Ch. 40 Goodbyes and Hellos 1
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

GOODBYES AND HELLOS


Will stuffed his already full backpack with his set of tools. The multimeter and tuner went in last, and he struggled to close the zip.

"Don't forget to pack a few towels," his mother instructed. "And your medication. You look so pale, honey. Are you sure you are getting enough sleep?"

"I'm fine, Mom," said Will. "The course is only for a few months. I'll be back before you know it."

"I know, sweetie, but you can't blame me for worrying." She fussed over his jacket and shirt.

"The mech course is good for my grades," said Will. "I've got something good lined up for the project too. When I get up the tower, I can make enough to—"

"You don't have to worry about credits, hun," said Mom. "Now is the time that you should be focused on your studies."

She dusted off a spare piece of lint off his shirt. "We have enough saved up to move up the Tower within the year. So, stop worrying."

"Okay, Mom," said Will.

His mother patted him on the cheek. "I know messages are hard in and out of the tower, but try to send word once in a while."

Okay, smiled Will and slung his backpack over one shoulder.

His mother escorted him out of the small apartment and watched him make his way down the stairs. Will took two steps down at a time and exited the apartment complex. As he left the compound, he took a glance back and stared at the random bullet holes in the buildings. No matter how well defended Belgrave was, a few stray shots did manage to get in. The city was getting more dangerous by the day, and he didn't think they had a year to make it out.

With dark thoughts on his mind, Will made his way out of the protected compound. His boots clanged on metal walkways, and he trudged his usual route to the bazaar. The trade center was busy as ever despite the recent unrest. The reconstruction was well on its way, and business didn't stop. People just haggled with more intensity with rubble strewn around them. The main difference he spotted was the number of people carrying weapons.

Will stuck to the main streets as he made his way to Uncle John's Odds and Ends. He was a few storefronts away from the old hardware shop when he spotted Remy and Becca. The two of them were standing in front of a run-down shop peddling some throwaway junk.

Remy looked utterly frustrated while Becca looked around with fascination. She asked pointed questions to the shopkeeper, who was only too eager to indulge her whims, sensing a rich customer.

Will crept over and tapped Remy on the shoulder. "What are you doing here?"

Remy flinched at the sudden approach but calmed down once he saw it was Will. He jerked his head towards Becca. "She dragged me here. Said she wanted to see the undercity."

Will looked at Becca's perfectly manicured nails and fifty-credit haircut. "At least rub some dirt on her face," Will muttered, and Remy laughed.

"Like that would work," said Remy. "A tourist is a tourist."

"I'll be back after checking on Uncle John. Keep her out of trouble," said Will, and Remy rolled his eyes.

Will walked down the pathway and found the old machine hardware store. The outer wall had been repaired and now needed plastering. Uncle John was off to the side overseeing the work. The old man seemed to have recovered well, yet his beard was considerably shorter. He broke into a bright smile when he spotted Will.

"William, my boy!"

Will waved and jogged the rest of the way towards the old man. He gave a quick look around to see if his cousin was nearby and breathed a sigh of relief when the coast was clear.

"It is good to see ya, lad." The old man guffawed and thumped Will on the back.

Will staggered but smiled. "I knew no Revenant scum could keep you down, old man."

"Oh, I ain't keeling over just yet." Uncle John laughed again but soon got serious. He pulled Will close and said in a low whisper, "Careful there, lad. You best keep your thoughts on them quiet for now."

"Is it that bad?" asked Will in a low tone, and old John nodded.

"The separatists have a lot more supporters than ya think. It is getting dangerous."

Will bit the inside of his cheek. "I'm starting to wonder if I should leave. I could stay and help."

"None of that, lad," said Uncle John. "There are plenty of men capable of defending the city. Don't worry about your ma and little Ellie. Belgrave is well defended, and we are all here. Go without worries." He patted his back, and Will's knees buckled.

"Oh, that reminds me," old John continued. "Ellie has been waiting by the shop for a while now. Where is that girl? She was around here somewhere."

Uncle John looked around, and Will spotted a yellow blur headed for him. Ellie tackled him in a hug, nearly knocking him off his feet.

"Ellie! What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at school?"

"I wanted to see you before you left, and school sucks anyway." Ellie pressed her head into Will's chest. "You are never home, and now you are going away."

"Only for a little while," said Will.

"You always say that."

Will sighed and looked at Uncle John.

"Don't worry," said old John. "I'll have Angus escort her home."

"I wanted to see Angus and Mary too," said Will. "Are they here?"

Uncle John shook his head. "He's out on an errand. He won't be back for a while. Mary is back at home. I'll let them know you thought of them."

Will sighed and then asked nonchalantly. "I guess Ryder isn't here either?"

Uncle John frowned. "Ryder? Last I heard, your cousin was away on a job. He said it would take him a couple of months."

"That's a shame," said Will but breathed a sigh of relief internally.

A yell came from one of the workers, and Uncle John yelled some instructions back. The old man turned to the siblings. "I have to go check on the construction." He patted Will on the shoulder once again. "You take care, kid."

"I'll see you soon, old man," grinned Will, and he watched the old John march off to join the construction crew.

Will felt a tight pressure on his chest to find Ellie still clinging to him.

"Planning on letting go of me any time soon?" he asked.

"No," said Ellie.

"What if I said I got you a present?"

"Present?" Ellie sniffled.

Will rummaged around his jacket and brought out a box of sweets.

"Eclairs?" Ellie squealed and hugged the box close to her. "Oh, thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Don't eat all of them at once," said Will. "You know how Mother feels about those."

"I won't." Ellie lowered her box of sweets with a smile. She was about to go into her usual chatter-filled tirade when she spotted something behind Will, and her smile faded from her lips; instead, she had a look of deep irritation.

Will glanced behind to see Remy stomping his way towards them, looking irate.

"Unbelievable," he said to Will. "She won't listen to me. She is being robbed blind, and she is happy about it."

Remy glanced at Ellie in surprise. "Oh, it's the midget."

"Hello, flagpole," said Ellie.

Remy cupped his right ear and feigned a look of confusion. "Huh? I'm sorry; I can't hear you from up here."

"Then don't hear. I'm not talking to you." Ellie turned towards Will and gave him another hug. "I'm going to miss you."

"Me too, kiddo," said Will. "Don't give Mom too much trouble while I am away."

"I won't," said Ellie.

Remy chuckled, "Later, midget."

Ellie smiled sweetly and then promptly stomped on Remy's foot. The brunet howled in pain, and Ellie ran away laughing towards Uncle John.

Remy hopped on one leg and shook his fist at Ellie, who stuck her tongue out at him and hid behind the old man.

"Damn that little—" Remy cursed but stopped when he caught an annoyed look from Will.

A quiet chuckle came from behind them, and both boys turned to find Becca standing there.

"It's nice to see you have the same effect on women everywhere," Becca laughed.

"Oh, screw you too, princess," said Remy while he rubbed his aching foot.

Will checked his slate. "Come on, we are cutting it close. We should have headed out by now."

Becca nodded, and Remy put his foot back down, and they fell in step behind Will. They walked about a dozen paces when a yell came from behind them.

"Bye, Will," called out Ellie. Will smiled and waved back.

"Who is that?" asked Becca.

"His little sister," said Remy.

"What, really?" exclaimed Becca. "I should meet her!"

Will firmly pushed her forward. "Later, we don't have time."

Becca walked backward and enthusiastically waved at Ellie until they turned the corner street.

"She has gotten a lot bigger than in your old photos," said Ellie.

"Though not by much," chuckled Remy from the side. "Anyway, guys, how about some enthusiasm?"

When he was met with blank stares from Will and Becca, Remy sighed. "We are about to pilot some mechs. Become one with the machine. Control a ton of pure carnage. Are you two ready?"

Will nodded grimly. "Yeah, thanks, guys, for sticking with me. I know I have to go, but you two didn't."

"Aye! Don't get sappy with me." Remy swung an arm over Will's shoulder. "I would have gone anyway, and so would Becca."

Becca nodded. "It is a good source of school credit."

"So, turn those frowns upside down 'cause we are going to be playing with some mechs," said Remy, giddy with excitement.

Will's lips twitched and he nudged Becca. "You should watch out when he gets like this. It's times like these he'd suggest something truly insane."

"Guys, have you thought about—" began Remy when he stopped in mid-sentence, registering what he heard. "Hey!"

Becca laughed.

"Fine, be that way. But I'll tell you this much. This is going to be great, guys, I can tell," said Remy. "I got a feeling."

"Woman's intuition?" asked Becca.

"Watch it, princess."

"Or what? You will have more feelings again?"

Will smiled as he heard the two bicker. He glanced behind him once again. The titanic foundation pillar that marked the city loomed overhead. Will watched the giant 37 peek out from behind a group of buildings, but it was soon obscured by a column of smoke rising from the south end of the city.

Will's eyes narrowed. Tensions still simmered within Undercity, and there was no telling what would happen next.

He nudged Remy and Becca forward. "Come on, you two. Let's go."

Hopefully, he wouldn't be away from the city for too long.

 

Advance chapters on RoyalRoad (+20 Chapters) Fire at Will [Mech Sci-Fi Military]

1