Ch.3 (Fear of the unknown)
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ran to the mountains maintaining as much cover as I could and thought of the encounter, I didn't feel I made any mistakes but perhaps they were startled maybe I resembled something they were enemies with, or perhaps I was just ugly in their view.

'hmmm I haven't really looked at myself in a long long while so it is likely, that I have made many mistakes ever since I came here the shock, pain, and madness before I came here are definitely the cause but I must be better.'

as I grew closer to the mountains I tried to check if I was being followed at all, I couldn't see any such signs so chose to go towards the lake I had found and properly look at myself.

'I look kinda dull perhaps ugly as well definitely not good looking, should I take on a human face? perhaps not but definitely humanoid I need some time to think this through.'

I didn't linger for long and left towards the cave I was staying at thinking I should move given the fact magic exists it's best to stay on the move so that I can enjoy life a little bit before I get killed maybe worse if I get unlucky. humming to myself gathered the few things I had made for myself a bag made using the extra mass I had that looked to be of leather.
'I wonder if something as simple as this could be used to track me? should replace it with a real leather bag when I get the chance'

I gathered some things for me to eat as I traveled and anything I thought might be able to track me. Still, I couldn't really be sure of anything so did my best and prepared to move on while destroying any traces of me and making it look as natural as I could then left while thinking that this was something I should have done from the beginning.

Once I was done I focused and made it so my body looked to be an armored human from head to toe in medium armor that I made sure to look tattered but functional then made a primitive spear out of some wood and moved towards where the sun was setting with no destination in mind.

[??? POV]

The reports I received recently were rather interesting especially when Jura mentioned that the entity might have been friendly, was it sapient or just naturally like that I know some spirits and they have a soft spot for children but none of them can even become anything like a null or a lost mage never thought I would hear about something that was like both, if that scout was smarter he could have been a mage but everyone as their limitations I suppose some more so then others and less mana then a squirrel I find that odd is the mana vortex not working lost mages are always menaces but a null can’t really become one could it be an experiment to given the use of mana gone wrong maybe even gone right.

‘Calm down, calm down there are other sources of power that are also just as strong as mana if not stronger even if mana trumps all in versatility’

I need to get that scout to ask a few questions about the distribution of its mana, if it was spread out and not circulating or around a core it might be ambient mana that is being forced inside it, now that would be painful and if it was then it most definitely is sapient hmmm.

‘Maybe a druid would help in searching for traces at least a place where it stayed for a little while should be enough to pinpoint it given what it is maybe a general direction at worst ’

I created a little bird form of mana and sent it to Jura to request for both of them, I doubt I would find something more interesting for a while and can keep most doing the minor experiments on the move haven’t left in a while so this is a good chance for me to stretch my legs.

[Jura’s location]

The bane of my existence, the enemy I could never defeat and would keep coming back again and again whenever I have time to relax just to make my life a living hell.

“Paperwork”

“Stop being so dramatic its not that much the new system has reduced it otherwise there would be 2 more stacks of it.”

Damn you for making sense I just got back and wanted a drink why do you have to give me this shit the moment I sit down.

‘Fuck’

Damn Rachel always pushing my buttons if only I could have had a nice lady as an aide my life would have been so much happier but no one is even as close to as efficient as her so I have to suffer.

‘No use dallying anymore let’s just get it done and get on with it.’

“Before you start send me the scout that attacked the entity and send for a druid specialized in tracking”

I looked at the little bird that the archmage sent and felt even more pissed off because I could hear the smugness in his tone that always comes up whenever he sees me suffering from politics.

“Rachel get archmage Elwin the druid but the scout can only go if he is done with his punishment by the time the druid is here or you take over what is left of his punishment”

“That is fine I hope the druid can get here quick then I could then use mind magic to read the scout and skip the questioning altogether ”

I signaled Rachal to get it done quickly as felt it might make it so I no longer have to discipline that idiot anymore yes that makes sense and as a bonus it makes me feel better cause basic feels too little a punishment for his rash actions.

Watching her leave I appreciated that she could at least act professionally in front of others then eyed the bird that had still not left.

“What else do you want Elwin”

“I was wondering if you had any more information on this entity or any thoughts on the matter.”

“Hmm let's see the arrow that was shot at it was not recovered and conventional scouts only found a damaged branch where it was shot at so either it has some form of disintegration or retrieved it, it is most certainly both fast and quiet leaving nothing behind for conventional tracking so a lot of things are pointing to it being sapient, mana sense is unlikely or else it would not have been startled into damaging the branch and scaring the small ones close to it, we were not attacked either so it should have some knowledge of civilization I would say if you intend to follow through on it then keep the druid with you and try to establish a friendly relationship.”

“Well I will have to prepare for my departure then let us get something to eat together and catch up before I leave.”

“Right then I’ll clear up some time by the end of the week and have Rachel send exact details.”

Turning back to the papers my mood became dour again as I got to it while trying to comfort myself that things should slow down after I am done with all of this.

0