Chapter Two: Welcome to Wyaninious
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Valenus’ eyes flickered open, and he sprang up, his heart pounding.

Gasping for breath, he scanned his surroundings, feeling a dull ache in his back.

Valenus realised he was lying on an old, rickety wooden bed, too ancient and uncomfortable to be his own.

As he cautiously rose from the bed, the cold, hard mud beneath his bare feet sent a shiver up his spine. His breath formed icy clouds in the air.

Valenus’ eyes darted around, slowly adjusting to the dim light filtering through what appeared to be a cave entrance.

The idea of a bed in a cave struck him as odd, but he shrugged off the thought and explored his surroundings.

In the midst of the cave stood a worn oak desk, seemingly out of place in such a setting. Drawn by curiosity, Valenus approached it and noticed a piece of parchment resting on the surface. To his relief, the writing was in English. Still, the uncertainty of his location lingered, leaving him unsure if this strange place was near his home.

Valenus carefully lifted the parchment, his eyes tracing over the words inscribed upon it:

“If you’re reading this, then you, like me, have been chosen by the video game you picked up. I’m still trying to figure out why I was picked. I’ve only been here a few weeks, but I can tell you this place is very different and more dangerous than Earth. To survive, you’ll need to find friends who can help you get used to this new world. I found some people who helped me; they even saved me from something resembling a dragon. I’m heading to a place called Zaitant in the far north. I hope to meet more people who can help, like the ones I’ve found. A word of caution: stay hidden. Avoid open areas and use trees for cover. There are lots of dangerous creatures here. I’ve stayed safe by staying out of sight. Good luck, and stay safe!

Val.”

Valenus’ eyes widened in disbelief, his breath catching in his throat.

The message on the parchment sent a wave of shock through him.

Confusion swirled in Valenus’ mind. What was this place? Why was he chosen? Should he stay put, hoping for a way back home? Reaching into his pocket for his smartphone, he intended to snap a photo of the note. Instead, he pulled out a pen and a piece of parchment.

Glancing down, he noticed another startling change: his comfortable cotton pyjama bottoms had transformed into dark, sturdy trousers. His simple white shirt was now a royal blue tunic. Goosebumps appeared on his arms.

“What is happening?” he murmured, barely audible.

With a sense of urgency, Valenus stepped out of the cave. He knew he couldn’t just linger there; he needed to find food and water. The reality of his situation was setting in, and he had to act.

As Valenus emerged from the cave, a vast expanse of trees greeted him, stretching miles into the distance. The forest was a mixture of colours, with trees enhanced in shades of pink and yellow, contrasting with the clear blue sky dotted with a few clouds.

An open grassland lay ahead, offering a clear view. Valenus started walking towards the treeless path but then halted, recalling the warning in the letter about staying hidden. The open space seemed exactly like Val’s mentioned danger - a potential trap.

Resolute in his decision to avoid the open grassland, Valenus moved northward, seeking the trees’ safety.

Darkness descended rapidly, transforming the forest into a realm of shadows and eerie sounds.

Valenus could hear the subtle rustling of leaves nearby, occasionally interrupted by distant, ominous howls.

Suddenly, a thunderous roar reverberated through the air, its intensity causing the earth to tremble and fear surging through Valenus.

Trembling, Valenus took refuge behind a sturdy tree, his heart pounding in his chest. He cautiously peered around the trunk, desperate to identify the source of the roar. Through the thick foliage, he glimpsed movement—a dark shape emerging into the open space. His eyes widened in shock at seeing an enormous wolf-like creature, its body long and sleek, cloaked in pitch-black fur, and its eyes a piercing blue. The beast lifted its massive head, its nostrils flaring as it sniffed the air, ears twitching alertly.

As the wolf turned its gaze in Valenus’s direction, Valenus quickly retreated behind the tree, his body quaking.

The wolf’s gaze lingered, its ears flattening against its head, sensing something amiss.

The wolf barked sharply, locking its eyes in Valenus’s direction.

Frozen with fear, Valenus couldn’t move or think.

Another roar, distant yet mighty, rang out, causing the wolf to snarl and then dart off into the depths of the forest.

Valenus stood motionless, his gaze fixed northward. He knew he needed to find shelter or assistance soon, the thought of reencountering the wolf weighing heavily on his mind.

The urgency of his situation pressed upon him, urging him to proceed despite the dangers that lurked in the shadowy forest.

Relieved to spot a lake ahead, Valenus hurried towards it, his thirst overwhelming him. As he bent down to drink, he was startled to see tiny spiders emerging from the water, crawling over him.

Valenus frantically shook them off, but his gaze returned to the water, filled with despair.

Despite the unsettling encounter, his parched throat and weakening body compelled him to drink. He had no choice; dehydration was a more immediate threat than the spiders.

Once his thirst was quenched, Valenus sat down on the vibrant green grass, his eyes scanning the surroundings. He spotted a few apples near a tree. Hungry, he ate them eagerly and noticed another note written in the same hand as the first. It read:

“I don’t know if you’re from Wyaninious or another world, but food is scarce here. That’s why many predators are hiding, waiting for an easy target—my advice: eat some of the food you find but not all, and keep heading north. You’ll eventually find a place where people gather for safety, away from the predators. It’s best to get there quickly, as predators always search.

Safe travels,

Val.”

Valenus carefully tucked the note into his pocket, pondering the mysterious Val.

How did this person seem to know so much more than what was revealed in the first letter? It had only taken him a few hours to reach this point from the cave.

He shook his head, dismissing the swirling questions, and followed the advice in the note.

Placing one apple into his pocket, he continued northward, sticking to the shelter of the shadows.

As Valenus walked, he noticed crows circling overhead, their eyes fixed on him, their calls echoing ominously.

Valenus’ hands grew clammy with nervousness, but he pressed on, even as the crows’ unblinking stares followed him.

Suddenly, Valenus collided with something hard and massive.

At first, it seemed like a tree hidden in the shadows, but then it moved.

Two glowing white eyes pierced through the darkness and smoke, locking onto Valenus.

Before he could react, Valenus felt a powerful force strike his head, sending him tumbling into unconsciousness.

Valenus’s limp body fell to the ground, and the shadowy figure grasped Valenus’s leg and dragged him deeper into the dark forest.

Notes from the Author:

I am looking for reviewers for my fantasy novel called The Swords of unforgotten Memories, if you would a free ecopy of the Novel and in hopes you will leave a review and help an indie out, please click link below to sign up and get the free book.

https://booksprout.co/reviewer/review-copy/view/151664/the-swords-of-the-unforgotten-memories-secrets-beneath-the-ripples

Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you are enjoying the story so far.

Would love to know your feedback especially for this chapter. I want to grow as writer and the readers ie you. Your opinion matters. So please provide feedback if you have time.

For advanced chapters, discord access, voting etc please check out my Ream account: https://reamstories.com/sheenso 

Please follow me for updates when the next chapter will be available. 

Please sign up to my newsletter via my website www.sheenaoloughlin.com

0