matt told [Help] about how another beta tester had seen him and how he had used his mind palace skill to escape, but only temporarily.

“So, that’s why I need your help. I think I might be prepared enough, but there are too many variables.”

[Help] seemed to understand what he wanted now.

“I can only give you info relating to the system. How am I supposed to help? Just deal with it! It’s only another player!”

Matt’s eye twitched.

“Remember you said you would help. Or should I take my phone back now?”

“FINE!”

She crossed her arms before looking like she was deep in thought.

“From what you told me, you should probably escape, not fight.”

Matt sighed.

“Yeah, well, I already knew that.”

She continued.

“If you don’t have the map open, they won’t be able to track you.”

Matt sighed again.

“Yeah, yeah. I guessed that already!”

She looked at him with a strange expression.

“Couldn’t you just pretend to not be a player?”

There was silence in the air for a few seconds

“Oh.”

Matt realized that it had been so simple the entire time. If his map wasn’t open and they weren’t able to track him, there’s no way they would know who the other player was.

“Did you seriously not think of that yet?”

Matt looked embarrassed.

“Ok, listen. I’ve had a lot to think about, so don’t judge me!”

[Help] just looked irritated.

“So, if that was all you needed, I’m going back to browsing.”

After she said that, she started typing on his phone again. But then she looked angry again.

“It says there’s no wifi! Wait, this thing is barely functional, where are the apps!?”

Matt remembered they were in his mental space so when he pulled his phone out, it was just a mental recreation of it. He looked like he was about to burst out laughing. From the expression on his face [Help] seemed to realize why it didn’t work.

“Whatever. I’m going back. But you better let me use your phone when you get out of this.”

“Yeah, a deal’s a deal.”

With that, [Help] disappeared back into the system.

Matt looked at the faux phone with interest. So far he had only been able to create wooden objects or basic electronics, but a phone is pretty complex. Granted it only turns on and then shows a lock screen and then a blank screen.

‘Hmm. So maybe if I’m familiar enough with an object, I can create it here?’

He realized that he didn’t know how to make a book, but he was able to create the books here from his memory. So he at least now knew that the mind palace wasn’t knowledge-based, but familiarity-based.

‘That’s a lot easier. Though, I don’t have much of a use for things in here. Only the books are really useful.’

Matt stared at the timer on his mind palace skill again. It was already down to 3 hours remaining. He decided since [Help]’s idea would probably work well, it would be best to just use the remaining time to do some more grinding. It never hurt to be more prepared.

He looked over his stats and remembered he was close to leveling up again.

‘If only I could do a quest in the remaining time. Oh well.’

He looked through his quests and was trying to decide which one he should level, or if he should learn a new one from the pile. However, most of the remaining books were fairly mundane skills.

When he looked at the skills he had that were still level 1, none of them seemed like they would help a lot.

‘I guess I could always benefit from being better at fighting.’

He decided he would just focus on leveling his Kung Fu (Unspecialized) skill. It was a reliable martial art and would only really help.

[Time Left: 1:12:43]

The time quickly ticked by as he ground away at the skill. He had started to become nervous that he wouldn’t be able to increase its level in time. There was only 1 hour left and he still hadn’t seen the skill level up.

‘It doesn’t matter anyway I guess, but it would just be annoying…’

But just as the time was getting down to the wire, he finally heard it.

__________

[Kung Fu (Unspecialized)] has leveled up!

[Lv.1] -> [Lv.2]

__________

‘Finally. Honestly, I’m getting so tired of training. I can’t wait to be out of this stupid grassy field.’

He was a bit tired mentally and he realized he hadn’t slept in over 23 hours. He realized while time didn’t pass while he was in the mental space, he did get tired just as quickly as usual. So he probably still needed sleep.

‘I guess it’s time to face the outside.’

He thought about what his plan should be. It can just be quick and easy. The time was now getting close.

[Time Left: 00:16:32]

‘[Help], mentioned that all beta testers get the system at the same time, so they shouldn’t be too high level.’

When he thought about fighting them though, it still seemed too risky. They could’ve gotten some crazy skill or leveled up faster somehow.

‘So, that’s it then. I’ll exit, then I’ll just walk casually toward the bar. And finally, I’ll sit down and play it cool.’

He realized that this still could be iffy. If the player who was running after him didn’t care about the lives of civilians, then maybe he wouldn’t be safe.

‘What if he just starts killing everyone in the area?’

Matt shook his head. Surely the player wasn’t that insane. Were they?

‘I can’t think about it. It’ll just mess me up. I should just go with the plan.’

He thought a bit more and tried to figure out what he would do after.

‘So, I’ll sit in the bar for a good while and when I think it’s been long enough, I’ll casually walk out and away.’

He was incredibly nervous. Nothing about this was a guarantee, but he had to stick with the best shot he had at living. He suddenly remembered that he had been trying to visit his family before all this happened.

‘Well, I guess I can’t. There’s no way I’m luring a psychopath toward my family.’

With that final thought, the timer beeped loudly and Matt felt the pull of the skill turning off and him being brought back into the cold night air.

__________

[Alert]

Mind Palace [LV. 1] is out of time. Deactivating skill.

[Time Left]: 0:00:00

__________

-

-

-

-

-

__________

||Stats||

Name: Matt Peterson

Age: 18

LVL: 3 [XP 108/144]

HP | 25/30

MP | 0/0

Status Effects: +10% Speed, +10% Defense

-

||Attributes||

[Str] - 24

[Con] - 14

[Agi] - 23

[Dex] - 13

[Int] - 18

[Luk] - 12

[Cha] - 9

[Stat Points]: 0

-

||Skills||

Inspect [Lv.2], Map [Lv.2], Help [Lv.1], Storage [Lv.1], Mind Palace [Lv.1] (Time Left: 0:00:00), Self Defense [LV.2], Boxing [LV.2], Karate [LV.2], Kung Fu (Unspecialized) [+1 LV.2], Wrestling [LV.1], Judo [LV.1], Kickboxing [LV.1], Interpersonal Communication [LV.1], Basic Survival [LV.1], Running [LV.2], Freerunning [LV.2]

-

||Quests||

-General-

Reach LVL 5 [3/5] [Reward: +10 Unassigned Stat Points, +1 Artifact]

Compete in an event and win [Reward: +1 All Stats, +75xp]

Survive [Reward: +1 Unassigned Skill Point, +5 Unassigned Stat Points, +100xp]

-

-Daily-

*Daily quests not available in beta*

 

||Equipped||

Feet: Sports Shoes of Bursting Speed (Ability: Speed Burst)

 

||Storage||

-Items [3/25]-

Used Bullet [1], Gun [1], Knife [1]

__________

5