Ch. 2: Mom, why am I different? [2]
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the paper revealed to them, Kyril's heart sank—number one written on it. Kyril glanced to the side and saw Rudolf and Silmeria chuckling wryly at him.

The instructor then withdrew two wooden swords from his Magical Ring, “Alright, please take your sword.”

Heeding the order, Kyril and Rudolf closed the distance to the instructor. Unlike Rudolf who eagerly received the sword, Kyril just stared blankly at it. 

“Your Highness?” The man called out, snapping Kyril from his reverie.

“Y, yes!” With a heavy heart, Kyril reluctantly received the sword.

The man shifted his attention to the others and clapped his hands to gain their attention, “Alright, aside from Prince Rudolf and Prince Kyril, the rest could move to the side.”

Following the order, the group moved to the side. However, Silmeria halted her step and turned around, shouting, "Beat him for me, brother!"

Rudolf glanced at the sound and chuckled, "You don't have to worry about it," his glare fixed on Kyril. "I can easily beat him without using my Mana!"

Shortly, Kyril and Rudolf stood facing each other with their swords at the ready. In contrast to Rudolf's unwavering confidence, Kyril’s heart skipped a beat, his hands began to tremble, and sweat slid down his back.

"En garde!" The instructor bellowed, prompting Kyril and Rudolf to stand on guard.

The man watched Rudolf and Kyril alternately. "Prêts?" 

Kyril took a deep breath, calming his raging heart as he tightened his grip on the sword.

"Allez!"

The moment the word fell, Rudolf lunged forward and swung his sword. Kyril swiftly leaped backward to evade, allowing the boy's attack to hit an empty air. Right after Rudolf landed, he retrieved his weapon and brandished it horizontally. However, Kyril parried the sword sideways and thrust his blade, aiming at Rudolf's neck.

Rudolf bent his waist backward in response, causing the sword to pass his neck at hairbreadth before he jumped backward to create some distance. Standing on guard stance, they circled each other with their eyes locked in a fierce gaze. 

Rudolf sneered wryly, "Do you really think you can defeat me?!"

Pushing aside his taunts, Kyril reminded himself. 'Stay focused, stay focused.'

As Kyril observed Rudolf for his next move, he gradually calmed his pounding heart, and confidence grew within him.

In the next second, Rudolf dashed toward him, and Kyril mirrored his action. When the distance between them diminished, they waved their sword, and their weapons clashed, sending a clacking sound resonated throughout the air. They withdrew their weapon and wielded them anew. They collided once more and bonded, producing a hoarse scraping sound. 

Kyril and Rudolf exchanged intense stares as they exerted pressure on the blades. 

Rudolf smirked smugly, "Is that all you've got?"

"..." Kyril remained silent, his ruby eyes fixed on Rudolf, devoid of any sign of agitation.

Wasting no more time, Rudolf swept his leg to kick Kyril's shin, but Kyril took a step back, letting Rudolf's attack hit an empty air. The moment the pressure on the blade loosened, Kyril twisted his wrist and shoved Rudolf's sword to the side, sending him reeling backward.

Gasping the opening, Kyril leaped forward and cut at Rudolf's chest. Upon seeing it, Rudolf quickly regained his balance and swung his sword to deflect. Regardless, his efforts were in vain, leading him to rock rearward.

"Ugh!" Rudolf winced, a tingling sensation crept through his hand.

Nevertheless, before Rudolf could stabilize his footing, Kyril was already in front of him with his sword poised to attack. In a moment of panic, Rudolf waved his weapon to parry, yet Kyril unexpectedly grabbed his wrist holding the sword, halting his movement. Kyril pulled him forward and kicked Rudolf's heels.

"Argh!" Rudolf grunted, his backside kissing the ground with a thud. When a shadow fell upon him, he swiftly rolled sideward, narrowly evading Kyril's sword, which now jabbed into his previous spot.

Just as Rudolf scrambled to his feet, a powerful punch landed squarely on his cheek, sending him tumbling over heels across the ground, swirling a cloud of dust around him. Pain coursed through Rudolf's entire being, leaving him disoriented. As he gathered his senses to rise, the cold tip of a sword pressed against his neck, startling him and drawing gasps from onlookers.

Dominic, watching from a distance, chuckled. "It's rather foolish of Rudolf to challenge Kyril without using Mana. Has he forgotten how difficult it was to defeat Kyril before we unlocked our Mana Reservoir years ago?"

Callius, seated beside him, nodded in agreement. "Yeah." Despite being the youngest among them, Kyril was undeniably talented and intelligent.

Rudolf looked upward and found Kyril standing tall in front of him. Their gazes locked, and at that moment, Kyril's heart quickened with excitement as a rush of elation surged through his veins. It had been so long since he relished the thrill of a duel. Kyril removed his sword and offered his hand, yet Rudolf swatted his hand away. Surprise painted Kyril's face, the fleeting joy replaced by a cloud of gloom.

Rudolf hung his head low and gritted his teeth, rage simmering within. "Move." 

Rudolf's curt command echoed amidst the tense atmosphere, and Kyril complied without hesitation. 

Standing facing each other, Rudolf clenched his sword tightly and mumbled under his breath, "I'm... defeated by a Manaless?"

Rudolf let out a loud sigh and lifted his head, offering a crooked smile toward Kyril. Though he couldn't fathom the reason behind his smirk, Kyril reciprocated the gesture. In a sudden turn of events, Rudolf swung his sword toward him, compelling Kyril to raise his own. Nonetheless, upon noticing a faint blue light enveloping Rudolf's blade, Kyril knew that Rudolf activated his Mana.

A resounding crack pierced the air as Kyril's wooden sword snapped in half, scattering splinters like fireworks. When another attack rushed at him, with no time to evade, Kyril instinctively let go of his broken sword and covered his face with both arms to block it.

"Ugh!" Kyril wailed, staggering backward, agonizing waves of pain shot through his arm like fiery tendrils.

Before Kyril could regain his balance, Rudolf lunged forward, delivering a blow to Kyril's face. The force sent him sprawling, tumbling uncontrollably across the ground, a dense cloud of dust swirling in his wake.

Seizing the opportunity, Rudolf dashed toward the disoriented Kyril and relentlessly assaulted him with his sword, all the while bellowing, "You lowly human!"

"Argh! Stop! Please!" Kyril's cries for mercy fell on deaf ears as Rudolf's relentless attack continued. Kyril curled into a defensive posture, shielding his head with both hands.

Gritting his teeth in frustration, Rowan balled his fists and strode purposefully toward Kyril, only to be met by two knights blocking his path. 

One of them reminded him, “Escort Knight may not interfere in the training.”

Furious, Rowan retorted, “This isn't training--it's beatdown!”

The knight's stern voice held firm, "Sir, you better back off, or we will have to forcibly remove you from the training ground!"

Ignoring the cautionary words, Rowan forcefully shoved the knights away. To his astonishment, azure chains materialized, entwining around Rowan's body and feet, forcefully bringing him down to the ground, rendering him immobile. 

"Release me! Your Highness! Your Highness!" Rowan's shouts echoed as he struggled to break free. His eyes remained fixed on Kyril in the distance, a tumult of frustration and concern swirling in his gaze as the knights dragged him out of the training ground.

"You're nothing but a weakling, Kyril! You are that evil Manaless!" Rudolf's voice thundered amid the flurry of blows raining down on Kyril. Each strike echoed with a sharp crack, mingling with Kyril's desperate wails and pleas.

Rudolf raised his sword, ready to strike at Kyril, but a hand swiftly intercepted the blade mid-air. Startled, Rudolf turned to see Callius, his greyish eyes blazing with fury.

"Have you gone mad?" Callius forcibly seized Rudolf's weapon and flung it aside.

Yet, Rudolf just clicked his tongue dismissively and turned his back on Callius, his pride refusing to yield to reason. Ignoring the defiance, Callius shifted his attention to the instructor, his tone stern. "What are you doing? End this duel."

Taken aback, the man cleared his throat nervously and bowed. "My apologies, Your Highness." Straightening his posture, he announced, "The winner is Prince Rudolf!"

A heavy silence descended upon the room as Callius's expression darkened, casting an uncomfortable atmosphere that hung thick in the air.

However, Silmeria's cheerful clap shattered the tension, her jubilant voice cutting through the silence. "Yay! You did it, Rudolf! You're the strongest!"

Rudolf veered around to his sister, folding his arms proudly. "Of course!" he affirmed, nodding his head with a smug expression.

Annoyed by the celebratory mood, Dominic spat his mind, "Strength isn't just about winning, Silmeria. It's about honor!"

Silmeria scoffed and rolled her eyes in exasperation, "But Rudolf won, didn't he? That's all that matters."

Just as Dominic was about to retort, Kyril's pained moan was heard, causing heads to turn in unison. They turned to see Kyril struggling to sit, his movements labored and slow. Callius knelt beside him and jolted in alarm upon glimpsing Kyril's battered figure.

Dismissing the useless thoughts, Callius extended his hand, "Can you stand?"

However, Kyril flung his head to the side and rose to his feet, leaving Callius' hand dangling in the air. Dragging his limping feet, Kyril approached the instructor, his voice strained with pain, "May I go to the infirmary?"

The instructor nodded, "Of course, Your Highness. I'll inform the healer right away."

"Thank you."

With that, he turned away. Gritting his teeth, Kyril pushed through the agony, his steps faltering as he headed for the training ground exit. Every gaze trailed him until he vanished from sight behind the wall, leaving a palpable tension lingering in the atmosphere. 

Upon reaching the entrance of the training ground, Kyril's attention was drawn to the sight of Rowan, bound by chains. As the old man caught sight of him, Rowan called out, "Your Highness!"

The knights who had been guarding Rowan acknowledged Kyril's presence with bows before releasing the magical chains restraining Rowan. With their duty fulfilled, they then returned to their posts within the training ground.

Upon approaching Kyril, Rowan's steps came to an abrupt halt. His brown eyes widened in surprise at the sight of Kyril's battered visage. "Y, your Highness...?" Rowan's voice trembled with disbelief and concern.

However, Kyril hung his head and continued his stride, "Let's go."

As Kyril moved past him, Rowan swiftly positioned himself in front of Kyril, blocking his path. "Your Highness, shouldn't we go to the infirmary first?"

However, Kyril shook his head, his voice trembling as he murmured, "Please, I just want to meet my mother."

Sensing Kyril's emotional turmoil, Rowan knelt, offering his back. "Your Highness, please, get on. We'll reach Her Highness' palace in no time."

Kyril hesitated only for a moment before eventually accepting the offer. "Thank you." With that, he climbed onto Rowan's back, clinging tightly as they set off towards the palace.

Hurrying down the hall, Kyril and Rowan were met by several maids who quickly bowed in acknowledgment. Once they passed, the murmurs of the maids were faintly heard.

"Oh, looks like he's injured again. I almost feel sorry for him."

"Don't be! It's all thanks to the Manaless People; now we're stuck in a world overrun by demons!"

"You're right."

Kyril's chest tightened, and he unconsciously bit his lower lip so hard that the metallic tang of blood filled his mouth. Clenching Rowan's cape tightly, he buried his face in Rowan's shoulder, the fabric absorbing his tears. As Rowan felt the dampness seeping through his clothes accompanied by Kyril's trembling body, he knew that Kyril was crying. Wasting no more time, Rowan broke into a sprint.

...

Standing before the grand twin doors, Rowan urgently knocked, his knuckles rapping against the sturdy wood. "Your Highness, it's Rowan."

A woman's voice from within resonated through the air. "Enter."

Rowan opened the door, revealing a woman with flowing blonde hair seated behind a desk. However, her violet eyes widened in alarm upon seeing her son on Rowan's back. 

Rising from her seat, she hurried toward them, concern etched across her features. "What happened?"

Closing the door behind him, Rowan knelt, allowing Kyril to descend from his back. The woman abruptly halted her step and covered her mouth with both hands in surprise, her heart sinking at the sight of Kyril's battered form. Bruises marred Kyril's features, with traces of blood staining the corners of his mouth and under his nose, tears glistening on his cheeks.

"Mom..." Kyril's voice cracked. A sob escaped his mouth, and the emotion that he had been struggling to hold eventually burst, tears streaming down his cheeks unabated. Meeting her eyes, Kyril asked, "...why am I different?"

1