Ch. 19 Golden Path 5
15 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Will took his first step up the stone stairs. Remy followed suit and brought a small box out of his jacket. He flipped it open, and his thumb came out stained with an orange dye. With great care, he drew a line up his forehead to match the priest's and gave a quick prayer.

Remy smiled when he finished. "That's better."

Both boys made the climb, admiring the scenery. Hallucia was a green paradise. Will reached out and touched one of the tree leaves and felt its rough texture between his fingers. The wind whistled through the forest, and Will spotted shadows moving through the foliage. It was an animal of some kind. He strained his eyes, but the woodland creatures remained elusive.

The trek lasted for about fifteen minutes. The steps ended in an open-air courtyard, a ledge cut into the mountain itself. At the end of the stone platform was the cliff face, and built against it was a large two-story gatehouse, with three entrances.

However, the most notable aspect of the gatehouse was the three separate waterfalls cascading down from its upper level. Three pipes carrying water were evenly spaced above the second story; all of them had water flowing down it and it filled the pool in front of the gatehouse.

The students trooped up the platform and waited uncertainly. When most of them had made it up the stairs, the Gesun priest stepped forward and clapped his hands. "Please wait here for a moment. There are a few more making their way up."

Will nudged Remy. "What happens next?"

"The choice of the three rivers," he nodded towards the waterfall. "I'm not a Gesun; it's better if he explains it."

"We should both choose the same one," whispered Will. "It is better to stick together."

"And mess with the ceremony? Hell no!" Remy looked aghast. "You better do this seriously and not lie. Your choice must be your own."

"Fine, fine. I'll do it," said Will. "What? Why do you have that look on your face?"

"Crap," Remy cursed, looking over his shoulder. Will felt a chill up his spine and a tap on his back. He turned around and came face to face with Rebecca Wagner.

"You have been avoiding me, Dunn."

The class princess glared up at him with her hands on her hips. Her platinum blonde hair reached just above her shoulders in a blunt cut and framed her oval-shaped face.

Her green eyes stared unblinkingly at Will, who had to bite back a curse. He kept his face as neutral as possible when he answered. "You need something?"

Whatever she wanted, Will was adamant in his refusal. The mission came first, and he couldn't afford any distraction right now. Anything she said could wait.

Rebecca's frowned deepened. "I have been trying to reach you all week, but no matter. You are familiar with etherite tuning, are you not?"

"Uh, yes?" said Will, confused.

Rebecca nodded. "What are your plans regarding projects?"

"... I was about to do a CAD suit interface study, but that's put on hold," Will said vaguely.

"All the better, you are still undecided," said Rebecca. "I need a tuner who uses traditional methods for a new mech design, and you fit the bill. You will be working under me, of course. Funding, everything, will be taken care of. I just need you to handle the etherite tuning and the chip synchronization. What do you think?"

The suggestion threw Will for a loop. He had planned to refuse, but the offer was too good. The project's funds had been on his mind for a while now, but it had taken a back seat to his need for medical funds. With the project covered, he didn't have to choose between his health or his education. This was a golden opportunity.

Will took a glance at Remy, who didn't look happy at all. He had a suspicious look on his face, and Will sobered up quick. Good fortune doesn't just fall out of the sky. He remembered Rowan's warning to stay away from the Wagners. Was there something more going on here?

"Accosting the basers again, Becca?" A snide comment interrupted their conversation, and another blonde separated from the crowd, walking up to them.

"Patricia," Rebecca spoke in a clipped tone. "What are you doing here?"

"The same thing you are, sister. Recruiting." Patricia turned towards Will and offered her hand. "Patricia Wagner, as you know, I'm sure."

"William Dunn," Will said simply.

"Yes..." Patricia retracted her hand and eyed him curiously. She looked similar to Rebecca except for her sharp nose. Her stylized hair cascaded onto her shoulder in layers, and she tucked a single strand away from her face. "Whatever my sister is offering, I can double it."

"Patricia. Stop sticking your nose where it doesn't belong," Rebecca said hotly.

"I will, when you stop dishonoring the family, Becca." Patricia's words were ice.

"William." Rebecca turned towards Will. "I'll level with you. This year, there is a lot of interest amongst the professors in chip stability. A project based on simplifying chip requirements in adverse field conditions will be looked upon favorably. Especially Prof. Renquist. Most of our testing is based on his work."

"You are the only equivalent to a practical real-world expert in etherite tuning in our class. Both of us are here to leverage that. I also think that your contributions would shine more on my team than Patricia. The choice is up to you."

"Highly debatable," said Patricia. "I suggest you join me, Dunn. This project requires a delicate touch which my boorish sister is incapable of."

"Oh, shut up, Patricia."

"Still as eloquent as ever, Becca."

The sisters argued, and through the corner of his eye, he saw Rowan glowering at him. He pushed aside a couple of boys out of his way and stomped towards them.

"This is turning into a clusterfuck," Remy muttered from behind him.

Will's jaw tightened. He wasn't a saint. He hadn't forgotten his grudge against Rowan, but he was willing to let it go if it meant getting his family out of undercity.

His hands balled into fists. That said, if that upper-tower little shit stain stood right in front of him, he didn't know what he'd do.

Rowan strode towards them and placed himself behind the girls, glowering at Will. The taller boy said nothing, and Will looked back up, his nostrils flared. The girls fell silent, looking between the two boys.

The situation looked explosive. Everything was about to boil over when there was a sharp thwack of wood hitting the stone floor. The air shimmered, and Will felt like he was doused in cold water.

The feeling passed, and about a dozen priests came into the courtyard. Leading them was an old woman with white hair. She had the same orange robes as the priests, and in her hands was a wooden staff, which she tapped against the stone floor. On her forehead was a symbol, but unlike the Gesun, hers was a circle. She had a smile on her face as she watched the children with muddy gray eyes.

The Gesun, split amongst the student body, began instructing in low tones. The old priestess, on the other hand, headed for them.

With a final tap of her cane, she was in front of them. She took in a deep breath and made a flowing gesture with her free hand. They instinctively fell into her rhythm and copied her.

She held the breath for a few seconds and exhaled slowly. Will matched his breath with her tempo. She made them undergo the exercise three times until he felt all his tension leave his body. Everyone visibly relaxed, and a sense of calm descended on them.

The old priestess smiled, satisfied. With a thin, wrinkled finger, she pointed at the forest.

Will's eyes went wide. In between the trees were several deer watching them, their tails flicking nervously. They stood stock still, afraid to spook the creatures.

Not more than a few seconds passed, but it felt longer. It was something out of a fairy tale. The deer gave them one last look and trotted back into the forest. The spell was broken.

Will blinked awake, as did the rest of the group. Remy stepped forward and bowed to the old priestess. "All Mother."

"Remy Soto," she smiled. "How are you, my child?"

"I am well, All Mother."

"As well as you should be," she said, "but not as well as you could be."

Remy shifted uncomfortably, and she looked around at the rest of the group. "I see all but one of you are awakened, and yet here you are. Curious..."

The old priestess placed both hands on her staff and faced Rowan. "Another Kade, I see. I saw your father when he was here to make his choice. Precocious little brat he was."

Rowan's lips twitched but chose to remain silent.

"Yes, yes," she nodded as though in confirmation. She pointed at the pool in front of the gatehouse. "I remember the choice he made too. Will you be following in your father's footsteps or decide to walk on your own?"

A Gesun hurried forward and bowed to the priestess. She waved him off. "I'll look after these children. See to the others." The priest bowed again and left.

"Now, children," she began. "The sun temple is further up the mountain where the awakening ceremony will be held. But before you ascend, you need to make a choice, as to why you wish to ascend." She gazed back at the waterfall.

"Is it for health," she pointed at the first spout. "Or perhaps wealth?" She gestured to the middle one. "Or maybe it is fame. This is the choice of the three rivers."

"Think about what you want from life. What are your goals? What is your dearest wish? Think on that before you make your choice."

Will looked at the three falls with apprehension. Remy looked thoughtful. The rest fell into an odd sort of silence as they regarded their choice.

"Remember this is not a test," continued the old priestess. "This is a promise that you are making to yourself. Whatever you choose, know it is a choice. Walk that path with courage."

"Now go on," she ushered them with her cane. Remy yelped when she prodded him forward. "There is no need to be timid. Go and make your choice."

Will was the last to step forward, and he heard the priestess mutter in passing. "What will you become, little stars? What path will you walk?"

 

Advance chapters on RoyalRoad (+20 Chapters) Fire at Will [Mech Sci-Fi Military]

2